HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

RPS Article About Hawken

Press Beta

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 09 2013 - 03:37 PM

http://www.rockpaper...awken-hands-on/

EDIT: If this has already been posted, my bad.

Edited by AsianJoyKiller, March 09 2013 - 03:39 PM.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#2 TazzGo

TazzGo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationÉire

Posted March 09 2013 - 04:01 PM

Haven't seen it yet anyway AJk.

He pretty much nails the description of the game, interesting observation with hawken mech vs. PS2 gun as well. Obviously I disagree with him about there not being enough in the game, since I'm here and all, but at the same time, I can see how it could seem a little empty to new players :/ I guess that'll just improve with time though.

Afterthought: I wonder if this was written pre or post patch_ I know it was published afterwards, but he mightn't have played it since the patch,
Posted Image

#3 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted March 09 2013 - 04:46 PM

Ok I just finished reading it. Why do I feel the writer has an identity crisis_

#4 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted March 09 2013 - 05:18 PM

Evil edna was the highlight for me...

Posted Image

#5 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 09 2013 - 06:04 PM

[font=Arial, sans-serif]In conclusion: Hawken and I will see each other again. But we’re not going to have a long relationship. There’s just not enough there. Not for a mature gentleman. It feels incredibly well made, like a hand-crafted thing, except all digital grain and electronic edges. The combat is pacey and bombastic, and offers the right kind of reward for skill, as well as money.[/font]
(He writes like a teenager too)

Edited by ReachH, March 09 2013 - 06:04 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#6 draco7891

draco7891

El Tigre

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted March 09 2013 - 10:29 PM

He says that he loves everything about Hawken, from the visual signature to the maps, the gamemodes on tap, the feel of the game, the mechanics of play, how it triggers his nostalgia, how he likes the pacing of the free-to-play model. And then he says that there's not enough, but never anything about enough of what he thinks should be there. More mechs_ More maps_ More gamemodes_ Different mechanics_ More players (total, or per server)_

This is a classic example of why your 5th grade English teacher hammered premise-conclusion expositional writing into your head. He gets to talking about all the tangential information and his writing is rife with hooks and details, but in 10 paragraphs it never once touches on his central opinion that "it's good, but there could be more". The article doesn't mean anything, because it never says anything. In the rush to tell us what Hawken is, he forgot to tell us what he wants Hawken to be.

Draco

#7 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted March 09 2013 - 10:45 PM

View Postdraco7891, on March 09 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

In the rush to tell us what Hawken is, he forgot to tell us what he wants Hawken to be.
At least he knows that much.
In so many articles we've seen over the months, the writers don't even know what Hawken is.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#8 the_Sprawl

the_Sprawl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted March 10 2013 - 03:05 AM

Oh the ignorance. It burns.
Reading the comments under the article, its quite obvious that people have alot of meanings and opinions about the game, but really haven't understood much.

In succession, comments are like this:

Poster 1: I feel so bad for being able to buy a new mech for real money and win over a guy who didn't. (QQ->P2W)
Poster2: Only being able to buy skins and cosmectics is sooo lame. No real benefit for buying anything. (QQ->P2Look good)
Poster3: It takes forever to grind so you can have access to the equipment and upgrades the high-levels have. (QQ->Level trumps skill)

Most likely they joined a game in their CRT and solo rushed two or three enemies. Then quit cuz they got slaughtered by some level 25 with all the gear they did or didn't have.

Just wished people had the decency to actually learn the game instead of basing their opinions on fragmented and biased rumours put forth by cry-cry individuals with a superficial understanding of the game.

Edited by the_Sprawl, March 10 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#9 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted March 12 2013 - 08:44 PM

And why do they keep using the old screenshots from the original press kit (or where ever they came from)_  If they are actually playing the game, use some current screen shots.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#10 145154151164145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 09:10 PM

Someone who has actually played the game for 400+ hours and has played every mech needs to write articles, not these people who hop in a game for an hour or two.

#11 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 10:51 PM

View Post145154151164145, on March 12 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Someone who has actually played the game for 400+ hours and has played every mech needs to write articles, not these people who hop in a game for an hour or two.

Sadly, people that play the game for 400+ hours don't write the articles, they probably don't have time ;). I'd love to see AKJ write something up and submit it to some gaming sites :P.
I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

#12 Bratwurst

Bratwurst

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationHamster powered mech.

Posted March 12 2013 - 10:57 PM

FRED...... nuf said.
Posted Image

#13 NYPD54

NYPD54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 11:18 PM

I actually agree with what he said, and he is right about there not being enough in this game, cause there isn't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press, Beta

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users