HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN: Ascension Patch Video

Game News

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#121 FurrMe

FurrMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted September 02 2013 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image

#122 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostMidnight_Wyvern, on August 31 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

View PostXionos, on August 31 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Of course they can make improvements to the old HUD. I just wish they would keep it with the style of Hakwen. Hawken is supposed to be a dirty Future type setting, not everything is pretty, and our Mechs are held together by Grit, Ducktape, and Dreams.

The new interface seems too clean and digital, looking almost like High-Sci-Fi. I'm not saying we can't have things like the healthbar; but we need to keep the Aesthetic feel that fits in with Hawken. This isn't just another FPS shooter OR another Mech game.

The new cockpit also lacks several of the old readouts that our old cockpit had, no Altimeter, Accelerometer, or Compass. All that stuff wasn't just screen clutter, it was part of the charm of Hawken.
At the end of the day, though, what matters most is playability.

This new HUD gives you the information you need more clearly and with less "visual noise", to make for a less distracting and more precise experience.

I'm honestly fine with it.  It now has a nice blend between just gauges in the cockpit, and what looks like a cheap hack job someone did in a helmet visor to give more data.  Doesn't look futuristic enough to me that it breaks the feeling the game has had up to this point as far as tech level.

This is one of those cases where a priority was made on function over form and was a decision made by the art and design team to make that information easier to read, detaching it from the shaking that happens with the cockpit to help reduce gameplay fatigue. The art team also wasn't able to make armor and fuel easier to read and still keep a cockpit looking like a cockpit. We would love to give more options to the player, allowing users select the style themselves and customize the HUD but that's work on UI, design and art that we have not had resources for unfortunately so it's on the backlog for us at the moment.

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#123 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted September 02 2013 - 10:52 AM

Hughes, could you possibly comment on a time frame of when the patch notes are likely to be released_

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#124 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostGreenfox21, on September 02 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

Its still in the monring.. earlier mornings. Where Hawkenites devs live.

So long way young padawan.

And MAYBE its only patch notes, not the patch itself ^^. Just saying~
If you want to know what gmt. Most likely around -6 or so~
For me its around 7 Hours timedifference.

The patch notes will be posted this afternoon PST and our target release date of the patch will be announced as well (no it's not today especially since this is a national holiday here in the states).

Jason Hughes

#125 kaoticfish

kaoticfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the quick update Hughes, we're all excited to see the cool stuff you guys have been cooking up.

#126 Dackstrus

Dackstrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationKami's Lookout

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:01 AM

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on September 02 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

The patch notes will be posted this afternoon PST and our target release date of the patch will be announced as well (no it's not today especially since this is a national holiday here in the states).

Ugh... It's not going to be until next week is it_

Why on earth did you start previewing like this and yet, make us continue waiting_

You've kinda got the TF2 thing down.. But thing is, your supposed to give us patch notes and the patch on the last day of updates. Not  a week or two later.

Spend that time on the patch, not trying to hype people up earlier then is needed. It was kinda like, Yeah! Here comes a long weekend with a big new patch!.... Oh... Wait no, You just get to watch a little video all weekend. Then monday happens and YEAH! It's the... Oh.. Still just waiting..

You need to work on timing. If you had been giving us information along the way, little bits here and there, it would'nt be quite like this. But with that big full week of updates and then nothing for awhile after that_ Not the best play... I'm going to go off and do other things for a week... Let me know when you're, you know... actually ready, instead of just shooting off smoke. DX

Edited by Dackstrus, September 02 2013 - 11:03 AM.

One should always know better...
I don't speak often. But when I do...
Vanguard: Fat@$$
Berserker: Drammel
R.I.P. Assault of Alpha 2: Popo The Black

#127 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostDackstrus, on September 02 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

Why on earth did you start previewing like this and yet, make us continue waiting_

You've kinda got the TF2 thing down.. But thing is, your supposed to give us patch notes and the patch on the last day of updates. Not  a week or two later.

Spend that time on the patch, not trying to hype people up earlier then is needed. It was kinda like, Yeah! Here comes a long weekend with a big new patch!.... Oh... Wait no, You just get to watch a little video all weekend. Then monday happens and YEAH! It's the... Oh.. Still just waiting..

