HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Reaper vs Heavy Tactics

Forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted April 01 2014 - 01:51 PM

First off a little disclaimer: when I play as reaper I use it as a skirmisher, not as a sniper, I find it's not powerful enough at range to be an effective sniper.

When I go head to head with a heavy in turret mode as a reaper I generally throw a dome sheild right on top of them then walk away from any cover that they might be near, (the sjield keeps them from shooting me as I do this) they'll usually try to follow me (also leaving the shield) which allows me to jump over them and do a 180 getting the damage bonus. You can also jump on top of them, which will give you THAT damage and also (usually) you'll go behind them allowing you to get the extra damage. This tactic works best against rocketeers and grenadiers, who generally have longer range supression type weapons, but I have effectivley used it aginst brawlers, and vanguard too. With the Incinerators I find that dodging around them and hovering erratically (as in going up and down a lot) is effective because they can't get a good bead on you with their secondary, and if you play it right, you are too far away to get hit by their fire blast effectivley. These two tactics will be helpful for other effective mid/ short range light mechs like the scout or the berserker. And generally this is more of a solo 1v1 tactic as it isn't really nessesary to do when you have help, and its definatley not useful if the heavy has help.

#2 IronClamp

IronClamp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationIn Space's Solemn Silence

Posted April 02 2014 - 05:05 PM

Dude, use the Reap as a sniper.

Also, never go toe-to-toe with a C-class in an A-class like the Reaper. You have the Sabot Rifle, use the damn thing!

Again, also, the AM-SAR is not a skirmish weapon (I assume as you are new that you haven't unlocked Hawkins-RPR), to me it seems intended to be used as a mid-range, get-me-the-fuzzy bunny-away-from-here, shoot-em-in-the-back kind of weapon.

It's alright, I've yet to unlock the Hawkins also...unless you're one of those freaks that play five hours and get to Mech Lvl. 5 in a single day, then you seem not know how to use a sniper load out.

"Or maybe we'll just have to go through you"

#3 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted April 02 2014 - 05:16 PM

Popping turreted C's w/ reaper cqc is a lot of fun OP.
Cool tactic!

#4 YourBusDriver

YourBusDriver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 06:30 PM

The reaper is way too versatile to be labeled as just a sniper, or scout, or light brawler.

Depending on the primary selected, you go from long range / med range (AM-SAR), to short range (Hawkins-RPR), to sniper (Slug Rifle).

Range wise: Sniper > Long Range > Medium Range > Short Range > CQB

The KE-Sabot complements each of the Reaper's select weapons - exemplifying the mech's core use.
  • A well placed shot with the KE-Sabot during an ambush can cripple the enemy, and the Hawkins-RPR acts as a superb followup.
  • ​Consistent, directed fire works well to stave off enemies at long to medium range with the AM-SAR, and the KE-Sabot adds a little more substance to the barrage.
  • The Slug Rifle is an excellent sniper weapon, and the KE-Sabot has the umpf to back it up.
So long as the player keeps: sight on target; maintains consistent directed fire; upholds the element of surprise; and anticipates major blows - the pilot can be successful with this mech. Along with an understanding of equipment, and weapon selection - the player cant go wrong. Only the gamer's skill and play style will ultimately determine effectiveness if all those credentials are filled.

Edited by YourBusDriver, April 02 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#5 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted April 02 2014 - 07:25 PM

The primary on the Reaper changes what ranges it plays.
Though Hawkins-RPR essentially lets Reaper cover all ranges, especially with Accuracy Overdrive active.
Whatever primary you use, stay mobile with Reaper.

Edited by Stingz, April 02 2014 - 07:29 PM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#6 Frisbee_Player

Frisbee_Player

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDefinitley not wasting my time on the computer when its nice out...

Posted April 04 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostIronClamp, on April 02 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Dude, use the Reap as a sniper.

Again, also, the AM-SAR is not a skirmish weapon (I assume as you are new that you haven't unlocked Hawkins-RPR), to me it seems intended to be used as a mid-range, get-me-the-fuzzy bunny-away-from-here, shoot-em-in-the-back kind of weapon.

Just so you know I'm rank 6 w/ reaper (Pilot lvl 20) in the game, I'm only a n00b in the forums

And I do use the Hawkins-RPR I think it makes the reaper more versatile in terms of play style, but the AM-SAR is also really very effective close range due to its moderate rate of fire, and its higher damage

View PostIronClamp, on April 02 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Also, never go toe-to-toe with a C-class in an A-class like the Reaper. You have the Sabot Rifle, use the damn thing!

The whole point of this post is to give a method for going 1v1 with a C in an A mech without dying a horrible burning death at the hands of some faceless turret. Also the KE-Sabot is better (in my opinion) for close of skirmishing due to the fact that it has high damage, and its projectile is fast, much eaier to hit someone with it than with a TOW or an unguided Hellfire because its a lot harder to dodge it.

Edited by Frisbee_Player, April 04 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#7 SuperSpartacus

SuperSpartacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWestern MA, US

Posted April 04 2014 - 01:59 PM

IMO if you can get on top, any of the turreted C classes should be easy to take down. If they're not turreted/are a vanguard player who is half decent DO NOT TRY TO JUMP OVER THEM! A vanguard can move backwards about as quickly as you can jump over them and it's not as difficult as you think for them to keep a bead on you (coming from someone who plays both vanguard and reaper).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users