HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Rocketeer, the anti fun

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLast Sighted: Praxis Valley

Posted May 05 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostMeraple, on May 05 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

Do you want to be congratulated or something_ :mellow:

This is why I don't try to be funny very often.
Posted Image

eth0 said:

are you made of cupcakes and puppies_

View PostSylhiri, on July 13 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the epeen.

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 13 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#102 McMatt

McMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationStar Citizen

Posted May 05 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostClimatic, on March 26 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

I played against a competent Rocketeer pilot on bunker with level 3 portable radar. I honestly could not think of a way to counter play it. If any of you brilliant people comes up with a way to counter play this, I'm all ears.

Team work. Rocketeer has no chance against 2 or 3 mechs of A or B classes (scout, assault ...). Flank attack and from behind.

MSI Z87-G43 | i54670K@3400 | 8192 Mb DDR3 @ 1866Mhz | Gigabyte Nvidia GTX760 OC Windforce 3x rev2.0 2Gb |

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2433BW 24" @ 1920 x 1200 | Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro | TM T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR 5 Pro

#103 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted May 06 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostKilleR_OrigiNs, on May 05 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

View PostMeraple, on May 05 2014 - 05:23 AM, said:

Do you want to be congratulated or something_ :mellow:

This is why I don't try to be funny very often.

Forgive my ignorance, but it didn't seem very funny.
It seemed more like bragging about something easy and a rant IMHO.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#104 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted May 06 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostFakeName, on March 06 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

I would be fine with an item called FLARES
which basically disbales every tracking weapon for a short duration (around 2-3 seconds) and is only for a specific area (a bigger one).
Tracking weapons are weapons like Hellfire, Seeker, Helix Torch, EOC (mines will only explode if mechs are stepping DIRECTLY on it) etc.

I would give up a six slot internal just so I never have to hear the lock on or tracking noise in my hawken career
Posted Image

#105 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted May 06 2014 - 06:47 AM

There is a really easy trick for avoiding seekers:  Get in close, leg-hump the rocketeer, and stay moving.  Seen that many times on my rocketeer and it made the target unhittable with seekers or hellfires.  Especially if you are facing a scout, beserker, or another A class mech that is uber fast.  You can fire the seeker, but the mech will be gone by the time the projectile gets to their location.  The hellfire missiles are not much better.  You can blind fire (no chance to hit with locked missiles at that range), but hitting something fast and close is hard.  Even if you do hit, if they are close enough you will take some of the splash damage yourself.

Seen it more times than I'd care to.  Luckily, there are a lot of A class pilots who get intimidated by the rocketeer and try to run way, when they could have run in close, and used their proximity and mobility to keep them safe.

#106 McMatt

McMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationStar Citizen

Posted May 06 2014 - 10:58 PM

View Postrenynzea, on May 06 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

There is a really easy trick for avoiding seekers:  Get in close, leg-hump the rocketeer, and stay moving.  Seen that many times on my rocketeer and it made the target unhittable with seekers or hellfires.  Especially if you are facing a scout, beserker, or another A class mech that is uber fast.  You can fire the seeker, but the mech will be gone by the time the projectile gets to their location.  The hellfire missiles are not much better.  You can blind fire (no chance to hit with locked missiles at that range), but hitting something fast and close is hard.  Even if you do hit, if they are close enough you will take some of the splash damage yourself.

Seen it more times than I'd care to.  Luckily, there are a lot of A class pilots who get intimidated by the rocketeer and try to run way, when they could have run in close, and used their proximity and mobility to keep them safe.

True. I'm more afraid of zeeks and scouts as rocketeer than rocketeers when I'm scout.

MSI Z87-G43 | i54670K@3400 | 8192 Mb DDR3 @ 1866Mhz | Gigabyte Nvidia GTX760 OC Windforce 3x rev2.0 2Gb |

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2433BW 24" @ 1920 x 1200 | Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro | TM T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR 5 Pro

#107 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted May 06 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostBattlesbreak, on April 29 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

I myself hate rocketeer a lot the mid to long range suppression of Rocketeer is just unbeatable on fortified zone by enemies all ready cleaning up those is pain and rocketeer just taunting at you and your team mates keeping them away. I would say that Rocketeer is slightly too good when know how to play (I am not meaning skill) the weaponry just allows too much suppression (and pretty much impossible to have butsecks with that thing because of his allies) I had once a match what ended 5-2 to our team's victory thanks to G2 brutalizing totally the Rocketeer down. (Scout and berserker at our team and enemy team had grenadier, Rocketeer and Technician) Just nerf rocketeer he is just way too good for being suppression. More I would fuzzy bunny take on against 2 damn bruisers as Infiltrator than god damn Rocketeer. (map was that snow map)

