HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Development Update: 06/28/2014

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#161 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostLRod, on June 30 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

... Thanks for the update Hughes and keep up the good work.

That's the point, IMHO. Well said, buddie.

P.s. Yes.. We're not unilaterally loving this game in here --> We all (devs+fans) do.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#162 Rajitha

Rajitha

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka / 6.9167° N, 79.8333° E

Posted July 01 2014 - 01:40 AM

"I want to make sure that something is clear.

HAWKEN represents years of dedication from some talented people and if you think anyone has stopped caring about what happens with the game, well... that's just crazy talk! "

It's a wonderful game and I'm grateful for being able to enjoy Hawken as is :) and thanks to the above, now I can be certain that it's staying ^_^

For those who aren't happy - 'Games are meant for people to have fun with'. If you need new development/content to enjoy a game, you're no longer 'playing'...

Core i5-3470 | Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB | Gigabyte B75M-D3H | Seasonic 520W
Siege Tutorial | Hawken In Asia (gameplay videos) | South Asia/Southeast Asia Community
HAWKEN ASIA STEAM COMMUNITY!

#163 1uster

1uster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 05:22 AM

I like the honesty and openness of the dev update.

There is only one thing what I don't understand:
There are some issues regarding balance or game mechanics which are discussed often enough here in forums and are pretty clear. For example:
Radar stuff
Inc + Tech combo
Match quitter
(Map / Wall issues)

What I wished are some updates to the game which change at least the influence of these issues. For example:
Inc secondary reduced 5 dmg.
Radar item last not so long.
(Abandoning costs 10 HC.)

These changes don't need a lot of writing code. Just number changing. Just a little - no drastic things. No hard work also for the devs.
I am aware that the radar stuff needs some more thinking in the long run and a complete overhaul but for now the item is too op and did make a lot of moments in battle kind of "boring". The Inc is without Tech not so problematic but still is op.
Also what was going by the board in the last months is the shooting delay thing after boost which I am aware is not so easy to change bc of the animation. We all getting used to it but still in the end it impedes the gameplay. With the change the devs said that they will have a look into it and the mechanic maybe will be refined. Why no text at least about considerations about that topic_ So we know the mystical new things coming in the future aren't a kind of Ascension 2.0. :-)

Why not_ Why not_

Edited by 1uster, July 01 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#164 GOB

GOB

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 05:50 AM

Lately I have zero time to play video games, but every now and then I get a moment ( like waking up an hour before my alarm clock and not being able to get back to sleep) and I choose to spend that time playing Hawken. I've been enjoying this game since the Alpha and I appreciate all the hard work and dedication. Thank you guys and keep up the good work!

#165 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted July 01 2014 - 09:13 AM

View Post1uster, on July 01 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

These changes don't need a lot of writing code.

<snip>

Why not_ Why not_

The devs won't just change gameplay elements and release those changes right away. Changes like that are being tested internally first. Also: not all players agree with your opinion. Maybe the devs don't agree with your opinoin either and that's why they won't implement your suggestions.

#166 Sorroritas

Sorroritas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Dimmamar

Posted July 01 2014 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the update.
Keep on rolling!
I am the Hammer, I am the point of His spear, I am the mail about His fist.
I am the bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous.
I am the end.

#167 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostReEvolve, on July 01 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

Maybe the devs don't agree with your opinoin either and that's why they won't implement your suggestions.

Apparently.

https://community.pl...nd-incinerator/

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#168 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted July 01 2014 - 02:07 PM

View Post1uster, on July 01 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

I like the honesty and openness of the dev update.

There is only one thing what I don't understand:
There are some issues regarding balance or game mechanics which are discussed often enough here in forums and are pretty clear. For example:
Radar stuff
Inc + Tech combo
Match quitter
(Map / Wall issues)

What I wished are some updates to the game which change at least the influence of these issues. For example:
Inc secondary reduced 5 dmg.
Radar item last not so long.
(Abandoning costs 10 HC.)

