HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Open Beta Patch Notes: 02/12/13

Patch News Game

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#241 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 13 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostXman, on February 13 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostThe_Silencer, on February 13 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

1.- Mirroring Bazaar map and adding distinct (alpha) colors elements to each of the "neighborhoods" of the map. I think that players wouldn't feel so disoriented if they see, for example, blueish or redish textures on certain chunks of the map around the respawning points. In case they do respawn in the enemy "neighborhood" then they immediately would now about that this way. I'm saying red and blue to speed up things on here. Obviously the 2D artists would know how to make this look the better.

What I think we need is more maps similar to origin, Its nearly mirrored and they have the blue/red indicators. Red for Santium and Blue for Prosk (btw, love the lighting improvement in those color straps).

Sanctium.. Interesting... Sentium, that was a typo, I know. :)

And yep, maps look incredibly cooler right now; lots and lots of nice & cool details everywhere.. Nevertheless, I'm pretty curious on what the devs have to say on a post like that one I made above.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#242 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 03:32 PM

Just played the new version and felt like throwing in my two cents.

Cons first.

GET RID OF THAT WORDFILTER! Or make it optional at least. I'm 28, I love to swear, it helps me vent and the f-word is the duct tape of the english language. Don't take that from me!

That said, new reticle feels weird. As many in here, i grew so fond of the bouncing accurate reticle of the previous version that this would probably rank #1 on my list of importancy. New one feels too shooter-esque imho.
I probably don't need to mention the chatbox being so freaking large, that it almost takes up a quarter of my screen (currently playing on low/low 1024, fyi). Enemy spotted markers falling in the same category. My half blind grandma probably would know where my opponents roam around.
Having no real opinion on the killcam as of yet. It's nice, but I mostly don't pay much attention to it as of now.
Has the amount of the mech rattling and shaking increased on the 'full' setting_ I like it very much in combination with full cockpit lag.
Ah and yeah, probably hasn't been brought up and I don't know if that's even an issue but people playing on low settings can't really see much through the exhaust of the AA launching. There's absolutely no opacity on the clouds of fumes, which gets rather annoying when you're defending from the top of the platform.

Pros:

Feels like the general look on low settings has improved. I like the new scoreboard and kill notes, also the assisted by thing is good to know. For retaliation and the like. It's mostly minor visual improvements which make me go 'oh, nice', like the EUs and energy orbs, which btw I have not had any problems with in the few matches i played. They seem to work fine now.
Also, the letterbox in the post match animations are nice. Adds some distinction and significance to the event, from my point of view.

All in all, a nice patch. Nothing groundbreaking, but it feels like it's moving forward. Which is good. Also, not having had any problems with lags like many here, I should add.
[Pilot Error]

#243 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostScapes, on February 08 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Matchmaking
  • We're introducing the latest changes to Matchmaking in HAWKEN with this patch. The goal is to rate pilots based on their skill so that all players experience fair fights with some variation in team skill composition. These changes are the next step towards achieving that goal, and we thank you in advance for being our live test subjects.
    • All players will be having their skill ratings reset. The purpose of this is to collect new, unadultered data on how the Matchmaking changes are performing. This does mean that your first match after this patch hits will be with pilots of a wide range of skill levels. Matchmaking will quickly "learn" more about you from this match and you should find yourself fighting pilots closer to your skill level within an hour's worth of matches.
    • Player ranking earned per match and game mode will be changing as of this patch. Ranking from Siege and Missile Assault matches was originally based on wins and losses while Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch was based on the pilot's kills-to-deaths ratio. Rankings in all game modes will now be based on your XP earned per minute. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch will also factor in deaths unlike Siege and Missile Assault.
    • Rankings originally only vested if pilots stayed in 75% of the entire match. Rankings will now vest if a much smaller fraction of the total match is played.

Xp per minute. Seriously_ So those missile assaults where my team 3 caps the entire time i barely get any credit for (looks like i did very little) because i don't generate enough xp_ Fuzzy bunny amazing. Should have stuck with W/L.
Posted Image

#244 Culex

Culex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostZeshi, on February 13 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Xp per minute. Seriously_ So those missile assaults where my team 3 caps the entire time i barely get any credit for (looks like i did very little) because i don't generate enough xp_ Fuzzy bunny amazing. Should have stuck with W/L.

