• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

It's been beta for almost 3 years, and no major update (as simple as a new mech) was placed in over one and half years, and now jumping on an android console? I thought the first big news would be details of upcoming major update.
I saw it from several resources, it must be real! Wait did I just spoiled it?

citation: http://games.sina.co...iu1675819.shtml  Chinese website (cos it's a Chinese console)

Although, those resources are just copied the news from the Console's weibo (it's...Chinese twitter)

Original news link: (also Chinese) http://weibo.com/p/1...910474918961507

Edited by claisolais, 02 December 2015 - 08:31 AM.

Ic6j9zJ.png

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
Citation needed
  • Kopra likes this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I vaguely remember something about Hawken being planned for android a long time ago and something about that being fake/non official thing. Like Silver said: 

Citation needed

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

I also cant seem to find an announcement using google.  But remember, there was a picture of a Hawken mech on the actual box of the original Shield Portable when it shipped.  There is also youtube footage of Hawken running on the device when it was first annonunced a couple years ago, so the code existsed in some form already.  If this is true, i can't say im shocked.

• claisolais likes this

4wBdPaU.jpg

Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Yes. [citation needed]

Edited by Sorroritas, 02 December 2015 - 08:35 AM.

Treat them with honour, my Brothers.

Not because they will bring us victory this day,

but because their fate will one day be ours.

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Citation needed

done, looks like there is only one source, the official Weibo (like twitter) account of Fuzi   The developer of the console.

Ic6j9zJ.png

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

USE YOUR GOOGLE NEWS --as dev said in last update.

Check the date! Chinese/unknown language?

USE GOOGLE TRANSLATOR.

You guys need to learn how to find information on the internet. It's bigger than English, especially when it comes to the original sources.

Edited by claisolais, 02 December 2015 - 09:17 AM.

Ic6j9zJ.png

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
Last I remembered, when Hawken arrived in China, its managing was taken over by a Chinese company and Meteor didn't really deal with them. So I would therefore view any Hawken activity in terms of marketing not related to Reloaded's advertising and expansion plans.

I might be wrong however. I did find this but I didn't think it of much importance or relation to Hawken as a whole. This doesn't feel like a "big announcement" type thing and it doesn't make sense in terms of rebuilding the game.

And seriously, don't insult us. I'm Chinese. I can read it (kind of). People use Translate. I found it. I didn't bother sharing it. Chill.

Edited by Silverfire, 02 December 2015 - 08:55 AM.

lNM7VnC.png

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

I also cant seem to find an announcement using google.  But remember, there was a picture of a Hawken mech on the actual box of the original Shield Portable when it shipped.  There is also youtube footage of Hawken running on the device when it was first annonunced a couple years ago, so the code existsed in some form already.  If this is true, i can't say im shocked.

my friend got a shield a couple months ago and it had it on the box

I do appreciate the art, but I don't have time to find anything good. /h/

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Last I remembered, when Hawken arrived in China, its managing was taken over by a Chinese company and Meteor didn't really deal with them. So I would therefore view any Hawken activity in terms of marketing not related to Reloaded's advertising and expansion plans.

I might be wrong however. I did find this but I didn't think it of much importance or relation to Hawken as a whole. This doesn't feel like a "big announcement" type thing and it doesn't make sense in terms of rebuilding the game.

And seriously, don't insult us. I'm Chinese. I can read it (kind of). People use Translate. I found it. I didn't bother sharing it. Chill.

Yes KongZhong ruined it. But China is still one big potential market :/

I am kinda disappointed if it's THE big announcement.  I recall something related to "Partner" was  mention in one Youtube Josh interview, so I think it might be the one, even though we are not looking forward to it very much.

But, it is one thing that people back in China can finally have some fun.

I just got a little mad/disappointment because I was expecting something like what TURDxSANDWCH said. Citation? Google News, simple as that. :/  "Didn't bother" Yeah I kinda feel it, yet people still asking for citations. Citations? why bother? <---I was kinda like this.

