Photo

Help me format a guide on movement- what would you benefit from?

- - - - - movement dodge tactics evasion

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

For a long time i've wanted to do a sort of guide on advanced movement.

I'm finally on break from a busy quarter, and although i have the community montage to complete and drunk streaming to do, i'd really like to get started on something of this nature with my free time of a couple weeks.

So i'm looking for your input on what you would benefit the most from. Here's my current state of mind:

The way i see it, there's only two main experience tiers which warrant guides- complete beginners who would benefit from simply being taught how to function in Hawken, and beginner-to-advanced players who would benefit from being given the resources to improve (of course this tier could be broken up infinitely). Although i love what many guides do in explaining explicit strategies, i speculate that it may not be the best way to teach, and may even limit the creative growth of a player.

So i'm leaning towards a guide which quickly covers basic foundational techniques, then explains conceptual goals reachable via movement (avoiding damage, predicting enemy movement, etc.) alongside methods of achieving those goals (insert phrases like 'L dodge' here), with a LOT of example footage which is slowed down and explained in utmost detail (my thought process, the enemy's thought process, step by step), completed with a light side compilation of movement-relevant footage for you to analyze yourself, garnished with some fresh beats.

If you trust my judgement, i'd be happy to take the entire ordeal into my own hands. If you think i should reconsider certain things, or really have any input at all, i'd love to hear it!

Thanks.

• CounterlogicMan, Bergwein, nepacaka and 1 other like this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

There's also a movement metagame surrounding bating out dodges etc. that happens at very high tiers.

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

There's also a movement metagame surrounding bating out dodges etc. that happens at very high tiers.

Agree.  Getting someone to waste something or be on cooldown when you can attack is the mental game-within-the-game.   Look at Hyginos' post about MA silo-seizing.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I guess such a guide (movement in combat) could be broken up into categories, depending on certain circumstances like:

1. Am I piloting a sustained or burst mech? What is my enemy piloting?

2. How far away is my enemy right now? At what range do I WANT to fight?

Straight CQC (e.g. T32-Raider), close-mid range (e.g. SMC-Assault) or mid-long range (e.g. Hawkins mechs)?

3. What is my goal? Do I have the armor advantage and want to force a DPS race? Are we even and I have to help myself to an advantage?

Am I at a loss of armor points and want to survive as long as possible so that maybe my teammates arrive in time to help me?

4. Where am I? How can I (in terms of movement) use the enviroment to my advantage?

That's all I can think of right now. There's probably more.

Also "a LOT of example footage" sounds awesome! I guess this will be absolute hell to cut and edit though, so kudos beforehand. :sweat:

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Something important, especially for new players, is figuring out positioning relative to the effective range of your enemy's weapons. I've seen way too many people (mostly new players in assaults) trying to walk and CQC mechs with shotguns where they could keep them at mid-range and heckle them.

Even if this isn't a guide for new players it's still important

Edited by Rainbow Sheep, 16 December 2015 - 01:23 AM.

Spoiler

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

movement metagame surrounding bating out dodges etc.

mental game-within-the-game.

This sort of thing is essentially exactly what i'd be going over, or a large portion of it. In fact, i was considering including the phrase 'mind games' in the title.

Something important, especially for new players, is figuring out positioning relative to the effective range of your enemy's weapons. I've seen way too many people (mostly new players in assaults) trying to walk and CQC mechs with shotguns where they could keep them at mid-range and heckle them.

Even if this isn't a guide for new players it's still important

I guess such a guide (movement in combat) could be broken up into categories, depending on certain circumstances like:

1. Am I piloting a sustained or burst mech? What is my enemy piloting?

2. How far away is my enemy right now? At what range do I WANT to fight?

Straight CQC (e.g. T32-Raider), close-mid range (e.g. SMC-Assault) or mid-long range (e.g. Hawkins mechs)?

3. What is my goal? Do I have the armor advantage and want to force a DPS race? Are we even and I have to help myself to an advantage?

Am I at a loss of armor points and want to survive as long as possible so that maybe my teammates arrive in time to help me?

