HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Predator in Steam patch of Hawken

Community Beta Forum

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 Hellrazer_001

Hellrazer_001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 03:47 AM

I was just in a match and a Tank in turret mode " not sure which Mech " on my side was firing at an Assault I was to his side hidden behind a big rock I layed 10 mines in front of the tank because I was pretty sure he would retreat, and the Enemy Assault ran straight through my mines, killed the Tank, while I emptied 2 to 3 Breach into him and he was on 1 health bar, and turned around and within 5 seconds I was dead, the Predator is now extremely inefective, except in the odd game when things magicaly go your way, if you get in a fight 95% of the time you will not survive, and 10 mines will not take out even a full health Sharpshooter, this mech was effective to a point before, but it is now in need of some buffs, as people have become better and Most of the Mechs are too strong to damage, I know taking out the wounded is viable but even then it usualy gets you killed by his friends because you need to be sitting right behind them on the enemy side to kill them.

#62 LazerusKI

LazerusKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 04:52 AM

i have noticed the thing with the mines too.
seems like they wont deal damage when the enemy dodges through them...
had a scout who survived a full field of 10 mines with 90% HP - and they layed there in a hexagon pattern (3 4 3)

Sometimes i can blow up hovering mechs with the AoE of the Mines...sometimes they wont even hurt a mech who is standing near them...
something is weird...

The G2 Assault was not a big deal so far. Fought one yesterday and he lost nearly all battles in 1v1, dont know if he was just bad, or mid range is not his strength.

I take back everything i said about the G2...he is horrible OP

Edited by LazerusKI, March 01 2014 - 05:29 AM.

#63 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:27 AM

If they dodged near your mines, they might not blow up entirely now thanks to the deflector internal. 20% of damage reduced by dodging from a full stack of mines = 458 / 460 of damage dealt roughly. This is not enough damage to obviously blow up a B class, however I have had a CRT boost directly into my mines before and be left with like a few hit points so I'm not sure if boosting has the same effect as dodging not to mention dodging might get them away from the AOE blast radius quicker to reduce further damage done. It's something to think about in more detail and observation.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 01 2014 - 05:28 AM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#64 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted March 01 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostLightangel112, on March 01 2014 - 03:16 AM, said:

View PostHellrazer_001, on March 01 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:

I am starting to find after the last boost patch for the Assault G2, that there is a huge increase in people using both Assault Mechs, and I just cant seem to damage them, I have gone from mid scores most of the time to low scores and am getting killed every single time in seconds by there Vulcans, they just run straight through 10 mines and kill you in seconds before you can finish them off.
G2 is fearsome to some mechs who can't keep up with that kind of dps, especially in the open this mech is deadly, I have started to notice more G2 mechs in my games. And I don't think I have taken one out successfully without some careful planning.

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on February 28 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Yeah, CQC isn't Pred's strength, in fact.. I think it's his weakness due to Breacher not being a very good choice.  Heck, since T32 isn't very good anymore, it's worse.  I find that the mech has gotten stronger overall, but due to the lower TTK and the increased dodge rate, the Breacher isn't good enough to hold off enemies.  Especially very bursty and/or fast A and B classes.  You aren't the only one friend, I used to be able to pull off some awesome CQC combat with Breacher, not anymore.
I can say that I haven't been doing alpha suicide strikes on people of late. It has become harder, it's best when they don't have much room to move about like fly or dodge, like in a tunnel but best is health. Most decent players who are a rocketeer know how to avoid being killed by me, which I hate of course. I sometimes still use this tactic but it's not used as much as I used too beforehand. On the case of CQC, you need to realise that the pred actually excells at close range due to the breacher doing 144 damage+55 puck but because it takes 2 seconds to do 2 pucks it's actually 199+55 damage in 2 seconds, the only thing that beats it in cqc is a well placed flak cannon hit and a mech with an automatic weapon + tow combo as well as a flying berserker or one that is quite agile. As missed shots are a disadvantage in any situation.