Dude, you really are just QQing hard now. What you are describing here is good teamplay. If you cant get to the rocketeer in question, then he's playing his class perfectly and his team is supporting each other well. I play all weapons on rocketeer, depending on the map (eoc/heat for wreckage etc, seeker for more open maps) and i can honestly say that the suppression wep (i.e. Seekers) are not OP. Have you ever played rocketeer_ do you understand how slow seekers move_ Not to mention the sub-par DPS. to be getting solid kills and assists with them you need to be constantly taking your position into account, constantly working out LOS and making sure you aren't getting flanked (more than 1 mech in CQC with a rocketeer=a very dead rocketeer). Mastering how seekers work isnt all that hard, i'll grant you that, but getting them to consistently land on your target takes some good piloting.

essentially dude, your multiple deaths at the hands of rocketeers is down to your lack of understanding of how us rocketeer pilots operate. Learn to hug cover, learn to flank, learn to work with the group to overcome suppression. Rocketeer does not need a nerf, seekers are perfect as they are. Pray you dont meet me on the battlefield.

Lots of love

GM

Edited by Gh0stMantis, May 06 2014 - 11:36 PM.

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#108 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 12:37 AM

View PostGh0stMantis, on May 06 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

I myself hate rocketeer a lot the mid to long range suppression of Rocketeer is just unbeatable on fortified zone by enemies all ready cleaning up those is pain and rocketeer just taunting at you and your team mates keeping them away. I would say that Rocketeer is slightly too good when know how to play (I am not meaning skill) the weaponry just allows too much suppression (and pretty much impossible to have butsecks with that thing because of his allies) I had once a match what ended 5-2 to our team's victory thanks to G2 brutalizing totally the Rocketeer down. (Scout and berserker at our team and enemy team had grenadier, Rocketeer and Technician) Just nerf rocketeer he is just way too good for being suppression. More I would fuzzy bunny take on against 2 damn bruisers as Infiltrator than god damn Rocketeer. (map was that snow map)

Dude, you really are just QQing hard now. What you are describing here is good teamplay. If you cant get to the rocketeer in question, then he's playing his class perfectly and his team is supporting each other well. I play all weapons on rocketeer, depending on the map (eoc/heat for wreckage etc, seeker for more open maps) and i can honestly say that the suppression wep (i.e. Seekers) are not OP. Have you ever played rocketeer_ do you understand how slow seekers move_ Not to mention the sub-par DPS. to be getting solid kills and assists with them you need to be constantly taking your position into account, constantly working out LOS and making sure you aren't getting flanked (more than 1 mech in CQC with a rocketeer=a very dead rocketeer). Mastering how seekers work isnt all that hard, i'll grant you that, but getting them to consistently land on your target takes some good piloting.

essentially dude, your multiple deaths at the hands of rocketeers is down to your lack of understanding of how us rocketeer pilots operate. Learn to hug cover, learn to flank, learn to work with the group to overcome suppression. Rocketeer does not need a nerf, seekers are perfect as they are. Pray you dont meet me on the battlefield.

Lots of love

GM

The open ground is the problem here and how the Rocketeer can utilize it for pretty much everything aerial mobility is something what is also unacceptable I would more beat down a raider with a Vanguard than fight a Rocketeer. + As was said bunker is a bad map and one rocketeer is able to turn whole match at that map in to all leaving the whole server and lose 0.1% of win rate from nothing. Hugging cover just doesn't always work then there are several other threats to stay alert of. So yeah. I guess you can pretty much already see what kind of bad people is at the IG already.

They just can't do the work and I am carrying the whole fuzzy bunny. I today at early morning left like 6 matches because teams being useful like my rubbish bin of my old homeworks from school. It is just literally impossible to play this game because of those groups. I am seriously thinking that matchmaking and Rocketeer needs changes. I would gladly see Rocketeer removed and match making made somewhat less painful.

For the amount of damage, sustained fire and aerial mobility I think Rocketeer is just still too good. I might take it for a try and I need to say to be prepared for argues of how OP it is. I can flank rocketeer easily and I have done it so many times that I can call it to be my troll tool. For to be C-Class and having highest aerial speed of all of them. He is just reaching so much things that it makes me think whole mech to be utterly distasteful even Bruiser is much more nice to work against than damn Rocketeer who can cover like three three routes + his allies does rest of the work.

