HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New PC Gamer article: Hawken co-founder talks eSports, missing server browsers, clan support and big Beta fixes

Beta Community Interview News Game Press Website

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:16 PM

http://www.pcgamer.c...d-clan-support/

A few comments I thought of as I was reading it...

...we’re constantly tweaking, testing, and listening to community feedback. The players have the power to add or improve things and help shape the game, which I think they like.
Very much so, it's refreshing to actually find a developer and publisher that actually listens to the players, much less posts in the forums!

The counter-measures we have now are a first pass at a mechanic we hope to make a lot of improvements to. We’re testing them out and will make changes according to the feedback we get from players. Regarding pay-to-win, all the counter-measures are available through Hawken Credits which are earned in-game at no cost.
*looks at the cost, looks at the MC only HC booster, coughs*

Yes, I’d say we’re exploring the possibility of melee weapons, but in a controlled way that fits into the Hawken universe. We wouldn’t want to see every mech running around punching or swinging swords at each other, or have a long-range sniper class staying in close to melee. I’d like to see specialized mech classes or balanced weapons that incorporate melee, but at the cost of ranged attacks or something along those lines.
While I applaud the note of not wanting to see mechs running around with swords, overall, no, just please no.  The technician mech, which has been brought up previously, is questionable as is.

...but player-created custom designs are a little harder to implement. At the moment I think it would require too much oversight on our end, to avoid offensive material. Contests where player designs get elected and promoted by the community might be a good way to incorporate that though.
Or, for a starting point, how about having the player-uploaded decal be the same one that is used for our forum avatar_  There is already some kind of vetting process, being publicly viewable, so I would think it would be the 'safest' option to start with.

Thoughts on the article_

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#2 Disparity

Disparity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hearing about spectator mode and tournament support makes me happy. Watching future tournaments should be very exciting.

#3 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:35 PM

Are you looking to implement a server browser, or a more effective matchmaking system to balance sessions_
Yes! We do currently have a matchmaking system in place, and it was just recently updated to be more effective. The matchmaking will be constantly improved on as part of our Beta process. In fact, we intentionally removed the server browser so we could properly test and evaluate the matchmaking system. Unfortunately that has caused a bit of pain amongst the community, since players really want to see the server browser return. But we consider it a necessary step to make sure the game is in its best possible state on our full release. We’ll be putting an improved server browser back in place once we reach our goals in that area.

Edited by DieselCat, January 22 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#4 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:35 PM

How will visual customisation improve_ Any plans for a decal system, or to let players create their own designs to make mechs unique_
As more mechs and new content gets added, there will be more and more options for visual customization. Parts, thrusters, paint, and camo schemes will keep being rolled out regularly. We do have plans to introduce decals or things like clan insignias, emblems, etc., but player-created custom designs are a little harder to implement. At the moment I think it would require too much oversight on our end, to avoid offensive material. Contests where player designs get elected and promoted by the community might be a good way to incorporate that though.

Hopefully, along with the clan system, people will be able to "donate" meteor credits to a "clan account".  This clan account can then be used to purchase things like custom decals for the clan, decals made by the clan, approved by the devs (hence it costing meteor credits).  That would help keep the workload down for the approval process.

Once a clan has a decal purchased, it becomes available to use by everyone currently enrolled in the clan.

#5 RespawningJesus

RespawningJesus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostDieselCat, on January 22 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

[font=arial, verdana, sans-serif]
Are you looking to implement a server browser, or a more effective matchmaking system to balance sessions_
[/font]
Yes! We do currently have a matchmaking system in place, and it was just recently updated to be more effective. The matchmaking will be constantly improved on as part of our Beta process. In fact, we intentionally removed the server browser so we could properly test and evaluate the matchmaking system. Unfortunately that has caused a bit of pain amongst the community, since players really want to see the server browser return. But we consider it a necessary step to make sure the game is in its best possible state on our full release. We’ll be putting an improved server browser back in place once we reach our goals in that area.
[/font]
*+
[/font]

Please don't use black lettering against a dark–gray background. Nearly impossible to read. (I see you changed it to yellow. Much better.)

The article was very interesting. Tournament support is getting me excited though.   It'll give new players a chance to see how the better players play.

Edited by RespawningJesus, January 22 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#6 cpl_bradders

cpl_bradders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:41 PM

It's a great article, and to agree with you:

Very much so, it's refreshing to actually find a developer and publisher that actually listens to the players, much less posts in the forums!

It really is a rare treasure

Or, for a starting point, how about having the player-uploaded decal be the same one that is used for our forum avatar_  There is already some kind of vetting process, being publicly viewable, so I would think it would be the 'safest' option to start with

A great idea

Operation of this mech binds you to the terms outlined in the Life/Death Policy Agreement, Section 2.

You are immediately liable for any and all damage incurred to this mech.

#7 skywarp00

skywarp00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCybertron

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:53 PM

sweet this feedback and insight is awsome :)

Posted Image

HAWKEN ID: SKYWARP00

STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/id/skywarp00

#8 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:53 PM

Chris Lalli talks about HAWKEN Beta:

Posted Image

My Experience with HAWKEN Beta:

Posted Image

Edited by ReachH, January 22 2013 - 03:55 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#9 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted January 22 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostReachH, on January 22 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

My Experience with HAWKEN Beta:

I lold, but think of me as the guy in the black shirt behind you looking down at you, because SUCK IT UP, CUPCAKE.