Xp per minute is a vast improvement over the old system of just W and L. You could have fought your ass off on a team that just lost, and your rating would sink because of it, even though you topped on your team.

Given your situation, I'd like to hope that either a) you don't lose any rating for not maintaining adequate XP gain (even though noone else might be either) or b ) the rating gain is based on the relative amounts of Xp gain/Time within your team or overall.

Edit: In scenario A if you 3 capped and the game was a stomp, I wouldn't expect you to really gain any rating from that either.
Edit2: Also, if everything was based on W/L, people would just duck out of the game before taking the loss to avoid rating loss.

I'd like to have a dev clarify what would happen in that situation. Are rating changes based relatively between the players' Xp/Minute in the game_ Is it between allies, enemies, or neither_ Or is the system not that sophisticated, and there will just be a certain threshold of xp/minute you will have to meet in every game once you pass a certain rating or you will continuously lose rating_

Edited by Culex, February 13 2013 - 11:08 PM.

I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future...

I consume time... And I will consume you!
Posted Image

#245 Garx

Garx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGensokyo

Posted February 13 2013 - 11:00 PM

nice homing but now rly suck lock-on hellfires dont work good

Posted Image

#246 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted February 13 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostGarx, on February 13 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

you have to do the full lock now, you cant half-lock it like before. there was a thread about it yesterday.

Edited by Guiotine, February 13 2013 - 11:31 PM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#247 SmirkingRevenge

SmirkingRevenge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 12:01 AM

My 2 cents, trying to be as productive as possible...

Hellfire Missiles: Adjusted to be slightly more effective at closer ranges

I've found that they're also becoming quite alright at long range as well... Perhaps it's just me but I'm dying a hell of a lot more whether its close or long range from Hellfire Missiles...

Game Mode Unlock: New players start with Team Deathmatch unlocked. Additional game modes can be unlocked by playing matches of any combination of available game modes. New players can still join their friends on a mode they haven't unlocked yet.

I like this a lot!  Although perhaps it could be based on Mech level/Pilot level instead_  Anyone can play 5 matches, doesn't mean they're any good...  On that note I also think that whatever system is implemented, it should be increased.  Get players to learn the basics before throwing them into objective-based modes where differences in skill become more noticeable

Siege Mode: Added turrets inside team bases to prevent players from camping inside an opponent's base.

Great idea... love it!

Reticle: Reticle improved to be more accurate. As a result, the optional setting for Accurate Reticle (Experimental) has been removed

I know there were reasons for this change to do with cams etc... but I did quite enjoy the Accurate Reticle.  If it is possible to bring it back at a later date, I would very much like that :)

Kills and Deaths: Improved kill and death messages in the mech HUD.

Brilliant... Nuff said.

Kill Cam (Alpha): Upon death, your camera will now follow the player who killed you for a few seconds.

Completely understandable that it is a work in progress.  Not completely sure what the intentions are with what you guys are developing it for, and I'm sure it's nowhere near it's final realisation, but as it stands, 2 things... 1) Be able to turn it off... I didn't hate staring at my smoldering wreckage!  2) If it was possible to view what happened in order for you to die... I feel as a strategy thing it's a bit unnecessary... i.e. if I kill someone, and I need to run off to repair, there is nothing stopping Mr. Dead from reporting to his team exactly where I went for an easy kill.

Menu Usability: New ribbons denote NEW, POPULAR, and LIMITED items

Love it, and I would imagine it would help many who don't understand the stats to grab a decent support item/modification.

Various updates to post-match earnings text for clarity.

Another good change... some of them were a bit too wordy.

Miscellaneous
Continued visual and audio tweaks for training mission tutorial, maps, mechs, weapons, and items.
Added sound effects for mech animations in the Garage.
Added cockpit reflection and lens flare visual effects.