You need to work on timing. If you had been giving us information along the way, little bits here and there, it would'nt be quite like this. But with that big full week of updates and then nothing for awhile after that_ Not the best play... I'm going to go off and do other things for a week... Let me know when you're, you know... actually ready, instead of just shooting off smoke. DX

You need to work on that attitude, nobody is actually making you sit here and wait. This whole post reeks of entitlement issues.

Edited by Beefsweat, September 02 2013 - 11:09 AM.

Posted Image

#128 JoeX111

JoeX111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:10 AM

To be fair, they never said the patch was coming out today. Just the notes. If you thought otherwise, well, that's on you.

#129 BLTasty

BLTasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSmall Town next to a REALLY big city

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:13 AM

Just want to shout out to the devs here. This upcoming patch looks awesome. Looking forward to investing some serious time into my Heavies.  A is for agile, B is for Beefy, C is for CLOBBERING TIME FOOOLS!!!!

#130 Dackstrus

Dackstrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationKami's Lookout

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on September 02 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

You need to work on that attitude, nobody is actually making you sit here and wait. This whole post reeks of entitlement issues.

Ahahaha. Hush now small child, Adults are talking.
It's not about entitlement, it's about properly working up people. They did it wrong. There is an order you should follow if your going to be a constantly updating F2P game.

Monday: First cosmetic showing
Tuesday: Minor gameplay tweaks
Wednesday: Second cosmetic showing
Thursday: Major gameplay changes
Friday: Video, Patch notes, and patch. Patch is out before noon to give time for any emergency fixes.
Saturday, Sunday: Everyones playing.

This is how it should go. Every time. They should have held back the week of info if they were not ready is my issue, not that it's not out today.

View PostJoeX111, on September 02 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

To be fair, they never said the patch was coming out today. Just the notes. If you thought otherwise, well, that's on you.

I wasn't asking for the patch today, my complaint is how the hype up worked.
One should always know better...
I don't speak often. But when I do...
Vanguard: Fat@$$
Berserker: Drammel
R.I.P. Assault of Alpha 2: Popo The Black

#131 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostDackstrus, on September 02 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

View PostBeefsweat, on September 02 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

It's not about entitlement, it's about properly working up people. They did it wrong. There is an order you should follow if your going to be a constantly updating F2P game.

Friday: Video, Patch notes, and patch. Patch is out before noon to give time for any emergency fixes.

This is how it should go. Every time. They should have held back the week of info if they were not ready is my issue, not that it's not out today.

View PostJoeX111, on September 02 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

You make a lot of assumptions in your post and there are 1,304 things you aren't aware of that have impacted dates, our schedule, deployment and when information becomes available. I promise you we want this patch out more than anyone and players will be able to get it soon (soon or imminently or whatever term we've loved to use here in the past! LOL).

EDIT: As a bit of fun tidbit, our release date for this patch has changed a good 4 times for a variety of reasons and not all of them were related to the actual client itself.

SECOND EDIT: Don't give Dackstrus a hard time, he's a passionate fan and it's appreciated. :)

Jason Hughes

#132 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:27 AM

I find it extremely hilarious that you say that and yet your entire post is childish whining, and that you can't even make the proper distinctions between the proper your, you're, etc contractions. Pro tip, calling people children over the internet tends to imply one's own younger age.

Adhesive, hire this man quick! He's clearly a true arbiter of game development.

Edited by Beefsweat, September 02 2013 - 11:29 AM.

Posted Image

#133 JoeX111

JoeX111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:32 AM

Really_ Because your comments seem to imply otherwise:

But thing is, your supposed to give us patch notes and the patch on the last day of updates. Not  a week or two later.

Then monday happens and YEAH! It's the... Oh.. Still just waiting..

I'm going to go off and do other things for a week... Let me know when you're, you know... actually ready, instead of just shooting off smoke. DX

#134 TheVideotapes

TheVideotapes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:36 AM

The word "entitlement" is the Godwin's Law of gaming forums.  As soon as someone calls someone else "entitled," you may as well bring out the fuzzy bunny because actual discussion just went out the window.

I, too, am excited for the update.