While Bruiser however can only keep like two entrances suppressed against flanks. Sniping is useless tool because Rocketeer player does know when taking fire of course you take cover at let Infiltrator, Scout or Berserker go clean up his bane. Or just does the dirty work itself by coming to situation. Flanking is barely viable but highly effective reason why. It is either the Rocketeer player has brain working and keeps eye on pretty much every place or his allies are watching his back.

#109 Gh0stMantis

Gh0stMantis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationIn a cave, with a box of scraps.

Posted May 07 2014 - 03:04 AM

View PostBattlesbreak, on May 07 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

View PostGh0stMantis, on May 06 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Lots of love

GM

The open ground is the problem here and how the Rocketeer can utilize it for pretty much everything aerial mobility is something what is also unacceptable I would more beat down a raider with a Vanguard than fight a Rocketeer. + As was said bunker is a bad map and one rocketeer is able to turn whole match at that map in to all leaving the whole server and lose 0.1% of win rate from nothing. Hugging cover just doesn't always work then there are several other threats to stay alert of. So yeah. I guess you can pretty much already see what kind of bad people is at the IG already.

They just can't do the work and I am carrying the whole fuzzy bunny. I today at early morning left like 6 matches because teams being useful like my rubbish bin of my old homeworks from school. It is just literally impossible to play this game because of those groups. I am seriously thinking that matchmaking and Rocketeer needs changes. I would gladly see Rocketeer removed and match making made somewhat less painful.

For the amount of damage, sustained fire and aerial mobility I think Rocketeer is just still too good. I might take it for a try and I need to say to be prepared for argues of how OP it is. I can flank rocketeer easily and I have done it so many times that I can call it to be my troll tool. For to be C-Class and having highest aerial speed of all of them. He is just reaching so much things that it makes me think whole mech to be utterly distasteful even Bruiser is much more nice to work against than damn Rocketeer who can cover like three three routes + his allies does rest of the work.

While Bruiser however can only keep like two entrances suppressed against flanks. Sniping is useless tool because Rocketeer player does know when taking fire of course you take cover at let Infiltrator, Scout or Berserker go clean up his bane. Or just does the dirty work itself by coming to situation. Flanking is barely viable but highly effective reason why. It is either the Rocketeer player has brain working and keeps eye on pretty much every place or his allies are watching his back.

firstly, If youre staying in open ground against a rocketeer, you deserve to get b1tchslapped. secondly, the rocketeers aerial speed is only 30. it is slow as hell on the ground, and if it didnt have some aerial prowess, alot of basic rocketeer tactics just wouldnt work. (I myself run an airdodge rocketeer with a fuel converter). if you want to have a go at an aerial prowess mech, have a go at the berzerkers with their insane airspeed of 42. an air-zerker played well is near impossible to hit. but any mech played well is hard to beat, right_ same with rocketeers. Buy one and see for yourself. The rocketeer is easy to pick up in terms of starting weaponry, but the playstyle is completely different from any other mech ive played. You need good tactics, and excellent foward thinking. Learning how to use it well at any other range apart from long/mid-long took time for me. You've either come across a lot of excellent rocketeer pilots, or you dont know when to run. It is, after all, a suppression class. its SUPPOSED to make you think twice about ducking out of cover.

Granted, the matchmaking is abysmal, but there is no, i repeat NO problem with the Rocketeer.

Edited by Gh0stMantis, May 07 2014 - 03:23 AM.

Posted Image

'The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands,

but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.'

- Sun Tzu -

#110 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted May 07 2014 - 05:12 AM

What Mantis said.  Play the rocketeer, get good with it, then come back and say it is OP.  I guarantee you that once you play it, especially in the 2K+ MMR brackets, you will have an entirely different opinion of this mech.  (That and a healthy respect for the pilots who play it well.)

#111 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted May 07 2014 - 08:23 AM

Have you ever played rocketeer_
sure

that the suppression wep (i.e. Seekers) are not OP.
HF - is very weak weapon. Seeker...it's OP.

do you understand how slow seekers move_
yes. seeker flying speed faster than TOW and HF
problem in seeker, not in HF. HF need a buff.
seeker need be rework mechanism of shoot. increase damage per rocket, and slow fire rate, it's very high now (just pew-pew). i agree with seeker deal higher damage, but not shoot like an auto-cannon.

also, rocketeer have a big problem with EOC and HEAT how. Early (on beta and ascention) those weapons was normal, because HF deal more damage, and heat-bullet help you kill enemy.

But now, HF have a high reload time, and low damage. and EOC and heat is very slow weapon to kill enemy. it's wrong mechanic of rocketeer.

