HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Serious Frame Rate Issues -- Friendly Reminder

Patch

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted April 28 2013 - 09:31 PM

About 3 months ago, I uninstalled Hawken and decided to stop playing all together due to lack of content and very slow or non existent fixes to serious issues. One at the top of my list was frame rate issues. It seems that post Technician patch, there have been some serious frame rate drops.

My 560m held up decently, at least on medium or low settings. As it stands now though, the game is practically unplayable (e- unless i'm looking at the ground, rendering the map at a distance causes severe drops, 20fps or less). I've looked into modifying the .ini for system settings, but can't find an updated help thread on that subject.

Any recommendations for getting better frame rates_ I'm about to uninstall this unplayable game again.

Edited by BRASH, April 28 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#2 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationGermany - Leipzig

Posted April 28 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostBRASH, on April 28 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

I'm about to uninstall this unplayable game again.

adhesive do something :/
Posted Image
pm me for hire :)

#3 PScribs

PScribs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationThe AA. With, or without you.

Posted April 28 2013 - 11:05 PM

That's a little weird, considering I run the same card and get a pretty consistant 55ish fps.  What are the rest of your specs_  Mine are in my sig.

Edited by PScribs, April 28 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Mech Internals - Malibal Lotus P151HM: i7-2670QM - GTX 560M, 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, 120GB SATA III SSD
Posted Image
Exercise Caution - I only suck 30% of the time.  Care to play the odds_

#4 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted April 28 2013 - 11:06 PM

Well, first you failed at a few things.

System specifications matter, you did nothing to explain what you are trying to run it on, from the looks of it I"m guessing you are on an older laptop.

Driver versions matter too.

Lastly, your search  attempt must of failed, the forum is full of help on that subject.  So I will do your work for you.
https://community.pl...for-low-frames/
https://community.pl...en/#entry215781
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#5 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 08:20 AM

@ SS396
I don't know my full specs (not at home). It's a 560m chip, i7 something cpu, 8 gigs ram 1600. 7200rpm drive - you know... basic stuff for a slightly older (edit- gaming) laptop. I don't know my nVidia driver versions. It's up to date.

I did look for a thread about modifying the current .ini, as I have done so in the past, but I couldn't find any threads for doing that on current patch. Recommend a link if you know of one, or the .ini changes. I'm all ears.

The point is that the game was at least playable before I took a leave of absence 3 months ago. I could pull 29 - 30 fps on medium during a firefight and was fine with that. Now I put everything to the lowest setting possible and can't get 15 fps in a firefight. And you make my point SS, there are tons of threads about this issue, so what the hell happened. This thread is just me adding my voice to the crowd and hoping for the closest thing to a magic bullet solution from another member.

Edited by BRASH, April 29 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#6 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostBRASH, on April 29 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

The point is that the game was at least playable before I took a leave of absence 3 months ago. I could pull 29 - 30 fps on medium during a firefight and was fine with that.
you are not the only one.
Hawken is just losing more and more players because they are unable to play hawken, but I am not sure if the devs noticed
Posted Image

#7 kernkraft3000

kernkraft3000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted April 29 2013 - 11:36 AM

Today i got a weird crash to desktop without any message. After that my fps dropped dramatically ingame. Well it shows 60 on average but in fight its nearly unplayable. How can this be_ Maybe some Server issues_

My spec: i5 2500k, gtx560t amp, 8gb vengeance ram, no ssd

Posted Image

> CHP // ... ETIME [04:17:44] DAY 017

#8 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted April 29 2013 - 11:39 AM

View Postkernkraft3000, on April 29 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Today i got a weird crash to desktop without any message. After that my fps dropped dramatically ingame. Well it shows 60 on average but in fight its nearly unplayable. How can this be_ Maybe some Server issues_

It might be the same culprit I suspected during alpha - particle emissions. When the particles fly, my frames take a nose dive.

#9 kernkraft3000

kernkraft3000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted April 29 2013 - 12:13 PM

That could be but the thing is, since yesterday i could play on ultra settings. Today i have to put it down to 2MSAA, medium settings and physx to low.

Can´t be.

