HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Best mech_

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 mccrorie

mccrorie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted April 08 2014 - 04:06 PM

View Posticor1031, on February 13 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I have MC to spend, but I'm a noob.

Are there any mechs that are OP_

Thanks.

Get a tech.

#22 Blood_Jester

Blood_Jester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostGoretastik, on April 08 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

You are missing all the Ladies ...........make a mech or feminine style genre for the Ladies....a whole new demographic for the game.
My girlfriend really really wants that......and is some what pissed----all guy type game... get a girl designer she said....and she likes the play but Like a meck called Daisy Killer for example.......feminine like....you get the Idea....it opens a whole new demographic for a brand new income stream___ ya duh... LOL same pwr but fem.

I do believe Hawken does have female designers/employees, and if you look at the current selection of holo emotes, I say they are more towards the feminine/cutesy then a militaristic/manly. In regards to a mech name, you can rename the mech to whatever you want it to be, the generic name for the mechs often are attributed to what they do and are hence gender neutral.

If you want the designers to give an official name to a mech as "daisy killer" then techniquely that mech is a gardening mech.

I think hawken has catered more to female gamer's overall aesthetic taste then any FPS I have seen. I mean during valentines day they were selling this skin:

Posted Image

Edit: Mechwarrior offers nothing like this, TF2 has no female characters and the same applies to other FPS games. Hawken customizations allow you to make a feminine themed mech, you can buy pink skins etc. In fact in another thread, people were worried about the game moving more towards the cutesy/anime style and not being dark and gritty enough.

So what more does she want_ Unless she wants a mech to be designed with metallic cleavage on them_ :huh:

Edited by Blood_Jester, April 08 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#23 FuryMonster

FuryMonster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted April 08 2014 - 06:03 PM

use your MC to buy HC booster then play a bunch and it turns out to be better value in the long run.

Edited by FuryMonster, April 19 2014 - 02:53 AM.

Want to watch high tier scrims, clan and league matches_ Check out my YouTube! --->https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#24 awesomefu

awesomefu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 10:36 PM

I like the reaper.It has nice weapons and starts with a good explosive item, but it has low health cuz its a sniper.However, its pretty cheap and easy to get kills with.

#25 Dagon

Dagon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationunder the wreckage

Posted April 16 2014 - 05:39 AM

You are missing all the Ladies ...........make a mech or feminine style genre for the Ladies....a whole new demographic for the game.
My girlfriend really really wants that......and is some what pissed----all guy type game... get a girl designer she said....and she likes the play but Like a meck called Daisy Killer for example.......feminine like....you get the Idea....it opens a whole new demographic for a brand new income stream___ ya duh... LOL same pwr but fem.

I had no idea I was playing a game with gendered masculine mechs...

#26 LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:21 AM

lol wut_
Mechs have no gender.  I'm happy with the cosmetic options available.

Back on topic.  Try out mechs and spend your HC wisely.

I highly recommend: Vanguard, Assault and Berserker.  All are easy to use and will teach you a lot about the game.

Edited by LEmental, April 16 2014 - 06:29 AM.

Posted Image

#27 VocalMagic

VocalMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostBlood_Jester, on April 08 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

So what more does she want_ Unless she wants a mech to be designed with metallic cleavage on them_ :huh:

Haha! That'd be hilarious. I'd buy it.

I'll try shouting it again today: "Saturnine! Saturnine! Stop the spam, Saturnine!"

_, ,_ ∩ ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
( ゚∀゚)彡 S9!S9!▒▒▒
 ⊂彡▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

#28 ScottRidley

ScottRidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostLEmental, on April 16 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

lol wut_
A lolwut-pear shaped mech would be awesome. That said, my first mech purchase was an elephant-shaped one: the Infiltrator. Can highly recommend, it can do well in many roles with its diverse range of primaries, good mix of speed and fuel tank and its cloak.

There even is a "feminine" skin for it, with an actual colorful hindu art style elephant head painted on. I would buy it even though I'm neither a girl, femi-que(whyisthiscensored)er-genderist or able-ist, just 720MC is a bit steep.

Edited by ScottRidley, April 16 2014 - 06:49 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:18 AM

A class close range mechs are positively brutal right now in the hands of a good player. I would say "OP" at this point is based on "gives a good pilot a ridiculous advantage" vs. "gives every pilot a pay to win advantage". That being said, A class mechs, specifically Berserker and Scout are right now stupidly powerful on almost every map vs. almost any other kind of mech if you're decent.

The Sharpshooter, with slug/sabot/powershot/ability recovery internal can be stupidly overpowered if your aim is good. Like powershot sniping every 10-15 seconds or so if you get it down right. Incoming nerfbat!

