* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Since there will be more and more tournaments in Hawken coming up, it seemed appropriate to release some data on how match outcomes by team and map.  For the bookies amongst us, you may be able to adjust your payouts and odds with this data ;)

This is a dashboard I've made that refreshes with new data over time, so we can see what happens when updates are released.

Does the Bazaar (aka "Sahara") map really put one team at a big disadvantage?

Here's the overall for the past few months, and yes these numbers are pretty stable over time:

G2o4kVo.png

That's interesting and all, but what does it look like when you break it all down by avg MMR range (darker colors indicate more matches).  :

so7TDrA.png

I'm told this sort of data has never been released before.  Well, I suppose we'll find out how productive it really is ;)

-capnjosh

• Guns_N_Rozer, LarryLaffer, SandSpider2 and 7 others like this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Very interesting...

WTF is going on at 1200 MMR?

Edited by Hyginos, 27 May 2015 - 02:09 PM.

• CrimsonKaim likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hard to consider the significance when you don't know which spawn is team 0 and which spawn is team 1.

Shadeness

Shadeness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
What game mode is this data from? All of them?

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
This statement was removed due to conclusions jumping.

Edited by {TDM} coldform, 28 May 2015 - 07:29 AM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Hard to consider the significance when you don't know which spawn is team 0 and which spawn is team 1.

It helps address the top-level question: "Is there truly a problem and how bad is it?"  After that you can drill down more.

• brackets likes this

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Very interesting...

Its all dem smerfs yo.

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

The heavily skewed maps at 1200 flip winning side for 1300 and 1400.... Is there any chance mm has something to do with this? 

Also, other than Sahara what do the code names correspond to?

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 27 May 2015 - 02:16 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

What game mode is this data from? All of them?

Yes, it's all the game modes.  When I was pulling in game mode data the visuals started to get pretty dense.  Here's by game mode and map.

IMzUDYs.png

But really, you'd want to see it additionally broken down by MMR range:

bcjJqXj.png

• Guns_N_Rozer, Anichkov3 and PepeKenobi like this

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Very interesting...

New users are losing 3 out of 4 matches.  That's what seems to be going on ;)

americanbrit14

americanbrit14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

The heavily skewed maps at 1200 flip winning side for 1300 and 1400.... Is there any chance mm has something to do with this? 

Also, other than Sahara what do the code names correspond to?

umm, lets see, i know Valkirie is front line. alleys i'm guessing is prosk, titan and andromeda... no clue

they have to be uptown and origin, but which is which?

Edited by americanbrit14, 27 May 2015 - 02:21 PM.

VfuS0qE.png?1

contracted by 

??

INDUSTRY

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I was surprised to see that Facility was the least balanced map by a large amount. I thought it was one of the better balanced maps -- and it's pretty damn symmetrical

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

The heavily skewed win/loss stuff at the low MMRs seems to be due to the winning team having one or more players with outlier numbers of kills (and with the "correct" MMR".  There is no way the MatchMaker can tell which 1250MMR player is actually really good.  It really just implies we need to get some more aggressive mid-match balance code that acts based on "real-world" performance within the match.  That seems to be where the opportunities lie.

• gArphEus, PepeKenobi and Zuurkern like this

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

umm, lets see, i know Valkirie is front line. alleys i'm guessing is prosk, titan and andromeda... no clue

Welcome to the tip of the iceberg of when analytics becomes hard - mapping and remapping names, codes... then imagine when they change meanings over time, and then logging formatting changes as well ;)

It's no excuse though... I wanted to get *something* out there to chew on.  We can then pick what seems to be an outlier and then zoom in on that.

• PepeKenobi likes this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Can we get some context as to what number is what game mode, and 1 or 0 for prosk or sentium?

The heavily skewed win/loss stuff at the low MMRs seems to be due to the winning team having one or more players with outlier numbers of kills (and with the "correct" MMR".  There is no way the MatchMaker can tell which 1250MMR player is actually really good.  It really just implies we need to get some more aggressive mid-match balance code that acts based on "real-world" performance within the match.  That seems to be where the opportunities lie.

In theory shouldn't the win percentage still a lot closer? Why does the anomaly keep ending up on the same team?

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 27 May 2015 - 02:29 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Titan is Origin

Andromeda is Prosk

Alleys is Uptown

Edited by (KDR) Dr_Freeze001, 27 May 2015 - 02:28 PM.