I'm sure I'm pointing out the obvious here but more of all of this!  Really adds to the sensation that you're a part of what's going on, me likey :)

That's comments on the patch notes, but I would like to through in a few other opinions/gripes...
  • I have felt that frame rates have dropped and the game is laggy... Discussions in other posts I know but just adding another voice to the crowd
  • The supersized text box also falls into this category
That is all...  Keep up the great work guys, always looking forward to the patches and seeing how the game is evolving :)

Edited by SmirkingRevenge, February 14 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#248 Garx

Garx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGensokyo

Posted February 14 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostGuiotine, on February 13 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

you have to do the full lock now, you cant half-lock it like before. there was a thread about it yesterday.

yes i lock on full at red crosshair but hellfire dont follow target

Posted Image

#249 GamerzCentral100

GamerzCentral100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 07:23 PM

I'm a noob so how do I redeem these_

#250 aikikode

aikikode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 03:37 AM

Is it intended that kill-cams "switch" your team view mode_

When viewing the death cam all enemy mechs are tagged white instead of red and if the mech which killed me starts repairing I'm able to see his health indicator in the bottom right corner.

#251 Kerbstomp

Kerbstomp

3D Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 06:43 AM

View Postaikikode, on February 15 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

Nope. Bothers me as well. Expect to see improvements in future patches.

#252 Noin

Noin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostCameronKerby, on February 15 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

View Postaikikode, on February 15 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

Nope. Bothers me as well. Expect to see improvements in future patches.
I just same to see if anyone else noted this.  In Siege especially it changes your perspective including the number of friendlies and enemies in the point control HUD item.  It almost deserves to be HUD-less.  Turns out currently to be much more spectator-ish third person with some HUD elements...

P.S.  I have seen the competitive turn off, seeing where that sniper is at is a small advantage coming back into the playing field,

#253 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted February 19 2013 - 11:07 AM

might aswell post my findings here.

I havent gotten through the trouble of testing everything yet. and i dont expect to do it but.

Missing information from the patch notes include.

Geriatric UI
EOC mine damage buff.
Detonator damage buff.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#254 MasterFALE

MasterFALE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted February 19 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostGarx, on February 14 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostGuiotine, on February 13 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

yes i lock on full at red crosshair but hellfire dont follow target

I might be wrong, but the Hellfires seem to lead their target a bit. I trashed a few shots figuring that out.
Posted ImageReaper(25), Scout(15), Infiltrator(6), Technician(11), Bruiser(25), CRT(15), SharpShooter(12), Rocketeer(18), Grenadier(12), Brawler(6)

#255 matsnake

matsnake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted February 21 2013 - 05:33 AM

I don't read patch notes usually, but while playing with my bruiser i noticed some canges to the hellfires. For some reasons my missiles doesn't lock as before on the target and they loose sooner the target when is locked on
So i serched the forums.. and.. well i couldn't believe the patch notes.

Hellfire Missiles
  • Adjusted to be slightly more effective at closer ranges.
    • Damage per projectile was increased slightly.
    • Projectiles start homing to targets sooner.
    • Homing strength was increased.
    • Time to lose target lock-on was increased.
- ok damage actually is higher that's fine
- didn't notice
- _ no...
- Not for my bruiser

I actually prefer the old hellfires.
I don't know if now they work as intended ,but the fact that now you must wait the full lock to hit  the target and do the cornering tricks that every hellfires user should learn limit the bruiser to a slowly gameplay, which is terrible when this game is all about move fast and hit and run.
Also i noticed that they loose the lock really quick. I was used to get the lock, aim in another direction and fire just to have a mortar like trajectory or an circling / cornering effect, now is really hard to get this again. Most of the times my missiles just go straight .. dunno.

Dunno if it is bugged.. i hope so.
Just fix it or gimme the old hellfires just with some more damage!

Pretty pls :)

#256 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted February 21 2013 - 11:31 AM

The point about not waiting for a lock and dumb-firing before is that it basically didn't make a difference. This update's raised the skill cap for Hellfires. And made them more punishing if you get caught in the open. An EOC Rocketeer can alpha strike even a B-class into scary territory without too much difficulty (assuming a baseline skill with EOC and hellfires).
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patch, News, Game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users