HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

COMPLETE LIST of possible Hawken Improvements

Beta Community Review Game

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: Priority list (142 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think should be changed IN PRIORITY before the 2nd closed beta session_ (multiple choice possible)

1. Fonts (17 votes [5.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.11%

2. Server Filters (64 votes [19.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.22%

3. Film Grain Toggle (39 votes [11.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.71%

4. More Graphic Options (Anti aliasing/trilinear filters and the like) (40 votes [12.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.01%

5. No Load-out Reset (21 votes [6.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.31%

6. "Uncap 60FPS" Toggle (23 votes [6.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.91%

7. 3rd Camera Option (15 votes [4.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.50%

8. In-game Chat (40 votes [12.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.01%

9. Controller support (XBOX 360 pad, PS pad ...) (20 votes [6.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

10. More Mech Customization (cf. end of post) (54 votes [16.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

Would you use a 3rd person camera to play Hawken_

1. Yes (15 votes [13.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.39%

2. No (39 votes [34.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.82%

3. Too damn complicated to code at this stage of development, leave the devs alone! (13 votes [11.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.61%

4. Why not as a spectator mode_ (45 votes [40.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.18%

Will you spend actual money in the game when it is out_

1. Yes (38 votes [36.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.54%

2. No (12 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

3. Depends on whether they listen to community feedback before 12.12.12 (17 votes [16.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.35%

4. Depends on how they improve the game till 12.12.12 (37 votes [35.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Th4nis

Th4nis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:26 AM

[Last updated: 10/31/12, 9PM CET - Happy Halloween!]

I am sorry for this LOOOOOOOONG post but there had been quite a few posts about a single issue, and I'm trying my best to regroup them all in one fat post with categories, so that devs can easily have feedback. That said, I would like to say that this is not a rant post at all. This is purely feedback, and I guess than we are all aware that making a game happen and correct every damn feature takes a lot of time, especially when you are an indie team.

TO THE BETA PLAYERS: Thank you for your input thus far and for your votes in the poll. I've seen we reached over a 100 voters! I hope this thread will make the dev's work easier, i.e. to get the feedback from this 1st closed event from the most participating of us.

AS of the 29th of October, the most demanded features in the polls are:
  • Filter set for the server list
  • Mech customization should be expanded
  • More graphic options should be in the video menu
  • Followed closely by: the film grain effect should be removable, like motion blur.
TL;DR, without further ado, the raw data.

INDEX:
  • TOP PRIORITY Improvements (as asked by bêta testers)

• General UI Improvements

• In-Game UI Improvements

• Non-UI related Improvements; including suggestions by the community
TOP PRIORITY (multiple threads/posts/goes in addition to the polls):

• FONTS SHOULD BE BIGGER THAN THEY ARE, except maybe "prompt box" fonts. Also, they do not scale well.
  • Server filters should be added to the server list: player count/map/mode/latency &c
  • Film grain should be removable (eye fatigue / readability)
  • Loadout reset is a crime.
  • The currency gain in the game is too slow. Cf. poll in this thread: http://community.pla...te/page__st__20
  • The in-game chat is mixed with the kill feed. The two of them should be separated and the chat should have a proper key to have the following options: always active / pop up when there is a new message (should be the normal mode) / hidden.
  • On the same topic: VOIP using players should be mutable.
GENERAL UI improvement:

Syncing:
  • It appears that syncing is happening twice when a player is disconnected by a server.
Menus:
  • Video menu could be better if "advanced" options would appear on the right rather than below. Taking advantage of widescreen res rather than "tablet like" vertical menus that require scrolling. (CF. poll/see it as useless if vertical votes > horizontal votes)
  • In the general menu: the font used to choose the cockpit color should be in the actual color. (Lack of visual feedback / Annoying to test them all in-game (minor change))
  • APPLY button (in video settings) should be at the bottom of the box, not on top of everything (already spotted by mod/counter-intuitive positioning)
  • Would it be possible to not only window Hawken, but also, in a separate window, a server list and/or friend list.
  • Spiderz asked if it were possible to have clan tags in-game: cf. thread + poll here: http://community.pla...please-support/
Friend list:
  • Friend list should either not be transparent OR have a transparency that should be editable in general menu. (readability)
VIDEO specific:
  • An option to unlock "60 FPS" cap could be great. (Other than the VSync/capped smooth setting)
  • 3rd person camera option_ (CF. poll)
GARAGE specific:
  • Weapons perfs should be easier to read (too small)
  • It should be allowed to select which mech goes on top of the list if the player wants to. Why not adding a "custom" switch: normal mode would be the one currently in the beta, i.e. experience based, the other position being the custom listing.
IN-GAME specific:

Load-out screen:
  • The text/scoreboard should be usable with a key assignment during the load out screen. (currently need to click on score: could be overridden by a simple "key-pushing")
  • Loadout reset is a crime. (yeah, this is here twice. It's THAT important)
  • The EU canister should have a better description : please specify this is a siege mode-related item. (confusing) http://i.imgur.com/bADd8.jpg
Cockpit Related:

