HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Why & How: Tech

Forum

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted February 16 2014 - 03:25 PM

I gotta say, your tips are working pretty great. I could also be because other players are relatively low level, but I'm still pretty proud :D.

Attached File  2014-02-25_00001.jpg   77.04K   168 downloads

As always, any and all feedback appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updat 4: see reply 14 & 16.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 3:

As I said: Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Posted ImageDuralumi, on February 21 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

High-level tech gameplay literally consists of three things:
  • Stay out of your allies way, as well as their escape route.
  • Heal those who need it (i.e., those who successfully retreat).
  • Use your ability when something needs to get back into the fight
Good tip on the escape route.

That is good defensive play, but how about offensive_ Any tips on using EMP or disruptor in DTM_ I've started using the EMP more and try to attack more. I used to have two Techs, when there was still tuning. One was fast and meant to deal a lot of damage, the other was for defense and repair. But now that tuning is removed, I have little use for the other one. I am planning to use it for experimentation of items, and have my "main" tech as a backup if the team needs or requests it.

Any tips on equipment_

Any and all feedback appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Update 2:[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tech in TDM is almost always 1st place because you get "repaired teammate" score, while others don't. Other mechs only get score when they kill, while a Tech gets score for not fighting AND fighting. You have 2 ways to score instead of one. This is to equalize the fact that it is so hard to kill anybody as Tech, with a lesser offense and reach, but also means you get score whilst not in AND in battle, while others get score only when active in battle. Tech is a passive role, with exceptions. That's also why it's such a niche class, because it wants you to stop playing HAWKEN as a shooter.

It isn't about the score in TDM, it's about the role and use in TDM. (Or any other gamemode.)  I would even go as far to say that personal score doesn't matter, but that would go into the psychology (personal reward) aspect of the game, witch this thread isn't about. (Maybe later.)
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Update 1: see reply #6.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks to everyone for replying.

You’re right, the Tech is overpowered in some situations and underpowered in others. But I feel that the Tech is just too different from other mechs. At this point it’s too different, it doesn’t fit in. Now, I think that is a positive thing, because it’s so different. Like you said, it’s a niche role.

My fear is that, because the reduced overall health hawken WILL become a mech-style CoD. You can have the perfect game, but it’s worthless if you can’t stay alive long enough to use mechanics effectively. Also, now that I think about it more in depth, Tech is kind of a gimmick mech. Ether you’re close to your team and survive, or as Sneth said, “you are almost useless alone.  You really need to catch someone off guard to get a kill.”

But this thread isn’t to complain about the reduced health. Altough I just did.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The prestige weapon for Tech is something I am looking forward to. I believe that the Redox-02 already has a bleed like effect, because of the increased damage received. I don’t think a AOE heal is a good option, but you would sacrifice all offensive capability’s (except for disassembler) for more healing prowess. A speed boost would be most useful, but I don’t see how you could make that into a “weapon”. (Maybe a front mounted booster  to propel you backwards, with some sort of smoke to escape_ I can dream!)[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Any and all feedback is apriciated.[/font]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As somebody who hasn't played HAWKEN in +- a month and resarted with the recent update & steam releace, here is what I have to say. (Possibility of rant. You have been warned.)

I only play tech and only in TDM, and I feel tech is underpowered in this respect.There is currently one way it is meant to be played: defensively. I used to play alot more offensive, but I try to adapt to the new mechanics. Here is why:

The Helix Torch (healing beam of hope and dreams) is more effective when “out” of battle, compared to “in” battle. This gives me the impression that people are meant to fight on the front line, retreat and get healed. There are two problems with this:

A ) Seeing as the maps are designed like clockwork (impressively well designed), every defensive point is perectly flankabel. This means you can attack from at least 3 sides, so there never is a "frontline", and there is nowhere to retreat to and no place to safely repair & get repaired.

B ) With the reduced health there is almost no opportunity to run away in. The turning & walking speed of mechs meant for defence is simply too slow to accomodate for the high damge output from assault focussed mechs. Trying to heal a c-class mech is one thing, but getting to him or him trying to get to you (as apparently meant in point a) is a task in and of itself. With the measly 350 armor current techs posses (as of wreakage/steam update) you can die in 2 wellplaced long ranged shots (from experience). Frankly said I can die in 2 seconds. I used to be able to actually reach any a,b&c-class and repair them at least a little bit, but now I simply cannot reach them, or them me.

Another option is moving around and healing whomever is in battle, at witch point the Helix Torch is less effective and, again with the reduced armor, I am too exposed and die to quickly.

