• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

There are quite a few threads around saying that sustained-fire/assault is OP, etc. On the other hand there's new players who won't last a day in this game. It's a double edged sword as if "noobs are buffed", then "pros cry" and vice versa. I propose a few new mechanics to encourage new pilots.

These are just suggestions, some may not be realistic or even implementable.

Expiring internals

Give new pilots buffing internals to the assault. Give more armor, fuel, etc. The catch is that they are "off-world-tech" or something and stop working after a while. This should be linked to either mech rank or pilot level. Give 'em time to catch the train.

Example items

Items that overdrive pilot controls for a while and performs a preset manouvre with the mech while displaying on HUD how it's made. Maybe these should be restricted to bot-matches.

Mentor mk. I

Veteran pilots give (maybe private) advice to fresh pilots, they give feedback (good advice / bad advice / irrelevant / harasment), mentor/both get (HC/XP).

Mentor mk. II

Bit like above, but both pilots are bound to use only one mech (, the recruits mech to be precise). They take turns in piloting, mentor gives examples and advice, recruit fails and get's feedback. Recruit learns, mentor/both get('s) HC/XP. Mentor of course needs a time/kill limit on his play :tongue:

Boot camp

Combination of both mentor variants, enclosed in very small servers. Maybe TDM with skilled team leaders trying to make their noob teams win. Team leader get's to select mechs and weapons for the team from test drive mechs.

Team work tools

These should be a general addition/restoration. Old map function back, set focus points, set enemy pilots/mechs as high priority, set general "sticky chat messages" as objectives. Priority targets should have short explanations why it's important (kill the tech -> incin falls). Maybe would reguire "a-hole" vs "team player" ranking to determine who can set these...

Fix voip

To talk and stuff.

Game mechanic changes

The skill ceiling for this game is already quite high and some people would like to see it even higher. Back when I started playing this game in december 2012, I think learning involved learning things and tactics like "you fly, you die", "manage your heat", "don't face C-classes face-to-face", "short controlled bursts", "you can explode tows in midair", "boosting shows you on radar", etc. Now I feel learning involves just a few of those things and more things like "you should be faster", "if your aim isn't 100% of the time on target, you lose", etc. Maybe it's just my butthurt, maybe not. Anyway, I would like to see some old mechanics back like fuel usage of dodging, longer overheats, i.e. things that made people more careful.

These are just my thoughts. Some of these can made useless by watching youtube, going to forums, etc. but still, I think it would encourage teamplay and promote community on a totally different level. Feedback welcome.

• KilleR_OrigiNs likes this

"The vectors... The vectors are all wrong!" -Bum

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

No point in buffing new players mechs as they have to play against the same lvl in the first place. And if they are that good they will have no problem getting internals and stuff.

(P:B)Augmentia

(P:B)Augmentia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I love the direction you are going with this. I don't think the mentor think could be used, as it would be abused. Boot camps could come into play. I would love it if someone rented out a server for a boot camp and kept it running, that could work. Team work tools need to be implemented. Anything that has to do with the mentoring or bootcamp would have to be something someone does themselves.

I am MM
brKc5dA.jpg

Tankman95

Tankman95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

No point in buffing new players mechs as they have to play against the same lvl in the first place. And if they are that good they will have no problem getting internals and stuff.

^This

And we do have the "Pilot's Initiative". This are communiy driven training sessions.

"I loved Battlestar Galactica. Chewbacca was my favorite Klingon in it."

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Point taken. That's why i proposed they would be expirable. Around levels 5-10 you would habe an ordinary assault. Armor buff would just increase TTK a bit in noob match, but not affect high tier game anyway, BUT it would balance noob vs "not-so-noob" game. With these assault could be nerfed a bit.

And we do have the "Pilot's Initiative". This are communiy driven training sessions.

Great, I didn't know about this. You just have to be aware of this. I also think my proposed mechanics would offer similar to wider audience.

Written with phone. sry.

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 09:54 PM.

Maxunarul

Maxunarul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Maybe the devs should take an emblem "Mentor" when there are players that need councils to be identified in full play and then the can search the forums. 

The same forum should have an option to put a logo "mentor" in each player's turn and he wants to teach new. Maybe every pilot who is enrolled as a mentor on the subject that have created should create a unique signature so new could know who are mentors, regardless if they see any issue.

Edited by Maxunarul, 23 April 2015 - 09:32 PM.

6_1.jpg

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Great feedback Killer_Origins, although I would hate to see anything in the game to be better just because your enemy is better. Underdog bonus is fine tho :p

And Max, it think too that mentors should be displayed somehow. And mentors might have specialities for certain mechs, gamemodes, weapons, etc.

And when talking about mentors, I think access to mentor tools should be controlled somehow because of possible abuse. And good players may be poor mentors, just like in sports, best couches aren't always the best athletes.

Coming back to the mentor mk. II, I think it would give recruits tons of inspiration to see a veteran piloting their very own mech and perform miracles with it. Would cut some whining about OP things down.

Posted with phone, sry.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
I really like the mentor stuff XD

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

hammockman22

hammockman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Pelanthoris, I like the idea of Mk II as the Recruit in the right hands can do some work, but how would this be implemented? Something similar to a Fightclub server with 1v1 or standard TDM with limited team sizes so that there's less confusion maybe 3v3? Definitely a private server of sorts.... I am contemplating pooling some funds together to get a private server and would love to do this if possible, anything to prove to newcomers that each mech has its advantages and disadvantages including the Recruit.

Is this something that could be brought to the attention of new folk and is it something that they would be interested in?

Also, Tankman95, I checked out the Pilot's Initiative and it appears that that training has ended do to low turnout... 

Edited by hammockman22, 26 April 2015 - 08:14 AM.

• KilleR_OrigiNs likes this

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

but how would this be implemented?

I'm not sure if my original post was clear enough, so for mentor mk2:
With some preset mechanic the "pro" gets a tag "recruit mentor". Noob is in a match (possibly with the pro) and calls for mentoring (either a general "get help" button or direct question for certain pro). Pro accepts to help the recruit. Whatever the pro was doing, stops. Pro gets 1st perspective view in the recruits mech and private chat between them. Recruit does stupid things and dies. Now the pro gets to pilot the same mech and recruit watches. Recruit sees how his mech can perform in right hands -> inspiration to get better -> profit.

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 09:54 PM.

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Thoughts on mentor:

Spoiler

I'd like to see mentors in actual game situations instead of private servers, because private servers always leave some players of the grid. You are also right, the balance must be maintained somehow. I see one the following might work:

• Mentors must be summoned in pairs. One for each team. Single mentors wait in queue.
  • Mentor get's summoned only to underdog team. Measured by team mmr or game situation.

Also, as stated before, mentors would have some sort of kill switches. Based on total time, number of kills or a short timer after a kill. And stuff that happens during mentoring, shouldn't affect mmr, at least for the mentor.

Thoughts on internals:

Spoiler

It might work, if they were active only on major difference of mmr. I still think they are confusing for new players.

Edited by Pelanthoris, 27 April 2015 - 05:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noob, mentor, internal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users