HUD:
  • Players in need of help should have a visible ping in the cockpit itself. Otherwise the feature is pretty useless, as mech fights are already messy enough... (perhaps make their ping two or three seconds long, some kind of blue or orange box indicating their current location.)
  • The C-class turret mode desperatly need a health indicator when in the turret mode. Otherwise they are pretty much sitting turrets ducks.
  • Perhaps the fuel gauge could receive a color-coding status: green for 100% to red for depleted.
  • The list of deployable objects should be randomly chosen when the player spawn: instead, it should be configurable by the player (garage and load-out screen). Also, it could be useful to have the three potential objects appear onscreen with the selected object being highligthed.
Radar:
  • While the enemies ping color (red) is fine, it could be useful to have friendlies in another color, especially when enemies and allies are above or below the pilot. (another thread said this)
  • Pilots calling out for help should have ping on the radar
VOIP:
Score:
  • The [X] system to know where we are in our current streak is pretty cool HOWEVER:
  • we should be able to see how many points we get when killing an enemy
  • same goes with the kill assist
  • if there are points given for the control of an objective, it should be mentioned
=> I suggest a small "XP/POINTS" feed on the upper right corner of the cockpit, giving the pilot the updated sum of his points. It could be divided in small categories like "kill/assist/objectives" with the sum at the bottom. (my 2cts)

Sounds:
  • While most sounds from our weapons are okay, it would be better if the impact sounds (missiles hitting our mechs, anything that deals heavy damage) were louder. You should probably go back to the youtube video level of sound regarding the alarm... could give us a bit more of a hint that it is time to GTFO.
IN-GAME:

Grid system
  • Although I am not sure it is feasible, a grid system could be nice to know where the coms come from. If not a grid, perhaps a "location display" could do the trick. Again, a ping in the cockpit could facilitate all this process... even though in the end, it might become kinda messy.
Siege mode:
  • A better view of the parts of the battleship that can be shot down by mechs would help the losing team take a last desperate action. (Maybe adding more health to said parts to balance a "sniper only team" to take them down without the use of missiles)
Deathmatch:
  • The spawning areas are fucked not optimized. It's too easy to either get farmed or to farm people. (at least on Andromeda/personal experience)
End of Round:
  • The in-game chat could translate into an "end of round" chat with all players present before the new round commence.
  • If you implant some kind of map rotation system, a small image of the map or the title of it should be put in the end of round screen.
  • the killing/death/assist orders in the score menu is confusing since most games have adopted a K/A/D categorization, not the current K/D/A. (Images courtesy of BRASH) http://i.imgur.com/LKl50.jpg should be in this order: http://i.imgur.com/oz27n.jpg
OTHER GAME FEATURES:

Controls related:
  • Will there be a controller menu for people who use... well, controllers_
  • Could you allow the "tab" key to still show the score when in the load-out screen_
  • After each patch the key-bindings reset... it's pretty annoying though I doubt anything can be done against it
Mech customization:
  • Could you put a small spot on your mech where players could put a flag or a pre-designed icon/emblem_ Not to advertise another game, but Blacklight had such a feature and I found it pretty cool to personalize your mech with something else than camo. (other thread / suggestion/meteor points only_)
  • nstead of having pre-designed camo that are funny looking (flamboyant colors = uniforms, not camos), why not switch them to patterns_ It could be possible to pick a color rather than just select a saturation. (other thread/meteor points only)
  • Redirecting to a great post about shop/customization by Immie: http://community.pla...ation-overhaul/
Specific Servers:
  • Could it be possible to have "noob friendly" servers that would automatically kick mechs that are above a certain level_ It could also be good servs to build up your mech and would avoid the pay to win model at least at the beginning. => more players having a good experience = more $$!
P.S. To Hawken devs/mods: please check the last comments, I did not re-write everything in the post... Also, I am sorry but I cannot continue to update it, so if anyone wants to continue this work, I'll provide her/him with the HTML in PM. Thanks guys for making this list happen :)

Edited by Th4nis, October 31 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#2 caliburo_0

caliburo_0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 09:14 AM

changing resolution always click on "no" because most games that I play have the no on the right and yes on the left. not really problem just want to put that out there

#3 Protocol18

Protocol18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:08 AM

^^ took me a good minute to find the apply button.. started clicking randomly everywhere on screen till I saw it.

Also set it to the native resolution possible by default.. 1280x1040 or whatever it was looked horrible on my screen.. couldnt read anything, changed it to 2560x1440 and now its crystal clear and menu graphics are visually pleasing lol..

#4 Th4nis

Th4nis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:11 AM

Changing this thread to a list of potential user interface improvement.

#5 Zone22

Zone22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:40 AM

An option to increase the font size so that I can read some of the Ui.

#6 Protocol18

Protocol18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 10:47 AM

just posted this in another thread...

