HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Android application for Hawken

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 12:45 PM

I can see why everyone would be sketchy of this idea... you could possibly get the dev's onboard and make sure your code meet's their expectations and allow them to release it as a free app. That way you can eliminate the distrust of being a "stranger" in the forums and become better known and trusted. Though you are releasing it in an open sourse format, I'm sure that there's enough people who don't know what to look for in code to pinpoint what is/isnt safe/trustworthy. I do like the idea and would love to even see a "scoreboard' of types from in game matches implemented as a live feed among other things.
Posted Image
Finally broke past a 1.0k/d @ a 2.5 on 08/04/14 with 10K 4D 6A !YAY!
My custom hawken game chair build

#22 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 09 2014 - 02:05 PM

I would love to a scoreboard actually! Nice idea. Unless the developers allow use to view scoreboard on the Hawken website, I won't be able to do much here. I doubt they would publish this either.

Edited by Psyphormer, August 09 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#23 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 11 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hi all. A quick update. The app now send out an password reset email for resetting your credentials and the login screen now authenticates with the Hawken server and obtains a unique session id. I will add the "Remember Password" functionality once I've done enough reading about storing encrypted details on Android devices. Looking good so far.

I've had an idea too. What if I was able to add the IRC chat functionality inside the app_ This may require some work, but I think it would be sweet to add this. Post away and let me know. I spending more time making this app than playing the actual game :-D.

Peace

#24 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted August 11 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostPsyphormer, on August 08 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

I totally agree, as I would be thinking the same thing. Hence, why I'm releasing it under the open source licence, so you can see the code I've written for yourself.

What is the guarantee that the code that you release on some website as open source is the same code that you published to the respective app store_ Also: Not everyone knows about developing Android apps or Java in general so who would confirm that there aren't any malicious fuctions hidden in your code_

View Postd3dreaper, on August 08 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

you could possibly get the dev's onboard and make sure your code meet's their expectations and allow them to release it as a free app.

Err, sorry to burst your bubble but just because someone is able to develop a game on a certain engine it doesn't mean that this person is able to read code of all programming languages and knows about application development for mobile platforms. So, you see, the devs might not even have someone who could confirm that the app is compeletely harmless. Also: the devs seem to be super busy these days. What makes you think they would have the time to spare to look at the complete code of some stranger's app_

I'm sure that there's enough people who don't know what to look for in code to pinpoint what is/isnt safe/trustworthy.

Yeah, no. Surely there are some people who have knowledge of Android app development but there aren't lots of 'em. Also: Who says that these people are trustworthy either_ Maybe those are also just friends or smurfs of the creator of the app_

@Psyphormer:
Do you even have the permission to create an app that accesses Hawken account information and uses the forum etc_ Did you get permission to use the name of the game ("HAWKEN") and/or it's logo etc in some way in your app_ Did you actually tend to any legal matters_

Some dude released a "mech builder" app that used some art from the game some time ago and didn't ask for permission either. Afaik the devs might have to consult their legal team about that case ([Edited to avoid misunderstandings]). Did you make sure that the same thing can't happen to you_ Is there any proof that your app is actually legal_

#25 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:05 AM

I won't be publishing this on the store at all. I will also ask for permission before I use any of the artwork too. I will be releasing the APK on GitHub too.

Btw the information the app uses is the same information returned by the server. I'm in no way altering or accessing things that I shouldn't be. Either way, If I cannot publish this due to legal reasons, I will use the app for personal use and for job interviews.

#26 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostReEvolve, on August 11 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Did you make sure that the same thing can't happen to you_ Is there any proof that your app is actually legal_

I can only do so much. Anyway what's wrong with doing what I'm doing_ I won't be making money off this at all. Plus, about the legal part. I live in the UK and the UK won't extradite one of their own because of an Android app.lol

#27 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostPsyphormer, on August 11 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Did you make sure that the same thing can't happen to you_ Is there any proof that your app is actually legal_

I can only do so much.

How about "asking for permission before you create the app"_ That seems like a no-brainer to me. :P

Anyway, I know I can't tell you what to do. I just hope that you decide for yourself to do it in a proper way.

#28 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:37 AM

you could possibly get the dev's onboard and make sure your code meet's their expectations and allow them to release it as a free app.

Err, sorry to burst your bubble but just because someone is able to develop a game on a certain engine it doesn't mean that this person is able to read code of all programming languages and knows about application development for mobile platforms. So, you see, the devs might not even have someone who could confirm that the app is compeletely harmless. Also: the devs seem to be super busy these days. What makes you think they would have the time to spare to look at the complete code of some stranger's app_

My point was that it wouldn't hurt to ask if they'd be willing to check it out or approve of it if they were able to...

I'm sure that there's *not* enough people who don't know what to look for in code to pinpoint what is/isnt safe/trustworthy.

Yeah, no. Surely there are some people who have knowledge of Android app development but there aren't lots of 'em. Also: Who says that these people are trustworthy either_ Maybe those are also just friends or smurfs of the creator of the app_

I fixed the dumb to what i originally intended... That there is not enough people that know how to read code to ensure that it is safe... i did the bad words of meaning stuff in things...

