• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Remove the lockon, incoming sound for hellfires and I'm sure it would be a valuable idea. Of course it will have to do more than just effect hellfires, it will have to effect tow missiles also. You can't have an item that only messes with one specific type of mech. That is what we call balance.

i can see the TOW commercials now, "Do you suffer from premature detonation? 60% of assaults do"

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

i can see the TOW commercials now, "Do you suffer from premature detonation? 60% of assaults do"

Maybe it's because I got off of work or something but my mind isn't processing the meaning for what this has to do with my quote. But sure man, okay. :confused:

• DeeRax likes this

Hold on to the things you care about most, even if others see it as insignificant..If you can't be true to yourself, are you really living?

W4znwFO.jpg1sHSjPn.png1sHSjPn.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngbANk8SP.jpgMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngMLIZlEa.pngMLIZlEa.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.pngZVn3Cxy.png1sHSjPn.pngW4znwFO.jpg

TronX33

TronX33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

There are two types of people (well ok 3)

1) Those abusing hellfires because it is one of the few viable ways to counter a skilled scout pilot - and abusing it on open maps.

2) Those being abused by hellfires on open maps like bunker and bazaar (less so wreckage but I suppose in siege it can be abused)

3) Pilots being auto-locked through their cloak (cloak ought to prevent lock acquisition imo)

1) not abusing, as you said, countering a scout. Yes, it's easy in an Assault, zerker, or generally and sustain mech. But in a Burst mech? Ok, bye-bye

2)Yeah, that is a problem

3), also agree to this one.

On topic: I agree with what others have said. This will please the noobs, and not affect hellfires in higher skill lobbies

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Having cloaked mechs get hit with the locking isn't a "problem". Just because something is visibly invisible doesn't mean there's no way for anything to track it.

• JackVandal likes this

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

If hellfire missiles reverted back to pre-nerf, yeah, I could live with flares.

DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

There are two types of people (well ok 3)

1) Those abusing hellfires because it is one of the few viable ways to counter a skilled scout pilot - and abusing it on open maps.

2) Those being abused by hellfires on open maps like bunker and bazaar (less so wreckage but I suppose in siege it can be abused)

3) Pilots being auto-locked through their cloak (cloak ought to prevent lock acquisition imo)

Anything that abuses a Scout or any of their other little buddies,  is fine with me..... :wink:

*+

Just Relax....and take life one game at a time....

Don't run to your death....walk

th_Duckman.jpg   th_82c0a97c-98de-4aac-be47-05e5e099be80.

*+

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

If hellfire missiles reverted back to pre-nerf, yeah, I could live with flares.

They still sucked back then too.

• Onstrava and nepacaka like this

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

it is a bad idea because it counter only two mech, and only one weapon. why? we have a 17 mech in game, and this item working only on 2. i don't think it is really good.

actually, i say, like always, problem in Seeker!
when you play against 3 rocketeers on LostEco, you die because seeker. not HF. if you play against 3 Bruiser, this not happens. because Bruiser don't have a Seeker...

better think about sabot and slug rifles, because these guns have 0 spread. 0 spread... hitscan with maximal damage on 300 m range, dont have any spread... don't have a falloff damage... and you can't dodge it. never... :P

Edited by nepacaka, 11 September 2015 - 01:02 PM.

• DieselCat likes this

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Seeking weapons are a problem to balance anyway. It takes a lot of attention to get it between useless and op.

Dnyarri

Dnyarri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I don't think everyone fully thought this idea through.

Right now lock ons are difficult to buff in my opinion. They are a very low skill ceiling weapon in a game which promotes high skill ceiling play. By creating counters to it you effectively raise the skill ceiling which gives room to buff the weapons. Right now in high level play they aren't terribly effective and in low level play they can stomp. By buffing other aspects of the weapon but making it counterable you can reduce the stomp effect on low skill players and possibly give it a boost in high level play.

Now if the flare idea isn't viable what about a deployable anti missile turret(tries to shoot down incoming missiles, not 100% effective)? This makes the counter counterable by the other team(just destroy it like all others), promotes a bit of skill in proper positioning of it, and doesn't completely cripple a Rockateer trying to kill someone with it(or they are stuck in 1 area).

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

And to that I must ask: leaving aside buffing the weapon (which is kinda outside the scope of the OP), how would giving a weapon an additional specific counter (since Hellfires already can be fooled by holograms) give the Hellfires a higher skill ceiling in such a way that it becomes more viable?

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are new at a game you don't know about how effective X is in most situations. You don't have to play in high level matches to learn how to properly deal with Hellfires. That is not to say the low level guys should be ignored, just that if there is a bunch of people who are saying that X weapon is not as useful as others then that must be considered as well.

Second, as mentioned there are already counters for the weapon. Not only the usual weapon counters (cover, shields, dodging them, which is not as hard to do as other weapons), but also the fact that they aren't great up close and the lockon can work on holograms and turrets as well. Also it is the only weapon which warns the player of an incoming shot.when locked on..