4. Where am I? How can I (in terms of movement) use the enviroment to my advantage?

That's all I can think of right now. There's probably more.

Also "a LOT of example footage" sounds awesome! I guess this will be absolute hell to cut and edit though, so kudos beforehand. :sweat:

Lol, i was thinking some more and it really is going to be absolute hell  :teehee:

All that sounds relevant! I'd expect to be able to fit it all in, though if i have to, i'll narrow the scope of the video and leave room for additional parts (which there is always room for).

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Instead of asking the community how to write a guide, write a guide and ask the community for feedback.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Instead of asking the community how to write a guide, write a guide and ask the community for feedback.

Well i could just dive into it, or i could ask for any relevant input during the down-time before i'm even capable of starting ;)

My arms will indeed be wide open to criticism after it's produced though, too!

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
nobody needs your guide, but knock yourself out, at least you'll be doing something other than another "montage"
  • Amidatelion likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

nobody needs your guide, but knock yourself out, at least you'll be doing something other than another "montage"

Wow wasn't this a little unnecessary ? :/

If he wants to write a guide who is that going to hurt ? Besides his montages are the best hawken-related videos out there.

• Aregon, Bergwein and BimboRotto like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

his montages are the best hawken-related videos out there

that's extremely generous of you 

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

That is a somewhat blunt way to put out a message that really could have been said a lot more easily, man. I mean, of course you may not like his style of montages, that is understandable, but there is no need for being so blunt just because of someone actually makes something you don`t like. Sure, constructive criticism and opinions are always allowed, but when someone repeatedly seems to actually show disrespect to something they disagree with I start to worry.

• Bergwein likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

w0nqh.jpg

Do you need a hug? Do you happen to live in the Seattle area? Can you help pay for gas?

Bring it in Crafty. Come on.

his montages are the best hawken-related videos out there.

bae i can't even

zVPy5wd.gif

Edited by CoshCaust, 18 December 2015 - 06:01 PM.

• LaurenEmily likes this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Besides his montages are the best hawken-related videos out there.

To respectfully disagree, they're... really not. Hell Elite and LE's singukar contributions are better than anything Cosh has put out, creatively or technically. Quantity most certainly does not equal quality in this case.

And like 80% of his videos are him pubstomping. It got to the point where people flat out didn't believe me when I said he posted a video with Dave in it.

Given that all of his topics these days are Help Me Do This, I am beginning to assume he's come here for attention after getting no traction on the reddit.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

... people flat out didn't believe me when I said he posted a video with Dave in it.

Huh?  I is dumb, 'splain for me?  (not getting you...)  Is it because Dave stomps?

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Is it because Dave stomps?

Yes.

He is attempting to convey that my montages always consist of kills on nobodies, and that it's amazing to consider i included a kill on Dave in one.

When really, most are at least known-names (though that's not the point), and at least two videos include me killing Dave. He's also almost certainly ignoring, in montage #2, my 100% kill on Dave- because he focuses on the things he dislikes. The kill on Dave he's likely referring to is, oddly enough, the only video consciously directly related to talented game play- and we both died in it. Lol.

...We also both fuzzy bunnyed up repeatedly in that video...hahaha- seriously Dave gives me a free unleash of Heat+TOW on him, i give him a free TOW...we should both actually be ashamed, lol.

To respectfully disagree, they're... really not. Hell Elite and LE's singukar contributions are better than anything Cosh has put out, creatively or technically. Quantity most certainly does not equal quality in this case.

You always seem to have some negative sentiment like that, but you never give any constructive criticism- i can't figure out your motive for posting.

Is it just to hurt my feelings?

2puOc2O.gif

And like 80% of his videos are him pubstomping. It got to the point where people flat out didn't believe me when I said he posted a video with Dave in it.

Once upon a time [a few days ago], i watched a montage by LaurenEmily. It wasn't the first Hawken montage i'd seen, but it was the one that made me realize something. I explained to my brother who was sitting next to me at the time how much more heavily criticized my videos have been than anyone else's- he got a good chuckle out of the notion that i was getting flak (ayyylmao) for including footage of kills on no-name players, and that i had to go out of my way to explain in one montage, how two players i double-killed were high-tier smurfs, not randos- as if that really mattered.