Posted Image

> CHP // ... ETIME [04:17:44] DAY 017

#10 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted April 29 2013 - 01:16 PM

@ SS396
I don't know my full specs (not at home). It's a 560m chip, i7 something cpu, 8 gigs ram 1600. 7200rpm drive - you know... basic stuff for a slightly older (edit- gaming) laptop. I don't know my nVidia driver versions. It's up to date.
OK, get those specs please, and get the Nvidia driver version please.  Even post all your ingame video settings (just from the menu not the entire ini.)  Also post the Nvidia control panel profile settings.  We can move forward from there.

I did look for a thread about modifying the current .ini, as I have done so in the past, but I couldn't find any threads for doing that on current patch. Recommend a link if you know of one, or the .ini changes. I'm all ears.
The links I provided previously have tons of info, that is still fairly current.  Many people are reporting frame rate increases by making some of those changes.

The point is that the game was at least playable before I took a leave of absence 3 months ago. I could pull 29 - 30 fps on medium during a firefight and was fine with that. Now I put everything to the lowest setting possible and can't get 15 fps in a firefight. And you make my point SS, there are tons of threads about this issue, so what the hell happened. This thread is just me adding my voice to the crowd and hoping for the closest thing to a magic bullet solution from another member.
Well, a lot has changed in those 3 months and the game isn't fully optimized.

View Postkernkraft3000, on April 29 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

That could be but the thing is, since yesterday i could play on ultra settings. Today i have to put it down to 2MSAA, medium settings and physx to low.

Can´t be.
Ok, theres 2 major problems there, turn off AA and PhysX completely.  There was no ninja patch, so the difference you are experiencing is all on your end, maybe you have something running in the background.

#11 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted April 30 2013 - 07:37 PM

CPU: intel i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs)
Memory: 8192MB
Vid Chip: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M, 4048 MB memory. Ver 314.22

Graphic Settings:
Posted Image
Note: I've alternated between Medium and Low graphic and texture levels, as well as turning on and off capped smooth framerate. Also, I've tried playing after a reboot with no resource intense apps in the background - that includes web browsers. Nothing changes.

#12 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 01 2013 - 12:36 AM

Well, start hawken hit F5 or F6 and type "stat fps" and report what you currently getting as framerates.

The cap smooth framerate is only limiting frame rates above 122fps, unless you set it to something else in the inis.

I might suggest going to a lower resolution, I'm sure you will pick up frames by doing just that.

What is the GPU temp_

Also, what are your Nvidia control panel settings, default and hawken profile settings.

I set these.
https://community.pl...en/#entry216188

#13 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 03:11 AM

Try this .ini changes that worked for me.
I already changed resolution to yours(1600x900) and borderless on.
Just so you know, I have 2 GTX660 and a AMD FX-8350
I start lagging too when I play a few games....

Replace this code with the [SystemSettings] part in your
%HOMEPATH%DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenSystemSettings.ini

Spoiler

also change these things in the
%HOMEPATH%DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfigHawkenEngine.ini

Spoiler

but watch out there are 2 of "MaxParticleResize" and "MaxParticleVertexMemory" so you have to change them twice

Here is a little explanation on what these are doing
less light effects/no motion blur/distortions and whatever
and the most important one
max framerate of 60
this has changed the game for me really much, it's basicly Vsync without lags.
You can change the max framerate to a lower number if you still get frame drops too fast, but always remember to change the MinSmoothedFrameRate to a lower number then MaxSmoothedFrameRate

Edited by Kazma, May 01 2013 - 03:55 AM.

Posted Image

#14 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 07:18 AM

@Kazma Hey! That's what I'm looking for. I'll try those .ini changes and report back later.

@SS396 Thanks for that info. My resolution has already been dropped from 1920x1080, and I'm not willing to drop it any further. If this game needs so much pampering that it ends up looking like an old Xbox game before it becomes playable, it's not worth playing until Adhesive get this ironed out.

Again, thanks to both of you. I'll try these and post results, but if nothing improves, I'm going AWOL.

edit- made those changes but I gotta get to work. Will update later this evening.