Thirdly, if I as mutch as see another mech and I am alone, I'm often dead because of the reduced offensive ability and low health. I used to be able to escape because of 550 armor (vs the current 350 armor) and meet up with the team and survive.

I am confused. Am I supposed to stay back and watch my team get killed or move around and get killed myself_ Tech isn't build for offence. It isn't build for defence. What role does it play_ What can I do other than fail at repairing my team_

I am not giving up on tech! It is by far the most fun and unique mech and has some intresting challenges. But right now I am simply confused.

Now excuse me as I try other gamemodes and adapt as well as I can manage.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Feel free to post any and all tips or ideas or anything to help.[/font]

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, February 25 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#2 Elladan

Elladan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 04:14 PM

hmmmm not sure how it works from tech side but lastly I had on my vanguard tech sticked - and I liked that - I was in turret mode and we were placed on place where actually with a little of efford I could manage defending all ways hostiles tried to get us and there was always someone watching my back (very weakspot on vangy in turret mode) and while shooting to guys that wanted to kill us my most issue was to not overheat my weapons cause dmg reduction on front + heal from tech was enough to keep me running for very looong time :)
actually our pair made great input in that TDM match for our team and was forced to go away from that position cause all our team decided to move too far away from us and that created a danger of having to face all enemy team and I'm fraid that would be too much :)
"There are only 10 types of people: those who konws, binary, those who don't and those whoa were not expecting a jok about tetriary...."

"cause I am the VANGUARD"[pic W.I.P here]

#3 Misaniovent

Misaniovent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 05:26 PM

I've been seeing a lot of Siege matches using multiple C classes and at least one Technician, if not two. I've also seen the Tech/Incinerator combo in many games -- it is extremely strong and very hard to stop.

#4 Sneth

Sneth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:12 PM

I think you are looking at the Tech from only one perspective.  

I am having a great time with it.  You really have to use the terrain to hide while healing. There's not enough healing if someone sits there flat footed and over confident.   Any more healing and it would be a little unbalanced.  I wish the Heal Skill boost lasted a few seconds longer,  but it's still not useless.

I started off by only healing.  That's still very effective.  However, now I'm getting much better at switching to suppressing fire as needed.  I'm even to the point where I can Heal and shoot effectively.  Relying on your tethered friend to kill the target isn't always the best option.

After a lot of games, i feel like I'm getting much more dynamic in switching between offensive and defensive.

My main gripe would be you are almost useless alone.  You really need to catch someone off guard to get a kill.   Maybe have the tether be a life leech instead of a debuff_

#5 Voksen

Voksen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 12:17 AM

I love where the tech is currently.  I'd love to see that prestige weapon apply some kind of healing-over-time (HoT), damage-over-time (DoT) effect, heating/fuel bleed effect, x% dmg boost or mitigation, or y% speed bost/mitigation.  Thinking in terms of buffs, debuffs, and utility is what keeps this game strategic.  You can argue about the output level of certain mechanics all you want, but having too few of them and you're right back to mecha-based CoD.  Of course, too many and you're into gimmick/spam territory.  Right now the tech feels overpowered in some situations but underpowered in others -- which is just what you want for a niche role.  Like most mechs the depth/complexity is there -- its getting the right teams together to really make use o all these dimensions that is hard(er).

Edited by Voksen, February 17 2014 - 12:22 AM.

#6 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted February 17 2014 - 08:17 AM

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks to everyone for replying.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]You’re right, the Tech is overpowered in some situations and underpowered in others. But I feel that the Tech is just too different from other mechs. At this point it’s too different, it doesn’t fit in. Now, I think that is a positive thing, because it’s so different. Like you said, it’s a niche role.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My fear is that, because the reduced overall health hawken WILL become a mech-style CoD. You can have the perfect game, but it’s worthless if you can’t stay alive long enough to use mechanics effectively. Also, now that I think about it more in depth, Tech is kind of a gimmick mech. Ether you’re close to your team and survive, or as Sneth said, “you are almost useless alone.  You really need to catch someone off guard to get a kill.”[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]But this thread isn’t to complain about the reduced health. Altough I just did[/font].