I have to wonder why this happens. Why the hell i'm supposed to only make montages out of stunning kills against the best players.

Am i too talented in your eyes to include such average footage? Lol. Because really, what is the rationale going on here? I love Hawken, and i love music. I lay down at night and half the time i'm imagining the cool possibilities regarding Hawken gameplay and music. So when i have the time and i feel like it, i try to create something i can watch with pride that other people might also enjoy- yes 'with pride' does imply that i'm usually trying to use footage that is vaguely above my average level of play, but is the point of my montages to brag? Hell. No.

Where the hell did i sign up for only using super tubular kickarse snazzy wow such impress so talent gitgud l2p getrekt 3gud5u footage??

I don't recall!

Given that all of his topics these days are Help Me Do This, I am beginning to assume he's come here for attention after getting no traction on the reddit.

>trying to contribute to the community in the form of entertainment and guides, while explicitly attempting to at least consider catering to the community's interests directly is attention-whoring

YUaVYUO.jpg

Actually, i just want to do my thing, make some art, and do so in a way in which the community benefits from, if possible.

Here's a relevant direct quote from a human:

"I remember a time when Amid was happy."

Wish i coulda been there.

We're on the same team. We love Hawken. That's literally all there is, there's nothing going on that warrants such negativity man.

Edited by CoshCaust, 18 December 2015 - 09:40 PM.

• LaurenEmily, CounterlogicMan and Bergwein like this

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I like your montages.

And I do think you're submitting some of the most appealing media content for Hawken nowadays.

Even though Amid and Crafty seem to think otherwise.

I mean let's be honest - who else does submit anything anyway?

And that's me being more of a "serious stuff" guy, when it comes to video thingies.

I love an 11 seconds montage with the Bubble Up song. Or even a frag montage with an uplifting soundtrack.

Doesn't have to be top notch leaderboard climbing involved each time I watch a Hawken vid.

But that's personal taste.

I get that some of you might want something else, but that's no excuse to condemn that kind of contribution wholesale.

Hell, if everyone only wanted to show their most impressive moments only we'd probably have little to no content at all, because every player who is not 100% sure he's the best pilot ever would be afraid to put out anything whatsoever, because you're sure to be bashed by the community - and that's not what I want the Hawken community to be like.

I've stuck to this game for so long because I always loved the people who play it.

Please don't prove me wrong.

Whether you like Cosh's videos or not - he makes an effort. And I can see absolutely no reason at all why he would deserve "nobody needs your guide" and "uhh he's such an attention fuzzy bunny" for that. Damn it, make something of your own if you think it'll do any good. This game needs all the exposure it can get.

I mean: the more the merrier, isn't it?

Spoiler

• CoshCaust and LaurenEmily like this

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

I mean let's be honest - who else does submit anything anyway?

Lol, the bar is set low  :teehee: 

Sadly...

This game needs all the exposure it can get.

That's actually quite related to all my "What do you guys want?" crap. The community is so small that i try to make every possible effort to make what i am willing to offer relevant to the majority here, and in general [in terms of gamers]. If this game was massively popular, you'd basically never see me asking for input before generating content; i would make what i want to make and i'd probably have my own small happy niche- but i'm trying to consciously...idk, be a little more mainstream and relevant than my usual self.

Anyway, i appreciate your words in general.

Edited by CoshCaust, 18 December 2015 - 10:43 PM.

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

I believe this is highly subjective. I personally enjoy his videos a lot, and so do other people.

I think we all know that stomping people / getting stomped is a big part of playing hawken these days ( at least it's been like that for as long as i've been playing) And not all of us are even capable of playing in that 'highest tier' there is.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Actually, i just want to do my thing, make some art, and do so in a way in which the community benefits from, if possible.

Then why do you keep asking the forums how or if you should "do your thing"?

