• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Can some of the top end players come together and run a "classroom" to teach Hawken to anyone willing to learn?

We all know there are player retention problems, perhaps if players could be taught by "experts" and improve their game skills hands on style so they could return to playing in pub matches and apply the new skills, see nearly instant results, it would help keep some, new and not so new players, around longer and more often.

The details I leave to this fine community...

Before you point out all the tutorials and so forth, those aren't the same as being taught first hand.

TO FIND AVAILABLE SERVERS CHECK THE LAST PAGE OF THIS THREAD!

Edited by thirtysix, 16 September 2015 - 01:12 PM.

• crockrocket, LarryLaffer, Drrt4 and 3 others like this

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Core I7 950, Dual EVGA 580Ti, 16Gb G.Skill Sniper, 240Gb PNY SSD, Walmart mic :P~

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

i think this is a really good idea if we could find a way to efficiently direct new players to the practices as well as some talented players to give some tips and tricks, and show how they help.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I can. I've taught plenty of new players, so I'd be pretty comfortable doing this(2500 mmr, ranked 41st).

Unfortunately we'd need to find someone to host the server, but that shouldn't be hard.

• HHJFTRU likes this

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

There are many private server owners who'd be more than happy to allow you to use their server for such a purpose.

• crockrocket, eth0, thirtysix and 2 others like this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I've been meaning to do this on one of the private servers in Oceania. I just made myself a second account for this reason

1v1 scrims with feedback make it easier for new pilots to work out why they may not be doing well in other matches.

Better with voice, but not impossible with typing.

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
I'm willing to help 2100+ players on the BATPANDA server in Europe. I've no idea how to help most players below that.
EDIT: Bad Wi-Fi together with my new schedule makes me unable to play.

1v1 scrims with feedback make it easier for new pilots to work out why they may not be doing well in other matches.

It helps people higher up the ladder as well - they usually can't figure out what they're doing wrong by themself.
Dodging left 90% of the time, always walking in the same direction, etc.

Edited by (KDR) Meraple, 31 August 2015 - 11:44 PM.

Shoutaxeror

Shoutaxeror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Dodging left 90% of the time ? Really ? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE ??? Don't believe this man

• Meraple and n3onfx like this

KkaQ7HY.png

SaYxVQp.pngWgWPdMp.png

KDR Veteran | PrT Participant

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!! PM ME

• crockrocket likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

This was started up multiple times in EU and NA, and the reason it stopped on both sides was not enough people were interested, dropped out, or couldn't make the times that the trainer could.

If Merl is willing to start this up again, more power to him.

But those of you interested in it need to show up.

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Sure. $20.00/hr.

• crockrocket, Aregon, Drrt4 and 1 other like this

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Dodging left 90% of the time

Wow really? Who would even do that...

>_>

<_<

• DerMax, Shoutaxeror and HepTagoN like this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Well I thought this could be a permanent thing... the private server owner would rename the server to something reflecting it's purpose, set the parms appropriately and it could be manned by volunteers from our community. We all love the game, a small sacrifice of time whenever you can isn't so much to ask. For the server owner, talk with Reloaded... make a deal (it's for their benefit as well). And it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy bunny inside :)

We've all seen the questions new pilots ask, how do I heal, what's the best mech, how can I beat this or that mech, they don't respond well to my answer which is watch SoldierHobbes11 on youtube or check the forum for tutorials.

Edited by thirtysix, 30 August 2015 - 01:49 PM.

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Core I7 950, Dual EVGA 580Ti, 16Gb G.Skill Sniper, 240Gb PNY SSD, Walmart mic :P~

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Well I thought this could be a permanent thing... the private server owner would rename the server to something reflecting it's purpose, set the parms appropriately and it could be manned by volunteers from our community. We all love the game, a small sacrifice of time whenever you can isn't so much to ask. For the server owner, talk with Reloaded... make a deal (it's for their benefit as well). And it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy bunny inside :)

We've all seen the questions new pilots ask, how do I heal, what's the best mech, how can I beat this or that mech, they don't respond well to my answer which is watch SoldierHobbes11 on youtube or check the forum for tutorials.

Yeah, that's a cool idea, but when would the volunteer trainers show? When would the trainees show? Who's doing the scheduling? Is this NA or EU? Whose server is going to be used? How would trainees know to show in a given server? Reloaded might give us a hot tile to start with, but I doubt there will be a permanent one. 

And no offense, but fuzzy feelings inside only happen when something gets accomplished. I am no stranger to helping scrubs and putting in the time, but if I have to show up to another poorly planned event only to have no one else do so, that will pretty much be it for my involvement with this community.

