PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

How about..

making Orbs explosive.

Somebody want to orblord like a jerk.  Throw a tow into his orb pile and BOOOOOMM he gone.

It would balance the effect of orbs somewhat? maybe.  People could try and orblord mid fight if they want, but they would have to watch out.  Orbs would give whoever won a fight or got a wipe a complete freebie and take away the orbs as being a chance to take a fight back.

But we could then say "What the orbs giveth, the orbs taketh away."

• coldform, Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous and 12 others like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

fake exploding mimic orbs are an essential item that will balance the game in a ll the best ways

• coldform, Kindos7 and DeeRax like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

asipo

asipo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

i like

Join Hawken asia Facebook group : here

Mech idea : Marauder (B-class), Raptor (A-class)

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

It will fit great with my Hoot cannon grenadier.

• crockrocket, LaurenEmily, Rainbow_Sheep and 2 others like this

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I honestly think Poops is on to something here.

Orbs heal... until someone shoots them a bit, then they explode and cause damage equivalent to what health they have left.  Would need only a moderate damage radius too.

Nice one!

Edited by StubbornPuppet, 19 April 2016 - 09:43 AM.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I honestly think Money is on to something here.

These are different people.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Arkhaun

Arkhaun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

How about..

making Orbs explosive.

Somebody want to orblord like a jerk.  Throw a tow into his orb pile and BOOOOOMM he gone.

It would balance the effect of orbs somewhat? maybe.  People could try and orblord mid fight if they want, but they would have to watch out.  Orbs would give whoever won a fight or got a wipe a complete freebie and take away the orbs as being a chance to take a fight back.

well they are fuel aren't they?

make em at least do light bonus dmg like 25 and have it flash out like gunpowder

SORRY CAPS

170323-R9tPRfBFIQ79.jpg

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Careful. If you introduce something resembling a shock combo Nept might come back.

Although, since orbs already take a second to give heals, maybe make them play a little spiral downward animation during which they can be shot to detonate them. Sounds like fun.

Edited by Hyginos, 19 April 2016 - 09:19 AM.

• Arkhaun likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

There you go, they have to be supplying health and the trails of explosive yellow crap between the orb and mech is what chain reactions the explosion.  Lore done.

• SandSpider2 and OdinTheWise like this

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

54090232.jpg

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Just remove orbs. Please. 

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Seriously? Exploding Orbs? I would never go with my team again. They might drop those when they die next to me. Or I might. No Sir, I am  already enough thread to my team. Don't want to be the one dropping bombs in the middle of them. You can't be serious.

• Guns_N_Rozer likes this

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

KDR Veteran Member / KDR Server Administrator

Spoiler

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

reduce the HP on orb and repair time 

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Jokes apart "fake orbs" items that poison mechs, and for example, making the heat item destroy orbs could be fun and somewhat balanced.

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Wasn't this a suggestion back in 2013?

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Most of the hawken veterans would agree that the main issue with orblording was the ability to tank damage from like 3 people while still fighting.  This would almost completely neutralize that.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Seriously? Exploding Orbs? I would never go with my team again. They might drop those when they die next to me. Or I might. No Sir, I am  already enough thread to my team. Don't want to be the one dropping bombs in the middle of them. You can't be serious.

2UX2w3C.jpg
I'M AFRAID HE'S QUITE, SERIOUS.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Most of the hawken veterans would agree that the main issue with orblording was the ability to tank damage from like 3 people while still fighting.  This would almost completely neutralize that.

Simply removing Orbs from the game would neutralize that even more.

Seriously. 

What about exploding scanners?

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

KDR Veteran Member / KDR Server Administrator

Spoiler

Sokram

Sokram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

I think they should just have hp (equal to what they restore) and be destroyable.   Coz to orblord you need to place few of them relatively close to each other....Means one tow shot will most likely kill em all simultaneously.  

Making orbs explosive will make em extreemely annoying in Deathmatch.  Your friend dies and drops orb that then gets shot by enemy TOW and blows you up. Do you even think before you post that kind of sht? 

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Simply removing Orbs from the game would neutralize that even more.

Seriously. 

What about exploding scanners?

This could work, except they should explode as soon as you deploy them and do a bunch of damage to your mech.

Sorry, I meant "when you deploy with them" they explode and do a bunch of damage. Spawning with scanners should just instantly kill you.

fuzzy bunny scanners.