Just fuzzy bunnyng do it. We can't asses something that doesn't exist beyond an extremely basic idea (that in many cases appears redundant or highly derivative). If you want to make something productive you have to start with something you want to accomplish, not just by deciding you want to make a thing becasue it would be cool to make a thing. If you have to ask the community what or how make or how to make it you've removed yourself from the creative process somewhat and are likely not really contributing anything new. Plus, one of the better ways to figure out how to make a thing is to power through doing one and learn from the problems you encounter.

In fact, I'll even provide an example. I scribbled up a bunch of stuff as a thought experiment a while back that I think I can format into a guide and throw up on the forums as a separate thread. I already know what I want to say and accomplish with it, so I can select the structure and style in specifically to reach my determined goal.

EDIT: I don't mean to be disparaging here. You're clearly motivated but I think you would best modify your approach.

EDIT 2: There, see? Just do it. Easy.

Edited by Hyginos, 19 December 2015 - 08:41 AM.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

I personally believe there may be some truth in both parts, however I still don`t think there is a need to criticise someone`s attempt at creating forms of entertainment for the community, when one could rather criticise and give feedback to what he creates. I have however noticed OP`s spammy nature in creating new topics, but I just think it can be boiled down to "immaturity" with how this forum works. 

• Amidatelion likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Then why do you keep asking the forums how or if you should "do your thing"?

Just fuzzy bunnyng do it. We can't asses something that doesn't exist beyond an extremely basic idea (that in many cases appears redundant or highly derivative). If you want to make something productive you have to start with something you want to accomplish, not just by deciding you want to make a thing becasue it would be cool to make a thing. If you have to ask the community what or how make or how to make it you've removed yourself from the creative process somewhat and are likely not really contributing anything new. Plus, one of the better ways to figure out how to make a thing is to power through doing one and learn from the problems you encounter.

In fact, I'll even provide an example. I scribbled up a bunch of stuff as a thought experiment a while back that I think I can format into a guide and throw up on the forums as a separate thread. I already know what I want to say and accomplish with it, so I can select the structure and style in specifically to reach my determined goal.

EDIT: I don't mean to be disparaging here. You're clearly motivated but I think you would best modify your approach.

EDIT 2: There, see? Just do it. Easy.

I personally believe there may be some truth in both parts, however I still don`t think there is a need to criticise someone`s attempt at creating forms of entertainment for the community, when one could rather criticise and give feedback to what he creates. I have however noticed OP`s spammy nature in creating new topics, but I just think it can be boiled down to "immaturity" with how this forum works. 

Holy Swedish pancakes guys you all are really reading into what i'm doing far too much. I could quote individual portions of what you're saying and explain it away, but i can clearly see the root of the issue here.

Come. Sit by my side, relax, close your eyes- now imagine you are me.

Stop giggling at mirrors, i'm not that pretty.

Okay, what are we thinking?...

I love Hawken.

I love music.

I love visual accompaniment of music.

I want to create something artistic.

I want to share my thorough understanding of certain aspects of Hawken.

I want to contribute to the community.

The Hawken community is painfully tiny.

The forums are barely alive with the same names posting/commenting everywhere.

User-created content for Hawken is sparse.

I have no experience in video or audio editing, nor in writing guides or tutorials, or speaking in any sense really.

But kcuf it i'm gonna do something- it doesn't have to be great.

And i'm doing it because i want to, so it's not like my feelings are on the line if people hate it or it gets zero attention.

But, the scene could really benefit from content it loves...

I might as well try to gear my creations towards the interests of the majority- i'm sure it falls in line with my own interests well enough.

I want my productions to be something people can excitedly share if they're inclined to share something Hawken-related.

What can i do to get a feel for what Hawken players want?

How can i enjoy creating something i love, while contributing to the health of Hawken overall?

Of course, all those words essentially generate the "color" of my mindset; it's an instance of my subconscious' background over a period of time, and it's why i've interacted with the community the way i have. It's why my montages aren't accompanied by my 100% favorite music (cause everyone would think that's goddam unbearable to listen to, lol).

