HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator in Steam patch of Hawken

Community Beta Forum

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 21 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostGunmoku, on February 20 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on February 20 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

I see what you mean friend, however... Didn't you say there was two Predators_  This doesn't mean that one single Predator can do exactly that.

Each time I got one-shot, there was no assist in the kill message, just the one Predator.  I wish I took a few screenshots.

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on February 20 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Also, the Predator has one of the most steep learning curves since it's ability is fragile, and that it's default primary and secondary are bizarre compared to the more straightforward weapons on other mechs.  Many high ranking players on the forums consider Predator to be one of the most balanced classes in-game.

That still does not forgive the fact this is the only mech in the game right now capable of one-shotting a B-class and nearly cutting a C-class down to 25% health with one well-placed attack.

Any chance you can explain how you DIDN'T see 9 big glowing dots on something to the point where it killed you multiple times_

Sounds like you have an issue with your map awareness and less so the pred.

If of course you were CHASING a pred...then you were outplayed. He pulled you deliberately into that stack and you took the bait.

Edited by LordTemujin, February 21 2014 - 07:28 AM.

Posted Image

#42 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted February 21 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on February 20 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostGunmoku, on February 20 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Each time I got one-shot, there was no assist in the kill message, just the one Predator.  I wish I took a few screenshots.

Ah okay, you could have been a little more clearer though on your last post... <__< For this to be true, there needs to be testing!  I do wish you could have put up some screenshots, I for one, haven't seen a single Predator being able to do that.  Especially since I play Predator, I would have noticed this right away.

It is more than possible, it just requires careful planning and baiting

55*9(max number of mines)= 495 which means you can one shot most A's and at least the raider/another pred. Combine this with a breacher/eoc shot one more puck and a det and you can one off C's..all requires planning.

However...I think I have only ever managed to 100 to zero maybe 5 people_  Very few players are going to just herp derp into 9 tightly packed mines thinking this is a good idea.
Posted Image

#43 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 07:55 PM

No one should be angry about the breacher. It sucks when you are hit by it. But honestly if something does too much damage it's the reaper. One shot can take more than half off a scout. It sucks. That thing is OP. Even has more health than most A-classes even though its never in battle.

#44 86

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 08:27 AM

Sucks even more when you think you are safe...and you decide to lay down ur guard to heal...BAM WTFOMG FUZZY BUNNY

I think i just did it 30 times this week playing the pred...sorry to whoever died in this manner. :(

Edited by 86, February 22 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#45 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted February 23 2014 - 02:48 PM

View Post86, on February 22 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Sucks even more when you think you are safe...and you decide to lay down ur guard to heal...BAM WTFOMG FUZZY BUNNY

I think i just did it 30 times this week playing the pred...sorry to whoever died in this manner. :(

That's one good way of playing the Pred!  I love the mech becuase it's so versatile in what it can be used for.  :D

#46 BreakfastShark

BreakfastShark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 10:26 PM

I think the Predator is actually in a worse spot than before, mainly because of how flying has been changed in the steam patch.

pred has always had difficulties against flyers because the a flying opponent gets to dictate the engagement range.  Mid-range air is pretty awkward for the predator because all the primary weapons lose a good chunk of damage, and EOC-P is awful for leading targets.

Before the patch though, pred can usually tank a flyer while laying mines, and wait for them to land on the mines.  The new TTK and fueless dash pretty much nullified that tactic because you're usually dead before your opponent runs out of fuel.  It doesn't help that pretty much all A and B mechs now has a flying speed close to predator's boost speed, if not faster.  Flying backwards while spamming A and D brings the pred down almost to about half damage.  Maybe there are awesome players out there can lead really well with the EOC-P, but I've yet to encounter one or seen videos of it since the mech was introduced.

Another issue is how the new TTK makes combat hotspots more mobile, people die faster so a team push tends to be over faster.  I noticed this is problematic for the "stalker" pred that relied on walking to move into position for flanking.  Often times I find that by the time I get to enemy's flank, the fight's already over.  This means the time I put into setting up is going to waste, all the while my team had to fight an engagement with one man missing.

#47 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 05:40 AM

Why not Heat Cannon instead EOC-Repeater_
The mech is not themed as a movie predator_ Makes much more sense...

