HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HAWKEN on Steam: A New Battlefield Awaits!

News Update

• Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#81 IridiumAlly

IridiumAlly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:52 PM

Soooo, will this move to Steam also mean a move to Linux so Hawken is playable on the Steam Boxes_  

*fingers crossed*

#82 SevenDog

SevenDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:53 PM

I'm glad the game is getting more exposure, but I'm sad about it being Steam-reliant. I'm on the anti-Steam side of the fence.

One of the things I like about Hawken is how the option to spend real money isn't thrown in your face obnoxiously all the time. Just the buttons on items and mechs telling you you can unlock them with credits of the various types, I find that very unobtrusive. Now whenever I want to play Hawken I'm going to be bombarded by Steam ads. Ads that aren't even Hawken-relevant. Fun times.

Hopefully the codes for people like me that came late to the game won't take until Feb 11th to get out, because I'm not looking forward to being Hawken-less for days on end.

#83 DennisKnightPC

DennisKnightPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostDeadwyng, on February 04 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Attachment Untitled-1.png
can i ask what font this is_  WhatTheFont doesnt have a good match, and a quick look-thru the css turns up 'Monda' and 'Play', neither of which seem to match either

try "Kremlin"

Edit: Actually it's not, my bad

Edited by DennisKnightPC, February 04 2014 - 06:59 PM.

Posted Image

i7-3770K//32GB RAM//SSD//R9 270X Vapour

#84 X_Mangoose_X

X_Mangoose_X

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMirando desde la ventana detras tuyo

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostKejiGoto, on February 04 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

View PostX_Mangoose_X, on February 04 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Steam is an invasive program in the operating system causing a noticeable performance impact to increase security, and in some cases cause severe problems, I guess it's a desperate sacrifice to get players hawken has not fared well lately .. ....

I've been using Steam for over 9 years now and I haven't seen it have an impact on a game yet. Sure when it released back in 2004 it was incredibly rough but it was been refined quite a bit since then. Not once have I had Steam impact my gaming. Heck I even deployed with my gaming laptop for eight months and had a fuzzy bunny connection at best, still no issues.

In fact if my PC or laptop is on then I'm logged into Steam. No issues. Whether I'm playing games through Steam or not I don't see it impact performance. I've even got several games on Steam and the disc version, both run exactly the same on my system.

I find it crazy how I can spend months on end deployed to the Middle East and not once have Steam hinder my gaming. The worst I dealt with was Valve suspended my ability to purchase when I first got over there because my access IP to my account suddenly went from being in the US to the Middle East. They suspended the ability, contacted me, and once I verified that I was indeed Keji Goto there were no further issues.

There always seems to be a very small number of people who make these claims and I've never been able to find a way to back this up. It's nuts how games like GTA IV and the expansions, Burnout Paradise, Unreal Tournament 2004, Crysis 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and more run the same when I'm running them off the disc or running them off Steam.

it is your personal experience and not widespread, not everyone has good experiences with steam, not all of us have the same conditions, resources pc, internet connection.
apart a few months ago Steam damage my OS losing lots of personal information, much unrecoverable, something that obviously no one will take responsibility.
I hope this change worthwhile, because they can not reject that some users are not happy with this change.
I'll keep playing with much suspicion.

"No confundas mi Personalidad con Mi actitud, mi Personalidad es Quien Yo Soy y mi Actitud Depende de Quien Seas Tú."

#85 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostX_Mangoose_X, on February 04 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostKejiGoto, on February 04 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

View PostX_Mangoose_X, on February 04 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Steam is an invasive program in the operating system causing a noticeable performance impact to increase security, and in some cases cause severe problems, I guess it's a desperate sacrifice to get players hawken has not fared well lately .. ....

I've been using Steam for over 9 years now and I haven't seen it have an impact on a game yet. Sure when it released back in 2004 it was incredibly rough but it was been refined quite a bit since then. Not once have I had Steam impact my gaming. Heck I even deployed with my gaming laptop for eight months and had a fuzzy bunny connection at best, still no issues.

In fact if my PC or laptop is on then I'm logged into Steam. No issues. Whether I'm playing games through Steam or not I don't see it impact performance. I've even got several games on Steam and the disc version, both run exactly the same on my system.

I find it crazy how I can spend months on end deployed to the Middle East and not once have Steam hinder my gaming. The worst I dealt with was Valve suspended my ability to purchase when I first got over there because my access IP to my account suddenly went from being in the US to the Middle East. They suspended the ability, contacted me, and once I verified that I was indeed Keji Goto there were no further issues.

There always seems to be a very small number of people who make these claims and I've never been able to find a way to back this up. It's nuts how games like GTA IV and the expansions, Burnout Paradise, Unreal Tournament 2004, Crysis 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and more run the same when I'm running them off the disc or running them off Steam.

it is your personal experience and not widespread, not everyone has good experiences with steam, not all of us have the same conditions, resources pc, internet connection.
apart a few months ago Steam damage my OS losing lots of personal information, much unrecoverable, something that obviously no one will take responsibility.
I hope this change worthwhile, because they can not reject that some users are not happy with this change.
I'll keep playing with much suspicion.

There is nothing that the developers could announce which would make everyone happy. They could say they are sending everyone $1,000 and someone out there would complain about what a terrible business model that is or something.