Maybe if i really thought out my contribution methods step by step i would have caught the possibility of being berated for...trying too hard? Lol...but i'm not even trying hard! At the end of the day, everything i've done has been fun, not work! I do it because i want to!

Stop thinking so hard guys! You're hurting yourself, lol.

It's like i'm trying to include a friend in my fun and he's worried i'm doing it out of pity or something- nah man, i just want to have my fun in this way- i want to include others.

What if there are players who are interested in montages, but won't make one for whatever reason? What if i told that person i'd be happy to make a montage with their footage, and music they can vote for? I would love doing that, and maybe that appeals to people- so i'll ask! And look at that, multiple people were interested- Dave even told me he's always considered making montages but had no experience.

Honestly though, if you guys can tell me with sincere confidence that the large majority of people here are misunderstanding my actions, then i'll happily just...how to phrase this...stop considering peoples' interests so thoroughly? Idk, you know what i mean; i can just avoid any 'What do you want?' sort of post. Otherwise no bad is coming from what i'm doing.

And i've got to tell you, i'm not convinced most peoples' views of my posts are as warped from the reality of what they are.

Edited by CoshCaust, 19 December 2015 - 03:33 PM.

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

-Hyginos is right-

Reading this thread again front to back, if anything, has further convinced me that my initial assessment is correct.

This is like asking folks on the street what they want in a hyperencabulator. They've never seen a hyperencabulator before, and though some of them may be able to guess (perhaps having seen a turboencabulator or a retroencabulator), none of them will really have a detailed enough frame of reference to tell you what makes a good hyperencabulator.

It's like i'm trying to include a friend in my fun and he's worried i'm doing it out of pity or something

Don't flatter yourself.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Don't flatter yourself.

>legitimately believing my motives are ulterior rather than exactly as i laid out- and berating me for it

ZymPHtN.png

TL;DR:

Some people appear to be drastically misinterpreting my actions - sucks for them - my actions are either achieving nothing at all, or they are allowing me to create overall better content. I will not change a damn thing about what i'm doing.

Any remaining grievances are just...unfortunate i suppose!

Now, if you [or anyone else commenting off-topic] have any relevant contribution to be made here, i am still quite interested in being reminded of topics i should cover in my guide, seeing as most of my in-game habits are deeply subconscious at this point, and i will unfortunately probably forget something important i could have easily covered :/ hah.

[a reminder on why i'm asking rather than doing: aside from obvious reasons (such as 'why not both')- i'm on a shite-top, away from all my footage on my PC and can't work on anything if i wanted to]

Otherwise, i'm sorry my actions perturb you.

jthqX9u.gif

Feel free to ignore me :)

Edited by CoshCaust, 19 December 2015 - 05:20 PM.

Kindos7

Kindos7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hey I heard here is where we lynch CoshCaut, can I join? I even brought the good stuff!

pitchforks.jpg

image.jpg

Hope I'm not late to the party.
  • Aregon, CoshCaust, CounterlogicMan and 2 others like this

"Go pro, it's worth it"

asipo

asipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

thread derail lol

its just a montage anyway (but i prefer funny hawken montage like 1 hit pred mines, or enemy stuck to death, kill low health enemy by crushing them on top etc)

anyway, im looking foward for c-class movement guide (especially submachinegun vanguard)

• CoshCaust likes this

Join Hawken asia Facebook group : here

Mech idea : Marauder (B-class), Raptor (A-class)

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

thread derail lol

its just a montage anyway (but i prefer funny hawken montage like 1 hit pred mines, or enemy stuck to death, kill low health enemy by crushing them on top etc)

anyway, im looking foward for c-class movement guide (especially submachinegun vanguard)

Thanks for the input :)

I hope to produce something that will apply in many ways to general play, but i can't pretend i'm an expert on C-class movement, and i won't be emphasizing it in this video; sorry! Maybe one day i'll git gud in C-classes  :rolleyes:

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

SNIPE

SNipe

Always ask for feedback and suggestions when you see fit to do so. 