I don't agree with anti-missile turrets for the same reasons I don't want flares, it's another weapon specific counter that has no use for anything other than making a specific weapon less useful. It is otherwise useless if there aren't any nearby Bruisers or Rocketeers.

Furthermore, why should the solution to an issue like this be to buff the weapon but give it another counter? Seems more counter productive than anything.

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

I don't think everyone fully thought this idea through.

Right now lock ons are difficult to buff in my opinion. They are a very low skill ceiling weapon in a game which promotes high skill ceiling play. By creating counters to it you effectively raise the skill ceiling which gives room to buff the weapons. Right now in high level play they aren't terribly effective and in low level play they can stomp. By buffing other aspects of the weapon but making it counterable you can reduce the stomp effect on low skill players and possibly give it a boost in high level play.

So your suggesting that if the flare item actually existed, you can buff hellfires? Let's think about that idea through. You want people to equip an item (that is completely useless outside of hellfires) in slots that are used for items with a general use in order to allow Hellfires to have a passive, always functioning, buff. Seems legit.

I'm not sure that Shift+A/D is catagorized as high skill ceiling play. If so then we really do need a better tutorial.

Edited by Sylhiri, 13 September 2015 - 11:31 AM.

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Maybe it's because I got off of work or something but my mind isn't processing the meaning for what this has to do with my quote. But sure man, okay. :confused:

i was getting at if flares also detonated tows that pass near them it wouldn't be stopping just hellfire mechs, not just countering hellfires but also tows and GLs.

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts
Actually, from realistic pov, flares can't save from tow and gl. Flares can save from rocket which guided by airplane engine heat.
HF missiles guided by computer. HF guided on concrete target, it not depend from high temperature.
So, flares also have mistake in logic. Because HF working on another guided system.
:P

Also, HF rocket design actually look like a cluster bomb, it is not a rocket at all :D

Edited by nepacaka, 13 September 2015 - 08:58 PM.

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Yeah, Nepa is right. Flares shouldn't, by any means, effect non guided weapons by causing early detonation. The concept of flares in this context is to distracted guided weaponry, generally by means of simulating high heat.

And since the HF doesn't actually target by heat, but a specific target, then flares shouldn't technically work. So the best thing to do is to interrupt the lockon in some way. And in that case the HF doesn't *need* an additional counter item. You have walls, shields, meat-metal shields, turrets, and Holograms to defend against them.

• DeeRax likes this

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Yeah, Nepa is right. Flares shouldn't, by any means, effect non guided weapons by causing early detonation. The concept of flares in this context is to distracted guided weaponry, generally by means of simulating high heat.

And since the HF doesn't actually target by heat, but a specific target, then flares shouldn't technically work. So the best thing to do is to interrupt the lockon in some way. And in that case the HF doesn't *need* an additional counter item. You have walls, shields, meat-metal shields, turrets, and Holograms to defend against them.

In my humble opinion, HFs should be the same way they actually are right now.

Flares as one new balanced item might be pretty interesting as well as be a good value and addition to the meta game. If such an item servers to misguide a limited number of HF missiles per salvo then something like this would not look so bad to me.

Obviously, this would be an option working better on certain maps and not so well on other scenearios. It's possible and decently implemented in the game.

P.S. Not everyone is mastering how to dodge HFs during a match nor piloting A class meches all time. Right?.

Just my 2 cents.

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Hellfires were the best in closed beta. They were niche long-range-only assault weapons that worked their specialization so well, users could only blame themselves for not being effective with them. Funny thing is, they worked because they were broken and buggy. Here's how they worked:

Short range - You're a free kill. Initial missile spread is so large and lock-on mid-flight correction is so slow, most missiles crash into the terrain before even getting close to the enemy.

Medium range - Some missiles lock on. Other missiles bug out and fly into space. Supplemental damage at best.

Long range - All missiles fly straight and true. Huge damage. 50% of a B's max health huge. Not even Sharpshooters could win a long-range damage race against Hellfires.

Hellfires today seem like they're trying to fit an all-around role. Which I do not think will ever work, given the too-powerful mechanic of auto-aim.

Edited by HugeGuts, 15 October 2015 - 08:47 AM.

BIsmuthZornisse

BIsmuthZornisse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

What would probably help dodging the hellfires would be a sound for the targeted mech to indicate the timeframe in which they can be dodged. Would especially help when the missiles arent in the targets field of view.

I have a lot of ideas and would like some feedback on them:

Suggestions for fixing things:

https://community.pl...of-suggestions/

Suggestions for new things:

https://community.pl...for-new-things/

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Yeah, just make the beeping get faster or higher pitched as they get closer.  That would really alleviate most concerns.

But the HF's still should get tweaked a little so they track just a tad better.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Well, the tracking is not so bad atm, except when some missiles just fail to track or just wander off, with the already pitiful damage those dont help, i think a beeping speed increase isn't so bad, though i think the real place they need help is with the dumb-fire, or to return to the older long range specialty, as right now, they are worthless in cqc, decent at mid, and outclassed at long range.

-M1lkshake

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Items, weapons, mechs, suggestions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users