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

I approve this message.

I still don't know how to dodge move well.
Or use the damn heat cannon.
Etc.

In general, there is stuff I'm unlikely to ever get the grasp of on my own unless someone is like, "No, stupidhead, this is how you do it."

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I've been meaning to do this on one of the private servers in Oceania. I just made myself a second account for this reason

Better with voice, but not impossible with typing.

There is a team speak for Hawken players, can someone fill in the blanks for me :)

If the TS owner was asked nicely, perhaps they would help out.

Edited by thirtysix, 30 August 2015 - 06:48 PM.

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Yeah, that's a cool idea, but when would the volunteer trainers show? When would the trainees show? Who's doing the scheduling? Is this NA or EU? Whose server is going to be used? How would trainees know to show in a given server? Reloaded might give us a hot tile to start with, but I doubt there will be a permanent one. 

And no offense, but fuzzy feelings inside only happen when something gets accomplished. I am no stranger to helping scrubs and putting in the time, but if I have to show up to another poorly planned event only to have no one else do so, that will pretty much be it for my involvement with this community.

All good questions, and I think we could work this all out in the forum/this thread and private messages. Since it's really all volunteer... BYOB, if your there your there, if your not it's all good. Ain't no money in it, the pay off, if you will, is keeping this game alive, bring/keep more players and make things a bit more competitive. IDK bout you but playing the same ppl day in and day out is getting old. I don't have all the answers but have seen what we as a community can do collectively.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Dodging left 90% of the time

I've heard that I have a tendency to this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

There is a team speak for Hawken players, can someone fill in the blanks for me :)

If the TS owner was asked nicely, perhaps they would help out.

We'll do whatever we can to help such a cause, so long as it doesn't interrupt our binge drinking and drug dependencies.

• LarryLaffer, OdinTheWise and DeeRax like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Dodging left 90% of the time, always walking in the same direction, etc.

I dont think I do this.

I think I subconsciously dodge to whichever side has a fuzzy bunny obstacle in my way.

>:(

I have my goods days where I can outplay 1800-2K MMR pilots.

I equally have my bad days where I just plain forget to watch radar, use my ability and items and get hung op on every wall.

I am happy to play in a mentor server and do scrims and then explain what technique I use or what habit I notice they have.

I equally like playing the 2K+ MMR players that stretch my skills to the limit so I can practice the skills needed to survive in high MMR matches.

Moeaswordusrex

Moeaswordusrex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
You get my vote. I suck.

Damn it seth!

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I don't know any of the private server owners, can some hook us up or point me in the right direction?

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Probably by lowering the required minimum pilots number to launch a DM game to 2 players instead might help too..

P.S. * What's the actual minimum requirement to launch one? ..

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Probably by lowering the required minimum pilots number to launch a DM game to 2 players instead might help too..

P.S. * What's the actual minimum requirement to launch one? ..

• The_Silencer likes this

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I don't think DM is such a great place to have class. MA or Siege, they have no time limit. From the couple of matches I've played on privates, the admin was able to set just about any parm they wanted... including giving players stupid huge amounts of health.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Private are better, but a quiet DM server is not the worst place. If someone else enters you tell them you are mentoring and they help or you quit the match and swap to another DM.
  • thirtysix likes this

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

We'll do whatever we can to help such a cause, so long as it doesn't interrupt our binge drinking and drug dependencies.

You sir state the obvious :)

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Lot's of positive comments, yet to see any follow through.

Message me if you can help!

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
I played 1v1 last night with a returning player.

He helped me with scout which is my newest least used mech, I helped get him re-accustomed to the game he was losing love for. Perhaps he won't give up on Hawken.

If there are new players in Oceanic then add 6ixxer in Hawken and steam. We need more mid level players to stick around rather than feeling like they are just cannon fodder for veterans.

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Training servers would be nice indeed. I know it's not happening in the foreseeable future, but if reloaded could spend the time and give the trainers some kind of status, it would be awesome if noobs could see on the main menu that someone is mentoring right now.

Logic: recognized trainer on training server -> button appears on main menu for players in certain level/mmr-range and in same area.

• thirtysix and HepTagoN like this

"The vectors... The vectors are all wrong!" -Bum

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Yes and yes, thanks. I've just checked it myself 10 mins ago and played a very fun 1vs1 DM with a new pal. =)

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

HoneyBoomBoom

HoneyBoomBoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

I'm a little late to the party, but I think this is a great idea!  I'm sure I've mentioned before that I nearly quit out of frustration, not being able to figure out what I was doing wrong.  I ran into Lyeth on a server where there were only four players and was given some great feedback on just a couple things where I was off.  Worked on that, improved my game, and started having fun again!