The spread of Breacher's shotgun mode is narrow compared to Flak Cannon, so you have to be accurate with your shots, even in close range.  This is a disadvantage because most weapons that can be used up close is either sustained or has a wide enough spread to hit you, even if it's slightly inaccurate.  This is made worse by the dodge rates and the fact that you can take as much damage as before during the Ascension Patch.  Sure, Breacher has amazing damage and all, but it's refire rate also makes it bad.

#65 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 01 2014 - 01:33 PM

You got to fire the EOC P to compensate for the breachers low rate of fire or use items which are just ineffective in line of sight.

Edited by Lightangel112, March 01 2014 - 01:33 PM.

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#66 StatikPulse

StatikPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 08:25 PM

This is frustrating because the Predator is my favourite mech to play. I love the novel approach of using strategy and sneakiness to change up the gameplay. As it stands, it takes forever to set up traps, you reveal your position, blatantly obvious mines, breacher got nerfed and is loud, low ttk, slow movement, this list goes on. I mean, all the CRTs, Assaults and Assault G2s in the game are a telling sign that Hawken has become a full frontal slugfest, making stealth ability in mechs like the Predator and Inflitrator virtually useless.

Let's take a look at it's most interesting abilities. Stealth and setting up of traps. Stealth works great (except for Hellfire locks, but I can live with that)....but traps_ really_ one of the worst and slowest parts of using this mech (for reasons stated above). Even if you set a trap up, sometimes the only way to try and get someone to fall for it is to reveal your position. Half the time you just end up getting shot up trying to run towards it.

It's not really a problem solved by buffing the mine damage. And with every mech generally just taking to the skies everytime they fight, there's no point in aiming mines at their feet. An unexploded super mine has the same damage as an unexploded puny mine. Having no light on the mine might be a bit better. If I was a mine manufacturer, the last thing I'd put on a mine is a bright light alerting everybody to it's location. Not that it really does too much but why not kill the light and make the deployment time faster_

Also, I don't quite get why they don't just make the breacher super deadly at point blank with a massive drop off in effectiveness as the distance increases so at least we could rack up a few kills, like every other mech in the game. It would discourage sniping. Also, what's the point of being able to shoot through a shield if you do virtually no damage_

I remember when it used to be fun taking out repairing mechs, but you don't even have enough time to get into position now with the fast repair rates.

Basically, the Predator is just a weak scavenger, shuffling around the map in hopes of finding some limping mech with 5 points left on it. Why not amp up the abilities of the non standard mechs like this so it will encourage a little more lateral thinking and interesting gameplay_

#67 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 08:37 PM

You do know there is other weapons right_  Plus, the only thing that breacher had was a bug fix.  Also, where do you even put those traps_

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 05 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#68 StatikPulse

StatikPulse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 05 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

You do know there is other weapons right_  Plus, the only thing that breacher had was a bug fix.  Also, where do you even put those traps_

1. T-32 is weaker than the breacher. the Pred's weapons are so weak, it's like sneaking up behind someone to hit them with a napkin. EOC-repeater looks good on paper, like the EOC-predator but they're only good for laying explosive feces as you run for cover. and easily avoidable by anything that flies more than 2 meters. The concept is just off. Have you ever played the Spy in TF2_ Fast paced (on par with the pace of the other players) and deadly with a close up strike. Not saying it needs a speed boost, but make the Pred deadly against a B-class mech at point blank.

2. Pre bug fix_ Occasional Breacher instakills. Post bug fix_ Lame. Just use a Reaper.

3. Traps are supposed to be put at choke points and in tight corridors, so yeah you can imagine how useful the Predator is on Bunker, Last Eco and Bazaar. Anyway, you can see traps a mile away. One shot and they're instantly cleared. Why not just make the EOC dump a nice little circle of mines with one charged shot_ Or make the dispersal angle so wide that you can't use it as a shotgun, unless at point blank. Or have it just leave a trail of mines in a line behind you, so you can fuzzy bunny on the run.