#48 Farlanghn

Farlanghn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostTelamoont, on February 24 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

Take the bolt if anything. I love the repeater and if used in the right hands it works so well. Mines, mines and more mines!!! Fully charged six mines hurt! Which is what the Pred needs. If you do happen to miss then it sets mines to hurt your opponent.

#49 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted February 24 2014 - 12:56 PM

View Post86, on February 22 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

thats the whole idea behind predator.took me some matches to learn him(the first time it was introduced),but when i did,i just loved this mech,his stealth ability needs planning when played,and when played right it is an awesome feeling killing an enemy and disappear in shadows :ph34r:  
also someone was qqing about one shot kills_mines...its not the mech that is OP(it is not),you need eyes to check for mines left behind.i just love luring a classes on MA into pack of mines :D

#50 Onyxmizer

Onyxmizer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 12:09 PM

Heat cannon would be the awesome, but it would cause pucks on the field to pop due to splash. I'd still take it over the EOC repreater.

Edited by Onyxmizer, February 25 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#51 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostGunmoku, on February 20 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

snip snip

Heat Cannon on predator would be awesome, however even charged would do less dmg than it's current charged breacher shot... something to think about. Not to mention you can remote detonate your mines anyway.

Hey Gunmoku, your name seems familiar to me, and I'm assuming that it was me and some other guy you bumped into, cause of what you described sounds like my play style hehe.

I can tell you this much though, the side dash on pred is awesome and should not be taken back. It gets me out of situations while in stealth quite easily, I love it. I can also say that the dev's did something to the pucks now, cause it seems to me that I can make my traps much tighter now than ever before. Won't say much more on this.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#52 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostOnyxmizer, on February 25 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Heat cannon would be the awesome, but it would cause pucks on the field to pop due to splash. I'd still take it over the EOC repreater.

I dunno man, EOC Rep is great for Predator.  I love making an instant death mine field before the enemy can get to me. :D

View PostLightangel112, on February 25 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostGunmoku, on February 20 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

snip snip

Heat Cannon on predator would be awesome, however even charged would do less dmg than it's current charged breacher shot... something to think about. Not to mention you can remote detonate your mines anyway.

Hey Gunmoku, your name seems familiar to me, and I'm assuming that it was me and some other guy you bumped into, cause of what you described sounds like my play style hehe.

I can tell you this much though, the side dash on pred is awesome and should not be taken back. It gets me out of situations while in stealth quite easily, I love it. I can also say that the dev's did something to the pucks now, cause it seems to me that I can make my traps much tighter now than ever before. Won't say much more on this.

Heat Cannon is glorious!  I'd be pretty happy if we have it, but since it can explode mines with it's own projectile AND cause an AoE of it's own, it can make lots of damage to mechs in junction to the mines!

#53 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 07:33 AM

Heat Cannon makes more sense in terms of "themed" arsenal for a predator mech than MORE mines. Predator with both mine launchers looks like a smaller granadier to me.

#54 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 01:58 PM

If they are going to expand on the G2 series, I hope they make a Predator with a Heat Cannon/Breacher hybrid, but one can only dream.

#55 Onyxmizer

Onyxmizer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 08:32 AM

I guess I need to give eoc a shot. I have a hard time as it is laying traps instead of being mobil defence or sneak.

#56 Telamoont

Telamoont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on February 26 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

If they are going to expand on the G2 series, I hope they make a Predator with a Heat Cannon/Breacher hybrid, but one can only dream.

THIS!

#57 LazerusKI

LazerusKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 06:42 PM

the Predator was my second mech.
It was very hard to learn his playstile.
Unlocked the T32 because i thought its a strong weapon...but it felt so bad...but it helped me a lot with the breacher-handling.

After i learned that Medium-Mechs are a no-go for the predator, i focused on lights, weakened targets or tanked-heavies.

need a few more exp to unlock his other EOC, maybe its good. His secondary is mostly unused by me, only for defending spots where i camp...but not in TDM.

The idea of a HEAT sounds interesting, currently he feels very very week in direct 1v1 combat, RoF is too slow with no area effect, mines dont work so good because of all these flying mechs...so 1v1 is very very hard to dominate currently (or maybe just for me...)

Edited by LazerusKI, February 28 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#58 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostLazerusKI, on February 28 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Unlocked the T32 because i thought its a strong weapon...but it felt so bad...but it helped me a lot with the breacher-handling.

