HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Development Update: 06/28/2014

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#141 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:09 AM

The total number of players is completely uninteresting!

What counts are the everyday player, because this number is actually true to the games and they are also crucial for the matchmaking to work correctly, so we always get full server and thus can play all modes.

The Reality for example on on UK Server is that.

QS UK SG -> No Server or 1-2 Rating 0-1
QS UK MA -> No Server or 1-2 Rating 0-1
QS UK TDM -> mostly 3-4 Rating 0-1 sometimes 2 -> i realy hate this mode

And if i play Siege somehow, it is badly unbalanced in 80% of all my games.

So, what happens to all these people on my friendlist, tired of extremely unbalanced games_ Yeah, they are inviting players from friendlist all the times. So sometimes i don't use the Matchmaking, no, iam waiting for an invite from someone. So we get maybe 6-8 veteran pilots, so we can play some serious hawken, but then we got some beginner too and if the matchmaing isnt working right, we got 4 Veterans + 2 Beginner againts 2 Veteran + 4 Beginner, stomping time yeah.

For Example

At first we got badly stomped, it startetd 5 VS 6 and if i can remember correctly, i said something liek "oh my god, we can only win, if some bad ass speed/damage hacking Coop Bot Monster joing us" and then somewhere in the middle, Raum entered our Battle and Eddi switched to tech. Our focus at first was to heal only Raum and a little bit the other player and in the last 5min. i healed Raum+the rest and eddi the rest as good as he can.

Posted Image

But the Match after that was even better... Now Raum was on the other side, but we got Admiral Benson & Antikila. Somehow we hurt them a little bit with extremely fast Ship Starts and Dr.Gonzo was not playing for more than 5 min.

Posted Image

These are not the best pictures to show some badly unbalanced games, i forgot most of the time to take some screenshots like games where i killed over 30 mechs, got over 1000 points and the second in our team over 250 and the other side barely 400 and we lost badly because of my high mmr. But i cant fight the whoule enemy almost alone.

Maybe you can play mostly of the time good on US East/West, i dont know, it seems you got 3-5x times more players then us, or even more, but on UK its realy hard to have good matches. If we have too, we would do the matchmaking ourselfs....

But, even we got again no update, i will play hawken until we get some realy good updates further, so the steamcharts isnt dropping by 1 for me and some of our clan member and friends.

But if the dev's don't do anything in the next 1-2 month, it would be raly realy bad.

Kind Regards,
Galaxy Radio

Edited by GalaxyRadio, June 30 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#142 MechaMakishima

MechaMakishima

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 02:24 AM

View Postnepacaka, on June 30 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

but, i don't care about unbalanced it or not. win i or loss. i just wanna play in 6vs6 15min match without ragequitters.

For me it matters. I don't like being in games where I'm being stomped or doing the stomping. Either way It's no fun for anybody playing. I don't care If I lose, if the match was a good close game, that's when Hawken is at it's best. Being in rubbish games 5-10 times in a row, just makes me want to log off and play something else.
Posted Image

#143 GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 03:04 AM

View PostMechaMakishima, on June 30 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

View Postnepacaka, on June 30 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

but, i don't care about unbalanced it or not. win i or loss. i just wanna play in 6vs6 15min match without ragequitters.

For me it matters. I don't like being in games where I'm being stomped or doing the stomping. Either way It's no fun for anybody playing. I don't care If I lose, if the match was a good close game, that's when Hawken is at it's best. Being in rubbish games 5-10 times in a row, just makes me want to log off and play something else.

Hey Dude!

Mecha is a good example too! Yesterday i got to a game, where i joined the team with already 3 players againts Tool&Mecha, 2 player. So the first thing i did was pressing, no HAMMERING the F8 Button to the ground, so we got at least even numbers. I dont know, why the heck that matchmaking did something like that...

Somehow we could barly win that match, but 1 of the enemy players ragequit because i came in and switched to the enemy, now my teammeber mecha&tool, but as he said, i dont want to stomp, even if i have to loose this game.