And I do know you are Chinese.

Edited by claisolais, 02 December 2015 - 09:36 AM.

Ic6j9zJ.png

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

my friend got a shield a couple months ago and it had it on the box

I have seen picture, but not videos, I was presuming it's just like the PS3/X360 support.

Update: I JUST found out that it actually works, but I totally forgot that :/

And Now there is a solid news for that and all matches dev's words. I was like: "Okay, so thats it?" and here we are..

Edited by claisolais, 02 December 2015 - 09:24 AM.

Ic6j9zJ.png

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Google News, simple as that. :/

Must be different for you because the closest thing I get to news about Hawken (game) is this: http://www.pcgamer.c...-chaos-run-dlc/

Otherwise it's something about a basketball team or an enviromentalist with Hawken as his last name.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

mrw-my-girlfriend-tells-me-an-awfully-bo

• MechFighter5e3bf9, claisolais and nepacaka like this

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Haha, this game is a train wreck.

popcorn-blank.gif

No crew

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Better than an iOS console I guess

• claisolais likes this

Spoiler

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Haha, this game is a train wreck.

popcorn-blank.gif

Stephen%20Colbert%20telling%20you%20to%2

• TURDxSANDWICH and OdinTheWise like this

lNM7VnC.png

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Bill-Cosby-Reaction-Gif.gif

• TAZ_ likes this

No crew

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Im no expert, but I think this is actually a pretty good business move for Reloaded.  From what i could gather from that ridiculous translation of the source in the OP, it looks like there is a Chinese company Fuze with some pretty strong backing (Huawei and Nvidia among them) who is releasing an android based game console in China.  And it appears that Hawken will be either a launch title, or at least one of the 100 titles said to be released in the next year.

http://www.fuzegame.tv/

http://technode.com/...e-game-console/

This is a very interesting play to gain some easy revenue.  Obviously, China has an extremely large population.  And until recently, there was a console ban in the country.  So, the gaming scene isn't like it is in most of the rest of the world.  An android console wouldn't be attempting to overcome the already established PS4 and XboxOne industry giants.  So, what you have is a free to play launch title in a relatively untapped market with billions of people in it.  Seems like even if the Fuze console fails long term, the short term revenues for the game could be quite substantial which would of course be used to pay off Reloaded's investment in the game, but also go towards future development.  Plus, based on Fuze's linkedin profile, its likely their partnership with Reloaded came with some financial backing too.

https://www.linkedin...e-co-ltd-peking

Now, of course, the question that we all have to ask is how much of the current development time is being used to port the game to Android, as opposed to developing new content and updates to get it out of steam early access (which is really the announcement everyone wants to hear).  I know the android SDK supposedly makes it simple for game developers to port their games to Open GL, but simple is always a relative term, especially when you are talking about a small team.  But, I suppose at the same time, bringing on so many potentially new players and their money is likely much more lucrative than giving us few 100 (1000?) players who have stuck with this game our update sooner than otherwise.

• Elite_is_salty, claisolais and StubbornPuppet like this

4wBdPaU.jpg

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Must be different for you because the closest thing I get to news about Hawken (game) is this: http://www.pcgamer.c...-chaos-run-dlc/

Otherwise it's something about a basketball team or an enviromentalist with Hawken as his last name.

Well that happens, wait you searched "hawken game"?

Spoiler

Ic6j9zJ.png

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Well that happens, wait you searched "hawken game"?

Hawken, Hawken game, Hawken video game

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Hawken, Hawken game, Hawken video game

I tried with google.com as well, same result :/  Something else is there influencing the result...IP address, language usage history, etc. etc. Not important now anyway..

