HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

What is/are my bottle neck(s) of system requirements and fps problems

Forum

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Polarous74

Polarous74

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 04:49 AM

Okay, so I got Hawken less than a week ago, and so far I love it, but my game runs at 40-50 fps at the start of the battle and drops to about 25 fps when in a fight, and when I move during fights, like flying and boosting and what not, it is very jagged movement, it does not feel smooth at all, and this causes most of my deaths in Hawken. I play scout 99% of the time and I'm guessing that the scout's mobility and my high mouse speed is what causes all the jagged movements, but I'm not entirely sure. I run the game on everything set to low, and my f.o.v is at the highest(I'm not sure if the f.o.v does anything to mess my fps up). I turned off everything in the video settings but left the full screen and boarder less window on. anyway, I'm wondering what my bottle neck might be, or if there is more than one, here are my specs:
Windows 8
Processor: AMD A10-5745M APU with radeon™ HD graphics 2.10 GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.20 GB usable)
64-bit operating system
radeon dual graphics
graphics has 5179 MB
    I tried everything to increase fps, without going overboard and getting a Plasticine looking game, and that includes lowering the video settings and editing the .ini files in Hawkensystemsettings and hawkenengine.
If there's nothing left for me to do, then I might stop playing because of this low fps, oh and regarding the jagged movement, when I do the shift+s or the 180 turn, it occasionally freezes for a split second and speeds up to catch up to my movement. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

#2 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted June 24 2014 - 05:04 AM

Might be the APU, considering Radeon on an APU isn't exactly a discrete GPU.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#3 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted June 24 2014 - 05:11 AM

AMD folks have worked some stuff out - older posts in the forum (try a detailed search) probably have useful info for the AMD guys.

I went i5/nvidia.
Posted Image

#4 Polarous74

Polarous74

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 05:38 AM

thanks

#5 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 24 2014 - 06:04 AM

With an APU, your bottleneck will be your system memory. Since the GPU shares your sysystem's RAM, you will get a bottleneck. However, if you get faster RAM, the system will go faster overall.

I always recommend going with a standalone card if possible. Much better performance and reduces bottlenecks. However, you can still get one if your CPU just cannot keep the GPU fed, PCIe bandwidth limitations (running a top end card on an x4 link for example), so and so on.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#6 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted June 24 2014 - 06:28 AM

^<==<< what OmegaNull said, and:

Hawken Minimum System Requirements
CPU: 2Ghz Dual Core
RAM: 3GB of Memory
GPU RAM: 512MB Graphics card supporting DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 3.0
GPU: nVidia 9800 GTX or AMD HD 5670
HDD: 5GB
NET: Broadband connection

[see PlayHawken.com for more data]

Mine:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD8350 @4.2gHz (I'd go higher, but it's aircooled...)
16gB ram
hd7750 1gB gpu @900/1250mHz running @"medium" (LastEco makes "high" give me motion sickness)
Barracuda 1TB hdd
5Mb/s cable

scavenging some stuff (bluray, 2 fans, 8gB ram) from an old box, this setup ran me slightly over $500 USD from a major discount electronics online store.
it barely qualifies as "midrange" in the Recommended category. You're big issue will always be the GPU. If I had a bigger piggy bank, I'd get one of the awesome new nVidia cards. And a windowbox A/C for the room....
:D
sorry about the fonts. i'm having cut&paste issues today, it seems

Edited by EM1O, June 24 2014 - 06:47 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#7 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 06:35 AM

Hi,

1. Problem is your APU, CPU&GPU Unit are both not strong enough to handle this game
2. with better RAM (i dont know, what you have), you get more performance, because APU's get faster with faster Ram, like 1866/2133 (you can goole for some tests)
3. this game is all about Nvidia, so if you want a good gameexperience, you need a very strong AMD Card, or a Mid Nvidia Card

For example, i run the game on this system: Intel 2500K@4.5Ghz | AMD 7850 2GB @1.2Ghz (normal 0.86Ghz), my card is as fast as the AMD 7870 <-> 7950. But i dont have in every situation or map 60fps  forever, it drops from time to time, depend on how much is going on and which map i play (Last Eco has terrible performance).

So, you need a powerful AMD Graphicscard, or a decent Nvidia Card to run this game smoothly. I dont know, if your APU CPU can handle this game for sure, you have to test it, if not, it will become a bottleneck for your graphicscard (CPU too slow, graphicscard cant use all the power it have). You, if you have bad luck, you have to buy a new system (Mainboard/CPU/GPU).

