HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

How (not) to Play Siege

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas, baby.

Posted December 28 2013 - 10:49 AM

After watching some stunningly-bad play today, I feel this could be of some use.

Here are some 'Rules' or guidelines to Siege which should be followed for good gameplay.

The Do Not list:

1.  Do NOT launch your ship while the enemy has his in the air.  One exception exists for LVL-30 matches, to block the enemy ship just shy of the AA to prolong the game. Note that doing this usually transforms the game into a hit-and-run supply mission/interdiction scramble until the last ship launches.

2.  Do NOT stand on your base wall and shoot the ship from across the map.  Get in the AA instead, it is FAR more effective at killing ships than you are.

3.  Do NOT have more than one SS on your team, nor more than one Predator.  Reapers have to be able to do CQC.  A second SS has to have CQC guns - there are damn few people who can use a slug rifle in CQC.

4.  Do NOT run EU when it's apparent the other team will launch before you.  This takes judgment and experience to judge.

5.  Do NOT try to protect your K/D in Seige by standing back and lobbing shots at the AA.  It is MUCH better to go in, kill them all or die trying, and then raise your K/D by mopping/camping/pressuring during the last few hundred meters of the ship's approach/assult of the base.

6.  Do NOT keep trying the same tactic - you sharpshooters listening_  If you are sniping from a corner of the road on Frontline or corner upthrust from Origin (or a building or that rock formation in Bazaar) - better players will work around your annoyance the first time, and then hunt and kill you the next time you try it. Likewise, jumping up from the rear flank in Origin will soon get you targeted and worsen your K/D as you become expected.

7.  Healing at the corners of the AA can work sometimes.  Rely on it, and someone with a fast bursty mech will blitz in and kill you.

Things you should do:

1.  Recognize when it's time to go to the AA, and do so.   Usually, if the higher-scoring team members suggest it's time, it's time.  

2.  Deploy your items (turrets, scanners, scramblers) correctly.  Learn what 'correctly' means by observation of what works...

3.  Split the team into those who harass or exploit, those who run EU, and those who set up/protect the AA.  When in a battle, split the teams into those who harass/exploit/hunt annoyances such as snipers, and those who hold the AA.
Good teams at higher levels just do this automatically by noticing who's doing what, or recognizing the need/opportunity.  REALLY good players realize when it's time to switch roles.

4.  Always have a plan in mind for the next change in gamestate - have an escape route, know that if the ship is destroyed in the next 30 seconds what role and destination you will pick, et cetera.

I'd be happy to add/amend the list with suggestions I approve of :P
Posted Image

#2 caduceus26

caduceus26

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted December 28 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on December 28 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

After watching some stunningly-bad play today, I feel this could be of some use.

...snip...

I'd be happy to add/amend the list with suggestions I approve of :P

Here's mine from an earlier post--just to compare notes.  You and I have played SG both as teammates and on opposing teams. I feel ya'. :lol:

https://community.pl...de/page__st__20

ASUS P9X79LE /i7-3820 3.6 (OC 4.7) /Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooling /16 Gb RAM /Dual-SLI EVGA 670 2 Gb Sig II /Antec 850 PSU /Antec 1200 Black Steel Tower
MaddMaxx (Zerker) / Silent Knight (Infil) / BurnYa (Scout) / Scythe (Reaper) / S0ckd0lag3r (Aslt) / PopOff (SS) / Bluto (Bruiser) / xXRoadRageXx (CR-T) / ShiftySwifty (Raider+G2) / PatchUp (Tech) / Krusher (Brawler) / Seekin' Ya'! (Rocketeer) / Doughboy (Vngrd) / FireFly (Incin)

#3 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted December 28 2013 - 01:57 PM

MY to do list:

-enemy ship launches in 10 seconds-

1. Get to AA
2. Attack
3. Focus technichians
4. Kill every mech with low life even if your own life is in danger,

-Our ship will launch in 10 seconds-

1. Get to AA
2. Defend
3. Focus Technicians
4. When we have 5 people at the AA, sneak behind the enemy and harrass:
This has two effects: IF they follow you, they are retreating from the AA (win!) and if they do not follow, you can still do a lot of dmg and kill them and so keep the control of the AA (win!)
Requiers a fast A class.

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#4 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 28 2013 - 05:09 PM

My guide on how not to play siege:

Don't join a siege server :D

#5 Cannonaire

Cannonaire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationUSW

Posted January 02 2014 - 04:07 AM

If any ship is about to launch, get to the AA before an enemy does. If the ship launches with a single enemy at the AA before you get there, it will be under enemy control until you kill him or you get reinforcements. If it's a 1on1 and the others are still on their way, all you have to do to maintain control is run and cover.
Cannonaire - Think millionaire, but with cannons.
HC/MC Calculator (thread) UPDATED 2013/12/21

#6 SeasonzTZK

SeasonzTZK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationHonduras

Posted January 02 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostCall_Me_Ishmael, on December 28 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

5.  Do NOT try to protect your K/D in Seige by standing back and lobbing shots at the AA.  It is MUCH better to go in, kill them all or die trying, and then raise your K/D by mopping/camping/pressuring during the last few hundred meters of the ship's approach/assult of the base.

