HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I play HAWKEN for free. Do you_

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:57 PM

I have been playing HAWKEN since ascension.  I have about 125 hours under my belt, I reached level 30 before the devs dropped the level requirement, and have all but the raider, predator, incinerator, and the G2 lineup.  I haven't a clue on how much HC I've earned,  but I do have several mechs at max rank: assault, reaper, fred, bruiser, berzerker (with all of their weapons unlocked) - and all but SS are at level 3 or higher.

I can hold my own in a match.  I play well with a team.  My strategic placement is superb.  I just can't shoot worth a damn.

but most importantly: I want to squash this idea that [ADH] is looking for a paycheck.  If this were true, this game would cost money - probably a subscription fee of some sort, at the very least.  From what I see, the devs went in the opposite direction:
  • don't design the toolchain.  Use the most established components that cost the least, so there is no time wasted on trying to reinvent the wheelmech.
  • concentrate on atmosphere and gameplay.  the first point emphasizes this.
  • listen to the player community - It may not seem like all of our voices are being heard,  but I do see a great deal of concepts that were fleshed out  by the players first.
then, they give this - this multi-million dollar collaboration of dozens of talented individuals who spent countless hours of their time to create something worth playing - away to the public.  for free.

so, yeah, I'm a freeloader.  And I will support this game financially, once I have some money to spend on a video game(which I do now).  but I will not spend a single dime on an aspect of this game that will give me an advantage in gameplay.  That's what playing the game is for.

how do you HAWKEN like a freeloader_  please share you freeloader status.

Posted Image

"Sometimes, You just gotta die... just to get your items back." - Mogote

#2 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 11:02 PM

I buy stuff so they can make a living and continue to bring forth a quality game.

#3 driedjello

driedjello

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationOmaha

Posted May 07 2014 - 11:03 PM

That's okay, I got ya covered.  I have spent something in the neighborhood of $400.  :P
Posted Image
"...Then I presume the complex murder algorithm that masquerades as his cerebral cortex was done analyzing my panicked stumbling and he flattened me."  -Amidatelion on Xacius.

#4 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted May 07 2014 - 11:39 PM

I have explained this multiple times, in our country, we use E-Dinar as our main E-Currency, and it's used for all our E-Payments. Paying through Credit cards is possible, but it's not popular. I tried to convince my father to get a CC, and we've requested one from this company https://www.epayments.com/

It's been about 3 months since that happened, and still nothing was delivered to home. Living in this country doesn't help me a lot, I've never been able to support the game financially, but if I had a way to, I would have spent more than 75% of my money on the game.

Playing without paying isn't really a big problem, the game has never and will never -under any circumstances- be a P2W or a money grab, as some people claimed recently.

Posted Image

I played the game a lot (a lot more than what the clock has recorded, cuz it was reset after ascension) and I earned a lot of HC and XP, which allowed me to buy every mech I liked, and equip it with all I need. It's been such a great experience, and it will always be.

I once got an MC code from someone, so I bought few nice things, and after paintjobs became universal, it allowed me to equip my other mechs with the paintjob I had.

For sure I want to buy other stuff, but I have literally 0 MC now, I'm sure I can get lucky once and get another code :)

Even tho I can't do it myself, I encourage everybody to keep supporting the devs, every little amount of money helps keep the guys comfortable and focused, and that will result in nothing but great improvements and success for the game, and of course a fun time for all of us.

Posted Image

#5 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted May 07 2014 - 11:46 PM

how do you HAWKEN like a freeloader_
yes :Ъ

#6 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 01:07 AM

I don't. I pay my fair share, and then some. I've bought mechs and weapons, as well as paint jobs and extra chassis parts. If I have the cash, and it supports a fantastic game and a fantastic community, and it gives me something that I enjoy, why not_
Posted Image

#7 Mythril_Golem

Mythril_Golem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 01:19 AM

I had no intention of spending money but after I noticed I had wasted/enjoyed over 200 hours I felt that spending some money was justifiable. I'll probably get some more mc after the new patch too.

#8 Zaxik

Zaxik

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech republic

Posted May 08 2014 - 01:41 AM

Dropped few bucks into cosmetics... I'm self-employed and I work whenever I want, so this game kinda makes me earn less money that could go into the game... lol...
Got few Hawken vids here on my YT.

#9 kingalbert2

kingalbert2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Locationaboard the Litany of Fury

Posted May 08 2014 - 01:55 AM

i've spent quite some money, of which only 1 thing went into gameplay altering stuff (an early EOC repeater for my pred).
the rest all went in paint, bots, thrusters and the ability to t-bag
Posted Image

#10 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted May 08 2014 - 03:25 AM

I play for free.

Never bought a thing. (Although one time an account glitches and instead of getting 500MC after an hour I got 1000 lol)

I appreciate those who do though, and I wish I had spare money to throw at this game.
Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#11 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 03:52 AM

View Postcoldform, on May 07 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

but most importantly: I want to squash this idea that [ADH] is looking for a paycheck.  If this were true, this game would cost money - probably a subscription fee of some sort, at the very least.  From what I see, the devs went in the opposite direction:

how do you HAWKEN like a freeloader_  please share you freeloader status.

