HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Android application for Hawken

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 03 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hello all.

I work as a software developer and in my spare time I like to work on personal projects. How would the community feel for an android application that displays all of the relevant material do do with hawken_

Unlike most android applications I won't incorporate ads and I will release it as open source.
The only gain I will get is to improve my understanding of android development. Let me know if this is something you would like

#2 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 03:21 PM

Sounds like fun!

Hope you make it compatible with Amazon app store/fire phone too! :)

#3 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 03 2014 - 04:43 PM

I mentioned opensource linux porting a loooooong time ago (android i believe is ~kernel 2.4 or something).  [insert sound of crickets chirping]
trust me: this is a for-profit enterprise. the source code for this game may be accessible for development, but I sincerely doubt it will ever be released as FOSS. ever.
:P

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#4 Shadeness

Shadeness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 04:52 PM

What kind of information_

#5 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 03 2014 - 11:35 PM

View PostShadeness, on August 03 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

What kind of information_
Yeah, what information_ A faster forum browser would be neat :)
Kind of like the facebook app where you can download  it and be faster or use your web browser cuz you're lazy lol

#6 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 04 2014 - 04:36 AM

I was thinking of incorporating the menus you see on the front webpage into the application. Forums browsing huh_ I've done something like this in the pass for an application. Some functionalities will require the user to login into their hawken account (viewing there profile etc forum posting)  this may put off some people, but as the code will be read by any one, they will no that the application isn't trying to steal their details etc. Beauty of open source software.

#7 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 04 2014 - 05:00 AM

Just to let people know, you will only need to login in once and the session will expire once the cookie associated with your credentials has expired. Because java offers excellent HTTP support, this will make things alot easier and I can focus on the functionalities of the application

#8 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 04 2014 - 05:02 AM

It would be also nice if I can incorporate the colour scheme you see on this site and some artwork. I may have to email the developers of Hawken to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. Obviously, if I can do this, I will also add into the app that I don't own the artwork etc associated with Hawken,

#9 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 04 2014 - 07:23 AM

A forum app would be super shweet. The site's good and all, but a dedicated HAWKEN app would way more rad! :D Thanks a ton!

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#10 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 04 2014 - 08:12 AM

View PostSatelliteJack, on August 04 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

A forum app would be super shweet. The site's good and all, but a dedicated HAWKEN app would way more rad! :D Thanks a ton!

Cheers. I will look into how I will design the application this week. I will post some ideas about how I would want the app to look. I will also love your suggestions too, as I want this app to be as sweet as it could and as a programmer, I have no clue about user experience :-D. I have a basic idea of how I will incorporate the various features too.

Hopefully I will start the app sometime soon (within this month). In the meanwhile, could people post on this thread what they would like to be seen inside the app_ I'm currently working on an Android project at the moment, and I will look forward to having something for you guys in the coming weeks / months.

#11 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 08 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi all! I'm currently in the early stages of developing the companion app. I will possibly have something to show to you all late next week.

Until then, peace

#12 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 08:25 AM

need a hand ill oblige, i cant spell but i can make low quality but giterdone whatever stuff
(i mean codewise, i cant art)

Edited by MechFighter5e3bf9, August 08 2014 - 08:40 AM.

i don't mean any of it

#13 CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostPsyphormer, on August 04 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

It would be also nice if I can incorporate the colour scheme you see on this site and some artwork. I may have to email the developers of Hawken to make sure I'm not breaking any rules. Obviously, if I can do this, I will also add into the app that I don't own the artwork etc associated with Hawken,

Check out the fansite kit they have here if you need artwork.

#14 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 08 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostMechFighter5e3bf9, on August 08 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

need a hand ill oblige, i cant spell but i can make low quality but giterdone whatever stuff
(i mean codewise, i cant art)

Thanks!!! I will setup a Git repo soon and commit what I've done. Currently working on the login page atm, trying to make things look nice :-D. I'm quite busy atm with other projects, but I won't let this slip

#15 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 08 2014 - 10:00 AM

What do people think of the login screen_ Honesty please ^_^. Will upload a picture in a sec

Edited by Psyphormer, August 08 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#16 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 08 2014 - 10:04 AM

Posted Image

Would you guys like me to add a remember me feature so you don't have to keep entering your details_

#17 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted August 08 2014 - 10:19 AM

You might be a nice guy and yadda yadda but this might be a scam.

@Everyone: Think twice before entering your login details into some stranger's app! He might be able to login to your Hawken account and change the pw, email etc.

#18 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted August 08 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostReEvolve, on August 08 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

@Everyone: Think twice before entering your login details into some stranger's app! He might be able to login to your Hawken account and change the pw, email etc.

This is why I never made any of the projects I wanted to that required full access to a person's account. Giving away your account info is a Bad Idea ™.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#19 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 08 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostPsyphormer, on August 08 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

Posted Image

Would you guys like me to add a remember me feature so you don't have to keep entering your details_

It could be handy for folks. Honestly, I could go either way, since "Remember Me" makes my brain lazy and I'll eventually forget my password. :/

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#20 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 08 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostReEvolve, on August 08 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

You might be a nice guy and yadda yadda but this might be a scam.

I totally agree, as I would be thinking the same thing. Hence, why I'm releasing it under the open source licence, so you can see the code I've written for yourself.

***Btw I've added the password reset functionality. The app is coming along well. I will keep you all posted

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users