Whohooo Kamikaze ftw! I can with all of you! :D

On a serious note, find balance; dont do this too much lol

Seasonz Approves this Thread B)  Good Stuff!

p.d. Keep away from base turrets, do you hate that guy so much you are willing to suicide_

Edited by SeasonzTZK, January 02 2014 - 06:15 PM.

Posted Image

"Its not infiltrator, its backstabbertraitor!"

I make beats! https://soundcloud.com/seasonzbeats

#7 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted January 03 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostSeasonzTZK, on January 02 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

p.d. Keep away from base turrets, do you hate that guy so much you are willing to suicide_

...yeah.

#8 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 06 2014 - 11:40 AM

mostly get on the aa.  please for the love of god  do this.

#9 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted January 07 2014 - 03:38 AM

Bacons' suggestions for siege:
  • Send two mechs at most to each of the EU collection points.  If the 'trend' holds, one pair should be able to collect and deliver EU without interference.  The other pair (perhaps three, depending on team size and mechs being used) can go to the other one and harass/stop the other team from collecting and delivering EU.  The more mechs that are at an EU emitter, the slower it's loaded into a mech.  One mech at a time while the other guards, then switch places.
  • The rest of the team goes to the AA and defends it, with the occasional run out from it as needed to support the mechs running EU.
  • Once your side or the enemy team is within around 100 EU from launching, head for the AA.  Don't run back to base to deliver that last load of EU, don't run back to launch the ship before they do, just go.  If you get downed and loose the EU, so what.  Playing the objective at the AA point and in the sphere of influence will more than make up for any XP loss from EU not being delivered from the bonus received.
  • Shooting the ship down is a last resort if you can't get the AA from the other team.  The AA will shoot down the battleship faster.
  • Get on the AA and use it for cover, even if you are in a reaper or a sharpie.  Jump on top of it and dodge around the launch dome.  You are more valuable in the sphere of influence preventing the enemy team from increasing the launch ring or helping speed yours up.  Sitting way in the back trying to hit mechs who are on the AA and using it for cover does not help your team and just costs you XP (not on the AA, don't get the bonuses everyone else is for defending).
  • Once the ship is down, look at how much EU is left for your team or the other team to launch.  If it's around 50 or less, don't leave the AA, stay there and defend it.  The amount of EU needed to launch decreases about one point a second.  Wait it out, don't abandon the AA and your team mates who are paying attention and staying to defend, they will just get stomped by the other team who is already on their way to the AA to kick your team off of it.  Also remember that every mech that is downed takes an amount of EU away from the batteship launch amount.
  • Try to make sure your team has control of the AA before you deliver that last batch of EU.  Launching your battleship when the enemy has the AA is a quick way to loose your ship within a few minutes.
  • Remember that you will repair at a quick rate when unloading EU.  If you are badly damaged but can make it to the base without being downed, do so, don't stop to repair until after you have delivered the EU.  Most, if not all, of your damage will be gone.
And that's all I can think of at this time of night (morning_).

The link in my sig to my basic guide to siege mode was recorded pre-ascension, but the mechanics are unchanged.  Give it a look.  I made it specifically because of my frustrations with newer players not understanding how to play, and in the middle of a match is not the time to teach someone. :)

Edited by bacon_avenger, January 07 2014 - 03:42 AM.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#10 Sadukar

Sadukar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted January 08 2014 - 12:31 AM

I am a siege player myself and there those few games ~1 hour long with 4 5 ships on each side just epic, if people could understand these guidelines and respect them i think those games I speak of would not be that rare. Very well said Bacon, and since this is a team mode, if you are new to the game, try to follow the leader or the guy that seems to carry the team, you get more xp by doing stuff right.
Also keep an eye on the chat, and ears open for any chatter on the team. Information and coordination is key in any team mode, this is no exception.

There are exceptions to these guidelines, but these are situational and contextual, main point is that the AA is key to winning.
If you do not see this signature don't worry it is not really invisible, its infiltrating, look closely and you might see some distorsion,

#11 eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationEast

Posted January 13 2014 - 10:04 PM

Always let your team know when you're dumping or carrying EU and go to the AA when somebody is already carrying EU for launch. A team that doesn't waste time with extra trips gets to be the early bird.

Edited by eth0, January 13 2014 - 10:04 PM.