Most of my mechs have skins, alternate parts, interior trash, repair bots etc. I've reached a point where I'm mostly done spending money in the game.

Um, what's there to squash_ Of course they're looking for a paycheck, do you really think they made this game out of the kindness of their hearts_ ADH jumped on the bus to be apart of the F2P gold rush that's currently taking place in the industry right now.

I wish the game stuck to a traditional $60 retail model, F2P is probably what keeps most people from coming back.

Edited by Superkamikazee, May 08 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#12 Lord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms

Lord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostSuperkamikazee, on May 08 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

I wish the game stuck to a traditional model $60, F2P is probably what keeps people from coming back.

I agree with wishing that they had stuck to a traditional payment model. I have spent $30 on this game, which is typically what I will spend on a F2P that I enjoy. I very much want to drop another $30 into the game, but I don't feel what I would get for another $30 would be worth spending. The price point I have been trained to for games nowadays is 60$ for a full game. I feel like I would be the one being "ripped off" if I've spent $60 on this game and I couldn't even unlock all of the current goodies.

And so, Hawken has gotten my $30 dollars and will most likely not more out of me. I'm not sure if the freeloaders versus the over-spenders ($400!_) balance each other out in the long run, but I'm sure someone's getting paid to figure that out.

Edited by Lord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms, May 08 2014 - 04:08 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostLord_Nafgan_Humblebottoms, on May 08 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

I feel like I would be the one being "ripped off" if I've spent $60 on this game and I couldn't even unlock all of the current goodies.

I'm not sure if the freeloaders versus the over-spenders ($400!_) balance each other out in the long run, but I'm sure someone's getting paid to figure that out.

At $60 I still feel the game would be a great value, simply because the unlock early and HC booster options wouldn't exist, on top of that everything else would just be unlocked with progression. I can't stand HC boosters and early unlocks in the game, it takes away from the "feeling" of progression that makes a game a game.

Currently the only reason the game feels so grindy is because ADH has to make it feel that way to make HC boosters, unlock early options appear to be valuable, which is unfortunate. To a non enthusiast gamer, or a gamer not in the know, that appears to be a dirty play so they don't see the value in grinding or putting time into the game. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah $400 into a game is way beyond what I can spend on a video game. $400 buys me a lot of tires for my drift car :lol:

#14 PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Posted May 08 2014 - 04:48 AM

I've played around 300 hours and haven't spent a dime.  I probably will at some point because I feel bad.

#15 ScarletThirteen

ScarletThirteen

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 05:16 AM

Around 70 hours and no money spent.

Though if they made a cute repair drone with a maid costume I finally might plunge, disturbing as that would be.

But this is Hawken, we need more GAR and MANLYNESS.
Leader of the non-existent Scarlet Squadron.
You can't treat a mech like a human being. A MECH NEEDS LOVE!
Raider-chan! Where have you been all my life!_  <3

#16 DreamedArtist

DreamedArtist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted May 08 2014 - 05:25 AM

I did not spend a cent until hour 200, I was getting a bit board of the plain grey mechs with no skins at the time so up until now I forked out around $300 and something I think :P I had to make all 18 mechs look pretty! AND THAT fuzzy bunny IS NOT CHEEP...

[font="Helvetica Neue, , Helvetica, Arial, san-serif"]YOU'RE WELCOME[/font] ADHESIVE.

Edited by DreamedArtist, May 08 2014 - 05:26 AM.

Practice good sportsmanship, You were a noob once too

Posted Image

#17 Doc_Dragon

Doc_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted May 08 2014 - 06:09 AM

I got the Mercenary pack after about five hours of play. I enjoyed the game so much I thought it was worth it. I've played about 23 hours so far and at just under £1 per hour of utter shooty goodness, it's been a total bargain.

If I could only get the Patrick Dragon body for my Technician I'd be totally happy.

#18 LONEDEADWOLF

LONEDEADWOLF

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationHell-Fires Point Of Origin

Posted May 08 2014 - 06:14 AM

I have purchased many mechs and items, internals and camos alike with MC..Im not sure if its freeloading if you purchased but i did play for a while before i purchased something( at a cost of $150 USD) well worth i think ...even when i get hot headed and mad at them.. it is a great game...so i did freeload for a bit...lol

Edited by LONEDEADWOLF, May 08 2014 - 06:16 AM.

meet death with both eyes open.....and a fist full of hell-fires...Long live the Rocketeer ©>~}~~~

#19 MetalBin

MetalBin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 07:02 AM

Played Hawken 3 months. Spend £36 pounds. I have all but 3 mechs it's unlikely I will spend more cash. Except on a graphics card and that's kind of different.

#20 Mykinius

Mykinius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 07:17 AM

With the recent addition of global paint and the recent MC sale, I bought ~$30 worth of MC. Used it on some black paint and the G2 Raider so far, and might get a thruster and drone with this new patch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users