HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Mindgamer: HAWKEN - Episode 4 - Moves Like Mech Jagger

Video

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 wolfyFTW

wolfyFTW

Mindgamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 10:00 PM

POPULAR

Admit it. You like the title.

http://youtu.be/-AyzNifXSFA

Lemme know what y'all think! I tried to make this video a bit more focused on a single theme.

EDIT: I have gifts for you. GET IT_ GIFTS______ Everyone loves GIFs. Spoilertagged them for those with slower internets.

r-Dodge
Spoiler

L-Dodge
Spoiler

Circle Strafe
Spoiler

Advanced Circle Strafe
Spoiler

Dodge-EX
Spoiler

Dodge Jump
Spoiler

Moving 180
Spoiler

Duck Under
Spoiler

Edited by wolfyFTW, January 30 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#2 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted January 29 2013 - 10:25 PM

i want to purchase a "i <3 wolfy" sticker for my fred.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#3 DESMO

DESMO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 11:16 PM

Daaahhhhhh-aaaahhhhdge..  Awesome, thanks for the vid!

#4 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 11:22 PM

Excellent... my dodge isn't up there....

It shall forever be a secret... muhahahaha.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#5 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted January 29 2013 - 11:53 PM

I was wondering when another one of these was coming out! Great work, as always.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#6 Exeon

Exeon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Locationnear the north pole

Posted January 30 2013 - 12:16 AM

http://youtu.be/zs6gN8HlnPg
The waltz

Edited by Exeon, January 30 2013 - 12:18 AM.

View PostDew, on April 04 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

There's a difference between making the hoop 14 feet high and telling all the players that you have to wait for half a second after running before you can shoot the ball.

#7 Poetess

Poetess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 30 2013 - 02:57 AM

Wolfy your videos have been consistently superb and your tactics have an excellent amount of meat to them.  I just hope one day I begin to do them as instantaneously as you do and not die so many embarrassing deaths.  The only thing about your videos that I might recommend would be some background music to help jazz it up.  Nothing overpowering or with lyrics, just something to fill the empty space...but that's just my personal preference (you can find Creative Commons licensed music here).  Other than that, I love the pause/explanation segments as well as your clever graphics.  Have you considered tweeting this out to the Hawken Twitter_  Perhaps they'll consider retweeting your hard work :).

Edited by Poetess, January 30 2013 - 02:59 AM.

Posted Image
^Vote for my T-shirt design shown above here: Submission Link

#8 Deaod

Deaod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted January 30 2013 - 04:10 AM

Personally, i dont use the 180 spin all that much. I do something similar to the last maneuver you showed by turning 90 degrees, dodging, and turning another 90 degrees. Or i use the "dodge ex" executed slightly imperfectly (boost forward, turn 45 degrees in either direction and then dodge in either direction).

What you can also do with weapons like Flak and HEAT is you can turn - dodge - turn back, essentially using a diagonal dodge towards your enemy as a way to close the distance and avoid enemy fire. The reason you should only do this with weapons like Flak or HEAT is that with most other weapons you need to keep track of enemies constantly (and sharpshooters in a close range fight have done something wrong).

When youre facing another player who is good at movement and youre dancing around each other, make sure to dodge right after he dodges. Reason for this is that if hes any good hell try to keep track of you while dodging. Keeping track of you gets significantly harder when youre dodging as well. This will become a timing match where each of you tries to predict the next movement of the other player correctly, usually to split second accuracy. Remember that noones forcing you to dodge whenever you can. Its okay to miss a few timings, and itll throw your enemy off as well.

#9 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted January 30 2013 - 06:46 AM

I feel like you missed an opportunity in not naming the l/r dodge the RentaKnight dodge. Posted Image Considering he did that in one of your earlier vids, and it's totally apropos considering the name and the action. Posted Image

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#10 wolfyFTW

wolfyFTW

Mindgamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostPoetess, on January 30 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Wolfy your videos have been consistently superb and your tactics have an excellent amount of meat to them.  I just hope one day I begin to do them as instantaneously as you do and not die so many embarrassing deaths.  The only thing about your videos that I might recommend would be some background music to help jazz it up.  Nothing overpowering or with lyrics, just something to fill the empty space...but that's just my personal preference (you can find Creative Commons licensed music here).  Other than that, I love the pause/explanation segments as well as your clever graphics.  Have you considered tweeting this out to the Hawken Twitter_  Perhaps they'll consider retweeting your hard work :).

