HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN: Ascension Patch Video

Game News

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#41 dokus

dokus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 07:15 AM

Wasabi_Wei, on August 31 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Hey dokus (and LOTS of other folks) - See that visor on your profile pic_ Well, fancy ones like that project crucial data right onto the glass in front of the pilot's eyes. True story. That way they don't die while craning their neck to spot a bogey at 5 o'clock etc. The old style is comic-book cool but hardly realistic unless these mechs have been made from 1950's-era parts. I support the option of being able to select either one, but that is probably not feasible right now.
that is why i don't deny it, im only voting for option to choose between.

And why wouldn't it be feasible i don't understand _

#42 HKN_player

HKN_player

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 07:24 AM

View Postaxxoe, on August 31 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

Cool video, worth the wait. Also at 1:50 there's a limit/end to the pilot rank system ! That's achievable.

yea i can see some people be like ''im at max level now, no reason to continue playing bla  Posted Image...

COME ON WITH THIS PATCH ALREADY , HOLLY FUZZ :blink:

Edited by HKN_player, August 31 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#43 Jsusgarcia179

Jsusgarcia179

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 08:10 AM

s'ok guys, you won't be upset with what they give us.

Edited by Jsusgarcia179, August 31 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#44 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted August 31 2013 - 08:46 AM

Notes out on the 2nd, normally they release the patch a week or sooner after the note come out. So that means patch will hit either (if we are lucky) on the same day as the notes, that Thursday after on the 4th, or the Tuesday after on the 10th. Place your bets now.

C's got a 50 point health boost I do believe.

#45 Hink

Hink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA ,FL

Posted August 31 2013 - 08:54 AM

Awesome I like everything in the new patch, but the new hud I feel the heath & boost meter should of been left where they were. You know as a big dial with the fuel meter in it, it just fits right into the mech & the mechanics of the game.

#46 Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostShadowWarg, on August 31 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Place your bets now.
October 18th.
After disabling signatures I found my forum-browsing experience had improved marginally.

#47 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted August 31 2013 - 09:17 AM

View Postdokus, on August 31 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Wasabi_Wei, on August 31 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Hey dokus (and LOTS of other folks) - See that visor on your profile pic_ Well, fancy ones like that project crucial data right onto the glass in front of the pilot's eyes. True story. That way they don't die while craning their neck to spot a bogey at 5 o'clock etc. The old style is comic-book cool but hardly realistic unless these mechs have been made from 1950's-era parts. I support the option of being able to select either one, but that is probably not feasible right now.
that is why i don't deny it, im only voting for option to choose between.

And why wouldn't it be feasible i don't understand _

It is not a easy to make a solid game as it is to slap a HUD mod into a single-player game where users can simply delete the mod that caused a conflict and move on. The ability to change HUD color in the Live/OB client was / is buggy right now for some folks. I do not understand the how's and why's - I just notice that in mods HUD changing mods are a common offender in crashing and that in Hawken the color change has been problematic.

Also the Ascension Patch runs better - maybe the active old HUD was part of the problem_ (total guess)

Edited by Wasabi_Wei, August 31 2013 - 09:19 AM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#48 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted August 31 2013 - 09:25 AM

Maybe if the health bar curved along the screen and moved slightly to simulate that it was actually on the helmet people would accept it better.

#49 Xionos

Xionos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 09:32 AM

Of course they can make improvements to the old HUD. I just wish they would keep it with the style of Hakwen. Hawken is supposed to be a dirty Future type setting, not everything is pretty, and our Mechs are held together by Grit, Ducktape, and Dreams.

The new interface seems too clean and digital, looking almost like High-Sci-Fi. I'm not saying we can't have things like the healthbar; but we need to keep the Aesthetic feel that fits in with Hawken. This isn't just another FPS shooter OR another Mech game.

The new cockpit also lacks several of the old readouts that our old cockpit had, no Altimeter, Accelerometer, or Compass. All that stuff wasn't just screen clutter, it was part of the charm of Hawken.

#50 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted August 31 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostXBS_damage, on August 31 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

nice profile picture <_<

thanks! a lot of people seem to like it B)
Posted Image

#51 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted August 31 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostSilverfire, on August 30 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

View PostHugeGuts, on August 30 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

View Posth0B0, on August 30 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Oh, it took me a while but i understand it now.

Hawken ascension.

Because vertical progression.

I do not see where players are getting vertical progression. It's true you gain access to more powerful items, internals, and stats as you rank up. However, remember they cost more slots to equip. New pilots have initial access to carry multiple weak items and unlock powerful high cost items as they rank up. New mechs have initial access to balanced stat builds and unlock specialized builds as they rank up. It's a choice between flexibility or specialization. On paper, this is horizontal progression. We'll just have to wait and see if the details support what's on paper.

If the tuning system is as helpful and useful and effective as it is advertised, then higher leveled pilots (using pilot progression system) will have more tuning points, therefore a greater advantage over newer players.

Pilot level is taken into account for match making, so a high level pilot will never be matched up against new players or players of lower levels.

Posted Image

#52 Toppien

Toppien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 11:46 AM

great update but, i don't like floating bars, the physical ones are better

#53 HKN_player

HKN_player

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostXionos, on August 31 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Of course they can make improvements to the old HUD. I just wish they would keep it with the style of Hakwen. Hawken is supposed to be a dirty Future type setting, not everything is pretty, and our Mechs are held together by Grit, Ducktape, and Dreams.

The new interface seems too clean and digital, looking almost like High-Sci-Fi. I'm not saying we can't have things like the healthbar; but we need to keep the Aesthetic feel that fits in with Hawken. This isn't just another FPS shooter OR another Mech game.