Edited by StatikPulse, March 05 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#69 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostStatikPulse, on March 05 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on March 05 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

1. T-32 is weaker than the breacher. the Pred's weapons are so weak, it's like sneaking up behind someone to hit them with a napkin. EOC-repeater looks good on paper, like the EOC-predator but they're only good for laying explosive feces as you run for cover. and easily avoidable by anything that flies more than 2 meters. The concept is just off. Have you ever played the Spy in TF2_ Fast paced (on par with the pace of the other players) and deadly with a close up strike. Not saying it needs a speed boost, but make the Pred deadly against a B-class mech at point blank.
Everyone knows the T-32 sucks, it needs to be buffed for sure.  You're using the EOC Rep wrong if you think it sucks, it's a hard weapon, but it's a real killer. Look here: https://community.pl...predator-guide/
2. Pre bug fix_ Occasional Breacher instakills. Post bug fix_ Lame. Just use a Reaper.
Breacher was never meant to instakill a pilot with the slug round, it's pretty bad when it happens.  If it's not doing enough damage for you, the shotgun version does more.  Plus there is this combo: the Slug then Shotgun, it breaks the normal reload of the weapon and makes you have a nice 2 hit punch.
3. Traps are supposed to be put at choke points and in tight corridors, so yeah you can imagine how useful the Predator is on Bunker, Last Eco and Bazaar. Anyway, you can see traps a mile away. One shot and they're instantly cleared. Why not just make the EOC dump a nice little circle of mines with one charged shot_ Or make the dispersal angle so wide that you can't use it as a shotgun, unless at point blank. Or have it just leave a trail of mines in a line behind you, so you can fuzzy bunny on the run.
One again, are you putting them in obvious places_  Put the mines in places where people wouldn't look.  Also, Last Eco has lots of foliage to hide the mines in, Bazaar has neat small nooks and crannies that hide the mines, Bunker's snow makes the mines slightly hard to see, besides, most people's eyes are focused on the slopes for Rocketeers, and snipers than some mines.  As for leaving a trail of mines behind you, you can do that already.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, March 06 2014 - 01:25 PM.

#70 Richgar

Richgar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostLordTemujin, on February 21 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on February 20 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostGunmoku, on February 20 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

Each time I got one-shot, there was no assist in the kill message, just the one Predator.  I wish I took a few screenshots.

Ah okay, you could have been a little more clearer though on your last post... <__< For this to be true, there needs to be testing!  I do wish you could have put up some screenshots, I for one, haven't seen a single Predator being able to do that.  Especially since I play Predator, I would have noticed this right away.

It is more than possible, it just requires careful planning and baiting

55*9(max number of mines)= 495 which means you can one shot most A's and at least the raider/another pred. Combine this with a breacher/eoc shot one more puck and a det and you can one off C's..all requires planning.

However...I think I have only ever managed to 100 to zero maybe 5 people_  Very few players are going to just herp derp into 9 tightly packed mines thinking this is a good idea.

Just wanted to point out that each planted mine does 50 damage. A direct impact does 55 (5 extra physical damage). So all A classes and the raider and sharpshooter can be taken out. Takes 7 mines to take out tech, scout, infiltrator, and reaper, 8 mines for zerker, and all 10 mines for raider and sharpshooter.

Would be nice if the eoc-p had a secondary mode that fired silent mines faster with an arming time. The manual detonation isn't very useful, unless you mess up traps a lot, or miss your shots.

Edited by Richgar, March 06 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#71 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted March 07 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostHellrazer_001, on March 01 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

I was just in a match and a Tank in turret mode " not sure which Mech " on my side was firing at an Assault I was to his side hidden behind a big rock I layed 10 mines in front of the tank because I was pretty sure he would retreat, and the Enemy Assault ran straight through my mines, killed the Tank, while I emptied 2 to 3 Breach into him and he was on 1 health bar, and turned around and within 5 seconds I was dead, the Predator is now extremely inefective, except in the odd game when things magicaly go your way, if you get in a fight 95% of the time you will not survive, and 10 mines will not take out even a full health Sharpshooter, this mech was effective to a point before, but it is now in need of some buffs, as people have become better and Most of the Mechs are too strong to damage, I know taking out the wounded is viable but even then it usualy gets you killed by his friends because you need to be sitting right behind them on the enemy side to kill them.