I like the idea Cosh. I think there is a giant void that needs to be filled for Hawken when it comes to beginner friendly videos. So I would suggest maybe starting with beginners in mind then doing an intermediate, then advanced videos.

A few general ideas for tips on movement I feel could be nice additions:

1. Stress the idea of dodging to cover. 

2. Explain the dodge cooldown time and where it can be seen on the HUD. You wouldn't believe the number of people that don't know about the little dial to the right of the fuel bar. 

3. Explain the nuances of how fuel regen is effected by movement.

4. Stress the idea of patience and smart dodging rather than dodging because your dodge is on cooldown. 

- Also, forgot to add and to lazy to redo the numbers: Don't forget to keep dodging when out of fuel (if in the open and under fire). Otherwise conserve dodges to regen fuel for an escape.

5. Use the radar to help plan your movement.

6. Constantly evaluate the situation, Should I be moving aggressively to line up shots? Or should I be saving dodges/fuel? This ties in a lot with considering fuel, hp, and heat as resources you have to manage. Which I believe deserves a video just in itself. Would love to talk about it with you some time. 

7. Advertise TPG and Axe-Attack because we have the best vods in Hawken. :) And also need fresh blood of all levels for next season.

Keep up the montages.

Edited by CounterlogicMan, 25 December 2015 - 06:48 PM.

• CoshCaust and BimboRotto like this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Always ask for feedback and suggestions when you see fit to do so. 

I like the idea Cosh. I think there is a giant void that needs to be filled for Hawken when it comes to beginner friendly videos. So I would suggest maybe starting with beginners in mind then doing an intermediate, then advanced videos.

A few general ideas for tips on movement I feel could be nice additions:

1. Stress the idea of dodging to cover. 

2. Explain the dodge cooldown time and where it can be seen on the HUD. You wouldn't believe the number of people that don't know about the little dial to the right of the fuel bar. 

3. Explain the nuances of how fuel regen is effected by movement.

4. Stress the idea of patience and smart dodging rather than dodging because your dodge is on cooldown. 

- Also, forgot to add and to lazy to redo the numbers: Don't forget to keep dodging when out of fuel (if in the open and under fire). Otherwise conserve dodges to regen fuel for an escape.

5. Use the radar to help plan your movement.

6. Constantly evaluate the situation, Should I be moving aggressively to line up shots? Or should I be saving dodges/fuel? This ties in a lot with considering fuel, hp, and heat as resources you have to manage. Which I believe deserves a video just in itself. Would love to talk about it with you some time. 

7. Advertise TPG and Axe-Attack because we have the best vods in Hawken. :) And also need fresh blood of all levels for next season.

Keep up the montages.

A+ input!

You make a lot of good points, so much so that i'll have to give the original plan a lot more thought as far as sectioning; looking like i'll be committing to at least a couple videos...there's a lot of options here - three main beginner/intermediate/advanced videos, possibly just one video for absolute basics + good habits with continuous additions of videos on more in-depth subjects, etc. - i'll sit down and get a confident outline going before any production.

Right now i'm leaning toward an introduction to the definitive need-to-knows, allowing any number of additional videos for specific subjects (this would mean i would hopefully produce the first two videos immediately); because i'm realizing i probably can't go into this expecting to cover everything. There will always be more to add.

Edited by CoshCaust, 26 December 2015 - 01:15 PM.

dlg597

dlg597

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

*Clicks post because of genuine interest*

*Reads shitstorm below*

*Exits post*

*laughs hysterically*

*comes back*

*has to leave again, because the shitstorm is still happening*

Do you guys legitimately think that it matters in any way, shape, or form what Cosh is posting? Allow me to break this down for you:

-You don't like him pubstomping. That makes sense.

-He makes montages of the footage he likes. Also makes sense.

-Some other members of the community actually DO like his videos. Another thing that makes sense.

-My personal opinion in this matter doesn't factor into this, and if I say it, the only thing any of you will focus on is how my like or dislike of his channel is clouding my judgement.

-Cosh comes to the forums and the subreddit frequently to ask for help with various things. The reason he does this is threefold, in the way I understand it.

