• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Hi there, friendly neighborhood Milkshake here. As some TPG participants may have noted, there hasn't been a 3vs3 Cup in some time. This is partially due to the fact that I was focusing all of my energy on the most recent season of TPG, and partially because I assumed most other people were doing the same. Now, I've taken a good long break since the season ended, and I'm ready to begin hosting these events again, and more often if necessary. Before I do, I wanted to ask the opinion of those of you who have participated or want to participate in TPG events, in order to get a better idea of what might make a successful tournament.

1. Are you interested in seeing or participating in more 3vs3 Cup Tournaments? Does this include during the regular TPG seasons, or just in the off-time between seasons?
  2. In the past we have tried to had "mutators" to the cups to make them more interesting, such as removing the radar, or restricting mech choices. Are there any you'd like to see (within the realm of possibility) in future cups? Should all cups follow the same mutators, or should they be different every time?
  3. How often do you want to see 3vs3 cups held? Once a month? Once a week (Haha- not happening)?

Keep in mind all cups follow TPG rules for item and internal restrictions. This includes:

• No Scanners
  • No Extractors (of any kind)
  • No Repair Kits (of any kind)

This also includes a newer internal restriction:

• No Composite Armor

These restrictions may change as I consider your opinions and consult other TPG Admins. The final listing of restrictions will be included in the announcement post for the next Cup.

Please also remember that the duration of a Cup is intended to be less than one day. Any ideas you have to extend the duration of a cup I will likely ignore.

Please keep the conversation civil, and thank you in advance for your time.

• coldform, Nept, ThirdEyE and 6 others like this

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

TPG Master Thread <-- Interested in competitive Hawken? See here.

Credit for the Automatic Mustang logo goes to Breadeffect.

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

how about the TURKEY BOWL!!!  because turkey bowl sounds better than turkey cup.

Each team has to have at least one battle turkey. 

Thats all I have so far.

Maybe make it 4v4 with two turkeys each team.

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
  1. Yes.
  2. Cups should be a place where different mutators can be tested. Personally, I would still like to see No Repair Orbs but Orblord Internals allowed. I still think it would go a ways longer to promoting different builds while restricting less. I am willing to be proven wrong, assuming a cup gets hosted.
  3. Once or twice a month would be nice.

Why ban composite armour? At this rate we're not going to have access to fully half the internals in the game by season five.

*waits for "rewards dying" argument*

• crockrocket likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

*waits for "rewards dying" argument*

What else needs to be said besides "adding 120 HP to a brawler with a 1 slot internal is kinda dumb"?

Anyway, I'd be curious to try a draft cup or a cup in which teams of 3 are paired together for full 6v6 matches.

I agree with Amid in that I think switching up the mutators every time makes the 3v3 cups both more interesting and more productive.

If there are to be prizes, they should be at least partially raffled to encourage more participation from the non-milgeleet cabal.

• CounterlogicMan likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  1. Are you interested in seeing or participating in more 3vs3 Cup Tournaments? Does this include during the regular TPG seasons, or just in the off-time between seasons?
  2. In the past we have tried to had "mutators" to the cups to make them more interesting, such as removing the radar, or restricting mech choices. Are there any you'd like to see (within the realm of possibility) in future cups? Should all cups follow the same mutators, or should they be different every time?
  3. How often do you want to see 3vs3 cups held? Once a month? Once a week (Haha- not happening)?

1. No. Yes.

2. No. Who gives a turd.

3. Never.

Edited by DerMax, 12 January 2016 - 11:09 AM.

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

1. No. Yes.

2. No. Who gives a turd.

3. Never.

You're so edgy, Dermax!

• DerMax, Meraple, MomOw and 2 others like this

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

TPG Master Thread <-- Interested in competitive Hawken? See here.

Credit for the Automatic Mustang logo goes to Breadeffect.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

EdgeLord DerMax

• DerMax and Badtings like this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

EdgeLord DerMax

DerMax: Ultra EdgeLord of the Nept-Kings

• Nept, devotion, ticklemyiguana and 1 other like this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

That comp armor internal really helps the viability of some of the weaker A classes in the objective modes.

That said I'd love to see a Naked Cup with ZERO internals or items hosted by TPG.

That would help to make it inclusive for the Turkey.

• coldform, _incitatus and cavefishes like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

That comp armor internal really helps the viability of some of the weaker A classes in the objective modes.

That said I'd love to see a Naked Cup with ZERO internals or items hosted by TPG.

That would help to make it inclusive for the Turkey.

Seconding Naked Cup, so long as we get a Testing Cup in before S4.

• CraftyDus likes this

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

As a previous winner the only real suggestion I have is to make prizes more inclusive and interesting. Ex. First prize is awarded to both the first place team and a random team that enters so as to encourage people who know they aren't going to win to still participate and have fun while improving their skills holy run on sentence batman. Anyway, I love the atmosphere surrounding 3v3 competition and hope to be able to participate in these in the future. Also thx for comp armor ban. Broken AF. 

• DerMax, Amidatelion, CraftyDus and 1 other like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

1. Yes, and that goes for TDM as a whole (though we will be encouraging members to mix it up and not necessarily make clan-exclusive teams.) Once a month sounds good to me if everyone is up for it. Additionally, myself and coldform, and probably the rest of our council, are entirely willing to lend a hand as needed in terms of organization etc.

2. Mutators are cool, I'd like to see mutators change between tourney's to keep things interesting.

3. Oops answered that in numerous uno. Instead I'll answer part of number 1 here. I don't thing 3v3s during regular season are a good idea, just too much on everyone's plate. Pre-season might be okay because #hype

Edit to include some "mutator" ideas I had:

1. Set mech comp ahead of time, possibly even internals and items as well. For example, everyone gets a brawler, infil, and bruiser with set loadouts for each.

