HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Development Update: 06/28/2014

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#101 UncleBlitz

UncleBlitz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Location...ǝp¡s ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ uo

Posted June 29 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostHarlotry, on June 29 2014 - 10:10 AM, said:

...  The fact is it will provide the same experience as Hawken, with probably a far greater level of polish and content.  But hey, the devs can keep taking their sweet time and watch the player base bleed and kill it before UT even launches.

...i seriously doubt of that

...again hawken is a beta game and even if it s a tremendous long beta there s no reason for a game to die before it s born....many peeps are looking like bitter guys who have spend money on the game by choice and who seem to think it gave them rights on the devs decisions....very weird idea in fact...

they are so many directions and so many people to please that it s really challenging for a small team....see...they re forced to eat pizzas! ;)

#102 ThirdEyE

ThirdEyE

Moderator 007

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted June 29 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostTheVulong, on June 29 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

Would you prefer that they forgo what they are working on in favor of balance and content_
No, i would prefer things happening a bit faster.

I think we all would, including ADH.  Unfortunately that's just not going to happen for the reasons that Hughes mentioned (and maybe others).

I agree that many of the topics you mentioned do need attention, but I'm content with waiting until the migration and backend work is completed so that the game has more potential in the future.
Posted Image

Offering coaching on all mechs, maps, and gametypes, PM if interested.

Violent Resolution - http://vr-gaming.org/

Hawken IRC - #hawkenscrim

#103 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostThirdEyE, on June 29 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

I agree that many of the topics you mentioned do need attention, but I'm content with waiting until the migration and backend work is completed so that the game has more potential in the future.

I'm interested in what the artists are working on as i'm sure they are not involved with server migration. I wouldn't mind some concept art of things in production, might make the forums less boring.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#104 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted June 29 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostSylhiri, on June 29 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

View PostThirdEyE, on June 29 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

I'm interested in what the artists are working on as i'm sure they are not involved with server migration. I wouldn't mind some concept art of things in production, might make the forums less boring.
Wait, aren`t they all gone_
I`ll fix it later.

#105 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 29 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostHarlotry, on June 29 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

You guys can stay on the sinking ship and thank the captain for running it into the reef.  Or you can tell them to get their fuzzy bunny together and start releasing quality content with your wallets.

Posted Image

Or we can stay, and you can go. :D

Posted Image

#106 Onebullit

Onebullit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted June 29 2014 - 12:20 PM

Maybe we are in a phase, where the devs or the producer just
can't talk to us about the game's progression, who knows_

><(((((°> - - - - - - - - - - -  ><((°> ><((°> ><((°>

HAЩKEИ ---> hawken

Member of: Critical Assist

#107 Harlotry

Harlotry

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostAde_the_Rare, on June 29 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

You guys can stay on the sinking ship and thank the captain for running it into the reef.  Or you can tell them to get their fuzzy bunny together and start releasing quality content with your wallets.

Posted Image

"We" being the ~1000 active players that's shrinking daily_  Okay!

#108 Pastorius

Pastorius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationUK: (In my castle talking to the Queen on skype)

Posted June 29 2014 - 12:44 PM

Please, grow up!
Posted Image

#109 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted June 29 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostHarlotry, on June 29 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

View PostAde_the_Rare, on June 29 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Where do you make up these numbers from_ Because that's not accurate.

The quality and potential of the game's infrastructure and mechanics, which is what they're working on right now, is more important than getting some new maps and mechs. There's plenty of time for those later. You can't put a fresh coat of paint on a failing system that's bound to collapse and call it a good idea.

Edited by nokari, June 29 2014 - 12:47 PM.

Posted Image

#110 Harlotry

Harlotry

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 01:00 PM

http://steamcharts.com/app/271290

Take away from those numbers what you like.  The fact is, the game is bleeding players.  It's now at or below it was pre-Steam release.  Keep praising the developers folks.  They obviously aren't doing the game any favors.

Edited by Harlotry, June 29 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#111 Ade_the_Rare

Ade_the_Rare

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted June 29 2014 - 01:20 PM

View PostPastorius, on June 29 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Please, grow up!

I apologise, to you and Harlotry. Let me clarify why. I'm very tired, I work a lot, and Hawken is a game I play to unwind. I've seen the vast majority of people on here are positive and constructive to both the devs' work and the community as a whole; I've seen one or two whining, attention-seekers post elaborate goodbye threads, backed up with inaccurate data. I've also seen people like nokari present logical, well thought out arguments in the face of this.

Truth is, when someone is just out to flame and troll and plug the latest gaming fixation they claim is "better", attempting to derail a frikkin dev update into a whiny goodbye thread, it's wasted effort to try and be logical and well-thought through.

I'm tired. I'm tired of people with the apparent inability to *read*, or with an apparent lack of basic empathy with other people.

Posted Image

#112 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted June 29 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostHarlotry, on June 29 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

I don't intend to join the discussion but that's the daily average, not the total number of players.

#113 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted June 29 2014 - 01:23 PM

Many Thanks Hughes, all the best going forward.

