HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken BIG UPDATE MAJOR CHANGES (WITH PHOTOS) !!!

Announcement Forum Patch Update News Exclusive

• Please log in to reply
583 replies to this topic

#61 chuiu

chuiu

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationProsk

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:28 PM

View Postphed, on August 14 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

View PostChancellor, on August 14 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

I sure hope I have to level my Pilot, I dont want everything done for me because I've played so much already.

i am of the opposite opinion.

As am I.  I've played and enjoyed games that didn't require me to endlessly grind for hours to keep up with the competition.  Games that were built on top of the foundation that newer players were just as equal as seasoned veterans.  The competitive scenes were always active and filled with new members and a thriving fan-base.

I like the idea of leveling up and unlocking stuff more than the next person, but I don't want it to be a barrier I need to pass in order to unlock weapons or items I want to use.  The current leveling system for mech's is already more than enough grinding for me.

#62 ecaflip

ecaflip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationFlying with glorious air dynamics

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on August 14 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Fails the "competitively successful" check. CoD comp scene is a joke.
CoD may be a joke, but the MLG insists on having one each year.
Posted Image
I'm I'm playing, I'm more than likely streaming. Come watch me at twitch.tv/bugzdood (i wish I had a better twitch name)

#63 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:44 PM

start at 2:41

Edited by ReachH, August 14 2013 - 11:48 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#64 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted August 14 2013 - 11:50 PM

View Postecaflip, on August 14 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on August 14 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Fails the "competitively successful" check. CoD comp scene is a joke.
CoD may be a joke, but the MLG insists on having one each year.
MLG is on the decline really, its more of a festival organizer than a serious esports organization. And I'm not just saying that because they messed up WCS and then got butthurt and dropped out of starcraft and got replaced with NASL.

They are an event organizer, and have given up producing continuous content. They tried it, and they aren't that good or its not their business model or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, dreamhacks and MLGs and insomnias are great at promoting esports, but hosting a tournament and running a league or worldwide competition is something else entirely.

I think its safe to say that a CoD league would never survive because, quite frankly, its not that interesting, and people don't really give a damn. But include it as part of a weekend event and hey! presto! people can relate, because its a popular mainstream title. Will people start following [insert CoD pro] or [insert CoD pro team]_ Probably not. Even Quakelive, which is comparatively not as well known or popular, probably has better retention in terms of fans, participants and spectators. Dreamhack has been doing quake for longer than MLG has been around I think.

Edited by ReachH, August 14 2013 - 11:58 PM.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#65 takashi_k

takashi_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 12:24 AM

Some of these changes look good, though.  They are adding offline team deathmatch, VR training, and Co-op with bots.  That sounds pretty neat to me.

Having the option to keep the old HUD would be nice, though.

#66 DYLANDYON

DYLANDYON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 01:51 AM

Based on the last years gameplay video they seem to have still mechs that hasn't been released yet, so I am not suprised a wide faced heavy class mech appears in the update. Which is weird because as a heavy class you're usually after taller mechs, not wider ones with biggest shoulder pads ever.

#67 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 15 2013 - 01:56 AM

Oh those HUD bars are ugly as all hell.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#68 hendman

hendman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 02:06 AM

View Posttakashi_k, on August 15 2013 - 12:24 AM, said:

Some of these changes look good, though.  They are adding offline team deathmatch, VR training, and Co-op with bots.  That sounds pretty neat to me.

Having the option to keep the old HUD would be nice, though.

The co-op with bots mode won't make it into the upcoming patch, it has been delayed.

#69 ED209mk2

ED209mk2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 02:59 AM

most important question I have:  when~!_ will this patch arrive_

#70 JyuVioleGrace

JyuVioleGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted August 15 2013 - 03:00 AM

I can't say I'm overly fond of the HP bar and Boost meter not being part of the mech cockpit. However, assuming I had an Oculus Rift, and those bars moved along with my head, then I'd be completely fine with it and cream my pants a little more. I'll assume it's part of the pilot's HMD (http://en.wikipedia....mounted_display).