The only way i don't have any problems with stomping ist, if so many players are leaving on the enemy side, because i worked hard to win that battle and dont like to get autoswitched. But the new problem is, we don't have enough player, so the enemy side get fresh people in very fast.

So the winner team is stomping for the rest of the matchtime and some of them maybe even watching tv or listen to music until its finished, i don't now..

Kind Regards,
Galaxy Radio

#144 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted June 30 2014 - 04:10 AM

View PostKejiGoto, on June 29 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostHarlotry, on June 29 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

View PostOmegaNull, on June 29 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

Hawken hasn't lost 30 percent of its player base in a month. Either way, it is amazing that none of you really even understand how much work is involved with anything the devs are doing. Could have all of this been resolved earlier_ Yes. However, there are times when something needs to be fleshed out and you think "oh, lets fix that later". By then, things have gotten so bad you don't have a choice. Yes, it sucks. But the fact things are being fixed is a good thing. I would prefer now than never.

Also, taking care of technology debt is something that is not easy and takes time. Let them take care of their services to better provide us with a better game and content! Patience will pay off. So lets continue to play and enjoy this game.

The numbers disagree with that statement. The community numbers are now the same as they were pre-steam launch.  They've been hemorrhaging players.  The information from Steam proves it. Keep denying it but it's a probably a good chunk of the reason they reworked the economy; cash wasn't flowing in as expected.

Didn't you start playing Hawken when it moved to Steam_ According to your profile creation date that's when you did and could have sworn you stated earlier that was when you started playing.

Call me crazy but I have a hard time taking the word of someone who speaks about something they weren't around for.

Also the Steam charts only show the highest number of players during the day and not the total players. According to someone who has actually been tracking these stats (Ashfire) and can see individuals who play the game instead of just the highest total has shown that Hawken has been doing a decent job at maintaining numbers. While total players have been down this isn't any kind of surprise for a F2P title like Hawken, this is especially true during a time when there isn't much new content coming because the team is focused on getting other things done such as server migration.

Hawken's highest points of activity have always revolved around patches and it's no wonder numbers are down currently due to the lack of patches over the last few weeks. As someone who has actually been around since the first Close Alpha this is pretty much normal for Hawken. Numbers lag, a patch comes out, and numbers jump right back up.

He is someone who hasn't been around that long. I have only seen him in high level play in the past month or two. He may only been playing for about 4-5 months now. I think when steam hit he came. Either way, half the time the guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#145 Harlotry

Harlotry

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostOmegaNull, on June 30 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Hawken hasn't lost 30 percent of its player base in a month. Either way, it is amazing that none of you really even understand how much work is involved with anything the devs are doing. Could have all of this been resolved earlier_ Yes. However, there are times when something needs to be fleshed out and you think "oh, lets fix that later". By then, things have gotten so bad you don't have a choice. Yes, it sucks. But the fact things are being fixed is a good thing. I would prefer now than never.

Also, taking care of technology debt is something that is not easy and takes time. Let them take care of their services to better provide us with a better game and content! Patience will pay off. So lets continue to play and enjoy this game.

The numbers disagree with that statement. The community numbers are now the same as they were pre-steam launch.  They've been hemorrhaging players.  The information from Steam proves it. Keep denying it but it's a probably a good chunk of the reason they reworked the economy; cash wasn't flowing in as expected.

Didn't you start playing Hawken when it moved to Steam_ According to your profile creation date that's when you did and could have sworn you stated earlier that was when you started playing.

Call me crazy but I have a hard time taking the word of someone who speaks about something they weren't around for.

Also the Steam charts only show the highest number of players during the day and not the total players. According to someone who has actually been tracking these stats (Ashfire) and can see individuals who play the game instead of just the highest total has shown that Hawken has been doing a decent job at maintaining numbers. While total players have been down this isn't any kind of surprise for a F2P title like Hawken, this is especially true during a time when there isn't much new content coming because the team is focused on getting other things done such as server migration.