View PostProtocol18, on October 26 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

since this topic is on UI ....
garage >> body shop >> thrust nozzle >> light blue .... it's green__

edit:
under equipped tab no info is displayed when you mouseover the "alternate primary" stats ... every other stat bar on screen displays info on mouse over ..

#7 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:08 PM

The friends list needs to be non-transparent.  As it is, it's hard to read and see who is in the list.

The add pilot field also should appear within the top of the window.  As it is now, it seems to be hard coded to appear on the right side, regardless if the main window is next to the edge of the screen or not (which makes the text box field off the screen and unusable).

Having a way to adjust the transparency level would be good to have,

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#8 AshLeaf

AshLeaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:14 PM

3rd person camera option would bring the whole mechwarrior/armoredcore feeling to the game, fully support this idea if implemented.

as far as controller implementaion goes, i would love dual joystick configuration for that immersive experience in mech control, and this would require a fully customizable controller menu and joystick mod options :lol:

Edited by AshLeaf, October 26 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#9 FarmerG

FarmerG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 12:46 PM

View Postcaliburo_0, on October 26 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

changing resolution always click on "no" because most games that I play have the no on the right and yes on the left. not really problem just want to put that out there

Most games don't have 'text' 'text' as options when resetting their key bindings.

#10 Sibuli

Sibuli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 03:57 PM

Text chat and scoreboard should be usable with the assigned keys when selecting your mech.

Edited by Sibuli, October 26 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#11 Thyrael

Thyrael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 26 2012 - 04:34 PM

I can fully agree to the starting Post. These Changes would make Hawken much better in Usability. :)

#12 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 26 2012 - 11:43 PM

I vote yes on propositions film grain toggle, fps cap option, usb controller options and 3rd person/spectator mode.
Posted Image

#13 NotYourself

NotYourself

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 10:37 AM

+100000000000 to increasing the font size. Or at least having an option for font size/UI scaling.

1280x800 resolution and the words SOOOO TINY in most areas.  Item descriptions are the worst....

#14 Andur4

Andur4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:31 AM

I agree than the font size needs to be properly re-sized. Due to hardware limitations I have to run the game on a window and the font size is so small it's impossible to see things like item descriptions (which is not good for a player who doesn't know what each item and upgrade does).

#15 RockSlide

RockSlide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted October 27 2012 - 12:15 PM

One thing I really want to see after playing a bit this weekend, is the ability to chat in the after game, score/report area. You can use VOIP while looking at MVP and final scores etc. but not type (smack talk, gg).

Also, in game I think messages should remain on the screen a tiny bit longer maybe 1 sec longer so I don't have to bring up the console to see what was typed.

Edited by RockSlide, October 27 2012 - 12:16 PM.

RockSlide! It's super effective.

#16 Mezion

Mezion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 03:33 PM

Server name on scoreboard would be awesome - I can't tell people where to join me!

#17 Mezion

Mezion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted October 27 2012 - 03:55 PM

1:
    IN-GAME:
    Some kind of in-game chat could be useful to discuss tactics/taunts the enemy.

Suggestion:
Command wheel for common command, with focus context.

Description
Battlfield 2142 and nuclear dawn have a voice command wheel. You hold down 'q' and commands are shown at each 45 degree angle - move in, enemy spotted, need backup etc. This also pings on the radar as to where the person who said the command was, or what they were looking at.

2:
Server browser to sort by column when clicking on column header - Sort by player, ping etc.

#18 ThaNikkitz

ThaNikkitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRight Behind You ;)

Posted October 27 2012 - 03:58 PM

3rd person camera can sound complicated to use, but imagine people recording the game (which actually happens more often than you would think, not that I do it). This game is preety epic from a 1st person perspective. Imagine the potential using different camera angles. I know it's freaking hard to re-write the code in order to add this idea I mentioned, I was just trying to make a point here :D
You Know it was ThaNikkitz!

#19 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted October 27 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostThaNikkitz, on October 27 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

3rd person camera can sound complicated to use, but imagine people recording the game (which actually happens more often than you would think, not that I do it). This game is preety epic from a 1st person perspective. Imagine the potential using different camera angles. I know it's freaking hard to re-write the code in order to add this idea I mentioned, I was just trying to make a point here :D

I badly want a 3rd person/spectator mode. They've already shown the capability for it in their videos, as well as a free-roaming camera, why not give us the tools too_
Posted Image

#20 Th4nis

Th4nis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted October 27 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostMezion, on October 27 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

1:
IN-GAME:
Some kind of in-game chat could be useful to discuss tactics/taunts the enemy.

Suggestion:
Command wheel for common command, with focus context.

Description
Battlfield 2142 and nuclear dawn have a voice command wheel. You hold down 'q' and commands are shown at each 45 degree angle - move in, enemy spotted, need backup etc. This also pings on the radar as to where the person who said the command was, or what they were looking at.

2:
Server browser to sort by column when clicking on column header - Sort by player, ping etc.

That's what I meant by "server filters" :) Thanks for the "command wheel" suggestion!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Review, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users