#30 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:23 AM

Oh, but before you buy ANY mechs, I recommend maxing out your level on the CR-T. It's actually a fairly powerful mech (despite being your starting mech), loading internals and items in to it will give you an idea how they work, and the flexibility of the CR-T will let you figure out which way you'd most like to go for your next mech. Makes picking your next purchase pretty easy if you know you want to go faster, or more firepower, or longer range, or more health, etc...

#31 palad1ne

palad1ne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Locationuninstalled

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:55 AM

View Posticor1031, on February 13 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I have MC to spend, but I'm a noob.

Are there any mechs that are OP_

Thanks.

Buy assault or better, the vanguard. Have fun.

#32 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted April 16 2014 - 10:25 AM

Spend it on the predatorrrrr.  Because the name is badass.  And ut can go invis
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#33 PlagueDoctor

PlagueDoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 10:43 AM

Just buy assault and run a sub machine cannon on it. Congrats, you're playing the best mech.

I think it is 1000's of money. IT IS 1000,s OF MONEY!!!.

#34 Planerunner

Planerunner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationHere. Right here.

Posted April 16 2014 - 11:27 AM

First, i think the real question should be 'What mech should I play as a new player to this game_'

That means mechs that have high learning curves, or dominate at high MMR, etc should be right out.

Then there is your playstyle to consider.

Are you a young, dominant, highly skilled FPS player that plays like a rabbit on speed and Red Bull_ Then you should probably check out an A class to start with. Something like the Berzerker, which is somewhat OP and is currently in need of a little tuning down. This will help you learn the game while mastering the TOW (a weapon that is on MANY mechs across all classes), and getting your feet wet with Hawken. A scout is also another good choice because its weapons are all direct fire and pretty simple to use. Point and shoot. However, it is the proverbial glass cannon, so you must CONSTANTLY be on the move. A slow scout is a dead scout, even more so than a Berzerker.

If you're not a reflex-addled zen master, and need some HP to help soak up some hits (and yet still kick some butt) go with the Assault B class. It plays much like the Berzerker, except it can take a few more hits, has an awesome heat reduction special ability so you can pew pew more, and is currently considered one of the dominant mechs in the current meta. You can't go wrong with an Assault. The default Fred isn't bad either, but the Assault has a slightly different playstyle with some different advanatges (more pewpew). If you want to stick with beefier B class mechs, the Raider also isn't bad. But it is an all or nothing mech right now. Its secondary weapon, the MIRV, has a slow reload time. It hits like Thor's hammer, and you can absolutely wreck an A class with it . . . if you can hit directly. All in all it is a distant 2nd to the Assault/Fred, but it is still viable.

If you have excellent sniping abilities, I'd still recommend waiting to use them. You need to learn the maps to really take advantage of sniping mechs such as the Sharpshooter or Reaper. If you are deadset on sniping, hands down, take the Sharpshooter, avoid the Reaper. The Sharpshooter has high damage, instant-hit weapons that are deadly in the hands of the right player. Positioning is KEY with the Sharpshooter, more so than other mechs. To have good positioning, you need to learn Hawken's maps. Until then, I would avoid the SS and especially the Reaper. That thing needs a bit of dev tuning love right now.

If you have the reflexes of a sloth, go with something that puts you behind your team's frontlines and teaches you positioning, which is what Hawken is really all about. To do this, use something like the Bruiser B class or Rocketeer C class. Those mechs use the Hellfire, which is an easy to use lock on missile launcher that tracks to its target. But it is dodgeable and takes some time to master. The hellfire tracks to its locked target, but it is DUMB and SLOW. Smart opponents stick near cover so they can avoid it. Stay in the backfield behind your team, lock on and fire at enemy mechs to suppress and wear them down. Stay humble, stay behind, and watch. This ia great way to learn how to play the game and still do well on the carousel.

AVOID:
-Predator: At all costs, avoid the Predator. Heck, even veteran players avoid this thing. It is very difficult to learn. Some players never 'get' its playstyle, and its weapons are primarily responsible. It's secondary weapon is a mine layer. One of its primary weapons is another mine layer. I think you get the idea. You have to use a great deal of patience to play it. Most new players do horribly with it, to the point that they simply end up feeding most matches. This is easily the most difficult mech to learn in the game.

-Technician: Avoid this as your FIRST mech. Just because it has an autoaim heal beam doesn't make it a good first choice. Because you are playing a healer (which can flip the tables anytime it gets used), you will be target #1 for any player with 2 brain cells. Factor in the tech has a measily 315 health and the weakest A class weapon set in the game, and you have a bad combination for a first mech. Now later on, once you've mastered Hawken a bit, yes, this mech can r0x0rz their s0x0rz . . . but give it some time before you try wearing a giant 'shoot me like I'm Osama' sign on your mech.