So, y'know... You're wearing a HMD. And your pilot is as well. And... Well, it's kinda.. Awesome_

#71 HideyoshiYaoi

HideyoshiYaoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationSTL

Posted August 15 2013 - 03:24 AM

View Postecaflip, on August 14 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is why I'm worried

So then pay ten dollars and get an XP boost_

Who cares if it's pay2notgrind_ Some people don't want to grind for seven hours for a single thing in a game when they can just pay three dollars and get it.  They might not have the time in real life to do it

#72 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted August 15 2013 - 03:43 AM

Posted Image

I can't wait - nice and fresh new look.
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#73 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted August 15 2013 - 04:48 AM

Will we be finally able to customize our mech while in match _ Don't see the answer to this.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#74 Guest_f_error_*

Guest_f_error_*
  • Guests

Posted August 15 2013 - 05:34 AM

I read the announcement last night. Is there any news about server stability, latency issues, map problems, hit registering etc. _
I couldnt find any (maybe i missed it). Honestly my biggest "problem" is to actually play that game without troubles. (or at least not much of them)

As for the grind:
I reached lvl25 on my second mech last night. I have been playing for ~70h now. I know its not much for hawken (sadly) but this time could have been used to playthrough multiple games and even get a good deal into grinding games like Monster Hunter, FF, Diablo etc. (just for mention, no discussion about taste please)
In hawken i still feel far away from being able to actually compete "for real". I have around 25.000HC in the bank and dont know what to spend them on. I have a scout and SS that would need to be leveled more, but its very tiresome and boring. Buying equipment is not so easy because i can only rely on what veterans say. Spending money instead of grinding just before the upcoming patch ... forget it.

Just to get the HC to unlock a weapon, without knowing if i will like it, costs a big amount of time. If i understand correctly, that will be "better" after the patch_
With the info from the screens, hawken seems to drift more away from its "competetive shooter" image. Is that right_ I dont mind spending a few $ here and there. But i do mind spending money on mechs or weapons + equip that i cant even test. And i also mind spending so many hours before i can actually play the game like god old Unreal Tournament.
This is going to worsen with the patch_

#75 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted August 15 2013 - 05:52 AM

F_error i speculate that mechs will be free, it has been stated so. Weapons however seem to now cost ingame currency.

I can't say if this patch will make it so the game shift away from a competitive level, but those screenshots don't seem to help out.

Lastly i would keep those 25k HC in the bank for now until we have a lcear understanding of what compensation there will be when the patch goes live. Imagine spending it all on mechs that won't be refunded. Or on items that will get transfered but cost significantly less (see screenies). But im ecessively cheap :P.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#76 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted August 15 2013 - 06:06 AM

NOOOOO Look at the new UI! The HP bar is not a screen in the mech anymroe :( Hopefully I can select the old UI to use again.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#77 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted August 15 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostHideyoshiYaoi, on August 15 2013 - 03:24 AM, said:

So then pay ten dollars and get an XP boost_

Who cares if it's pay2notgrind_ Some people don't want to grind for seven hours for a single thing in a game when they can just pay three dollars and get it.  They might not have the time in real life to do it
Vertical progression is more than a problem of just time and.

It directly impacts the competitive viability of a game, especially shooters, and creates balance problems that can only be solved by separating the player base by more than is what is truly needed due to power gaps overruling skill.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#78 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted August 15 2013 - 06:54 AM

View Postdavek1979, on August 15 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Will we be finally able to customize our mech while in match _ Don't see the answer to this.

This needs to happen so bad. If not during a match then in between matches so you dont have to leave a good server.

#79 Rajhin

Rajhin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 07:05 AM

So correct me if I am wrong, but when you level your mech to maximum you get a free new mech with skin and some items_ And what if you already have this mechs, can you only take that skin to your mech and have some compensation for refusal_ Or you will be forced to keep this duplicate mech in your garage_
Also it is funny that prize for leveling your Vanguard is Assault. So the chain is CRT-Vanguard-Assault_ I guess next mech should be Grenadier. Just for giggles.

#80 Kataklyzmik

Kataklyzmik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted August 15 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on August 14 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

And before someone goes "But AJK, you can't possibly know that this would ruin comp play", name me a shooter that has been competitively successful and uses vertical progression.

I can see your point.  However, if nobody ever tried something that hasn't yet been done, we'd never have anything new.  Also, it is not a shooter, but LoL is the most competitively successful video game yet and it has vertical progression.  The competitive players are just fully progressed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Announcement, Forum, Patch, Update, News, Exclusive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users