>the Predator is now extremely inefective
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Sorry man, but I just had 6 hours in a row of me stomping almost EVERY match in my Predator.
I just can't take that seriously anymore.

>if you get in a fight 95% of the time dead
I was 1v1'ing the whole time, and the enemy died, not me.
You're doing something wrong buddy.

>this mech was effective to a point before, but it is now in need of some buffs
It doesn't need any buffs AT ALL.
You just need to learn how to play with it.
Seriously..

> I know taking out the wounded is viable but even then it usualy gets you killed by his friends
I don't do that a whole lot.
I just play my Pred like the Raider, and it makes me stomp about every match.

The Predator simply has a high skill ceiling.
Don't complain about it being UP if you just don't know how to play with it.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#72 Hastur609

Hastur609

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 04:39 PM

I feel at this rate since most people can't be arsed to read or find guides on here, why doesn't someone who's good at this mech take the time to make a comprehensive video that highlights some realistic gameplay with the Predator as well as commentary while the mech kicks ass or something_

I don't mean it like someone go join a random match and commentate on the class while dying because they're distracted by talking, or commentating over the match...

I mean taking it seriously and getting some good moments, frags, layer some realistic footage between the various demonstrations of the Predator's assets, and then add in some decent easy to follow commentary that isn't a stammering/repeating wreck with constant "Uh.." "Like...Uh..."

-and voila! If a quality video guide is made and linked like no tomorrow more people might be willing to try this mech after having an idea on how to play with it.

(Preferably with a more aggressive playstyle_ I suck at the whole laid back approach...)

Edited by Hastur609, March 07 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#73 Hellrazer_001

Hellrazer_001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostMeraple, on March 07 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Sorry man, but I just had 6 hours in a row of me stomping almost EVERY match in my Predator.

http://s28.postimg.o...03_05_00002.jpg

Seriously..

> I know taking out the wounded is viable but even then it usualy gets you killed by his friends

You should make a video, you will be able to show people how great you are, while showing us people that do not know how to play what we are doing wrong, Instead of sounding like you love yourself.

My Predator is fully Ranked and Leveled, so I do know how to use it, there are 2 lines of thought on the Predator, those that think it is ok and those that think it is flawed, and I have a feeling Ping may have something to do with it, because the one important shot of the Breacher may not register or register too late, and I have a high ping in all my matches, and have noticed when laying ten mines I quite often will have 2 not lay and I have to lay them again. also I have improved my score alot since going to the EOC Repeater because it can get more shots in, but it does not change the fact that in 90% of end game scores " and I am talking about everyone not just you heroes that cant see past your ego " that people using the Predator are usually in the 3 lowest scores, while the Infiltrator that now all of a sudden seems to be every where, even whole teams are frequently showing up, are always in the top scores, along with all the other Mechs.

Posted Image

Edited by Hellrazer_001, March 07 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#74 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted March 08 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostHellrazer_001, on March 07 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

View PostMeraple, on March 07 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://s28.postimg.o...03_05_00002.jpg

Seriously..

You should make a video, you will be able to show people how great you are, while showing us people that do not know how to play what we are doing wrong, Instead of sounding like you love yourself.

My Predator is fully Ranked and Leveled, so I do know how to use it, there are 2 lines of thought on the Predator, those that think it is ok and those that think it is flawed, and I have a feeling Ping may have something to do with it, because the one important shot of the Breacher may not register or register too late, and I have a high ping in all my matches, and have noticed when laying ten mines I quite often will have 2 not lay and I have to lay them again. also I have improved my score alot since going to the EOC Repeater because it can get more shots in, but it does not change the fact that in 90% of end game scores " and I am talking about everyone not just you heroes that cant see past your ego " that people using the Predator are usually in the 3 lowest scores, while the Infiltrator that now all of a sudden seems to be every where, even whole teams are frequently showing up, are always in the top scores, along with all the other Mechs.

Posted Image

Lol sorry, I was getting a bit tired of these posts.
I don't have a youtube account, so I guess I'll have to attach it to a post.

