HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Development Update: 2/2/2014

News Update

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Sam123456

Sam123456

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostSUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!, on February 03 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostSam123456, on February 03 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

Chuck, the majority of players agree that they don't want large ttk reductions (https://community.pl...e-to-kill-poll/). But I'm still willing to accept changes, and pretty jazzed to see what's coming down the pipeline.

Majority of the players that responded to the poll.  Make sure when you talk about forum polls you take into account how many people are responding.  in this case, less than 100 votes.  I sincerely hope that isn't statistically relevant to our player base.

True, of course. Only a minority of players likely view the forum, and only a fraction of those are over there voting. But that doesn't necessarily mean that that is not statistically relevant. It casts doubt on the weight of the result (with 70 not wanting drastic changes to 19 in favor of such changes atm).

There's also the matter of what sorts of players come to the forums. The forums probably over-represent long-time players. I'm not really sure how that effects the results of that poll. Some long term players seem to want reduced ttk while others seem opposed.

I'm psyched either way - I've got a good feeling about this patch.

#22 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted February 03 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostSUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS!, on February 03 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostSam123456, on February 03 2014 - 12:43 AM, said:

Chuck, the majority of players agree that they don't want large ttk reductions (https://community.pl...e-to-kill-poll/). But I'm still willing to accept changes, and pretty jazzed to see what's coming down the pipeline.

Majority of the players that responded to the poll.  Make sure when you talk about forum polls you take into account how many people are responding.  in this case, less than 100 votes.  I sincerely hope that isn't statistically relevant to our player base.

Central Limit Theorem.  Even if our population is skewed, it'll tend to the true mean with enough samples.  100 is somewhat in the ballpark...

Edited by Call_Me_Ishmael, February 03 2014 - 04:35 PM.

Posted Image

#23 spo0n

spo0n

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 04:44 PM

Unless the players are systematically responding or not responding to the poll.  Like, only players who are against the changes bother to read the thread or vote.

Also, there is no option for I don't care.

#24 Nuator

Nuator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 04:55 PM

Steam!

#25 Morticius

Morticius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted February 03 2014 - 05:54 PM

Get 'er dunn, please.  :)
What poll_ I missed it, i guess...
Statistically usable polling techniques use >1% of the impacted base for viable (believable_) results. If the bragging rights of 3500 active users is believable (viable_) here, then a minimum usable poll return of 351 respondents must be obtained. Anything less is just as usable as the counter.li and linux.org votes. It makes for interesting reading, but not worth much more.
Clan support (not related to athletic supporter--google: "Super Bowl XLVIII"--but nearly as laughable in this context) Coming Soon!
Am I making sense yet_
Rock On, Devs!

Posted Image

#26 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostMorticius, on February 03 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

Get 'er dunn, please.  :)
What poll_ I missed it, i guess...
Statistically usable polling techniques use >1% of the impacted base for viable (believable_) results. If the bragging rights of 3500 active users is believable (viable_) here, then a minimum usable poll return of 351 respondents must be obtained. Anything less is just as usable as the counter.li and linux.org votes. It makes for interesting reading, but not worth much more.
Clan support (not related to athletic supporter--google: "Super Bowl XLVIII"--but nearly as laughable in this context) Coming Soon!
Am I making sense yet_
Rock On, Devs!

Actually, it depends on the number of degrees of freedom and the precision of the significance desired.
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Sample_size
Posted Image

#27 chuckdm

chuckdm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationThe Loveliest Village on the Plains

Posted February 05 2014 - 02:54 PM

View Postdraco7891, on February 02 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

What if I told you that even though TTK might have gone down very slightly in a few cases, the strategy and tactics required had increased exponentially_

Then I'd say you're lying, because I've spent enough time into other games that lowered TTK to know it's BS.

In any case, I am going to try it anyway.  After what I've spent - both time and money - I'm not going to give up without giving it a shot anyway.  I am, however, gonna wait until the "stability issues" get fixed, then I'll begin my download.  No sense kicking the servers before they're all stable again, eh_

But no, lowered TTK is always bad, never good.  There are no exceptions, no exemptions, period.  The question is, is it bad enough to make Hawken worse than alternatives.  And there are so few alternatives (MWO and MWO basically, since I don't own a Playstation for Armored Core) that it probably doesn't.  But it's a bad change regardless.  It always is.  ALWAYS.