Hawken's highest points of activity have always revolved around patches and it's no wonder numbers are down currently due to the lack of patches over the last few weeks. As someone who has actually been around since the first Close Alpha this is pretty much normal for Hawken. Numbers lag, a patch comes out, and numbers jump right back up.

He is someone who hasn't been around that long. I have only seen him in high level play in the past month or two. He may only been playing for about 4-5 months now. I think when steam hit he came. Either way, half the time the guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

This vendetta you carry against me is cute. It's almost as if it's fueled by jealousy. Maybe the fact that you've played five times longer than me, obviously bleed Hawken, and yet here we are at the same MMR. Maybe it's the way I used to fuzzy bunny on you back when I started and I was still relatively unknown.

Whatever it is, your neckbeard fueled hatred of me doesn't make my point any less true. The Steam numbers state the game is dying. You haven't provided anything to show otherwise. I know it must be disheartening to know you've put over 500 hours in this game, have just gotten decent and now it's on it's deathbed, but it'll get better. I promise.

#146 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:14 AM

Dude, how you are turning this into a personal attack about numbers is said. You never fuzzy bunny on my either. When I am caught with an unknown, it throws me off and I have to learn that person's way of playing. How you think I hate you is dumb. Hate is a strong world. I think you are a pompous ass who apparently think they are a know-it-all who has  not been part of Hawken for that long. That is the part that annoys me. You yourself are a decent player but experience and trickery will always trump youth and enthusiasm. Toward the end of the DM you were barely holding on when we fought. So, if you like, we can have a rematch and you can find out if that "disheartening 500 hours of play" is not something that is a number.

Also, I have been part of Hawken since Feb. 2013 (just after open beta) and been here ever since. However, I was originally in the Closed Alpha. So the amount of "time" I have been around Hawken is much longer. That is why when I say the game is not dying, it is not. Every time there is a patch, player count goes up, then they trail off. Happens with every F2P on the planet. If you think this game is dying, why do you still stick around and make yourself to be a fool_

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

#147 Harlotry

Harlotry

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:35 AM

So wait, I didn't fuzzy bunny on you; you just didn't know how to go about playing against me_  That's funny.  Yes, I don't touch the burst damage mechs that every top player has mastered, but really... that's the excuse you're going with_  I used to run you and your bud Nullwing out of servers all the time.  You guys would talk trash then try to team up, and then finally split to go find some easier competition I assume.

And this whole mentality of players who have been around since beta isn't really keeping new players around.  I don't give a fuzzy bunny when you started. That doesn't make you any more knowledgeable or skilled than me. Get over yourself.

Once again, the numbers state that Hawken is losing 30% of its player base a month.  Steam doesn't make these numbers up and it's been 3 months in a row, which makes it a trend.

Now we can keep thanking the devs for a monthly update about how they're people and ate pizza or we can have proper expectations.  The lack of communication and a road map are piss poor customer service. And before you say that F2P games tend to lose players, look at games like LOL which tell you "hey we can't keep releasing characters biweekly, we're dropping to monthly" and that game is bigger than ever. Their devs actually communicate regularly. You know what they want to have out and when.

#148 Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:35 AM

If you think this game is dying, why do you still stick around and make yourself to be a fool_
dat logic

Edited by Ker4u, June 30 2014 - 05:37 AM.

- lok'tar ogar -

#149 Artist

Artist

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 05:39 AM

Actualy the Steam average online players numbers ( wich have very little to do with player retention BTW ) havent moved for a month ...

http://steamcharts.com/app/271290#1m

Ker4u:

That graph needs scale and sources, as-is it shows nothing.
Nevermind.

Edited by Artist, June 30 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#150 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostSS396, on June 29 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

Profile creation dates on the forums mean squat.  Its simply the date when you first logged into the forums not the date you signed up.  You could of created a profile in the alpha and never logged into the forums until yesterday, and it would show you yesterdays date as the creation date.  

There is a way to look up the real profile creation date on the account but there isn't any public tools available to do that.

Either way, don't assume anything by that date posted on the forums.