I'll post it in a few hours.
Busy with real life stuff atm.
I was playing on an open map though, so I died like 5 times, lol.

by the way, yeah, I can't play my Pred at all when my PING is at 80 or higher.
Every shot counts in the Pred.

Edited by Meraple, March 08 2014 - 12:47 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#75 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 08 2014 - 01:40 AM

If your ping sucks then maybe predator is not for you.
Ping/ latency is very important when playing overall anyway.
I however do not have this issue so I'm good.
On regards to the videos, I'm in the process of making some.
However my own computer isn't allowing me to do it smoothly.
It's an out dated 3-4 year old Acer gaming laptop.
Hellrazer is right, if your in the bottom 3 work on your skills!!!
But if your in the top 3 your a decent predator player.
If your always MVP in predator, your wrecking sh*t up!!!

Edited by Lightangel112, March 08 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#76 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted March 08 2014 - 03:08 AM

I can't upload the video here.. anyone have a YT account on which they can post it_

Posted Image

Spoiler

#77 Hellrazer_001

Hellrazer_001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted March 08 2014 - 03:22 AM

Its ok guys :), I enjoy playing the Predator, Like I said I presume because of my ping it is challenging, but it is the same with all Mechs to some extent, its just really alot more noticable in the Predator because of the low amount of Bullets being fired, Unfortunately I am in the same boat as a good part of the world with Ping, because Surprisingly the Australian, and all the Asian Servers are empty 90% of the time, I have never seen a person in the Asian servers every time I checked, and the Australian ones only seem to have 2 servers with people in them and only at night and not many, so we have to play USA.
My Predator scores are all over the Place sometimes I am doing pretty descent and others they come in looow, I had one match today where I played a few different Mechs in it, and when it was finished I had 44 points and I am like what the _, I killed a bunch of players and had 5450 damage to others, and 850 to me, and I only got 44 points !

The rose amongst the Thorns :)
Posted Image

Edited by Hellrazer_001, March 29 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#78 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted March 08 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostHellrazer_001, on March 08 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:

Its ok guys :), I enjoy playing the Predator, Like I said I presume because of my ping it is challenging, but it is the same with all Mechs to some extent, its just really alot more noticable in the Predator because of the low amount of Bullets being fired, Unfortunately I am in the same boat as a good part of the world with Ping, because Surprisingly the Australian, and all the Asian Servers are empty 90% of the time, I have never seen a person in the Asian servers every time I checked, and the Australian ones only seem to have 2 servers with people in them and only at night and not many, so we have to play USA.
My Predator scores are all over the Place sometimes I am doing pretty descent and others they come in looow, I had one match today where I played a few different Mechs in it, and when it was finished I had 44 points and I am like what the _, I killed a bunch of players and had 5450 damage to others, and 850 to me, and I only got 44 points !

8/1/13
Posted Image

The rose amongst the Thorns :)
Posted Image

Funny you say that. xD  My Predator is named 'Black Rose', also don't worry about the low scores.  It happens to everyone.

#79 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 11:27 PM

View PostMeraple, on March 08 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

I can't upload the video here.. anyone have a YT account on which they can post it_
Yeah I could upload for you. How would that work, email me the huge files___

#80 MigSu

MigSu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 08:59 PM

hello

I love the pred, but is like an eagle, an eagle in a ground battle against any ground animal, in this case the great eagle is in disadvantage against the other animal of the same size, because the price for the ability of flight is very high, so the same for pred, the price for that Cloak ability is too costly making this of one of the most weak B class mech.

Is hardly comparable of any other B or A mech in terms of rate of killing, i can be playing what i think is good, making much damage to the enemies and being too hard to be killed, when i see the score i am the last one lol, and and when i decide to use the Assault or Vers i see the difference and how easy is killing with this one.

Is still my favorite mech, but, yes i think it can be little better, or in healt, or speed, or that weakness of the cloak to Everything (omg) or the weapons, damn, is the only mech that has no any normal weapon, or cannon weapon, could be better.

thanks

Edited by MigSu, April 22 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Beta, Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users