These changes don't need a lot of writing code. Just number changing. Just a little - no drastic things. No hard work also for the devs.
I am aware that the radar stuff needs some more thinking in the long run and a complete overhaul but for now the item is too op and did make a lot of moments in battle kind of "boring". The Inc is without Tech not so problematic but still is op.
Also what was going by the board in the last months is the shooting delay thing after boost which I am aware is not so easy to change bc of the animation. We all getting used to it but still in the end it impedes the gameplay. With the change the devs said that they will have a look into it and the mechanic maybe will be refined. Why no text at least about considerations about that topic_ So we know the mystical new things coming in the future aren't a kind of Ascension 2.0. :-)

Why not_ Why not_

I'm sure they have such balance patches in mind, but this update is about the underlying issues they're fixing that EVERYTHING is related to. It would not make sense to make a balance patch if it means putting off fixing the bad coding system used to implement such changes. That's what they're trying to fix right now.

Posted Image

#169 EPA_EnjeliaH_FOX

EPA_EnjeliaH_FOX

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEU

Posted July 02 2014 - 11:18 AM

Probably many devs are still in holiday. With so much work to do. There is No time to do all and read some request.

#170 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 12:07 PM

I play Hawken for the gameplay, but the problem is that the gameplay has changed so much, meanwhile the content (maps) hasn't evolved along side gameplay at all. To make matters worse the devs released a map that should have never been released with the current meta (bunker).

The team has to go back and change the maps, the sight lines, the geometry, objective locations etc. What are the chances of that happening_ Probably slim to none.

Hawken is too ambitious, ADH is too small. The devs hearts are in the right place, they mean well, but I feel Hawken will never become more than what it already is, an amazing proof of concept.

Edited by Superkamikazee, July 02 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#171 6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted July 02 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostOdra, on June 28 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

View PostSuperkamikazee, on June 28 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

I guess this update is better than no update.

Came back because I heard that something was happening today, since I can't say anything nice I won't say anything other than agreeing with your post.
Posted Image

#172 Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 05:15 PM

Updated enough_ Please.

#173 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostSuperkamikazee, on July 02 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

...an amazing proof of concept.
that may well be the most accurate and concise description of Hawken that I've seen to date

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#174 Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Location̵̨ͤ̈́͆̀ͯ̌ͮ͛̋̏͊ͣ̃ͥ̿͢͏̷̩͉̹̪̬̫͍͇̜̼͖͈ ̪͚͙̬̘̼̥̱̣̤ͪ̎́͑̀͟V̶̢̨̛̙̳͙̘̲͚̫̜̯̮̱̯̯̂ͫ͊̆͌͒̾̓̽͑̾ͯͣ̀̚ ͌́́̅̍͛̈́ͩ̏̏ͤ̆̅̋̽ͮ̌̕҉̻̬̳͍͓̺̱̩̜́͢Ȩ̴̘͓̻̫̭̳͈͚̩̭̰͖̝̯̼̥͇̖ͬ̒̇̐̆́͘ ̶̴̡̔̒͒͆̈́͏̠̯̥͍̳͈̘̦̖̖͚͙̬̺̕G̛͖͇̺͔̹͌̿̌̓̉͒ͬ̇̿ͭ͒͂̍̒ͫ̈́̔ͫ͢ ͯ́͛̊͌͊ͮ̓͜͏̥͚̞̺͓̗͙̪̜̰͖͖͈̬̘Ȃ̷̢̭͓̮͈̠̑ͥͫ̍̑̌̈́̔̋͛̑

Posted July 03 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostHarlotry, on June 30 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

[...]

This vendetta you carry against me is cute. It's almost as if it's fueled by jealousy. Maybe the fact that you've played five times longer than me, obviously bleed Hawken, and yet here we are at the same MMR. Maybe it's the way I used to fuzzy bunny on you back when I started and I was still relatively unknown.