Ic6j9zJ.png

jjm1

jjm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Now, of course, the question that we all have to ask is how much of the current development time is being used to port the game to Android, as opposed to developing new content and updates to get it out of steam early access (which is really the announcement everyone wants to hear).  I know the android SDK supposedly makes it simple for game developers to port their games to Open GL, but simple is always a relative term, especially when you are talking about a small team.  But, I suppose at the same time, bringing on so many potentially new players and their money is likely much more lucrative than giving us few 100 (1000?) players who have stuck with this game our update sooner than otherwise.

Being deployable to iOS and Android was one of Unreal Engine 3's big sales pitches.

I wouldn't really be surprised if someone thought they could push out a mobile version of the game. It was like the new boardroom golden boy and the dumb end of the tech journo spectrum was saying the PC is doomed.

phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

hmm, i have the shield tv with gamestream (hawken is there in the compatibility listy, though i haven't gotten it work - windows 10?).  but it seems like they are talking about a cloud based service, like geforce now, which is where they host one of the other games it was compared to at the end of the article Grid:Motorsports...

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I remember seeing hawken on Sony Erikson Experia Play adds at my local Fred Myer for a while even though the game wasn't on it. They would loop it on one of the big display TVs. I thought it was a bit odd but this explains it a little.

• claisolais likes this

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

hmm, i have the shield tv with gamestream (hawken is there in the compatibility listy, though i haven't gotten it work - windows 10?).  but it seems like they are talking about a cloud based service, like geforce now, which is where they host one of the other games it was compared to at the end of the article Grid:Motorsports...

I guess this could be possible.  If Nvidia is involved, they definitely want to push their cloud gaming services.  But, Ill just say I hope its not the case.  I can't imagine the additional latency added with cloud based gaming could make for anything resembling a good gaming experience for an online FPS.

4wBdPaU.jpg

TAZ_

TAZ_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Hahahaha that face

(08:35:47 PM) Ashfire908: auth taz_ blacklist
(08:35:48 PM) ScrimBot: 'taz_' has been added to the 'blacklist' group.

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

I'm surprised none of the devs have chimed in on this yet.

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

SS396

SS396

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

I'm surprised none of the devs have chimed in on this yet.

I'm surprised you actually think the Dev's read and respond to posts.

Whens the last time Josh actually responded to a post?
  • Superkamikazee likes this

[DELETED]

fuzzy bunny you CZeroFive 

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

I'm surprised you actually think the Dev's read and respond to posts.

Whens the last time Josh actually responded to a post?

I know, they haven't been the most active lately. Still it's a bit odd to make a big deal about something, then be totally unresponsive when information that seems to relate to that thing is brought up.

Edited by Dedhed, 06 December 2015 - 07:41 AM.

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Yes, there is a native Android version of Hawken!  It's aimed at the NVidia X1 and K1 chips, and like some have mentioned, it's essentially going to complete work that had been started a long time ago.  We had a great partner approach us about it, and their studio is doing all the work (Golden Gate Games), so it's not been some big distraction for us.  They pulled in some top-tier talent, and we are all excited to see it release.  The Fuze team will be releasing more info over the coming months; they definitely have some big plans :)

• crockrocket, TURDxSANDWICH, MomOw and 1 other like this

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Yes, there is a native Android version of Hawken! It's aimed at the NVidia X1 and K1 chips, and like some have mentioned, it's essentially going to complete work that had been started a long time ago. We had a great partner approach us about it, and their studio is doing all the work (Golden Gate Games), so it's not been some big distraction for us. They pulled in some top-tier talent, and we are all excited to see it release. The Fuze team will be releasing more info over the coming months; they definitely have some big plans :)

But...why? It honestly looks like another Meteor marketing stunt, which would make sense since you mentioned it was started a long time ago.

I really hope this isn't the news Tiggs wanted us to look on Google News for.

Edited by Sylhiri, 07 December 2015 - 11:51 PM.

• crockrocket likes this

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

But...why? It honestly looks like another Meteor marketing stunt, which would make sense since you mentioned it was started a long time ago.

Did you all forget the Nvidia Shield hawken port?  I'm almost willing to bet that this is the continuation of that.