#114 coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted June 29 2014 - 01:43 PM

thanks, Hughes!

$0.02:  Yelling at the cook doesn't make the biscuits bake any faster.

zen master says: we shall see.

let's have hopes instead of doubts.

Posted Image

"Sometimes, You just gotta die... just to get your items back." - Mogote

#115 EliteShooter

EliteShooter

Mr Splash Man

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • LocationTunisia

Posted June 29 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostFakeName, on June 29 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

View PostEliteShooter, on June 29 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostFakeName, on June 28 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

View Postplons, on June 28 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

hmmm

mmmmh

I expected some thought about the update TBH. Seems like all of the fuzzy bunny you were repeating isn't viable anymore.

This has nothing to do with the update, nor with anything else. I was just reverting his comment and sharing the same feelings haha :D

:P

Posted Image

#116 Harlotry

Harlotry

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostReEvolve, on June 29 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

I don't intend to join the discussion but that's the daily average, not the total number of players.

Doesn't change the point.

#117 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted June 29 2014 - 02:08 PM

Harlotry, on June 29 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Take away from those numbers what you like.  The fact is, the game is bleeding players.  It's now at or below it was pre-Steam release.  Keep praising the developers folks.  They obviously aren't doing the game any favors.
has long been obvious that in this game played only hardcore fans. because game actually so boring after steam-patch, when devs added more hp, and make game unplayable for ordinary players.

attempt to popularize the game has only led to the loss of hardcore fans, and in no way helped to expand the number of players.
I think there are 2 variants for development:
1) one-hit-kill mechs, more dynamics, more explosions, rework weapon to easy-to-use. turn it into casual CoD and you gain more popuation of casual players. but actually this people would play 1-2 month and leave from game. (and maybe return after short pause)
2) turn hawken more into mech-sim, and concentrate on the mech fans. we have over9000 computer games and only 1-2 of them are mech-sim (i mean mmo games). Hawken could find its niche with no competitors or analogues in this category.

*notes: mech-sim != slow speed, and totally realism, MWO have 10% of realism, but many players think: "MWO is so realistic!".
Why_
because, "fake realism" or "feel of realism" more important for player, than realism in terms of physics

devs chose somthing beetwen two variants. everything is simple. I just do not understand, why with the release of steam-patch they did not continue to stick to their line in the direction of "CoD shooter with mechs"_ It was a mistake on their part.
they invented the bicycle. however this bicycle has square wheels. that's why it does not ride.

You can't put a fresh coat of paint on a failing system that's bound to collapse and call it a good idea.
sure u can.
this game was broken since ascension, and never come back. so, why not. early devs says that they have a several teams (groups). first - makes new mechs. second - technical issues, etc. so that the broken server and new mechs have nothing in common.

so that they can create a new mechs and maps independently of the fixing game servers, lags or bugs.

of course if they do not lie. Otherwise, it just stops the development of the game in terms of content/stuff.

new content just keeps the interest of the players, because Hawken don't have nothing more what would be able to keep the player near the screen.

#118 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted June 29 2014 - 02:25 PM

Seeing as how it 1) shows numbers pre-March release, which clearly shows numbers much much lower than now, 2) Steam can't take into account pre-Steam population at all, and 3) those numbers only show number of logins at any given moment and are not an accurate indicator of active, recurring users, your facts don't really stack up well.

And not doing the game favors_ In what reality is migrating to better servers to provide everyone with a better experience and working with an extra group of devs to fix and rebuild a stronger, more reliable game not doing us a favor_ Do you really think that throwing us a couple maps and mechs is the only magic pill to save Hawken_ Seriously_

Nobody is brown nosing. I have my gripes too, but at least some of us are being more clear-headed and perceptive here about what's really important...

Posted Image

#119 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted June 29 2014 - 02:37 PM

View Postnepacaka, on June 29 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

You can't put a fresh coat of paint on a failing system that's bound to collapse and call it a good idea.
sure u can.
this game was broken since ascension, and never come back. so, why not. early devs says that they have a several teams (groups). first - makes new mechs. second - technical issues, etc. so that the broken server and new mechs have nothing in common.

so that they can create a new mechs and maps independently of the fixing game servers, lags or bugs.

of course if they do not lie. Otherwise, it just stops the development of the game in terms of content/stuff.

new content just keeps the interest of the players, because Hawken don't have nothing more what would be able to keep the player near the screen.

Hughes never said they weren't making new maps or mechs. He said they're just not at a point to divulge anything about new content. For all you know, part of the technical problems they need to resolve before they're ready to release new content is related to what they're fixing right now. You just don't know.

New content won't do any good if the system is perpetually broken. For all we know, the next patch could have 2 new maps and 2 new mechs. But wouldn't it be better to have 2 new maps, 2 new mechs, AND working voice chat, consistent low pings, improved anti-hacking, and any other kind of FUNCTIONAL aspect of the game that wasn't working before_

Edited by nokari, June 29 2014 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

#120 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted June 29 2014 - 02:43 PM

Adding content will not fix the game's problems, especially at this point. It only adds to them.

Edited by Silverfire, June 29 2014 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users