#135 RED_FIVE

RED_FIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationHangar Bay

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:38 AM

The victimization and entitlement from some players is mind-boggling.
To have absolutely no involvement in the development of a FREE game and still make crazy demands and unfair insults is ridiculous.

Kudos to the devs for still working hard on a game for the same people that harass them and call them lazy.

Back on topic: thanks for the update Zamboni. Can't wait to see the patch notes later today.

Edited by RED_FIVE, September 02 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Posted Image

#136 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:53 AM

The fact that the devs are working on Labor Day is mind blowing, IMO. I thought these guys would get the day off. Yet here they are, toiling away to get this patch ready to roll out.

Seriously hardcore, devs. Much respect. B)

Posted Image

#137 Greenfox21

Greenfox21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hessen

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:53 AM

For exapmles, if an Holiday is breaking in on an planned patch day. Or if you found a gamebreaking bug through a tester a few days ago, that isnt fully solved (solved jes, but not fully integrated in the new patch...without makeing MORE bugs).

Patching can be sooooooo difficult. They know what they do. Atleast we hope soo ^^.
*hugs Hughes*

Just post the Patch Notes later today, i am gonna go sleep now. And read it in the Morning before going to the Gym~ Holiday rocks, need to build up muscles... i can lose as soon as i will power game hawken again ^^.

Ahh and jeah. They didn't build up unessacary hype.
EQN is doing it..
Or Wildstar.

Hawken Team simply postponed it to be a bit further out, because of "many things". Doesn't hurt most people, as many "waiting for patch, not playing" people. Wait for the "mail" we get most likely when its patchy day ^^. Atleast i get that, most times ^^.

Edit: And the resaons patch notes out now, people want to read them. And would have gobbled them up even 1 month before.. and knowingly that ti will change again. Hungry for new hawken big patch.. everyone is ^^!
Love is like an Exotherme Reaction. As soon as it started, it will grow infintly.
Till it used up all the matter which let it react all that time~
Just be careful, how much of that matter you burn up for each second of your love.
You don't want to burn yourself on Love~

#138 WhoaTony

WhoaTony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:54 AM

Just some passing thoughts, but as someone who hasn't played in ages, and is returning for the incoming Oculus Rift support, I can understand some of the decisions made in regards to the hud. As you may or may not know, the devkit has a rather low resolution, so that has to be a large factor to work around in order to develop for the current version of the rift. This essentially would have made the original hud unplayable as finer details and text simply can't be resolved or read easily in the rift.

Abilities now seem to have a larger timer, and items have a physically shifting indicator to easily display availability. The new health and fuel bars are copping a bit of flak, but again, having a big clear bar is much more readable in rift, and having it floating attached to the player's camera is a cool practical mechanic, as health will now always be visible whilst looking around.

Problem is that the old health/fuel is more immersive on a 2D monitor, while the new is more appropriate for the rift. I just wanted to explain my guess to anyone that is wondering about the point of the new hud design.

#139 Xionos

Xionos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 12:00 PM

I don't see an argument here, nor a need to harass anyone who is upset about the patch not being out.

It's the developer's job to get content made and get that content to the consumer, that's how they make money. If they could get you the patch in without downsides in a timely manner they would, it's in their financial interest. Since they didn't it's logical to assume that they did this for the sake of the players since it's in their financial interest to do so.

Just state this plainly and clearly. For those of you that do understand this, there is no reason to harass the people that don't understand it after you tell them.

#140 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 12:18 PM

Are you not aware that **** goes wrong_ Even in small patches major bugs suddenly pop up leaving down time, by down time I mean a day or more, not half an hour. That's with a small patch, that happens with pretty much every mmo title. This is pretty much Hawken 2, if you want a patch on a weekend, not to mention a LONG weekend then I would expect not to be playing until the middle of next week when the major bugs hit.

Not to mention your asking the entire team to work through the weekend for damage control. I really rather have a patch where they can fix all the bugs THEN I can play on the weekend. I think Zamboni actually did an excellent job at giving information this time (well the last bit when he could), people were excited, gave something to talk about and gave the team enough time to finalize the patch without holding information to the last minute.

Edited by Sylhiri, September 02 2013 - 12:22 PM.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, News

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users