• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

I just recently was notified of the death of Brandt "bkcat" Hatch.  He drowned while swimming across a river during a camping trip, which comes as a real shock since he was an avid outdoorsman.

Brandt was a true die-hard Hawken fan, making amazing lego replicas and drawings of many mechs.  Good-natured, friendly, funny, talented, you could call him many positive things, but you would struggle to find something negative about him.  Seeing him improve in the game and getting to play with him as a teammate was a great experience.  I'm glad to have been his friend.

Currently there is a request for footage of Brandt in Hawken, as his friend has suggested a montage to be created in memoriam.  If you have any you would like to share, please message me on here, Steam, or IRC.  You can also donate to the family through this GoFundMe.

Stay well, friends.

• Draigun, Robscancer, LEmental and 46 others like this

oSpBaPA.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I wish I'd known him better, but in my experience, the guy was a decent human being. No ego to speak of, just a down to Earth player pursuing his passions. I'd like to request that in the interest of respect for the community members close to him, we all tone down the forum hostilities for a day or two.

It may not impact the game as much as some of the recent changes to it, but to me, and I know to a lot of the people here, the best part of this game is and has always been the people that play it - the community. In my mind, the loss of a member of our community is more significant to my experience than any patch. If the game passes, it does, but because of bkcat and people like him, Hawken will always be one of the greatest examples of what a stupid few lines of code can really be capable of. He was a part of this community.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 01 July 2016 - 07:25 PM.

• coldform, Guns_N_Rozer, Silverfire and 8 others like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Shade__

Shade__

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

I'd like to request that in the interest of respect for the community members close to him, we all tone down the forum hostilities for a day or two.

Sounds good, I hardly knew him seemed nice tho sucks how the good die young.

,d88b.d88b,
`Y8888888Y'
`Y888Y' 
`Y

-Shade__

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

what the actual fuzzy bunny

edit: might have some footage, i doubt i could find it tho

Edited by ArchMech, 01 July 2016 - 07:15 PM.

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
This hits close to home. BK will always remain one of my favorite hawken players. I remember during the silence when west coast would struggle to get into a server together and bk would have to get in last cuz he had the best mmr. And he was always a good sport about it. He will be missed.

Rest in peace pilot
  • Merl61, 7ucky and Badtings like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

This hit me like a freight train man. Honestly kinda just at a loss for words right now. He will be missed. Just....damn. It's tough.  Hawken lost one of its best. Stay safe out there guys. 

Rest in peace BK. GGs. 

Here's his Steam Art Gallery http://steamcommunit...4778275/images/

Edited by Lil Wizzy, 01 July 2016 - 07:26 PM.

• crockrocket, Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous and 5 others like this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

RIP BKCat man..good kid.

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

You know I've always been pretty detached to the deaths of people I never got to know well but this makes me very sad.

I don't know if they will see it but I send my condolences to his friends and family both in hawken and outside. 

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
Sad news, Bkcat was a fantastic player and an awesome person and will be sorely missed.

For better or for worse, he stuck to this game and stuck with the community. This game, regardless of what it becomes, fostered a strong, tight-knit community and BKcat was a part of it. One of us forever.

Honored to have known him and played with him in TPG, in pubs, and at events.

Edited by Silverfire, 01 July 2016 - 08:04 PM.

• Draigun, XPloyt, Guns_N_Rozer and 3 others like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Awful news :(

8CyRDl7.gifGYM1W9I.png

KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

This is not the kind of thing you expect to read on a Friday night let alone any time when signing onto Hawken's forums.

Can't imagine what his friends and family must be going through right now. Wish I could do more than offer my sympathy and kind words. You'll be missed bkcat and deserved far better than this.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Thanks for posting, Thirdeye. 

Best I could tell, bkcat was an obviously good guy: friendly, hardworking, polite, and a constant presence in community events.  Always tough to lose someone like that - and much more so for those who knew him well.  My condolences.