Music is a great idea. I was kinda worried that those looking for a bit more action in my videos might tune out at the parts where I'm just talking, but at the same time I didn't want to just put some filler there either. Music would be a good middle ground.

As for Twitter, I don't have an account. Would you (or anyone else) mind tweeting that to adhesive for me_ I'd appreciate it :)

@Saturnine,

Good point... though to be fair RaK is the one I got the name L-Dodge from in the first place since he calls it that haha

Edited by wolfyFTW, January 30 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#11 LunaticCalm

LunaticCalm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 08:03 AM

Seriously awesome stuff wolfy!

#12 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted January 30 2013 - 08:26 AM

I do these things so instinctually, it's easy to forget how complex it might actually be to learn. Glad to see you teaching.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#13 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 08:37 AM

Sticky this guys videos.
Posted Image

#14 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostPoetess, on January 30 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

(you can find Creative Commons licensed music here)

Kevin MacLeod, my mortal enemy. Your presence here must not be a coincidence. We must now battle to the death, for I must defend my honor.

*draws his sword*

(Context: I hate that music because EVERYONE USES IT since it's the first thing people get when they go looking for generic royalty-free music, so everyone ends up using the same music in all their videos.)

Some background music would be good though. :)
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#15 Azrael39

Azrael39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:42 AM

I have really enjoyed your mech lesson tutorials so far Wolfyftw.  After watching the dueling video's I became much more competent in close range engagements and using cover.  Now I hope to implement these new dodges into my gameplay.  Also all this information you provide me with gives me more information and more tools to add to my thought process when playing Hawken.  You are a maestro of the mechs!
Sharpshooter lvl 25, Berserker lvl 25, Scout lvl 25, Bruiser lvl 25, CRT lvl 25, Brawler lvl 25, Infiltrator lvl 25, Reaper lvl 25, Rocketeer lvl 25, Raider lvl 25, Technician lvl 25, Grenadier lvl 25, Assault lvl 25

Good luck and have fun see you on the Battlefields!

#16 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:45 AM

Nevermind, it was already in the video.

Edited by Cyclonus, January 30 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#17 ediv

ediv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:55 AM

Great stuff Wolfy. I'm consistently impressed with this game's community. I've gotten so used to seeing the community forums for games like COD where there is nothing but endless complaining. Needless to say the depth of Hawken's gameplay and community has been a much needed breath of fresh air. Keep it up!

To add to the thread, a move I utilize sometimes to build distance while keeping one eye on the enemy is to quickly look about 90 degrees to the left or right and then dash in the direction opposite my opponent. If you look back towards the opponent while dashing, you get sort of a poor man's backdash.

Edited by ediv, January 30 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#18 RentAKnight

RentAKnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted January 30 2013 - 10:17 AM

A quick note on another advantage of using the dodge-ex in situations.  You can start charging a heat/eoc shot during the side dodge portion of the dodge-ex.  This is useful when chasing, closing distance, and going in straight lines.  If you simply boost forward until you want to shoot, you will have to charge your shot from zero charge.  Figure out when you want to start aiming / shoot and turn and sidedodge to that location pre-charging your weapon, ready to fire with a charged shot a little after your side dodge ends.

Great tutorial wolfy!

Edited by RentAKnight, January 30 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Inactive.

#19 Poetess

Poetess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted January 30 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostAshfire908, on January 30 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

(Context: I hate that music because EVERYONE USES IT since it's the first thing people get when they go looking for generic royalty-free music, so everyone ends up using the same music in all their videos.)

Some background music would be good though. :)

No worries, I utilize and know of a ton more.  I have actually compiled an entire post of them in the past ^_^.

Wolfy, I will gladly tweet out the video to them.  This is something that any level of player could benefit from.
Posted Image
^Vote for my T-shirt design shown above here: Submission Link

#20 x1aa

x1aa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted January 30 2013 - 12:59 PM

You sir, are great!
"Your attack has been rendered harmless. It is, however, quite pretty."
—Saprazzan vizier