After i learned that Medium-Mechs are a no-go for the predator, i focused on lights, weakened targets or tanked-heavies.

need a few more exp to unlock his other EOC, maybe its good. His secondary is mostly unused by me, only for defending spots where i camp...but not in TDM.

The idea of a HEAT sounds interesting, currently he feels very very week in direct 1v1 combat, RoF is too slow with no area effect, mines dont work so good because of all these flying mechs...so 1v1 is very very hard to dominate currently (or maybe just for me...)

Yeah, CQC isn't Pred's strength, in fact.. I think it's his weakness due to Breacher not being a very good choice.  Heck, since T32 isn't very good anymore, it's worse.  I find that the mech has gotten stronger overall, but due to the lower TTK and the increased dodge rate, the Breacher isn't good enough to hold off enemies.  Especially very bursty and/or fast A and B classes.  You aren't the only one friend, I used to be able to pull off some awesome CQC combat with Breacher, not anymore.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, February 28 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#59 Hellrazer_001

Hellrazer_001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 12:00 AM

I am starting to find after the last boost patch for the Assault G2, that there is a huge increase in people using both Assault Mechs, and I just cant seem to damage them, I have gone from mid scores most of the time to low scores and am getting killed every single time in seconds by there Vulcans, they just run straight through 10 mines and kill you in seconds before you can finish them off.

#60 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 03:16 AM

View PostHellrazer_001, on March 01 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

I am starting to find after the last boost patch for the Assault G2, that there is a huge increase in people using both Assault Mechs, and I just cant seem to damage them, I have gone from mid scores most of the time to low scores and am getting killed every single time in seconds by there Vulcans, they just run straight through 10 mines and kill you in seconds before you can finish them off.
G2 is fearsome to some mechs who can't keep up with that kind of dps, especially in the open this mech is deadly, I have started to notice more G2 mechs in my games. And I don't think I have taken one out successfully without some careful planning.

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on February 28 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Yeah, CQC isn't Pred's strength, in fact.. I think it's his weakness due to Breacher not being a very good choice.  Heck, since T32 isn't very good anymore, it's worse.  I find that the mech has gotten stronger overall, but due to the lower TTK and the increased dodge rate, the Breacher isn't good enough to hold off enemies.  Especially very bursty and/or fast A and B classes.  You aren't the only one friend, I used to be able to pull off some awesome CQC combat with Breacher, not anymore.
I can say that I haven't been doing alpha suicide strikes on people of late. It has become harder, it's best when they don't have much room to move about like fly or dodge, like in a tunnel but best is health. Most decent players who are a rocketeer know how to avoid being killed by me, which I hate of course. I sometimes still use this tactic but it's not used as much as I used too beforehand. On the case of CQC, you need to realise that the pred actually excells at close range due to the breacher doing 144 damage+55 puck but because it takes 2 seconds to do 2 pucks it's actually 199+55 damage in 2 seconds, the only thing that beats it in cqc is a well placed flak cannon hit and a mech with an automatic weapon + tow combo as well as a flying berserker or one that is quite agile. As missed shots are a disadvantage in any situation.

View PostLazerusKI, on February 28 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Predator can take on most B classes unless its the CRT/ Assault or G2 mechs, cause if your not always moving your a sitting duck to their sustain damage and tow. You can cause these mechs some damage but you most likely will have to retreat and let your team mates finish them off. But if you lay traps down, you can pretty much 2 HIT a mech to dust.

I always use the secondary weapon in fights, if you don't you are at a serious disadvantage. Learn to use cover to your advantage and dodge as much as possible to avoid damage (must use deflectors here), as you track your target charge your breacher shot, even if its just a "little" or a "full charge". When your about to fire, "click the secondary first" followed by the "breacher" most times both will hit the target "though depending on range" but if it is CQC they should hit pretty close together and after you have released your shots you dodge again to avoid damage. You can even adopt a play style where you aim your secondary on the floor/ walls and just dodge and you can always press the detonate button to do sparse damage to your opponent. You can even bait them as you retreat behind corners and they follow you like a silly pinyata. I've been near death many a times and the enemy thinks they can finish me off. What they don't realise is I have stealth and when they are boosting I know where they are but also they can't fire back when they're boosting. I do my little 1-2 combo + a detonator and they're dead before they can fight back. To counter this, you can do a side dash or a jump to re-engage your weapons that bit quicker but by then it's usually too late.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 01 2014 - 03:24 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Beta, Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users