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]The prestige weapon for Tech is something I am looking forward to. I believe that the Redox-02 already has a bleed like effect, because of the increased damage received. I don’t think a AOE heal is a good option, but you would sacrifice all offensive capability’s (except for disassembler) for more healing prowess. A speed boost would be most useful, but I don’t see how you could make that into a “weapon”. (Maybe a front mounted booster  to propel you backwards, with some sort of smoke to escape_ I can dream!)[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Any and all feedback is apriciated.[/font]

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, February 17 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#7 StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted February 20 2014 - 01:52 PM

I think the Tech is pretty flexible.  I've seen several players win 1st place in a Deathmatch or TDM with the tech... and they can do it every time.  Heck, I've even taken 1st with a Tech quite a few times in those modes... and I suck pretty bad most of the time. So, my opinion is that the Tech is probably just fine the way it is and it's just a matter of figuring out how it works in different games.

#8 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted February 20 2014 - 02:20 PM

Tech in TDM is almost always 1st place because you get "repaired teammate" score, while others don't. Other mechs only get score when they kill, while a Tech gets score for not fighting AND fighting. You have 2 ways to score instead of one. This is to equalize the fact that it is so hard to kill anybody as Tech, with a lesser offense and reach, but also means you get score whilst not in AND in battle, while others get score only when active in battle. Tech is a passive role, with exceptions. That's also why it's such a niche class, because it wants you to stop playing HAWKEN as a shooter.

It isn't about the score in TDM, it's about the role and use in TDM. (Or any other gamemode.)  I would even go as far to say that personal score doesn't matter, but that would go into the psychology (personal reward) aspect of the game, witch this thread isn't about. (Maybe later.)

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, February 20 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#9 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted February 20 2014 - 11:50 PM

if you face the right tech in a game, there's no way you can possibly win.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#10 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted February 21 2014 - 01:58 AM

Tech is fun but I'm always goofing off in it. I'm usually running in with the rpr guns blazing and laying waste to my enemies... what disturbs me is that this works.

You have a sticky secondary and a fast firing primary with reasonable dps. Aiming isn't hard when one of your guns automagically locks on and with air dodge you are a pain in the rear to take down. The playstyle is best described as the randy jack russel have it off with the vicar's leg.

When i play properly as support and occasional leg humping I'll usually top the charts. I don't really do that with many of the other mechs.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#11 Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 05:40 AM

People are seriously struggling to play Technician of all mechs_
I cannot believe it. High-level tech gameplay literally consists of three things:

• Use your ability when something needs to get back into the fight quickly.

In any case Tech is cancer and always will be until they get rid of the Helix Repair Torch and give it a bigger version of the Redox instead.

Edited by Duralumi, February 21 2014 - 05:41 AM.

After disabling signatures I found my forum-browsing experience had improved marginally.

#12 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted February 22 2014 - 01:19 PM

As I said: Any and all feedback is appreciated.

View PostDuralumi, on February 21 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

High-level tech gameplay literally consists of three things:

• Use your ability when something needs to get back into the fight

Good tip on the escape route.

That is good defensive play, but how about offensive_ Any tips on using EMP or disruptor in DTM_ I've started using the EMP more and try to attack more. I used to have two Techs, when there was still tuning. One was fast and meant to deal a lot of damage, the other was for defense and repair. But now that tuning is removed, I have little use for the other one. I am planning to use it for experimentation of items, and have my "main" tech as a backup if the team needs or requests it.

Any tips on equipment_

#13 kazuya989

kazuya989

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDisguissed as Ninja_Goat

Posted February 25 2014 - 04:16 AM

Playing the Tech offensively is much more difficult since health patch, but not impossible.

Never stop moving side to side,  do not walk in a straight line.  Even when healing a mech in combat, dodge from side to side whilst maintaining beam lock.  Never stay still.  

Use team as shields, stay as low as you can, wait for the enemy health to get to about 50%.

At that point dodge to side of mech you were healing, switch helix to Red and attack.

Dodge time was reduced down to 1 second, use it constantly, but not the same way unless your heading for cover. Go left Go right, mix it with little bursts into the air to confuse opponent.

All the time keep the red bean on them and your primary laying into them.

Also with Tech, as you are slightly behind front lines you have chance to walk round the flank and engage an enemy who isn't looking at you.  1or2 seconds is usually enough.

Items  :  Detonator MK3 + anything (heal orb)

Internals   :  Extractor, Armour Fusor, replenisher  are all good for tech.

check out my uTube page

for videos of Hawken gameplay

#14 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted February 25 2014 - 07:56 AM

View Postkazuya989, on February 25 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

Items  :  Detonator MK3 + anything (heal orb)

Internals   :  Extractor, Armour Fusor, replenisher  are all good for tech.
Thanks, I'll try those out.
I've got more luck finishing players off and actually get pretty good K/D since I started using:
Scanner MK-1
EMP MK-1
Repair charge MK-1
with Air Compressor, basic deflectors and evasive device.