The new cockpit also lacks several of the old readouts that our old cockpit had, no Altimeter, Accelerometer, or Compass. All that stuff wasn't just screen clutter, it was part of the charm of Hawken.

that's 100% true, wall-e approve on that :
Posted Image

we want wall-e style . not eve

Posted Image

Edited by HKN_player, August 31 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#54 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted August 31 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostHKN_player, on August 31 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

View PostXionos, on August 31 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

that's 100% true, wall-e approve on that :
we want wall-e style . not eve

That's not proof, it's supposition. There's no proof that these mechs should be required to be gritty in every aspect. What's on the outside doesn't require the inside to match and people keep forgetting that the pilots are wearing helmets. Helmets can have HUDs more advanced looking than what's on the outside and until people actually play in their own mechs and see that there are still things in the HUD that look like the original (which are in the preview videos), they should hold their opinions about how "high end sci-fi" the HUD really is.

Edited by nokari, August 31 2013 - 12:57 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Xionos

Xionos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 01:15 PM

nokari, on August 31 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

That's not proof, it's supposition. There's no proof that these mechs should be required to be gritty in every aspect. What's on the outside doesn't require the inside to match and people keep forgetting that the pilots are wearing helmets. Helmets can have HUDs more advanced looking than what's on the outside and until people actually play in their own mechs and see that there are still things in the HUD that look like the original (which are in the preview videos), they should hold their opinions about how "high end sci-fi" the HUD really is.

Except the all the previous variations of Hawken's HUD have held the same style. This new HUD is a clear step away from that Aesthetic. Not only does this new HUD step away from the previous Incarnations themes, it also lacks many of the components that made it feel like a mech cockpit.

The point I make is that you could not have thrown the old crosshair and HUD onto any other FPS. This new crosshair is much more generic and doesn't even have as much functionality as the old crosshair. Some people actually used the Accelerometer, Altimeter and Compass. The new crosshair is not one you'd use piloting any kind of vehicle.

Aesthetics are all about feel, and I can take one look at that new crosshair and guarantee you it doesn't feel as "I'm a Mech Pilot" as the old one.

#56 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted August 31 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostXionos, on August 31 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

nokari, on August 31 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

Except the all the previous variations of Hawken's HUD have held the same style. This new HUD is a clear step away from that Aesthetic. Not only does this new HUD step away from the previous Incarnations themes, it also lacks many of the components that made it feel like a mech cockpit.

The point I make is that you could not have thrown the old crosshair and HUD onto any other FPS. This new crosshair is much more generic and doesn't even have as much functionality as the old crosshair. Some people actually used the Accelerometer, Altimeter and Compass. The new crosshair is not one you'd use piloting any kind of vehicle.

Aesthetics are all about feel, and I can take one look at that new crosshair and gaurentee you it doesn't feel as "Mech piloty" as the old one.

I think this line of thinking is real BS, because it's simply change and like with all new things, it takes getting used to. You were not familiar with the Alpha HUD (if you started with that). You were not familiar with the Beta HUD and its different incarnations either. To say that because it's different than what you're used to makes it a bad change I think is being disingenuous and rather reactionary.

Feel is subjective. Maybe instead consider this an upgrade, rather than a replacement. Spend some actual time in the cockpit before judging it as "not Hawken".

Edited by nokari, August 31 2013 - 01:44 PM.

Posted Image

#57 Xionos

Xionos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 02:00 PM

nokari, on August 31 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Feel is subjective. Maybe instead consider this an upgrade, rather than a replacement. Spend some actual time in the cockpit before judging it as "not Hawken".

It isn't just change if it ruins the Aesthetic. Like I said, the old cockpit huds all were of the same Aethetic. The looked like something you would see in a vehicle in the Hakwen universe. This new one does not.

You can argue that what the Devs put in the game is the Aesthetic for the hawken universe. But by that same degree, if they added magic would it "feel" the same_ You can feel like something belongs or doesn't belong, it's an opinion. The notion here is just where someone reaches their threshold.

I don't like the "feel" of the new cockpits generic crosshair. I'm sure people agree with me. You just happen to "feel" the other way about it, it just isn't at a point where it ruins immersion for you. This new crosshair does ruin immersion for me and some people might feel the same way.

#58 Komodo_Saurian

Komodo_Saurian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 02:38 PM

View Postnokari, on August 31 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

Pilot level is taken into account for match making, so a high level pilot will never be matched up against new players or players of lower levels.
What about smurfs_

Someone important said:

Ego stroking quote.
- Distracting banner.
- Obligatory PC spec boasting, 'cause I'm rich.
- Shameless self-promotion links.
- Sneak a peak into every second stream voiceover ever.

#59 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted August 31 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostKomodo_Saurian, on August 31 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

View Postnokari, on August 31 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

What about smurfs_

I don't get that reference, but I'll take a stab at it:

The way it will work is that a player's level is account bound, so regardless of whatever mechs you have at whatever levels, you'll always be fighting within the same bracket of similar pilot level players. That we know for certain.
From the get-go, some people may be more skilled and start at a lower level where they end up squashing newbies and whatnot. But the system doesn't allow that to last long, because that person's pilot level will quickly start to reflect their skill level and they will be put in a higher bracket. Once it's in that range I assume comes the question of whether or not people can "dumb down" and lose a bunch of matches in order to lower their pilot level and stomp some lower rank players again. I don't know if that's possible or if once you reach a pilot rank, you're stuck at that rank, but if not then I don't know how they'll counteract it.

Edited by nokari, August 31 2013 - 03:18 PM.

Posted Image

#60 CaptainCosmo

CaptainCosmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIn the virtual martix

Posted August 31 2013 - 03:37 PM

Sweet, cannot wait for the update! I love the new leveling up system.
Oh noes! Ugly bad guys, don't worry Captain Cosmo to the rescue!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, News

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users