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

hestoned

hestoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Andromeda = prosk
Titan = origin
alleys = uptown
Valkirie = frontline
  • crockrocket likes this

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

In theory shouldn't the win percentage still a lot closer? Why does the anomaly keep ending up on the same team?

That's a good point.  It may take a deep dive into exactly how the game server assigns which team is 1 and which is 0.  And, could that indicate something about how it attempts to auto-balance teams during the match?  For that matter, could it indicate some predictability with how it assigns teams?  Sounds like we have some very specific questions to answer there.

• crockrocket, PepeKenobi and kasei like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

That's a good point.  It may take a deep dive into exactly how the game server assigns which team is 1 and which is 0.  And, could that indicate something about how it attempts to auto-balance teams during the match?  For that matter, could it indicate some predictability with how it assigns teams?  Sounds like we have some very specific questions to answer there.

That's exactly what I was wondering :)

EDIT: Wait so you're saying that 1 or 0 doesn't indicate a specific team spawn? Like team 1 could be assigned either team as far as what we see on our end?

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 27 May 2015 - 02:36 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Mode 11 is where we see the massive gap between team-0 and team-1 on lower average MMR games -- and in fact only maps which have this mode have such a massive gap in low-mmr team performance. Is mode 11 bots-tdm? It has the same maps I believe; then the problem is simply that low-MMR bots are too strong.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Can we get some context as to what number is what game mode, and 1 or 0 for prosk or sentium?

Quoting for which team = which number info plz

EDIT: on close examination, here are the game mode types

0 - SG
2 - TDM
4 - MA
7 - Bot Destruction
11 - BotsTDM

Edited by Amidatelion, 27 May 2015 - 02:49 PM.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Mode 11 is where we see the massive gap between team-0 and team-1 on lower average MMR games -- and in fact only maps which have this mode have such a massive gap in low-mmr team performance. Is mode 11 bots-tdm? It has the same maps I believe; then the problem is simply that low-MMR bots are too strong.

That's botstdm. Look at the map rotation.

Ditto for 7, its bot destruction, hence the 100% win rate.

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

That's exactly what I was wondering :)

EDIT: Wait so you're saying that 1 or 0 doesn't indicate a specific team spawn? Like team 1 could be assigned either team as far as what we see on our end?

Here's what I found in an old analytics DB.  I'll be adding this lookup table for use in future runs:

Id Name

0 R_Siege

1 R_Deathmatch

2 R_TeamDeathmatch

3 UNUSED

4 R_MissileAssault

5 R_HordeMode

6 (UNUSED)

7 R_Coop

8 R_Ctf

9 any

10 HawkenTR

11 R_BotsTDM

• crockrocket and PepeKenobi like this

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

That's botstdm. Look at the map rotation.

Ditto for 7, its bot destruction, hence the 100% win rate.

So confirmed -- the peculiar behaviour at 1200 MMR is due to OP bots; bots-tdm is most prevalent with low MMR players, and 1300+ MMR players have developed the skills necessary to defeat them (even as they get harder as your MMR increases).

Edited by brackets, 27 May 2015 - 02:42 PM.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

4 siege 0 MA? My guess from looking at the rotation. And 2 is tdm

Ninja'd

Hmm #5 and #8. HawkenTR? 

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 27 May 2015 - 02:43 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Removing things like Coop and BotsTDM, here's what comes out (and adding friendly names in):

VWP1feR.png

• brackets and PepeKenobi like this

brackets

brackets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I think you want to filter coop bot destruction and bots TDM out of the data, because they skew the results especially at low MMRs.

[edit] Hey you did this already!

Edited by brackets, 27 May 2015 - 02:48 PM.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

So...

if a veteran were smurfing, the balancer shouldn't place them on the same team every match, unless the balancer uses some sort of algorithm based on callsign.  I would expect that it would be completely random as to which team was assigned.

However, I thave a feeling I think I know whats going on, PARTIES.  If two veterans smurf, and join a party, I'll bet the balancer always places that party on the same team, and then tries to figure out what to do with the rest of the players.  Its why at the start of a match when theres a party in the lobby, you see the scoreboard freak out and move players around numerous times, until it finds something valid.

The question is, do you have data from the time when parties did not exist to compare the two scenarios?