Edited by marshalade, January 22 2013 - 04:08 PM.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

#10 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted January 22 2013 - 04:35 PM

Me too, but I was thinking "Wow, that guy who got hit must have been quite drunk! Everyone around him has their guard up, and he catches a bat to the jaw like it was invisible."

Nice article. Thanks for the link. I was not particularly surprised by anything besides the possibility of melee weapons. When I started playing Hawken I thought that would be a natural choice for the devs at some point, but now that I have played more melee seems like a bad direction to go.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#11 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted January 22 2013 - 04:47 PM

View Postbacon_avenger, on January 22 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Or, for a starting point, how about having the player-uploaded decal be the same one that is used for our forum avatar_  There is already some kind of vetting process, being publicly viewable, so I would think it would be the 'safest' option to start with.

I would love to have sir schmoopy (the character in my profile pic) on my mech. :D

Edited by Guiotine, January 22 2013 - 04:47 PM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#12 Sabata

Sabata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:01 PM

...but player-created custom designs are a little harder to implement. At the moment I think it would require too much oversight on our end, to avoid offensive material. Contests where player designs get elected and promoted by the community might be a good way to incorporate that though.

Not everyone posts on the forums. It's no more visible than in game.
ברוך שנתן נשקים לעמו
ستشعرون يدي

#13 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:11 PM

The community is fantastic, our forums are a collection of some of the most constructive and helpful gamers I’ve ever seen... There are also a lot of serious hard-core players that genuinely want to improve the game and see Hawken succeed, so that’s awesome.

Look they are talking about me.
Posted Image

Edited by h0B0, January 22 2013 - 05:32 PM.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#14 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:13 PM

Awesome article!

btw, "melee" does not necessary mean gundam pink sword-fights, knife/tomahawk easy oneshot kills.
I could easily imagine a new secondary weapons like a pneumatic powered chained demolition-ball launcher like THIS
with a balanced cool down and dmg output it would work the same as a FLAK
but the animation could be super cool as the dodge experience.

Or maybe some kind of Hookshot, to bring a enemy closer to your Flak optimal range, or crush him into the pillar he was using to  dance arround :)
etc..

Edited by erathic, January 22 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image

#15 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostSabata, on January 22 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

Not everyone posts on the forums. It's no more visible than in game.
Good point.  Hpwever, I really want to be able to upload my own image vs having a limited selection to pick from (which I probably wouldn't use).  But this is OT and has been discussed previously via older threads. :)

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#16 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted January 22 2013 - 05:33 PM

Are you considering the addition of melee attacks and / or melee weapons_
Yes, I’d say we’re exploring the possibility of melee weapons, but in a controlled way that fits into the Hawken universe. We wouldn’t want to see every mech running around punching or swinging swords at each other, or have a long-range sniper class staying in close to melee. I’d like to see specialized mech classes or balanced weapons that incorporate melee, but at the cost of ranged attacks or something along those lines.

NO

Edited by Decoy101x, January 22 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#17 [HWK]Deuy

[HWK]Deuy

Chief Nomadic Trapeze Artist

• Adhesive Games
  • 350 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:18 PM

View Postbacon_avenger, on January 22 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

That's a possibility, but then there's issues with copyright/trademark violations and knowing what non-offensive content is user-created vs taken from an existing IP.  It can get messy, but that's a bridge we'll cross after we get a basic decal system available to everyone.  Baby steps :)

View PostDecoy101x, on January 22 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:

NO

Care to elaborate what you don't like about the idea_  What I was picturing is basically a secondary weapon that has the properties of an extremely close range "melee" instrument, like a spike or pneumatic hammer.  It wouldn't be terribly different from just having a flak cannon that's more effective at a much shorter range but basically has no damage potential at any other distance.  Seems like a reasonable trade-off to me, and it's a far cry from laser swords or roundhouse kicks (also in development >:D ).

#18 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:26 PM

hmm thats not such a bad idea. HOWEVER the game is fast paced and Close quarters enough that it would be a bad idea. Picture underneith the missile silo on Titan...that would turn in to a melee spam fest. If you want to have melee, even with the actually-no-so-bad-idea you had, you would need maps that catered towards this new mechanic.  Im sure the ones now would work towards it but On sarah unless your underneith the silo youre melee is gimped. on uptown youre going to be god. I think if this is implemented it would have to be done right and very carefully.

/flamesuit on
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#19 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:27 PM

Because it's much easier to close in than it is to escape in Hawken. It's actually worse if it's spike damage, as you remove the need for predictive movement in CQC (because dodge cooldowns)
If you ask me, the Flak Cannon on the scout is already problematic, for the same reasons

Also what would the primary be_ The Flak and TOW combo has a bit of a range trade-off in terms of not wanting to eat your own rockets, but there aren't that many explosive primaries to provide the same dilemna (and they don't do as much damage)

Edited by Beemann, January 22 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#20 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 06:35 PM

View Post[HWK]Deuy, on January 22 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

Care to elaborate what you don't like about the idea_

Do a search for "melee" and take your pick from the hundreds of threads regarding it. Almost every one of them has loads of reasons for and against. I guess it is up to you guys to decide from there. :)

View Post[HWK]Deuy, on January 22 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

and it's a far cry from laser swords or roundhouse kicks (also in development > :D ).

Posted Image
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Community, Interview, News, Game, Press, Website

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users