[My MMR]
[Who is streaming HAWKEN right now_]
[Hawken Wishlist 2014.09.11]:
Spoiler

#12 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 09:42 AM

With the changes to siege now I think there are some important updates to be had.
  • Do launch ships as early and often as possible especially now that the ships only shoot each other and the base
  • Do shoot out enemy ship turrets as that reduces dps to your battleship and to your base.
  • Do get on the AA
  • To take the AA from those holding it use two techs, a grenadier, and some vanguards
  • To hold the AA a predator laying down mines works wonders for trapping the inside of the AA
  • Pay special attention to the fact that I'm mentioning the AA in most of these points...that means get on the fuzzy bunny AA as soon as you can after you spawn.
  • Only 2 mechs for the first 3 or so launches should be needed.  Please for the love of god buy the extractor internal...you get EU 50% faster and also get hp 50% faster from repair orbs.
  • If you see the enemy is close to launching get on the AA and take it so they can't.  Also when dodging on the aa try and stay within the colored control border...it has since been tightened up in the last patch.
  • If someone is typing in team chat to do something...please fuzzy bunny do it.  If you don't see a tech on the team...get in a technician.
  • If there is more than one sniper and you are a sniper...get in something else that is more useful on/in the AA.
  • Do not chase people off the AA...pull back and repair and prepare to rebuff the next push.
  • watch your fuzzy bunny radar
  • get a headset/mic so you can communicate
  • stop being a bad
  • B/C class mechs are your friend
  • If you see an entire team of rocketteers just leave the server it won't be fun
    • Yes there is a counter to rocketteers but if you join one of these matches people are likely too dumb to figure it out.

#13 parkillernes

parkillernes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 04:29 PM

I think these are good true guidelines but in reality in siege collecting as much eu as possible what with the whole ships do damage across the map there is a whole lot more EU collection than AA Holding

#14 ThatDamnedBoedy

ThatDamnedBoedy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 10:36 PM

View Postparkillernes, on January 22 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

I think these are good true guidelines but in reality in siege collecting as much eu as possible what with the whole ships do damage across the map there is a whole lot more EU collection than AA Holding

The reality is that teams need to coordinate better.  There should only ever be one or two people on a full team collecting and the rest should be skirmishing at the AA or trapping choke points.  The winning team won't be the one with the majority  of people getting EU.  I guarantee that.  The losing team will also be the team that chases enemies too far from the aa and loses control via a lower count of people on the aa.

#15 CapAllan

CapAllan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFitting my Incinerator's cockpit with neon lights and a 7.1 surround sound speaker system at Loui's Garage, Illal

Posted July 08 2014 - 10:32 AM

Hi guys! I launch my ship even after the enemy's ship is still in air cuz' it deals extra damage and helps in taking the enemy ship down. (PS : Do this when your teammates are all newbies and can't take over the AA. (PPS : There are consequences. 1) Your ship will go KABOOM almost instantaneously. 2) More EU will be required the next time you're going to launch a ship.)).
Posted Image

Edited by CapAllan, July 08 2014 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image

#16 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted July 08 2014 - 12:28 PM

And for noobs, if you can't remember all this, just go by what the Cockpit Voice prompts recommend. "Uuhhh, we could use more EU at the base, guys...", or "Get to the AA!"   Easy enough to figure out. And finallly:
AA
AA
AA
AA
ok_

Edited by EM1O, July 08 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#17 Barbie_in_a_Mech

Barbie_in_a_Mech

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHidden in your bedroom, gathering intel for your sister.

Posted July 08 2014 - 02:38 PM

Do not play a sniper role if you can't hit your targets.  Go to the AA, get yourself killed, and switch to something else.

I once thought I had support fire from the SS and predator always perched away from the AA.  I was wrong because they were unable to deal any damage.  They were so useless.

Posted Image

#18 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted July 08 2014 - 03:08 PM

Do NOT have more than one SS on your team
it's a gold rule.
two tech in one team - fail from start.

another gold rule.
6 C-class never lose in siege. only if enemy team have 6 C-class too. :lol:

#19 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:23 AM

Tickle's suggestion. Read the first two posts here. https://community.pl...siege-tutorial/ I'm pretty sure everything that's split up between the original post and these comments is more accurately, and more concisely stated right there.

View Postnepacaka, on July 08 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Do NOT have more than one SS on your team
it's a gold rule.
two tech in one team - fail from start.

another gold rule.
6 C-class never lose in siege. only if enemy team have 6 C-class too. :lol:
Try playing against a team with two techs with health orbs, two incins with more health orbs, and two berserkers with emps on origin. It's a hard thing to counter. There's a time and a place for literally everything people have been saying not to do.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, July 14 2014 - 09:25 AM.

Posted Image

#20 GustoSpiegel

GustoSpiegel

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted July 26 2014 - 04:43 PM

In the even that you still don't know what to do in siege, follow my 12 minute Siege shortie

perfect show of what to do.  I'll post more as I record more

cheers,

GustoSpiegel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users