2. Only one class allowed.

3. Everyone runs triple holograms.

4. No AC

5. crabbymech nvm that would be shite

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 12 January 2016 - 11:48 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
That being said, TDM will prolly have about 6 or so teams to participate.
  • eth0, M1lkshake and DeeRax like this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

That being said, TDM will prolly have about 6 or so teams to participate.

You think we can get 18 to show up on a weekend? That said we should still have good turnout at these

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 12 January 2016 - 03:48 PM.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

bkcat1

bkcat1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

3v3 cups are extremely fun. I don't care what the details are, I'm just expressing my interest!

• Nept and M1lkshake like this

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

1. Yes. Anytime.

2. Any in any combination. Different every time.

3. Once a month! That would be rad. More frequently maybe on off season.

Turkey Bowl and Naked Cup pls.

• crockrocket, CraftyDus and cavefishes like this

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Love to see more of these 3v3s, especially with mutators. 

Another vote for Turkey Bowl and Naked Cup (with A/C of course).

(Also glad to see Comp Armor banned)

• eth0 likes this

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

1. Yes (i.e. we should also do that in EU servers). IDK we don't have TPG, but I guess it could be done during season but mostly in off-time.

2. Yes for mutators. Different mutators for fun and/or balance testing purpose.

3. Mainly themed cups, so 3 to 4 per years could be nice. Easter, Summer and Thanksgiving ?

What I've experience playing PT2 was that trying to Schedule stuff and gather teams for appointements could be difficult, I wish you to succeed !

If you Stream N/A cups I'll try to Watch :-) (eth0 URDABESS streamer)

Edited by (KDR) MomOw, 14 January 2016 - 10:13 AM.

• Meraple and eth0 like this

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

What I've experience playing PT2 was that trying to Schedule stuff and gather teams for appointements could be difficult, I wish you to succeed !

Unless of course you were to face off against either RATA or TBT.

That said, these 3v3 tournaments often go pretty smoothly so long as you allow for last minute ringers, often from disqualified teams. Just pick a six hour block during a day and have everyone get on TS, and then sort them into the appropriate games and channels.

Serve refreshments in the lobby.

As far as my interest is concerned, I want it to happen, but it is 99% likely I will not participate.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 14 January 2016 - 02:29 PM.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Friendly fire enabled, indicator disabled, ISM Mk.3 mandatory only item.

Good luck!

• Amidatelion and eth0 like this

oSpBaPA.png

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Friendly fire enabled, indicator disabled, ISM Mk.3 mandatory only item.

Good luck!

Friendly fire + togglevisor

• eth0, CraftyDus and Roarschak like this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Friendly fire + togglevisor

Now that so many teams are color coordinated this may not be so bad.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Now that so many teams are color coordinated this may not be so bad.

But... the bad is what makes it fun...

• M1lkshake likes this

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

But... the bad is what makes it fun...

Like 24 man DM. In test arena.
And bunker siege.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

DerMax: Ultra EdgeLord of the Nept-Kings

The Circle of Several Sabot approve

Here me out.

I like the idea of a 3v3 MA cup snake draft w/ 1 ban each team Best of 3. Where you only play 2 silos. Always play S2 and the team that didn't pick the map picks either S1 or S3. Home team can pick first map, Away team gets to pick the Silo. Away team picks second map, Home team picks the silo. Team that picked the map gets first ban, first pick. Triangle maps and Bazaar off limits. Tie-breaker is randomly selected for each series via random number generator.

Example of a map pick & mech draft:

Home team picks Origin

Away team picks S1

Teams can only cap S1 and S2

-Draft-

Home team bans Brawler

Away team bans Grenadier

HT - Assault

AT - Vanguard

HT - G2 Raider

AT - Berzerker

HT - Scout

AT - Sharpshooter

To me this would be a really exciting format that, in my opinion, would see some really interesting compositions played. 

1. Yes Yes Yes

2. There should be a variety.

3. Once a month would be nice if we can muster the numbers and keep it organized.

- I'd like to see this once a month because if we show a demand and a supply of community events like this. It is more likely that community centered                  features like spectator mode and more server mutator options will happen. 

• coldform, eth0 and CraftyDus like this

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
I've always enjoyed TPG draft cups.
Hawken might be bettered the way they mix people up, and the lack of 12 man culture over straight scrims would be fortified by one.
The bans on maps mechs seem a little sadistic,

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

lwY3QRd.jpg

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Like 24 man DM. In test arena.
And bunker siege.

Bunker siege isn't bad until teams get too big and stacks happen.

If we do a siege cup again I vote Bunker be added to the map pool.

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Bunker siege isn't bad until teams get too big and stacks happen.

If we do a siege cup again I vote Bunker be added to the map pool.

I agree and second this notion.

z6aJAX7.png?1

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Chatting in IRC about 3v3 mutators the idea came up to try banning hitscan entirely.

That would leave HEAT, EOC, Seeker, M4M4, REV-GL, and Redox available as primaries, with all secondaries except sabots and Vulcan-XT still allowed.

• PoopSlinger, eth0 and CraftyDus like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
Coop bot destruction
  • coldform likes this

lwY3QRd.jpg

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Chatting in IRC about 3v3 mutators the idea came up to try banning hitscan entirely.

That would leave HEAT, EOC, Seeker, M4M4, REV-GL, and Redox available as primaries, with all secondaries except sabots and Vulcan-XT still allowed.

And that throws BRRRRRRRRRRT's weapon choices right out the window.

z6aJAX7.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users