No it doesn't but if you go back and read this you will see he hasn't been playing long at all yet is pretending to know all things Hawken.

If playing in February is his idea of knowing the numbers before the Steam release then we can immediately toss out that information because the community was divided at this time as some had the ability to play on Steam and others did not.

View PostHarlotry, on June 30 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

View PostOmegaNull, on June 30 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

This vendetta you carry against me is cute. It's almost as if it's fueled by jealousy. Maybe the fact that you've played five times longer than me, obviously bleed Hawken, and yet here we are at the same MMR. Maybe it's the way I used to fuzzy bunny on you back when I started and I was still relatively unknown.

Whatever it is, your neckbeard fueled hatred of me doesn't make my point any less true. The Steam numbers state the game is dying. You haven't provided anything to show otherwise. I know it must be disheartening to know you've put over 500 hours in this game, have just gotten decent and now it's on it's deathbed, but it'll get better. I promise.

And thus you've reduced yourself to insults because you haven't a leg to stand on. You've been called on some of your nonsense, chose to ignore it, and then launched a personal attack on someone (an attack which has literally nothing to do with what is being discussed here and is based off someone confirming that you haven't been around that long) instead of addressing the fact that you haven't been around that long and don't exactly know what you're talking about.

The truth of the matter is you haven't been around that long yet you're making bold claims about the game when you weren't playing it. You say Hawken has been bleeding 30% of its player base a month yet it has been holding fairly steady around 1,200-1,300 all month long. There have been points where it is has gone higher or dipped lower but that's how it goes with F2P titles when there aren't any major updates or anything. I'm going over what I've already said though and in all likelihood wasting my breath because it's clear you're here to hurl insults now and not much else.

So how about being constructive, realizing Omega simply stated you haven't been playing that long which you yourself confirmed earlier in this thread, and move the hell on from this nonsense.

This constant presence of negativity on the forums isn't really going to change anything. As someone who has been around since the first Closed Alpha (there I go restating things) this is typical for Hawken when there's been a decent lapse of time between major content releases. We get it that you have formed the awful opinion that the team hasn't been doing anything when reality states otherwise but hey everyone is entitled to their own thought process no matter how ridiculous it is. Just don't be shocked when you get called for making claims you don't know anything about.

Comparing Hawken to League of Legends is laughable too. Here you've got a game with a major competitive scene and a game that is still in Open Beta without a major competitive scene. Take a look at most F2P titles which don't have a major following and competitive scene, their player base spikes revolve around content releases and when there's no content coming out they have an average they drop to. Right now Hawken is riding on its 1,200 average and that will spike back up when the next content patch comes along.

Now if you're done beating on the same drum that you have been for the last few days which has proven literally nothing beyond you can use Steam Charts how about we move onto more constructive topics_

Posted Image

#151 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:54 AM

View PostHarlotry, on June 30 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

So wait, I didn't fuzzy bunny on you; you just didn't know how to go about playing against me_  That's funny.  Yes, I don't touch the burst damage mechs that every top player has mastered, but really... that's the excuse you're going with_  I used to run you and your bud Nullwing out of servers all the time.  You guys would talk trash then try to team up, and then finally split to go find some easier competition I assume.

I don't ever recall being chased out of a match with you let alone ever facing you before. The first I have ever seen was the night before. Generally, when I see most new players, I have a few tactics that I try and they usually work. However, with you, they didn't so I needed to come up with something else. It is how I play. I die a couple of times and eventually come up with a reactions to counter another pilot. If you sucker punch someone, they didn't expect that punch. However, if said person knows it is coming, they can avoid it. You caught me off guard because I was not expecting you to be as good as you were.

As far as teaming up, I don't really ever recall teaming in a Death Match. Yes, we would play with each other, but I always hunted him down. If he was fighting someone else_ HA! Fair gain. So, if you think being a vulture is teaming, then you got a lot more to learn. I have never teamed up in a DM before. Why_ Because when I play, I play to win. That means everyone is meat. Also, just because me and a bud of mine leave a server doesn't mean anything. If some friends are on and we are together in TS, then we will hop (TDM, MA, DM, etc). The fact you delude yourself into thinking you scared me and null from a server then you are sadly mistaken. Most of the time if I leave it is because I am either burnt out from concentrating so much and I need a break or I am bored.