Edited by BRASH, May 01 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#15 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted May 01 2013 - 07:52 PM

Followup - modifying the .ini worked. I can now play at the usual settings and get reasonable frame rates (around 30 mostly). Thanks again Kazma!

Moifying the NVidia settings made the ambient occlusion or shadows flicker through the entire game (even the intro with animated logos). So I just reset all of that to default. It doesn't help at all.

#16 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 01 2013 - 09:14 PM

Ok, I'm confused.

First, setting the video settings to low/low, should of done pretty much what those changes in the ini file were.

Second, did you set the SLI setting in the nvidia profile_  Because you are not supposed to, because you don't have 2 video cards in SLI.

#17 Kazma

Kazma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostSS396, on May 01 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

First, setting the video settings to low/low, should of done pretty much what those changes in the ini file were.
nope, many people including me get same or almost the same frame rates with high or low settings no matter what
this is another reason why I'm currently not playing hawken for a while. It looks horrible on these settings :D
Posted Image

#18 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 02 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostKazma, on May 02 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

nope, many people including me get same or almost the same frame rates with high or low settings no matter what
this is another reason why I'm currently not playing hawken for a while. It looks horrible on these settings :D
Well, after I looked at your .ini settings closer(diff'd them), they are exactly the same as the lowest settings, [HWK]TJ incorporated Notkjell's changes (which your changes are based upon) to the the new low settings.

Also, you have 2 major mistakes in them:

[HWK]TJ specifically says to NOT turn off / set CompositeDynamicLight=false .
https://community.pl..._40#entry249776

And you left out

AllowPerFrameSleep=True
AllowPerFrameYield=True

Those two lines by themselves improve performance.

So, this is the main reason why you should allow Hawken to overwrite your config settings when there is a patch, if you don't you end up missing certain changes.

#19 BRASH

BRASH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostSS396, on May 01 2013 - 09:14 PM, said:

did you set the SLI setting in the nvidia profile_  Because you are not supposed to, because you don't have 2 video cards in SLI.

No dude, I didn't. :P I know what SLI is and made sure not to touch that or just left it off.

All I know is that the game was unplayable at any setting, including Low. And only after modifying the .ini did it really work. I can actually play on High with a bunch of advanced options turned on and get a better frame rate than before.

Maybe later tonight I'll modify it further with SS396's changes and see how that goes. Will definitely be making a backup though.

Edited by BRASH, May 02 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#20 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted May 02 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostBRASH, on May 02 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

No dude, I didn't.  I know what SLI is and made sure not to touch that or just left it off.
Ok, no need to get snappy.  From the comments before I thought you might of set it. I just figured you might not be so computer literate from your earlier posts.  I mean really the post for the ini changes that I provided is the same thing as what Kazma posted, but you didn't bother to do anything until someone reposted the EXACT thing to do.

Nothing in those Nvidia control panel changes should cause anything to flicker.  For best performance (on your older video chipset) you shouldn't be running any ambient occlusion.

View PostBRASH, on May 02 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

All I know is that the game was unplayable at any setting, including Low. And only after modifying the .ini did it really work. I can actually play on High with a bunch of advanced options turned on and get a better frame rate than before.

Maybe later tonight I'll modify it further with SS396's changes and see how that goes. Will definitely be making a backup though.

Ok, heres the problem with the above statement, once you changed the video settings AFTER you made those ini changes, the ini were basically removed.  The lowest default settings are equalivent to the ini changes posted, so once you select med/high/ultra, the changes that were set to false in the ini are now set to true at the higher settings.  If you look in the ini's further down there are [systembitbuckets] that contain separate settings for low/med/high/ultra.

So, heres something to try:
Exit hawken and launcher.
Rename the hawkensystemsettings.ini file to hawkensystemsettings.ini.bak or something
Start hawken
set video settings, and check FPS.
If you still have decent fps then the issue that caused your FPS increase was not in the hawkensystemsettings.ini file at all.

It could be possible that its the following change
MaxParticleResize
MaxParticleVertexMemory

However if it was this change below that caused the FPS increase, it could be because your GPU was overheating in the first place.  I asked you for your GPU temp a while ago.
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=122
to
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users