-Reaper: Although this mech isn't horrible, another mech does most of its job better. The Reaper is in a weaker place in the current meta than it used to be. The devs have nerfed its weapon accuracy and damage to the point that it struggles somewhat. It also has a lower health pool thanks to being an A class. Definitely skip this and go straight to its bigger brother the Sharpshooter instead. It's not that the Reaper is bad, per se. It is simply outclassed by its big brother right now.

Posted Image

#35 Hell_Diguner

Hell_Diguner

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 03:16 PM

You all realize the OP hasn't even replied to this topic since February, right_

I recommend new players stick to the CRT (Also known as the Fred) for a while. Build up your HC and play with the test drive mechs to try and figure out unfamiliar aspects of Hawken. When you start to feel comfortable (or bored) with the CRT, you should have a good idea of what mech (read: playstyle) you want to buy next, and have plenty of HC to do it. Also be aware items and internals are quite expensive and not critical to the function of each mech. No, you don't need air compressor on everything to be effective <_<

The Assault is going to feel identical to the CRT for anybody who hasn't played Hawken for quite some time. Big waste of HC for a new player.

The Reaper is a marksman, but NOT a designated sniper. Think mid range support.

The Scout and Raider are not particularly good second mech choices (CRT is always first) because they have specialized playstyles that insulate a player from the rest of the meta of the game. They'll teach you all about flanking (memorizing the map), stealth (radar and fields of view), and much of hit and run combat - but little else of the meta. If you choose this as your second mech, you'll eventually discover there are some games of TDM, MA, and Siege where, despite doing well as a Scout or Raider, you aren't being particularly useful in helping your team win the game.

"Behind the front line" mechs are great for teaching a new player to pay attention to positioning and what's happening in the meta of a match. You make the mistake of collecting 250 EU -only to have the battleship launch before you can deliver it- only a couple times before you train yourself to look at the launch EU counter frequently.

#36 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted April 18 2014 - 01:25 AM

vanguard :P kitted with submachinegun and other parts i wont say its pretty beast
i don't mean any of it

#37 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted April 19 2014 - 12:39 AM

Brawler.
but u can't buy brawler!
because when newbies players buy brawler, then say: "Brawler is a piece of fuzzy bunny! wtf_"
if u want play on brawler like a "pro", u need be a "pro" on scout first :D
then buy a brawler and kill all what you see. true.

but better - spend mc on camo for Brawler :Ъ

Haha, no mechs are OP. Skill > mech.
say this assault+smc :lol:
jk

edit: mistakes

Edited by nepacaka, April 19 2014 - 01:03 AM.

#38 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 19 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostPlanerunner, on April 16 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

You have to use a great deal of patience to play it.

Not really, depends on how you want to play it.
You don't have to lay traps in order to do well in it.
Neither do you need to be patient.

I basicly use it as a cloaking EOC Raider.
Except a bit more aggresive in my movement, which is possible thanks to the Heat Vision + Cloak.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#39 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted April 19 2014 - 01:45 AM

I'm actually better with the Reaper than the Sharpshooter, but that's because they're almost entirely different mechs. The SS is a traditional sit back in the back and actually snipe kinda sniper, whereas the Reaper is a very agile A-class skirmisher that just happens to have light sniper rifle on it. It's basically for if you want the speed of a Scout or 'Zerker, but don't want to engage in point blank face-hugging to do your damage. Honestly I managed to surprise myself with how fast I got it to rank 6. It's a lot better mech than folks give it credit for.

Just play it as a hit and run antagonist, burn PO every time it comes up, and watch your damage ratio go stupidly high.

#40 Vdragon

Vdragon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationWhere you drink red wines, eat long breads, and put a beret on the top of your mech.

Posted April 19 2014 - 05:00 AM

Lol, reading most answers made me laugh.
Like, in a nutshell: "predator is bad", assault is op, a > b > c...
It all depend on many more factors than the mechs...
From what i've seen, it's more a = b = c, assault is balanced, predator is OP in a few situation (example: lay mines on the people down fighting while having the cloak activated on the platform near the base in origin: undetectable, and extremely destructive for the ennemie's life pool, also, it's mesmerizing when you are the victim, thanks to the bizarre radar invisibleness of the predator).
C can outrun A easily on MA.
Assault is balanced, it's just a really forgiving mech, with all due respect to people thinking it shouldn't be forgiving, forgiving mechs are necessary to suit all peoples playstyles.
Just try mechs, and when you find one that you enjoy to play, use your mc to make it look better.
Also, SMC is fuzzy bunny imho.

Edited by Vdragon, April 19 2014 - 05:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users