1: He is unable to do some of these things himself, whether it's from time constraints, physical inability, or the lack of the required skill.

2: He wants to get other members of the community INVOLVED. It's his way of trying to revitalize the community, and get everyone on the same side. Evidently, this seems to have split us more than everything, and it's not my place to state whether or not his projects are working, but the ideas and the motives behind them all spawn from good intention.

3: He has an idea, and he wants to do it. Doesn't matter if it's pubstomping or IareDave 1v1's, or a community made video with our choice of music, or whatever else it is he wants to do. Giving him more flak (huehue) is just going to make him angry or annoyed. It isn't going to stop him. So why the hell bother with something you can just accept, move on, and try, just TRY, to be alright with. Everyone has different content, and that's fine. He likes a lot of the footage he has, regardless of whether it's a pubstomp or not, because it looks good on tape. He's just making the videos and content he wants to, and no one here should really have an issue with that.

Yes, Amid, I understand that Cosh is asking for a lot of help with stuff. But the reason for this is the same as the reason you did War Wednesday- it's a place for the community to congregate and input without worrying about high level matches or feeling like they aren't "good enough" for whatever it is they're trying to do, whether it's dueling, DMing, or making Hawken videos.

So, Cosh, Amid, Craftly, various other torch-wielders and pitchfork bearers, I have one simple request.

Cool it.

Just....

Cool it.

Drop it.

And move on with your lives.

Okay, that was three requests. So I lied. Sue me.

-----------------------------------------------

Now, about the guide idea- do it. If you want my help, you can have it, although I'm unsure where I would fit into all of this. In any case, as Counter said, we lack a lot of early game guides that are worth a read or watch. Captain Hobbes is some of the only video content that's expansive enough to be worth a watch, and he didn't actually cover movement. Amid has a great guide on the Rocketeer, but I think we can all agree it isn't really for... new players.

In any case, get it going, and have fun with it. PM me if you have any requests for things you want me to do.

Cheers everyone!

Go have a beer or something.

• CoshCaust and BimboRotto like this

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Forgot to mention.

Make sure you post your vidoes/guides on the steam forums. New players that find Hawken through steam are much more likely to check there than here for information and help. Also, once you have your video the way you like. Put it on youtube as private then share it privately with some community members, even with the devs, to see what they think. If they suggest some changes you can then choose to take the video down and re edit it without the public knowing. 

Speaking of devs. When your video is done and how you like it and the private feedback is positive. Submit a link to the video via a support ticket. If the devs like it they may possibly give it a news tile in game or a tweet. They want the new player experience to improve more than anyone. One of the best ways to do that is make learning the game easier. Guides like the ones you are trying to produce are part of that. :)

• CoshCaust likes this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

asipo

asipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Cost got lots to do now even his stream still offline

Join Hawken asia Facebook group : here

Mech idea : Marauder (B-class), Raptor (A-class)

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Forgot to mention.

Make sure you post your vidoes/guides on the steam forums. New players that find Hawken through steam are much more likely to check there than here for information and help. Also, once you have your video the way you like. Put it on youtube as private then share it privately with some community members, even with the devs, to see what they think. If they suggest some changes you can then choose to take the video down and re edit it without the public knowing. 

Speaking of devs. When your video is done and how you like it and the private feedback is positive. Submit a link to the video via a support ticket. If the devs like it they may possibly give it a news tile in game or a tweet. They want the new player experience to improve more than anyone. One of the best ways to do that is make learning the game easier. Guides like the ones you are trying to produce are part of that. :)

I never even thought of Steam, i'll definitely do that.

That's a good idea with the devs. I'll have to try that, private sharing, attempting to fit it to their liking- would be really cool to have it featured by them.

• CounterlogicMan likes this

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Cost got lots to do now even his stream still offline

I'm sick right now and need a SATA 3.0 cable before i can install my new hard drive and start production :/

Life hates me right now, but it'll pass soon and everything will be rolling tough!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: movement, dodge, tactics, evasion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users