• DieselCat and PepeKenobi like this

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

It's something to confirm of course, but I was thinking more along the lines of "does the game server consistently place the highest MMR player on one team, so does that indicate some predictability in the outcome).

• comic_sans and PepeKenobi like this

?FTD? eXeon

?FTD? eXeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

8 R_Ctf

Tell me more please

• Miscellaneous and _incitatus like this

Fix The Delay

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

It's something to confirm of course, but I was thinking more along the lines of "does the game server consistently place the highest MMR player on one team, so does that indicate some predictability in the outcome).

I meant, do these particular 1's and 0's have a correspondence to which spawn. For example, in Bazaar, can team 1 (after mm creates team 1) be assigned to either high or low spawn, or is 1 always high spawn. If the 1/0 corresponds to a specific spawn, it could be possible the issue lies with map balance rather than mm.

I see what your saying though, and if that is the case I guess it doesn't matter if the teams are tied to spawn or not.

JgQjgkx.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

So...

if a veteran were smurfing, the balancer shouldn't place them on the same team every match, unless the balancer uses some sort of algorithm based on callsign.  I would expect that it would be completely random as to which team was assigned.

However, I thave a feeling I think I know whats going on, PARTIES.  If two veterans smurf, and join a party, I'll bet the balancer always places that party on the same team, and then tries to figure out what to do with the rest of the players.  Its why at the start of a match when theres a party in the lobby, you see the scoreboard freak out and move players around numerous times, until it finds something valid.

The question is, do you have data from the time when parties did not exist to compare the two scenarios?

I actually thought this myself a while back and kept an eye out for people I knew were partied. The matchmaker did seem to prefer placing a given party on Sentium, but it wasn't 100%. Over the course of 7 games, it went to Sentium 6 times. Not sure what happened on the off one and clearly more data is required.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Its why at the start of a match when theres a party in the lobby, you see the scoreboard freak out and move players around numerous times, until it finds something valid.

That little pre-match freak out may also be indicative of where it tends to place the highest player, even when not partied. 

• comic_sans likes this

JgQjgkx.png

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Tell me more please

capture the flag....  internal map code name rogue.  first team to score 3 points wins, 20 minute long match.  I don't know how far it was in production but it was fairly close from the last time I heard about it.

[DELETED]

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

So...

I rechecked the logs to confirm - there's nothing that tags users as being in a common party.  It appears we'll have to add that.

• PepeKenobi likes this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

We could probably do some tests on the ts. Maybe throw a 2600+ in with is in a sub 2k lobby for a full map rotation or two and see if there's a trend. Same with parties.

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 27 May 2015 - 02:59 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

I meant, do these particular 1's and 0's have a correspondence to which spawn. For example, in Bazaar, can team 1 (after mm creates team 1) be assigned to either high or low spawn, or is 1 always high spawn. If the 1/0 corresponds to a specific spawn, it could be possible the issue lies with map balance rather than mm.

I see what your saying though, and if that is the case I guess it doesn't matter if the teams are tied to spawn or not.

I expect the 1s and 0s are consistent team numbers that can predict spawn locations - that's how I would have done it; however, if they happened to start out with a random number generator or something when initializing the map.... It's on the "to be cofirmed list".  Yay for uncertainties.

• crockrocket and PepeKenobi like this

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I'm surprised at how lopsided some of the uniform maps like wreckage and origin on missile assault at higher mmrs. These are average mmrs of the match correct? Something tells me these get a bit skewed because it's attempting to balance an odd amount of players more often. Is this data pulled since you made the mmr threshold changes or from the past year or so? Does this also include private servers?

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I'm surprised at how lopsided some of the uniform maps like wreckage and origin on missile assault at higher mmrs. These are average mmrs of the match correct? Something tells me these get a bit skewed because it's attempting to balance an odd amount of players more often. Is this data pulled since you made the mmr threshold changes or from the past year or so? Does this also include private servers?

This has to go a ways back - Bazaar Siege is on there.

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

That little pre-match freak out may also be indicative of where it tends to place the highest player, even when not partied. 

I don't think so, mostly because when there are no parties present the scoreboard doesn't freak out multiple times moving people around.

This has to go a ways back - Bazaar Siege is on there.

Not exactly, some private servers have enabled that map for siege, like Charcoals.  I've played it a few times lately.

[DELETED]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users