That said, having taken a look at the new weapon data, I do like the change to sustained DPS.  In large part my gripe against lowered TTK is rooted in the fact that in Hawken, burst has always been king.  I haven't had much of a problem with that since the higher TTK meant that you could always retreat from burst.  Retreat is a valid tactic, yanno.  In any case, it appears that a lot of the weapon stats have been changed so that burst is no longer king.  Prince, but not king, heh.  If so, lowered overall TTK won't be AS BAD as I thought.

Still bad.  But maybe reasonably bad.
I'm just a bill.  Yes I'm only a bill.  And I'm sitting here on capitol hill.  I'd be a law now but the Republicans keep refusing to let anyone vote on me.  So I'm covered in mold.  Because I'm just a bill...

#28 Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 01:13 AM

View Postchuckdm, on February 05 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Postdraco7891, on February 02 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

What if I told you that even though TTK might have gone down very slightly in a few cases, the strategy and tactics required had increased exponentially_

Then I'd say you're lying, because I've spent enough time into other games that lowered TTK to know it's BS.
. . .

But no, lowered TTK is always bad, never good.  There are no exceptions, no exemptions, period.
Speaking in absolutes: Always stupid.  No exceptions.

(see what I did there_)

https://robertsspace...orgs/OMNISCIENT

Complaining about Hawken's population_  Read this: https://community.pl...en/#entry524454

Posted Image   

#29 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted February 07 2014 - 01:30 AM

когда выйдет обновление___
Уважаемый agniy, обновление уже вышло, ключи для доступа в стим рассылают на почту всем по очереди, вплоть до 11 числа. если вы не получили ключ, обратитесь в тех-поддержку после 11 февраля.
обновление уже вышло.
Можете получить дополнительную информацию на русском форуме hawken.ru
или в разделе "News" на оффициальном сайте. т.е. на этом.

Dear agniy, update already happened, keys to access in Steam send the mail to all queue up to 11 numbers. if you have not got a key, contact tech-support after February 11.
Can get more information on the Russian forum - hawken.ru
or "News" section on the official site. ie on this site.

#30 Gumby789

Gumby789

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted February 20 2014 - 09:08 AM

It's been a long while since we had a dev update. Can we get a lil something update on stuff_

Posted Image

|| LTC Gumby | Sentinel | Academy Staff ||

#31 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted February 20 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostGumby789, on February 20 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

It's been a long while since we had a dev update. Can we get a lil something update on stuff_

They did just release the massive steam update, I imagine there will be another dev update come march.
Posted Image

#32 [HWK]HUGHES

[HWK]HUGHES

the Drinker of Coffee

• Adhesive Games
  • 804 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 08 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hello Everyone

A lot has been happening in the world of HAWKEN over the last few weeks and it's time for another development update. I was intending to have something posted at the end of this past work week but unfortunately some things needed my attention before I could have something written up for everyone. I'll be working on an update with the goal of posting it sometime before the end of the weekend. I'll miss my original goal by a day but wanted to at least let everyone know that nobody here has forgotten.

You've been very patient, enthusiastic and supportive! We'll chat again tomorrow. Thanks!

Jason Hughes
Producer || Adhesive Games || twitter: @digitalHUGHES

#33 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted March 08 2014 - 07:05 PM

Aaargh! HUGHES! I was so excited I almost read all of this thread's first post before I realized it was an old one. I was wondering why your dates were wrong too :'(.
Posted Image

#34 zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 07:13 AM

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 08 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Hello Everyone

A lot has been happening in the world of HAWKEN over the last few weeks and it's time for another development update. I was intending to have something posted at the end of this past work week but unfortunately some things needed my attention before I could have something written up for everyone. I'll be working on an update with the goal of posting it sometime before the end of the weekend. I'll miss my original goal by a day but wanted to at least let everyone know that nobody here has forgotten.

You've been very patient, enthusiastic and supportive! We'll chat again tomorrow. Thanks!

Did anyone see the post_  I can't find it.  I have a feeling that we are getting another big update soon so I am excited to see what Mr. Hughes has to say.

Zorin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users