And a couple messages from our banned friends:

OdinTheWise:

bk was a great friend and a great player, glad i knew him for the short time i did

Crafty:

I am so sorry.
Brandt was apart from being a genuine talent in art and sculpture, a keen intellect with the mind of a born engineer.
 I can remembering him as a consistently solid player on the THC roster who worked very hard to improve. Through dedication and practice he eventually earned the opportunity to take a regular match from the best players in Hawken.
Spoiler

Anyone who played with him will tell you, they were better for having him on their side.
He was a real good nerd.

Edited by Nept: Ultra Lord of the God-Kings, 01 July 2016 - 07:57 PM.

Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Just after i watched Final Destination 5, i visit the Hawken forums to see this sad post.

It's very sad to read this.

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAWKEN ---> hawken ---> hawken ---> RIP 2017

Hawken gameplay and funky fragmontages: Hawken playlist

Buy Free Mechs for 1234 $, NO SCAM, Babaji Approves

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Sad news, Bkcat was a fantastic player and an awesome person and will be sorely missed.

For better or for worse, he stuck to this game and stuck with the community. This game, regardless of what it becomes, fostered a strong, tight-knit community and BKcat was a part of it. One of us forever.

Real Talk. Very surreal and tragic.

Of the little things I do remember of players and their antics, it was always nice to see his name in the lobby. Good sport. Never a sore loser, and always seemed to get his vengeance. He wasn't a player you could manage to stomp, because he always had the fiery passion to get his revenge. Yeah, he'll be missed.

What a way to go out, man. So young too...I hope I never meet that same fate. R.I.P. bkcat1

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
This is a loss. My condolences to his family, as someone who has lost a lot of loved ones it f'ing sucks and not much to make it better but time. At least he will always live on in the hawken hall of fame to us that will remember.
  • DemitronPrime likes this

wmmoney.png

TheButtSatisfier

TheButtSatisfier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Man, that's terrible. My condolences. BK was always a pleasure to interact with.

8) Tech in the streets, Brawler in the sheets (8

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

I liked bk, even though I rarely spoke with him on ts. 

Requesat in pace, pilot.

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

wolfrock

wolfrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

The loss of a child is devastating. Nobody should ever have to go through something like this, but I hope bkcat's family has the support they need to get them through the tough times ahead.

It has been a terrible time for so many people lately, so I urge you all to take the time to help your friends and neighbours whenever you can.

G2R is viable.

BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Just found out about this while playing a match, totally killed my mood to play... This sucks. I wasn't terribly close to him but he was one of my favorites in the community, especially as a fellow artist and Lego enthusiast. He will be missed. :(

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

very sad indeed...

rest easy pilot, you served with honor and distinction

13595569_1337927712888884_1827992956_n.g

Edited by -TDM- Demitron-Prime, 01 July 2016 - 08:44 PM.

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

LadyTiggs

LadyTiggs

Super Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

It's so sad and tragic.  RIP 

• Nept, Guns_N_Rozer and Zebanchi like this

~~Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup!!~~

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Made a donation just now. It's tragic to have someone you care about just disappear the next day. My condolences to everyone and anyone affected.

o7

• Nept, Guns_N_Rozer and Zebanchi like this

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I am so shocked by this. It's just so hard to accept with his skills, but as we know, rivers can do unexpected things. I know this is hard on his family because it would be hard on me if it was mine. He was a good dude and I had many a great match with him. He was a straight up guy, no BS. Played by the rules and had fun. The game just became a little less without him. I am pretty bummed out now. Too many good ones gone. Thanks for the matches bro.

• wolfrock and DemitronPrime like this

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Not cool man.

Zdragow

Zdragow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Only got the chance to interact with him when the whole league thing was starting out. He was a cool dude. For as inactive as I am here, I'm glad I at least got the chance to play with him.

Rest in peace, bk.

• Hijinks_The_Turtle likes this

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

When one of my friends pass away, I've found it helpful to share bits of why I (and others) appreciated them, or stories that we fondly remember. I encourage all of you that were moved by him to do the same.

I don't really have any stories to share about bkcat. He was a very humble/quiet person. I had the pleasure of being on his team. Hawken was really the only means that we interacted but Hawken is also a game that meant a lot to both of us. He was a real treat to play with. One of the harder pilots to take down. Really, bk was one of the most consistent players. If he got destroy, it was for a good reason. A team player, never a show off. I couldn't ask for a better teammate.

fuzzy bunnyng fuzzy bunny

Tragedies like this really makes me appreciate the time I spend with others. Each moment is precious.

vS3dpKN.png

Edited by LEmental, 02 July 2016 - 01:12 AM.

• Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous, Merl61 and 3 others like this

hkn_sign_lgbt_by_neraste-d8oyzga.png

Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Rest in peace Brandt "bkcat" Hatch, must your name be remembered by family and friends until ages pass. 

• Hijinks_The_Turtle likes this

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero
v9KKbH9.png
Spoiler

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

It's a terrible day for rain. 

Rest in peace, bkcat. You will live on in our hearts. 

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

Ashfire908

Ashfire908

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
:(

Rest in peace, bkcat.
Creator of ScrimBot and other community tools.

[kloeri] And we're done for now with all the rebooting.. except for a single server that will be rebooted when it's done pretending it's a tree.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
I never really talked to him outside of matches, but I watched him develop as a player and considered him to be part of the second wave of truly exceptional pilots. He seemed to have a certain admiration for my play at least earlier on, so I feel he would've liked to have heard that. But despite how much time and effort some of us have invested, Hawken is just a game, and I don't think his skill at it should be one of the main things he's remembered for.

From when I did speak to him though, he struck me as a genuinely nice and intelligent guy. I can't think of a single negative thing to say about him out of all the times I saw him, and he was always humble in his wins and took his losses gracefully. I'm sure that good sportsmanship translated into other aspects of his life as well. It's a shame that someone with such a promising future had to go so young and in such a tragic way.

Rest in peace man. You'll certainly be remembered here and elsewhere.

Edited by Brumbpo Tungus, 02 July 2016 - 07:21 AM.

• dorobo, ticklemyiguana, Nov8tr and 1 other like this

d1eZeG3.png

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
Oh crud, I just logged on to post something here. It's quite a shame to see a wonderfully creative individual leave. I never really interacted with him much in terms of playing Hawken, as I mostly stayed in the arts & media side, but I know he was in TPG and all that cool jazz. But what I can say is that I aspired to be a better person in-game like him.

Anyway, I enjoyed all the Lego builds he made. A lot of them were just down right amazing. As from one Lego enthusiast to another, his builds really showed how imaginative he was in figuring out how to make the mechs look as they did and am saddened to see that spark go. Rest in peace bkcat.

ThereIsOnlyOne

ThereIsOnlyOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hail the fallen pilot.

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Saw the RIP line on hawken TS.  another wonderful person logs off of Hawken forever. so, so sad.

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

From Amid:

I didn't get to speak with him much, but I did play against him a lot. A part of me doesn't believe I won't get to ever again.

It was a privilege to learn from him and a joy to spend time with him in this game we love.

Hail the fallen pilot.

hoghead

hoghead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Sorry to hear.  Its been a tragic month.

SparkyJJC

SparkyJJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
I did not know bkcat too well, but reading this and all of the condolences, it's just hard to resist tearing up a little. I wish I had more to say, but it is hard to put something like this into words.

Rest in peace, bkcat. You will live on on our hearts.

AXgnWyr.png

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

That's a shame.  From his lego creations, it's evident that he had artistic talent.  He was also a very respectable player.  I never witnessed him mouth off or try to blame his team for poor performance.  Great guy; he'll be missed.  

At least he won't be around to see his favorite game go to fuzzy bunny.  

M1lkshake

M1lkshake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I didn't know him very well, and I almost never spoke with him. All I remember is that whenever he was on an opposing team, I would always be a little bit on edge. He was always a threat.

"How do you avoid these cognitive biases? First, be aware of them. Recognize that we're all susceptible. Second, reconsider your first instinct whenever you've performed poorly. Often, these first thoughts revolve around preserving self-esteem and distancing yourself from responsibility. Always consider poor performances your fault, as that places them within your realm of control." - Nept

The Automatic Mustangs

TPG Master Thread <-- Interested in competitive Hawken? See here.

Credit for the Automatic Mustang logo goes to Breadeffect.

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Dang

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

RUHmfuU.gif

• Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous, Zdragow and 9 others like this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users