As for Steam I often wonder if it isn't another problem on your system that is the cause of this. Perhaps your hardware is dated and already pushing itself trying to run Hawken so adding anything else on is the straw that breaks the camel's back_ I just don't see how Steam could damage your OS like you described and it not be a widely reported issue, especially in today's age where these kinds of things make headlines.

I just don't think that Steam is this awful program some make it out to be and if it were I don't think Steam would be nearly as big as it is.

Posted Image

#86 DrunkenClam

DrunkenClam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:08 PM

Ahem... in case nobody read the transition guide: "... and a new mech is going to be released"!

#87 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:16 PM

No more paypal = no more money from me.  A shame for devs seeing as ive ponied up like 300$ on random skins and fuzzy bunny, which if I dont get to keep will mean I don't play this game ever again.
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

#88 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:22 PM

Why wouldn't you keep the stuff you've already bought_ You're keeping your account. You still log into the exact same account. You just launch the game through Steam - that's the only thing that changes.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#89 comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationI dunno!

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:25 PM

This is a great move and I am super satisfied with this.  Glad to hear it!

#90 [HWK]ZamboniChaos

[HWK]ZamboniChaos

Community Manager

• Meteor Entertainment
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCruise Ship, Stern

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:25 PM

View Postspace_, on February 04 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

No more paypal = no more money from me.  A shame for devs seeing as ive ponied up like 300$ on random skins and fuzzy bunny, which if I dont get to keep will mean I don't play this game ever again.

Your account will remain intact! Check out our Steam FAQ for more info.

Pour yourself a drink, I'll sing you a song.

@ZamboniChaos

#91 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:27 PM

I don't use steam.. at all.. so was just wondering.. it would be so annoying to have to go through the buy everything and rebuild the 30 or so kitted lvl 25's I have..

I have since read all the FAQs and such.. it should be good for the game.. influx of new players and everything.. glad we keep our same accounts.. just will have to reset my steam which I havn't used in ages.. since the last time I had a game that required it.

It should be good for new players.. sad to see paypal go.. being in canada steam cards arn't just floating around everywhere and the likelyhood of me getting them is real small.. I'll just have to by a bunch of MC now b4 they change it lol.

"THREE!"

#92 X_Mangoose_X

X_Mangoose_X

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMirando desde la ventana detras tuyo

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:28 PM

Steam is like a tumor, is rooted to the core of the operating system by placing top priority on safety, making changes beyond the administrative permissions, reminds me of the starforce protection system, which had the beautiful custom of burning the optical drives.
even so consume significant resources, hopefully with this next patch will improve game performance substantially that I'm going to need desperately as I am forced to endure this parasite eating up my pc.

Edited by X_Mangoose_X, February 04 2014 - 07:29 PM.

"No confundas mi Personalidad con Mi actitud, mi Personalidad es Quien Yo Soy y mi Actitud Depende de Quien Seas Tú."

#93 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:29 PM

View Postspace_, on February 04 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

I don't use steam.. at all.. so was just wondering.. it would be so annoying to have to go through the buy everything and rebuild the 30 or so kitted lvl 25's I have..

I have since read all the FAQs and such.. it should be good for the game.. influx of new players and everything.. glad we keep our same accounts.. just will have to reset my steam which I havn't used in ages.. since the last time I had a game that required it.

It should be good for new players.. sad to see paypal go.. being in canada steam cards arn't just floating around everywhere and the likelyhood of me getting them is real small.. I'll just have to by a bunch of MC now b4 they change it lol.

You don't HAVE to buy a steam card to put money on your account. You can add funds to your Steam Wallet directly through Steam, just like Paypal.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#94 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostSevenDog, on February 04 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Now whenever I want to play Hawken I'm going to be bombarded by Steam ads. Ads that aren't even Hawken-relevant. Fun times.

That's a pretty big conclusion to jump to when A, steam ads don't bombard you by any means and B, the game isn't even available on steam yet.
Posted Image

#95 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:36 PM

DerMax, on February 04 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

This might be a silly question, but does this mean we're moving from AWS to Steam servers_

This. I'd very much like to hear an answer as well. I try to stay away from Steam as much as possible, but if it means better servers I won't mind the transition so much.

#96 Kmaleon73

Kmaleon73

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationVenezuela-Maracaibo-Edo Zulia

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:37 PM

Osea from tomorrow we can not enter from the launcher, enter through Steam, but a question that worries me enormously to happen with our own, and all of our record achivment and nick in the original version, I mean I'll have to start all again in that regard losing my library I hido arming for over 3 years_

#97 IridiumAlly

IridiumAlly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:38 PM

You don't HAVE to buy a steam card to put money on your account. You can add funds to your Steam Wallet directly through Steam, just like Paypal.

You can still use PayPal with Steam:  https://support.stea...ejc-2625#PayPal

#98 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:39 PM

Can u not ban the ip steam adds come through and not effect steam to just get rid of them anyways_

EDIT: Also YAY on being able to use paypal with steam!

Edited by space_, February 04 2014 - 07:39 PM.

"THREE!"

#99 RED_FIVE

RED_FIVE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationHangar Bay

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:41 PM

The abandonment of vertical progression and now a Steam release_
Holy Hell.

Posted Image

#100 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted February 04 2014 - 07:54 PM

i would have liked for there to be a single player first, at least 4-5 missions before hawken hit steam or at the same time.

:(

im still concerned about the fall off, of new mech players losing 4-5 games in a row, and suddenly quitting.

Edited by angryhampster, February 04 2014 - 07:58 PM.

--[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users