Edited by Hyginos, 20 April 2016 - 09:02 AM.

• hellc9943, KarlSchlag, CraftyDus and 1 other like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

I think they should just have hp (equal to what they restore) and be destroyable.   Coz to orblord you need to place few of them relatively close to each other....Means one tow shot will most likely kill em all simultaneously.  

Making orbs explosive will make em extreemely annoying in Deathmatch.  Your friend dies and drops orb that then gets shot by enemy TOW and blows you up. Do you even think before you post that kind of sht? 

It's a good point.

But I think this still works.  You just have to accept that the old meta of rushing to stand on top of the mechs you've just destroyed is no longer a 'no-brainer' decision - it's now a risky decision.   This is a risk vs. reward type of feature - one that requires players to observe their surroundings and enemies and decide if it's a good idea.

And if you are still concerned about those times when someone happens to die right on top of you, it could be set that the orbs don't become destructible for 4 seconds... just like you can't get health from them for 4 seconds after they are dropped.

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

My suggestion is that only repair charges explode. Remove death-orbs altogether. The explosion only deals as much damage as is remaining to be healed at its center point, and the blast radius effect reduces the damage proportionally. It would be basically the same as EOC mines. I also think Extractor/Repair Kit receive double the damage of a repair charge explosion. Orblord will still happen as normal, but it will be more risky.

Maybe we should just make every dropped item explosive. Like scanners, scramblers, and turrets?

Edited by WillyW, 20 April 2016 - 12:03 PM.

2XhpJes.png

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I'd support having an anti-repair charge. Like a heat charge, you toss it down as area denial.

It can neutralize any orbs in its radius and reduce repair speed by a huge % within it's radius of effect.

Would be good in AA on siege. With all the mechs killed, there can be a heap of orbs littering the AA, and preventing effective repairing would assist in ousting the defending team from the AA.

I think it is a reasonable countering item, and we should be looking at countering items rather than making them explode because we don't like people using them. Otherwise people will next say bullets keep taking my health, can we like stop that? Bullets are OP. Remove bullets from the game; Give everyone whiffle-bats instead, we need more melee. Then they'll want to be able to throw exploding whiffle-bats. Then they'll want a gun that launches exploding-whiffle-bats. Then they'll want exploding whiffle-bat-launchers because exploding-whiffle-bat launchers are OP.

ie: Hate scanners? Equip a 3 slot internal that prevents you appearing on scanners unless you shoot/boost.

Hate someone sitting on multiple repair orbs and charges? Drop an anti-repair charge to neutralize them.

Hate a C tanking with a pocket tech? Kite them through an anti-repairing zone.

If you're about to die, drop an anti-repair to prevent them getting heals from your death orb.

Too Many EMPs? equip a 2 slot internal to reduce EMP effect by 50%.

Hate turrets? Turret hacker item that flys like a det only faster, hacks enemy turret to swap to your team.

Give private servers options like no death orbs, no scanners, no repair charges, reduced repair rate, etc. Private servers need to justify their cost with features not available on public servers.

PoopSnuggler might call me a jerk cos I have an orb-lord build, but he can go eat a pound of salt.

Edited by 6ixxer, 21 April 2016 - 02:29 AM.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
Holotaunts... now those should explode. Just drop them on orbs. Win-win.
Would be fun to see people alpha striking with EOC, nade, HE/Det and a Holo... LOL the new meta.
New item HSM: Like an ISM but blinds mechs with an obnoxious holo inside their blinded mech.

ATX22

ATX22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

How about..

making Orbs explosive.

LOL, that would definitely make people think twice about orblording or sitting on death orbs in the middle of a fight.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

To ge entirely honest, I think this would be awful. I'm in favor of nerfing orblord as much as the next guy, but this is a bad way to do it. Orbs aren't conceptually broken, they're just too strong as is, same for orblord internals. Play with the numbers until they're more balanced, don't try and fundamentally change the gameplay with some wacky new concept like this.

I assume you're joking poop, but given that plenty of replies were serious I figured I'd chime in.

• 6ixxer likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Sokram

Sokram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

So we need Hawken version of Lloyd's talisman, huh?

[Heal disruptor]

Its a throwable item that prevents armor restore for all who were hit by its explosion for few seconds.