If a 3rd party is doing to port, why not?  It's not like having the company pick up where it was left is going to stop work on the main game.  Heck, for all we know, they might make some improvements that could be rolled back into the main game.

Edited by bacon_avenger, 08 December 2015 - 12:18 AM.

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

So is it safe to assume players will be playing a more current and updated product on Android vs PC? It sounds like the Android version has a larger, more capable team working on it. This is hysterical. 

No crew

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

But...why?

Isn't it obvious?  A third party team working to port the game to a different platform increases the player base and therefore revenues.  Revenues are a good thing for everyone, not just Reloaded.

4wBdPaU.jpg

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

So is it safe to assume players will be playing a more current and updated product on Android vs PC? It sounds like the Android version has a larger, more capable team working on it. This is hysterical. 

4wBdPaU.jpg

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

No crew

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Isn't it obvious?  A third party team working to port the game to a different platform increases the player base and therefore revenues.  Revenues are a good thing for everyone, not just Reloaded.

Someone had to pay Golden Gate Games for the port, either Reloaded paid them to do the work or they get a portion of the revenues. The question is that is the android port going to equal or exceed the amount of money it cost to port it. Also something to note that it might increase the player base for a short time but the player base will go back down to current levels anyway like when it first went to Steam. If I remember Josh correctly the average time new players play the game is about three days or so before leaving. Unless the android port is coming after a player retention fix we are going to see the same thing happen as Steam and we will lose yet another opportunity to increase the player base longer then short term. 

I'm also curious why ADH even considered Android consoles over the major gaming consoles. It's not like people will be playing Hawken on their phones so the gaming consoles have a larger player base. This "news" has me just as excited as if they told us that they are developing Hawken for the Wii U, but that is me personally.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if it's a *****y port then that's not a good thing. It might even hurt Hawken, but at least it would be free advertisement :0

Edited by Sylhiri, 08 December 2015 - 09:19 AM.

• Superkamikazee likes this

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Unless there was some pre existing contract deal that had to be fulfilled to make this port. The time and money spent on the Android port would have been better suited towards a PS4 port as an alternative to any other platform. That console has a huge global install base, and it's a dedicated game box vs android machines aka tablets and phones....also PS4 doesn't exactly have a ton of exclusives on it atm, in this drought Hawken could have hit hard. 

No crew

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

We had a great partner approach us about it, and their studio is doing all the work (Golden Gate Games), so it's not been some big distraction for us. 

Someone had to pay Golden Gate Games for the port

I'm also curious why ADH even considered Android consoles over the major gaming consoles. 

Unless there was some pre existing contract deal that had to be fulfilled to make this port. The time and money spent on the Android port would have been better suited towards a PS4 port as an alternative to any other platform. That console has a huge global install base, and it's a dedicated game box vs android machines aka tablets and phones....also PS4 doesn't exactly have a ton of exclusives on it atm, in this drought Hawken could have hit hard. 

I'm not sure you guys are reading into everything properly.  It seems to me that Fuze (the maker of the Chinese Android console) and possibly NVidia (pure speculation on my part, based on the previous partnership on the failed native port for the OG Shield Portable) approached Reloaded about another port for the K1/X1 Tegra chips.  Based on this link I posted above (https://www.linkedin...e-co-ltd-peking), its likely Fuze even provided financial support for the port.  Not only that, they also provided a developer to handle the port.  I don't see why its so hard to recognize why they chose an Android port over a PS4 port. 

If what Josh says is absolutely true about minimum time commitment to work on getting the game running on Android, i still don't see how Reloaded or the current player base loses in this venture.  Its a risk, yes.  But its a release in China.  Maybe I'm unaware, but is there such a huge Hawken PC player base in China, where if this Android port or the Fuze console fails, that it will permanently ruin any hope of this game making a comeback on PC in the rest of the world? 

4wBdPaU.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Console, news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users