I ended up joining the TPG thing (Go Team TDM!) in hopes of finding more of that sort of feedback.  Turns out there wasn't as much of that as I had hoped, but it's still great when those little gems of wisdom are passed along.  

If there were more "clinics", I'd definitely try to attend and run through some drills!

• DieselCat, thirtysix, JackVandal and 1 other like this

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I'm a little late to the party, but I think this is a great idea!  I'm sure I've mentioned before that I nearly quit out of frustration, not being able to figure out what I was doing wrong.  I ran into Lyeth on a server where there were only four players and was given some great feedback on just a couple things where I was off.  Worked on that, improved my game, and started having fun again!

I ended up joining the TPG thing (Go Team TDM!) in hopes of finding more of that sort of feedback.  Turns out there wasn't as much of that as I had hoped, but it's still great when those little gems of wisdom are passed along.  

If there were more "clinics", I'd definitely try to attend and run through some drills!

Clinic, that works better than Classroom...

always hated school :/

• HoneyBoomBoom likes this

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Even though this was my bright idea, my RL is unpredictable. Someone with mad organizing skills please step up and help put this all together.

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

i feel like this would work best if there was a rotation of sort, have a list of players willing to help, have them check in when they dont mind helping out, then have a notice that a trainer is on hand, and if people wana join they can, though this would require more doing i feel its more likely to work as long as we have a few people willing to help spread throughout the week.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

i feel like this would work best if there was a rotation of sort, have a list of players willing to help, have them check in when they dont mind helping out, then have a notice that a trainer is on hand, and if people wana join they can, though this would require more doing i feel its more likely to work as long as we have a few people willing to help spread throughout the week.

TeamSpeak would make this super easy

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

TeamSpeak would make this super easy

perhaps an icon ingame (like the surveys) directing the players to the teamspeak and a server with a trainer in it. to be honest id volunteer now and then if i had a mic, im not a great player, but i know enough to get new players started as well as point them in the right direction. the trick would be making sure enough guys to volunteer for the teaching slot throughout the week or have set hours where players can stop by so to speak and get help.

-M1lkshake

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Test Arena(/s) should be the way here..

Nevertheless, there's yet a couple things to solve... as for example minimizing the possibility of having third parties molesting during a training in between a pair of pilots in "a room" or arena (instructor and recruit*). Coherent and/or smarter re/spawning points.. Coherently blocking/allowing teleport points to other "rooms" or arenas by a pilot when applies.. moderator/s.. and the the positive possibility of having people spectating a training too and without interfere it ... In any case production efforts will be required in order to have such a training space up and ready for the crowd wiling to teach others or get instructed..

In the mean time one or more public DM servers might be properly renamed and oriented to trainings in order to see what happens and how the crowd behaves in there..

Just my 2 cents on this subject (again).

Edited by The_Silencer, 08 September 2015 - 04:06 AM.

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Test Arena(/s) should be the way here..

Nevertheless, there's yet a couple things to solve... as for example minimizing the possibility of having third parties molesting during a training in between a pair of pilots in "a room" or arena (instructor and recruit*). Coherent and/or smarter re/spawning points.. Coherently blocking/allowing teleport points to other "rooms" or arenas by a pilot when applies.. moderator/s.. and the the positive possibility of having people spectating a training too and without interfere it ... In any case production efforts will be required in order to have such a training space up and ready for the crowd wiling to teach others or get instructed..

In the mean time one or more public DM servers might be properly renamed and oriented to trainings in order to see what happens and how the crowd behaves in there..

Just my 2 cents on this subject (again).

Great suggestion. Would be workable until a private server could be setup. Public servers would mean using DM, you only need two players to start a match.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

would love to see fightclub get more use, a basic texture would break up the glaring white walls.

I went on a server that was on fighclub map recently and then it rotated to other maps :(

EDIT: and the spectator areas can make for good video capture/analysis of the tactics

Edited by 6ixxer, 08 September 2015 - 04:17 PM.

(P:B)Augmentia

(P:B)Augmentia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

It would be kind of nice for the private fightclub server (cough) that maybe the devs could (cough cough) reinstate (COUGH COUGH). *Wink* *Wink*

Edit: We should just make a list of trainers that hop on TS when they are on Hawken, and we tell the new players that want to get better to check the list, hop on TS, and make voice/text contact with one of the official trainers. It could be a TS server subclass, with it's own icon. Just thoughts.

Edited by -vR.Augmentia, 08 September 2015 - 04:52 PM.

• thirtysix likes this
I am MM
brKc5dA.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: learn to play, get gud, tactics, strategy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users