• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

This has been discussed quite a bit in the past, but not so much on the new forums in view of the new devs. Since I happen to have a convenient example to present I will would like to note again that revenge kills and nemesis kills are a bit unbalanced in deathmatch:

Spoiler

Maybe dial that back a hair when doing the next balance pass.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

This has been discussed quite a bit in the past, but not so much on the new forums in view of the new devs. Since I happen to have a convenient example to present I will would like to note again that revenge kills and nemesis kills are a bit unbalanced in deathmatch:

Spoiler

Maybe dial that back a hair when doing the next balance pass.

Come now, Hygs, 9-7 isn't a decisive beatdown, give yourself some credit.

But yes, devs, this. Also, maybe consider ditching Underdog Bonus in Deathmatch, if only to wipe the smug smiles off smurfs.

• The_Silencer likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

9-7 isn't a decisive beatdown

Damage ratio. I got out-shot almost to a steak dinner.

Edited by Hyginos, 24 February 2016 - 09:22 PM.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Damage ratio. I got out-shot almost to a steak dinner.

If you consider the fact that he was playing an a class and you were playing a b class the gap doesn't become too significant; In that situation the a class can usually be expected to be dishing out significantly more damage than it takes due to its health pool.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

You did more damage per life than melee did to you, because he seemed to have more effective health per life. On the other hand, his effective KD ratio is higher.

MATHS:

7 scouts = 2240. you dealt 4173, so melee had an effective 1.86 scouts per life, or 511 HP per life. you killed 13.02 scouts, skewed kd ratio of 0.86.

9 raiders = 4365, you took 7474, so you had an effective 1.71 raiders per life, or 830 HP per life. melee killed 15.39 raiders. skewed kd ratio of 1.15.

you had a measly 7 point lead because you scored more nemesis kills than he did?

he was your nemesis twice? what was the kill count per life?

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 24 February 2016 - 10:58 PM.

• WillyW likes this

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Also, maybe consider ditching Underdog Bonus in Deathmatch

• DeeRax likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

In a 1v1... isn't the opponent always your nemesis, like right from the start?

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

In a 1v1... isn't the opponent always your nemesis, like right from the start?

Not until they kill you three times without you killing them.

Scoring is pretty lame in 1v1 DM though.  I always thought points were the same whether you are killing an A class or a C class, regardless of damage done in a 1v1 (since you should be doing 100% and nobody is there to assist)?

Nemesis plus revenge kill ends up being a 50 point kill vs a 20 point kill without the bonuses.

Edited by (thc)_incitatus, 25 February 2016 - 07:36 AM.

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

MATHS:

7 scouts = 2240. you dealt 4173, so melee had an effective 1.86 scouts per life, or 511 HP per life. you killed 13.02 scouts, skewed kd ratio of 0.86.
9 raiders = 4365, you took 7474, so you had an effective 1.71 raiders per life, or 830 HP per life. melee killed 15.39 raiders. skewed kd ratio of 1.15.

I think its worth pointing out that the way you do your maths is reminiscent of mine. :thumbsup: Except you did the equivalent lives, instead of equivalent deaths.

Vanguard armor: 635
Damage Sustained: 7768
Deaths: 2

Damage absorbed:
= 7768-635(2)
= 6498

Deaths equivalent:
= 6498 / 635
= 10.23

Edited by WillyW, 25 February 2016 - 08:26 AM.

2XhpJes.png

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Beside the scoring (revenge / nemesis bonus, underdog bonus), the fact that you can join mid-game is also a bad point in DM.

That and players teaming, kill stealers, etc...

So IMHO we should keep only duels as ranked DM, and winning based on K/D ratio only, and keep open DM as "playground" without ranking (i.e. no MMR modification as CoopTDM and CoopBotDestruction).

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Just as side note:

Ranking in second or third position after the match might show some more friendly message to you on the screen. The actual message you see when you don't rank first is like.. pretty fustrating? Maybe man has played his DM of the year although ranked second "only".. within a populated DM match I'd say that at least the 3 guys on top of the ranking should see some new and more friendly message after completing the fight.

Just my 2 cents

• crockrocket likes this

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Just as side note:
Ranking in second or third position after the match might show some more friendly message to you on the screen. The actual message you see when you don't rank first is like.. pretty fustrating? Maybe man has played his DM of the year although ranked second "only".. within a populated DM match I'd say that at least the 3 guys on top of the ranking should see some new and more friendly message after completing the fight.

Just my 2 cents

I actually remember this feeling intensely from when I was new and it seriously turned me off Deathmatch until I joined a clan. Might be something worth looking into for new player retention.
  • CoshCaust and The_Silencer like this

spinningchurro

spinningchurro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

I actually remember this feeling intensely from when I was new and it seriously turned me off Deathmatch until I joined a clan. Might be something worth looking into for new player retention.

Naw screw that, keep it like it is.

"If you ain't first, you're last."

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Hey guy; easy, easy .. let me tell ya

1.- As amidatelion said, new players won't take or understand that much due to the unfriendly factor of the messages after a DM match.

2.- It has somehow a negative impact from an statistics standpoint.

3.- Does not incentivate pilots much when they join in a DM game which has already started..

4.- Many pilots may feel somehow confused and/or deceived for a number of many other reasons ...

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Hey guy; easy, easy .. let me tell ya

1.- As amidatelion said, new players won't take or understand that much due to the unfriendly factor of the messages after a DM match.

2.- It has somehow a negative impact from an statistics standpoint.

3.- Does not incentivate pilots much when they join in a DM game which has already started..

4.- Many pilots may feel somehow confused and/or deceived for a number of many other reasons ...

trophy-300x271-300x271.jpg

• phed, DeeRax and The_Silencer like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I'm sure you can agree though that it's surprising the first time you come 2nd in a dm. Most competitions award at least the first three positions. Also an easy change as far as coding goes, so why not?

• The_Silencer likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deathmatch, revenge kill, xp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users