If I recall correctly, the other night you left the match after you started some fuzzy bunny and I recoiled back at you and you started to get "teamed" in a FFA (which none of us were doing). Amazing how the tables have turned_

So if you want to continue, please do.

And after this I am done because Keji summed up my thought process nicely.

Edited by OmegaNull, June 30 2014 - 06:57 AM.

Posted Image

#152 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted June 30 2014 - 07:20 AM

this topic (as usual) has evolved into a grand debate about anything...

facts are very simple. Hawken will remain unpopular, and we can not change that. never. because it hawken.

#153 zorin1

zorin1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 07:27 AM

What other free to play game is as fun as Hawken_  I put in a lot of hours into this game.  At this point, I think that I have played Hawken the longest of any other game.  Like I said in a previous post, starting to get bored now because of the lack of new mechs and new maps.  Please no more G2 Mechs.  I was really hoping that we would hear some news about new content but instead we heard about server migration.  I do have to say that I was in a few games yesterday where my ping was 16-20 so I am happy about that.  Server migration is not very interesting even though it is necessary.  How about changing Bazzar to night time, that might make things a little bit more fun for awhile.

Zorin

#154 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted June 30 2014 - 07:33 AM

What other free to play game is as fun as Hawken_
don't know. after hawken i can't play in other mmo. they so hard for me, so grind, so pointless...hawken is easy. just press "plaу", and fight (of course, if the server is not empty :D)

Edited by nepacaka, June 30 2014 - 07:34 AM.

#155 Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:07 AM

I play for the gameplay. Not the content drops

#156 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:38 AM

I play because Hawken is so much fun and unique.

Posted Image

#157 Odinous

Odinous

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAthens,Greece

Posted June 30 2014 - 09:22 AM

I don't get it,why some people are so dumb,this game its their job,of course they are working hard on it and of course they will continue,i am happy with the content they added and what they are fixing,if you think its still nothing,well I said it and I am sorry but you don't think logically.Use your brains,please!

#158 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 10:20 AM

You build something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

You make try to make everyone happy and you will still manage to piss someone off.

The devs work hard as hell and the fact they are working on a lot of backend things is great. If it was easy, then the rest of us would be making this game.

Lets lay off a bit people. Logical,  rational thinking will always beat emotion, impulsive behavior.

Posted Image

#159 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted June 30 2014 - 11:14 AM

I am really glad that the Devs are fixing the servers, and that this will hopefully fix the lag issues that have plagued the game since the beginning.

The game Bullet Run is a perfect example of how bad servers can kill a game. The game was nicely balanced, had enough unique aspects to be interesting, had good maps, and the F2P parts were not too bad. But once there were more than about 4 people in a game, the lag started to get really bad. There was massive hit detection delay, and as more people joined things got worse and worse. I am not sure if this is what actually killed the game, but it is the main reason that I stopped playing it.

It does not matter how well balanced the weapons are, how many mechs you can play as, how many maps there are, or how many game modes there are if the game is unplayable due to lag.

And at least the Hawken Devs are smart enough not to pull what PGI did with MWO. PGI updated to the newest version of their engine right before going into open beta, and the game was made unplayable by the update. So they had to postpone the open beta release until they fixed the new problems.

I would much rather have Adhesive focus purely on making sure that everything goes right, and then spending time to confirm that it is working before adding any more content into the mix.
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#160 LRod

LRod

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted June 30 2014 - 11:50 AM

Personally, I'm glad they're focusing on those items right now, because as others have mentioned; I play Hawken for the gameplay and not for the content drops.  Cleaning up the backend will make for such a better experience, that I'll take that over a new mech or map any day of the week!  Thanks for the update Hughes and keep up the good work.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users