• DeeRax likes this

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

Holotaunts... now those should explode. Just drop them on orbs. Win-win.Would be fun to see people alpha striking with EOC, nade, HE/Det and a Holo... LOL the new meta.New item HSM: Like an ISM but blinds mechs with an obnoxious holo inside their blinded mech.

What about giving mechs that have the "HSM" a melee attack where they jam a holo into the enemy mech's cockpit.

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

To ge entirely honest, I think this would be awful. I'm in favor of nerfing orblord as much as the next guy, but this is a bad way to do it. Orbs aren't conceptually broken, they're just too strong as is, same for orblord internals. Play with the numbers until they're more balanced, don't try and fundamentally change the gameplay with some wacky new concept like this.

I assume you're joking poop, but given that plenty of replies were serious I figured I'd chime in.

I'm not sure he's joking... and I'm still feeling like there's something useful in this suggestion.

Just like you say, "Orbs aren't conceptually broken..."   So, with the concept being sound, they need something that offsets the potential "Orblord" meta - which I admit that I use (because I kinda have to in order to stay competitive).

Playing with the numbers has never proven to be any more or less effective that adding or taking away elements of game-play.  Sure, it's easier to do... but let's remember the shield for a moment: that was fundamentally changed, like a lot, and it ultimately worked out very, very well in the end.  Many people were against the idea and even yelled about it in the first couple of days following the change - but I don't think there's a player out there who would now argue that shields should go back to where players could shoot out from inside them.

• DeeRax likes this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Orbs are broken.  This would go a long way to fixing them and making the game more interesting.

• DeeRax likes this

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

I'd rather try and fundamentally change the gameplay with some wacky new concept than try and endlessly balance & re-balance an aspect of the game that is inherently broken and boring. :sweat:

Even if orbs are eventually perfectly balanced, they will never not be boring.
Items that can help and hurt you at the same time are fun.
Exploding orbs would be fun.
(Icing on the cake: It makes sense lore-wise too).

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Sokram

Sokram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Just remember that repair drones and Helix torch use same kind of yellow stuff that those ORBS.   If orbs gonna be explosive...Then healing beam and drones also should blow up like crazy when shot.

Otherwise it will not be lorefriendly.

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Just remember that repair drones and Helix torch use same kind of yellow stuff that those ORBS.   If orbs gonna be explosive...Then healing beam and drones also should blow up like crazy when shot.

Otherwise it will not be lorefriendly.

Healing beam can turn into vampire beam, so it already has the flip-side built in. Done.
Drones repair "conventionally," (In different ways depending on the drone, i.e. arc welders, blow torches, lasers, whatever), and so would not be effected, and are fine as is.

I mean, if you wanna talk 'lore.' (I don't care about it that much TBH).

Edited by (TDM) DeeRax, 22 April 2016 - 03:14 PM.

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Orbs that deal damage when shot enough is a really interesting concept. What if detonated orbs did things other than apply damage? Or they could still apply damage, but they also do other things.

Consider debuffs. "Any mech caught within the detonation radius will have their [insert debuff here] by X percent for Y seconds." Some examples:

• Damage received increased
  • Healing rate reduced
  • Decrease run / walk speed

Alternatively, you can apply an effect(s).  "Any mech within the detonation radius will have [insert effect here] applied for Y seconds." Instead of / in addition to applying damage, think about any combination of the following:

• the ISM effect (with a shorter duration than the ISM item)
  • the heat mine effect (but it applies 25-50% of a mech's total mech's heat capacity, and it's done over a ~1 second duration while standing within the radius of the detonation)
  • Deplete 50% of total fuel

Maybe orbs don't do any of those things as an instant application, but instead they leave an area of effect hazard that applies some effect/debuff while someone is standing in the hazard area. Visually, that could look like the orb collapses and it starts arcing something nasty in a ball-like fury around it. Someone steps within it and they have an ISM effect applied, or their heat goes up, or they get debuffs, whatever. Then you get situations where hot spots for combat turn into areas with hazards. The fight around you could evolve beyond just another player appearing - maybe that orb you are running towards in a hallway entrance gets sniped before you can get there, and now you have to consider what's going to happen if you travel through that hazard. Maybe the hazard's lifespan is long, or it's short, or it can be extended if you shoot into the collapsed orb.

Mmmmmm.

Edited by TheButtSatisfier, 22 April 2016 - 05:03 PM.

• StubbornPuppet and DeeRax like this

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: orblord, orbs, heals, explosions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users