If you dont knw what to buy

AMD: AMD 280 - best solution in price/performance and future (3GB V-Ram)
Nvidia: GTX 780 - expensive, but much power and 3GB V-Ram (for example, Watch Dogs needs 3GB) - the decent card would be a GTX 760

Alternativ
If you dont have the money to buy a new GPU or something more, even new ram, you could try to minimize the fps spikes to a minimum with MSI Afterburner. Install this tool and use rivatunerstaticsserver -> Framerate Limit -> 30

30fps isnt that fun, but its better to have more a constant framerate than a framerate jumps high&down. Hope i could help you out a little bit :)

Kind Regards,
Galaxy Radio

Edited by GalaxyRadio, June 24 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#8 xeroslash

xeroslash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostPolarous74, on June 24 2014 - 04:49 AM, said:

A10-5745M APU with radeon™ HD graphics 2.10 GHz

radeon dual graphics

1. You're running a mobile APU, so I'm assuming that you're running on a laptop, which means upgrades other than hard drive and RAM are mostly out of the question. If you can, as others suggested, get higher speed RAM.

2. You also mentioned radeon dual graphics - do you also have a discrete GPU_ Some laptops do ship with such a configuration, and if yours is the case, I suggest disabling any sort of dual graphics/hybrid crossfire options in your Catalyst Control Center. If you're unsure of your specs and don't know where to look, you can use Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy

3. Assuming that you're running a laptop, please get a cooling pad if you haven't already.
xeroslash || US East/Central
https://www.youtube.com/user/xeroslash

Posted Image

#9 Polarous74

Polarous74

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostGalaxyRadio, on June 24 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Hi,

1. Problem is your APU, CPU&GPU Unit are both not strong enough to handle this game
2. with better RAM (i dont know, what you have), you get more performance, because APU's get faster with faster Ram, like 1866/2133 (you can goole for some tests)
3. this game is all about Nvidia, so if you want a good gameexperience, you need a very strong AMD Card, or a Mid Nvidia Card

For example, i run the game on this system: Intel 2500K@4.5Ghz | AMD 7850 2GB @1.2Ghz (normal 0.86Ghz), my card is as fast as the AMD 7870 <-> 7950. But i dont have in every situation or map 60fps  forever, it drops from time to time, depend on how much is going on and which map i play (Last Eco has terrible performance).

So, you need a powerful AMD Graphicscard, or a decent Nvidia Card to run this game smoothly. I dont know, if your APU CPU can handle this game for sure, you have to test it, if not, it will become a bottleneck for your graphicscard (CPU too slow, graphicscard cant use all the power it have). You, if you have bad luck, you have to buy a new system (Mainboard/CPU/GPU).

If you dont knw what to buy

AMD: AMD 280 - best solution in price/performance and future (3GB V-Ram)
Nvidia: GTX 780 - expensive, but much power and 3GB V-Ram (for example, Watch Dogs needs 3GB) - the decent card would be a GTX 760

Alternativ
If you dont have the money to buy a new GPU or something more, even new ram, you could try to minimize the fps spikes to a minimum with MSI Afterburner. Install this tool and use rivatunerstaticsserver -> Framerate Limit -> 30

30fps isnt that fun, but its better to have more a constant framerate than a framerate jumps high&down. Hope i could help you out a little bit :)

Kind Regards,
Galaxy Radio
Thanks so much, this did help me alot :D I have a laptop, I forgot to mention that lol, so I'm not sure I can change the apu,gpu,cpu or whatever hehe. I tried the msi afterburner, it worked like a charm,

#10 Polarous74

Polarous74

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 09:08 AM

View Postxeroslash, on June 24 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

A10-5745M APU with radeon™ HD graphics 2.10 GHz

radeon dual graphics

1. You're running a mobile APU, so I'm assuming that you're running on a laptop, which means upgrades other than hard drive and RAM are mostly out of the question. If you can, as others suggested, get higher speed RAM.

2. You also mentioned radeon dual graphics - do you also have a discrete GPU_ Some laptops do ship with such a configuration, and if yours is the case, I suggest disabling any sort of dual graphics/hybrid crossfire options in your Catalyst Control Center. If you're unsure of your specs and don't know where to look, you can use Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy

3. Assuming that you're running a laptop, please get a cooling pad if you haven't already.
I do have a laptop, and I do have a cooling pad, and I did try to disable the dual graphics but it disables the gpu and leaves the apu, is this good or bad_ if it's bad, is there any way to switch it so I can disable the apu instead of the gpu_ thanks.

Edited by Polarous74, June 24 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#11 xeroslash

xeroslash

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 11:22 AM

View PostPolarous74, on June 24 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

I do have a laptop, and I do have a cooling pad, and I did try to disable the dual graphics but it disables the gpu and leaves the apu, is this good or bad_ if it's bad, is there any way to switch it so I can disable the apu instead of the gpu_ thanks.

I don't own such a laptop but take a look at this to see if it helps. The general idea is to force the laptop to use your discrete GPU rather than have it use a mix of both and/or default to the integrated GPU.

http://h10025.www1.h...c=en&lc=en#N625
xeroslash || US East/Central
https://www.youtube.com/user/xeroslash

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users