HF need be a seriously buff, because you, people, with your whining, totally kill EOC- and Heat-rocketeer in game. now it's just unplayable against any sustain weapon, and weak against other alpha-strike mech, cuz rock very slow for this. without normal HF damage - this mech is unplayable agains other mech.

reworking seeker mechanism. return HF damage. make rocketeer alive!

Edited by nepacaka, May 07 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#112 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted May 07 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostLONEDEADWOLF, on May 03 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

I am so shocked some of you are calling for a nerf and its one of the most unforgiving mechs next to Brawler./...Use cover for gods sake and stop whining like little kids who got there but spanked by mommy.....lol Learn to play and if your in the open a sniper can smack that as easy as a Tow or Hell fires..Grenades anyone_....so use cover or die like the dogs you are.........btw Leave my Dirty Rock Boy a lone.....He needs a Hell fire buff....lol

BTW Kasei, i hate you and your Sig......lol....I really love that very nice.........so jealous...so so so jealous......

In a duel yesterday I was able to sideboost hellfires out in the open and close the gap with my grenadier.  I actually feel bad for the rocketeer players when their team can't defend them.  Once my gren gets anywhere close to the rocketeer, it's almost always lights out time.  As a rocketeer player (I play one a lot) I either have to dumbfire in close quarters or get airborne, lock and angle my hellfires in a path I believe the enemy will be side dodging to do damage.  If I can rock-paper-scissors a somewhat timid A-class I can ususally beat them.  Against a skilled player, my odds aren't good.

I agree that in no way does the rocketeer need nerfing.  Even in Bunker teams have adapted and the rocketeer doesn't reign supreme.
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#113 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted May 07 2014 - 03:32 PM

I agree that in no way does the rocketeer need nerfing.  Even in Bunker teams have adapted and the rocketeer doesn't reign supreme.
just added some high column on bunker. then - bunker will fixed. and then - buff HF.

111 damage and 3.25 sec reload it's not serious (actually more, + time to lock on before u shot) and useless in close-combat compared with other secondary.

TOW have an air-mid, GL have a ricochete, Korsair have two mode...HF...have a lock-ON. it's fuzzy bunny Normal!
each weapon have his own feature. why some people don't realize this simple fact_

#114 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 11:33 PM

View Postnepacaka, on May 07 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

just added some high column on bunker. then - bunker will fixed. and then - buff HF.

111 damage and 3.25 sec reload it's not serious (actually more, + time to lock on before u shot) and useless in close-combat compared with other secondary.

TOW have an air-mid, GL have a ricochete, Korsair have two mode...HF...have a lock-ON. it's fuzzy bunny Normal!
each weapon have his own feature. why some people don't realize this simple fact_

Reload time buff would be nice but also nightmare on my part. You should remember that buffing the hell fire will mean that Bruiser will start tearing apart s*** too.

#115 MegaManX

MegaManX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 03:02 AM

I played rocketeer quite a bit. In order for them to be even remotely good they either have to be on the high ground or in the air. Both of which makes it easy pickings for a sharpshooter. Seriously sharpshooter > rocketeer. I see a team with 3 rocketeers on Eco_ Sharpshooter. All of them dead.

#116 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 10:34 AM

This thread is still going_

#117 Battlesbreak

Battlesbreak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostMegaManX, on May 08 2014 - 03:02 AM, said:

I played rocketeer quite a bit. In order for them to be even remotely good they either have to be on the high ground or in the air. Both of which makes it easy pickings for a sharpshooter. Seriously sharpshooter > rocketeer. I see a team with 3 rocketeers on Eco_ Sharpshooter. All of them dead.

I guess you haven't even seen good Rocketeer players. All good Rocketeer players stomps much more harder than any other well played mech.

#118 SectionZ

SectionZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationA-Town

Posted May 08 2014 - 11:56 PM

The best Rocketeers I have seen today used the BUDDY SYSTEM.  Nobody could stop them.  We were on the ropes over half the match (it probably did not help at least half of us were stubbornly staying A class, myself included).

Though after we used teamwork properly to kill them all of like, three times, willing to die for it so others could finish them, they split up and fell back into the habit or hanging back in turret mode trying to harass/nail people without going near the objectives themselves, or abandoning their fellow rocketeer to die if we started shooting at them.  Oh look at that we turned the score around.

If they just kept at it, we probably would have been destroyed.  But Waaaaay too many Rocketeers seem to just be in it for their KDR and homing weapons, not the objective.

Edited by SectionZ, May 08 2014 - 11:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users