Photo

Recommendations for Ease of Access (For New Recruits).

* * * * * 1 votes Recruits Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Hello!

It has been a mighty long time Illal, and I'm glad to be back. Since I left, I've wandered many different wastelands looking for a home half as good as you.

I failed.

Instead, I've only garnered new skills and abilities that once would have seemed nigh on impossible to posses. Between writing for multiple games, directing and acting in live-action videos, and working to fulfill my education, I can say it is nice to breathe in the hallucinogenic and poisonous air again.

This is my official first thread since my leaving, and I'd just like to use that for what it's worth, if you don't mind. I was greatly disappointed to see these forums go, and to watch this game slip toward oblivion, but with new owners and new life, I see only a bright future ahead. So please, let this be my humblest welcome to our new development team, and a gratuitous thank you to them as well. 

As a final thought, I will begin revising my old story 'Crion's Crucible', and turning it into the story it deserved to be. Please do keep an eye out for it, as this community often had, and hopefully will remain to have, the best constructive criticism out of any game I've ever written for.

Now, on to the suggestions:

To make any game easier for the newer ones, it's adherent to separate them from the more experienced ones. However, it's a very large issue in this game to allow them to purchase and use any mech they want. I.E. The Predator.

It isn't even arguable, it is the most difficult mech to use, with multiple walk-throughs and guides in order to get better with it, the mech is difficult. It is also my favorite, and I am willing to lose a thousand games to win ten in a row as the predator. But at a young rank, it's nearly impossible to use. And by nearly, I mean actually. New recruits in Predators are easy to spot, and are often the targets of any team who knows anything about Hawken.

I recommend blocking this mech until they reach a certain rank, make it less expensive, and more importantly, offer a refund should they really and truly need it. Paying money for a mech that you don't use is the worst feeling in the world(Cough, G2 Assault, Snipers...), and I'm talking in game credits, not Meteor funds. Meteor funds are a different beast, and I won't attempt to try and tell someone how to deal with real-fake money.

I've recommended this before, but I suppose all of those are gone now; A solid, more story driven, and longer walk through for the game. Having that time to wet your feet is incredibly important in any game. And it offers a chance to earn internals, rather than being given them and told go. When you purchase something with in game money, you have to grind for it. You appreciate the benefit of trading that experience for a benefit in their choice far more than any single thing given to you. I know, my CR-T has had and will forever have a 6.66 K/D ratio. (Because I'm the devil..?)

Detailed mech build up. Show the newer people what each mech does at some point, not just in test drives. The current system works, but having a small career mission that shows you what a mech or multiple mechs are good for will solidify a choice for a new pilot instantly.For example, send them off in an infiltrator to assassinate an AI behind a wall of Class C's, you can use current maps for that, and it even offers a chance for narrative (should the Dev team decide to make a story for Hawken, aside from the rat power plants.)

In depth video walk throughs would be nice, but that is a community project, and one that I will most likely take on myself. After I finally build up this gaming PC and server, I'll be able to produce videos and let's plays like I've wanted to since StarCraft. (Brood War Era, so ya, it's been a long time.) I'll try to get some out for the Assault mech, and Bruiser mechs soon, then work on two for the A's and C's, then finish the rest off later. Granted, there are currently a few dozen people capable of making these, and I would love to see more than just my videos as I'm partial to stealth mechs, which makes me hate Bruisers and Rocket fatties on a level of 'burning sun'.

In summary:
- Block the Predator mech until a certain rank (Determined by Dev team). The Infiltrator is easier to use and can actually be used (by newer pilots) in a close quarter fight, but may also be considered for such block.
- Consider refunds for mechs for a small period after in-game credit purchases.
- Offer small side missions for each mech as a test drive, rather than just test driving them in actual combat. 
- Consider making narrative driven tutorials if the Dev team will be making any form of single player/coop story mode.

Suggestion for Community:
-Begin working on in-depth walk-throughs of your favorite mechs. Show newer players tactics and abilities, as well was weapon sets and internals that will work best. By doing that, you'll easily allow for the newest members to join in and fight for the rights of Illal for whichever side they so choose. (Or are hired for. Pay is pay.)

Thanks for reading, and again I do look forward to seeing what this new dev team will do with Hawken. Life on Illal may not get better, but hey, the battles sure will.

• SandSpider2, Hijinks_The_Turtle and Black_Knight_Sky like this

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Well...

As a Pred Lover, I'd say not to ban it from being bought, but instead when the user tries to buy it for the first time warn them that it is a VERY HARD mech to get used to.

If they are still determined to buy it, point them in the direction of the ultimate pred guide so they at least have a vague idea what they're doing.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

What about introducing some sort of difficulty rating for each mech and including that in big bright red letters in the shop ? that way newer pilots would at least get a hint on what they are getting into.

(it would still be a bit inaccurate though, because these things vary from person to person, i personally consider any light mech harder to pilot than the predator, but that's just me)

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Black_Knight_Sky

Black_Knight_Sky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

- Consider refunds for mechs for a small period after in-game credit purchases.
- Offer small side missions for each mech as a test drive, rather than just test driving them in actual combat. 
- Consider making narrative driven tutorials if the Dev team will be making any form of single player/coop story mode.

I really like these parts, a lot.

dopual4fd3c.png

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

I like the level locking but I am not sure if that is really needed. I think possibly having a message stating "This mech is for level x. You are currently level y. You may still proceed to purchase this mech but may face a larger learning curve. Procced with caution.".

I think having that would help warn people of it and lessen the burden for the tech support. Also it gives them someting to strive for. Having a better tutorial is also a plus. I would also have some servers locked to certain mmr/rank. This will give those recruits a fighting chance.

I do understand that having servers locked to mmr/rank, smurfs will be coming in still pub stomping but this should resolve over time once more players come in.

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Well...

As a Pred Lover, I'd say not to ban it from being bought, but instead when the user tries to buy it for the first time warn them that it is a VERY HARD mech to get used to.

If they are still determined to buy it, point them in the direction of the ultimate pred guide so they at least have a vague idea what they're doing.

I can see that as a viability, but I'm not saying ban it entirely. I'm saying set a limit of rank to which you must reach in order to gain it. After that rank, you'll be able to purchase and play with any mech you'd like. It wouldn't be a solid 'No, you can't do this', it'd be more like a 'It is not recommended you use this AXE at this time. This is considered on many levels the most difficult AXE in Hawken. Please consider learning about the other mechs before attempting this one'.

I really like these parts, a lot.

I'm glad you do, as I've wanted that last bit for a long, long time.

I like the level locking but I am not sure if that is really needed. I think possibly having a message stating "This mech is for level x. You are currently level y. You may still proceed to purchase this mech but may face a larger learning curve. Procced with caution.".

I think having that would help warn people of it and lessen the burden for the tech support. Also it gives them someting to strive for. Having a better tutorial is also a plus. I would also have some servers locked to certain mmr/rank. This will give those recruits a fighting chance.

I do understand that having servers locked to mmr/rank, smurfs will be coming in still pub stomping but this should resolve over time once more players come in.

I understand I wasn't clear in the original description, and I do agree with you. However, it's becoming apparent to me how big of an issue just not having enough mechs at a young rank is. Not having a long range weapon set to deal with the Sharpshooter can hinder a player a lot in a match. Or not having a forward assault mech to take a point, or a fatty to hold it. The reason I would consider a lock, is due to the need for new players to gain a better understanding of the other mechs before attempting to hunt them all down.

I find it beneficial, but that's because I see how big an issue not having a variety of mechs is.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Recruits, Suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users