I was saving up for  EMP MK-3 to really get the upper hand ( actually, I think I have enough HC now ), but I don't want to lose the Scanner MK-1. That way I can "see" what's around corners. Maybe I'll change it to Detonator MK3 for direct damage.

..., wait for the enemy health to get to about 50%.

Also with Tech, as you are slightly behind front lines you have chance to walk round the flank and engage an enemy who isn't looking at you.  1or2 seconds is usually enough.

Now that's some useful advice. I'll try to keep it in mind when playing.

Thanks a lot!

#15 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted February 25 2014 - 08:10 AM

When you can, flying over teammates for a bit to land a few Redox hits can help in a fight.

Tech can be nasty in a 1v1 if they saw you coming already and land Redox shots well.

Edited by Stingz, February 25 2014 - 08:11 AM.

Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#16 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted February 25 2014 - 08:24 AM

View PostStingz, on February 25 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

When you can, flying over teammates for a bit to land a few Redox hits can help in a fight.

Tech can be nasty in a 1v1 if they saw you coming already and land Redox shots well.

I dislike Redox, because to use the dissaembeler (red vampire beam of sunshine and dreams) you have to get close to your target. And het Redox does splash damage, wich does affect you. Call me a noob, but I often just kill myself. I have succesfully used this tactic on other Techs tho, getting close to them and make them take pretty close to as much damage as me + my trusty Hawking-RPR. Also the slow "bullet" speed makes it hard for me to use. I prefer the Hawking-RPR because of the long range. What can I say, it's the easy to use gun.

Tell you what, I will see this as a challenge. I'll try to get used to the Redox. Wish me luck...

Thanks for the tips!

#17 Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBelgium, GMT+1

Posted February 25 2014 - 12:15 PM

I gotta say, your tips are working pretty great. I could also be because other players are relatively low level, but I'm still pretty proud :D.

Attached File  2014-02-25_00001.jpg   77.04K   168 downloads

As always, any and all feedback appreciated.

#18 kazuya989

kazuya989

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 03:49 AM

Very nice play, it's great to see other dedicate offensive Tech players,  Tech gets a bad rep because it's too easy to sit behind and heal all match, but playing offensively is hard, but more rewarding.

Keep up the good work,

If you like good teamwork you should think about joining a clan,  I am a squad leader in TAW and I play allot of Tech whilst leading my squad (all on teamspeak).

It's allot of fun and a great way to make friends, with very good players who will train you (if you want to), and the games we play are soooo much better than PUB matches.  We have a wide variety of European nations in our EU Battalion.

Last night we did an all Tech death-match which was crazy good fun.

Send me a PM or reply in this post if you are interested, or a friend request in game.

We are also in the Clan section of the forums https://community.pl...re/unread/  and our website is  www.TAW.Net.

Keep on stomping mechs pilot ;)

check out my uTube page

#19 Slayzz

Slayzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 03:19 AM

After a couple of days playing tech i must say, he is only good in offensive to get the last hits. It´s only a assist-machine with small hp, small dmg, small heal and perma-overheating (if i use both weapons at once) without incinerator in front of you. I lose almost every 1vs1 if i use red beam + redox because of overheating.
(I play other a-mechs too, with less problems respecting the low hp-pool.)

I like to play support in other games, but here ... no way.

I certainly do fails in my tech-gameplay, but if i must be a tech-pro first to be effective (offensive + healing) for my team, i must say this tech need a new adjustment.

It´s only my opinion & sorry for my bad english, it´s not my native language ;)

#20 kazuya989

kazuya989

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted February 28 2014 - 04:17 AM

@Slayzz

An offensive Technician is an ambush mech. :ph34r:

Think of it as an infiltrator without the cloak and alpha strike. Take a Detonator Mk3 if you intend to play offensive.

Never ever attack another mech head on - unless that mech has 50% health or less.

Allow the enermy mech to start fighting with one of your team, and move round the flank and attack,  it is likely they wont even notice you until its too late.  Keep dodging,  1 sec cooldown is very good for tech.

In between fights stay with team and heal them up.

Consider joining a clan.  They will be experienced players (like me) who sill be happy to teach you how to play mechs properly.
You also get to make loads of new friends to play with, its by far the best way to play Hawken :)

P.S. your English is very good ;)

check out my uTube page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users