Whatever it is, your neckbeard fueled hatred of me doesn't make my point any less true. The Steam numbers state the game is dying. You haven't provided anything to show otherwise. I know it must be disheartening to know you've put over 500 hours in this game, have just gotten decent and now it's on it's deathbed, but it'll get better. I promise.

According to the official forum rules, you have somehow managed to break the following, Harlotry:
  • 1A.1
  • 1C.2
  • 1D.2
  • 1F
  • 2A.1
The simple fact is, you can't make claims with such a close-minded perspective. Even though you've only played for 5-6 months, you could still get the gist of the way HAWKEN works if you do research on these forums properly. It also helps when you step back, and try to look at things in a different way.

Ranting at the devs to try to get things to change, is just about as pointless as it can get. In fact, it is counter-productive to what you're trying to accomplish. Like many others have mentioned, fixing the backbone of the game is the first step to progress and success. If you haven't realized yet, more people are staying on the new platform for USA East, because the performance of the servers has increased. What does this mean_ Well, in return, more players staying equals an overall greater game experience for everyone involved. If this is the case, then it can be said that it will effectively patch the holes that the devs needed to iron out—by completely overhauling the backend / backbone.

Also, I laughed when I saw steamcharts in the URL; it is one of the most inaccurate ways to measure HAWKEN at its unique current stage. Your thinking is right, just that your sources are misinformed, and you consequently suffer from it. Again, instead of making bold claims based on only one source that you have no idea about, try and do some actual research.

You have to remember, that this game is F2P, has a relatively small dev team, and a publisher that has only published one game. These facts change the way everything is handled, for better or for worse.

Edited by Draigun, July 03 2014 - 01:26 AM.

Posted Image

"The flesh is dying, and we're the next big thing.
The world we know is every bit of real — and a hell of a lot more pure — than this decaying mudball you're trying to save.
Ascension lies in new ideas, not dusted-off old ones."
  - Philosophy of the Virtual Adepts

#175 zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 04:22 AM

Are we going to see fireworks on the 4th in the maps_  It would be cool if there were some explosive barrels and when you blow them up that fireworks shot up into the sky.

Hopefully not all the devs are working on the migration.

#176 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 04:31 AM

I have to say, after reading this update, I dont feel inclined to play hawken anymore. I was playing most nights for a bit, thinking an update is coming, just around the corner.... new map.... something fun..... but turns out I was wrong. im still here on the forums, keeping an eye on things... but I dont feel the urge to play anymore, which is a bit sad. I hope the next update has concrete promises of something exciting.

#177 pelanas

pelanas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 05:21 AM

The active comunity needs to be always eating fresh meat. No matter whether chicken or beef.

Events like "hunting Yeti" must happen every month. Bring the people archivements monthly and we were playing and having fun with "new games" instead of always waiting for new content. I think is possible make a lot without adding content. The playstyle becomes borring after lost of hours playing (having all the mechs and played all the modes).

I come to mind ideas like marksmanship competitions, timed stages or the game of hide and seek for monthly events as news to those who play a lot. Developers can work in peace while we eat fresh meat.

I think just adding content is not the way. I am convinced that many new public be captured with simple game modes which add variety to the game to veterans. It is my humble opinion.

Edited by pelanas, July 03 2014 - 05:34 AM.

Posted Image

#178 UncleBlitz

UncleBlitz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Location...ǝp¡s ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ uo

Posted July 03 2014 - 12:08 PM

View Postpelanas, on July 03 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

...Events like "hunting Yeti" must happen every month...

i refuse to hunt yetis without my XMas hat !

#179 pelanas

pelanas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 01:14 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#180 eyolas

eyolas

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 04:26 PM

Dear devs,

You have my sympathy. In my humble experience, technical debt is like a morgage with ever increasing interest rates. Sometimes you just reach a point you need to tackle that - unless you want to get your codebase reach EOL real quick.

I hope migration will go smoothly and you can work on these things again soon that spark your creativity / from which you derive your energy.

Me and my berserker salute you.
/Eyolas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users