Also... how is it that so many people trust apps in the app stores right now yet the users don't have any hard evidence theyre safe... At least attempting to get approval shows to an extent that there isnt malicious intention...

and psyphormer... ReEvolve is trying to help show you that there can be legal issues bound as a result of using name and likeness.. doesnt mean that just because the UK won't extradite you that it's ok to undermine them because then you'll end up with a negative name for yourself.... Stay humble about the position you are in utilizing anothers name/likeness and you will gain more respect than just sayin "well i'm going to do it anyways without trying to get approval"(not saying those are the words out of your mouth but the way things are going it seems a possibilty you may end up going that route)...

ReEvovle: there is an app right now in the google store that is an active wallpaper as wee speak that isn't by nvidia or meteor/adhesive just as an fyi

<Edit> YAY DEBATES! as long as everyone keeps a level head this can be very productive and informative to others that may want to develop an app around hawken...

Edited by d3dreaper, August 11 2014 - 09:39 AM.

Posted Image

#29 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 11 2014 - 09:57 AM

View Postd3dreaper, on August 11 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

Also... how is it that so many people trust apps in the app stores right now yet the users don't have any hard evidence theyre safe... At least attempting to get approval shows to an extent that there isnt malicious intention...

Thanks!! I've wondered this aswell. I've got a custom android on all of my devices (Cynaogenmod). I ran the Linux utility tcpdump and all I can say, I was surprised to come across how much information about your device gets transmitted. I even had an app that was transmitting my IMEI number for my phone (I forgot was it was called). Scary stuff. I do believe that people should have access to code to insure it doesn't infringe on their privacy (I'm kindof a privacy freak :-D) and it isn't doing something malicious. I was working for a company that insisted on using a advertising library to montor their app usage for iOS + Android devices. Luckly, I wasn't working on that project

#30 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 11 2014 - 10:37 AM

A little status update:

The app is now able to login, obtain a session id, and use this session id to access the parts of this site you would normally see when you've logged in using your browser.

I'm kindof tired now :-D. I've had a day off work and I'm working on this. Gonna chill now.

#31 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 13 2014 - 09:47 AM

Hi all.

Status update:
  • The user is now able to view their profile.
  • A loading message shows the current status.

Picture here:
Posted Image

Please ignore the way it looks. I will sort this out later. I just want the functionality in first

#32 d3dreaper

d3dreaper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 09:55 AM

Rich bastard..... 10k MC.... lol
Posted Image

#33 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 10:05 AM

Great idea!
If Hawken survives this app could also be used to keep people posted on scores like a scorebox if clan support or championships ever happen.

keep up the great work!

Post a link to your app in the opening post too!

#34 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 13 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on August 13 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

Great idea!
If Hawken survives this app could also be used to keep people posted on scores like a scorebox if clan support or championships ever happen.

keep up the great work!

Post a link to your app in the opening post too!

Thanks alot!!! I would love to have a live scoreboard in the app!!! I hope to have a initial release of the app later this month. The app is keeping me busy too :-D. I'm working on this more than I am playing Hawken and other games.

Oh, if anybody has excellent ideas for the look of the app (theme, icon, UI etc) please let me know. If we all like it, I will add this in the app aswell as giving you a shout out in the About Section of the app. I'm really fuzzy bunny at UI design XD

#35 SatelliteJack

SatelliteJack

Spaceman

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationDropped on Illal

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostPsyphormer, on August 13 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Oh, if anybody has excellent ideas for the look of the app (theme, icon, UI etc) please let me know. If we all like it, I will add this in the app aswell as giving you a shout out in the About Section of the app. I'm really fuzzy bunny at UI design XD

Well, I wouldn't say "excellent ideas," but I do have a few marbles rollin' around between my ears, so I'll see if I can sketch up somethin' pretty. ;D

Posted Image

To be chill, drink warm tea. You paradoxical madman. -TwentyFirstPilot

#36 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 14 2014 - 01:13 AM

Any help with the way it looks would be greatly appreciated.

#37 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 14 2014 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

A little update:
  • Introduced fragments into the UI
  • Code cleaning
  • Navigation drawer which allows you to select various parts of the application.
  • Only certain action bar items (top of the app, them three vertical dots) appear based on what;s currently on show
As usual, ignore the look XD. Doesn't look much, but the code itself is much easier to add stuff

#38 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 14 2014 - 12:19 PM

Oh, them items also include categories i.e 'Game Guide' you won't be able to select 'Game Guide' but you will able to select its items, such as mech, weapons etc, much like the website.

#39 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 16 2014 - 12:49 AM

What do you guys think of me adding an offline feature so you can still browse content that you've previously viewed online (a cached version). I know that many people might not internet access 24/7. If you guys think this is cool, I will add this later

#40 Psyphormer

Psyphormer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted August 16 2014 - 10:02 AM

Got this in now, a nice drop down menu for the various categories that I will be adding etc:

Posted Image

I will work on these in order too :-D

Edited by Psyphormer, August 16 2014 - 10:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users