• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Off topic: The orb meta is one of the main reasons of deathballing. That is a fact.

The TPG league is where the best NA players, and me (a bad player, from Africa. Wow I really don't belong there lol), meet up to knock themselves out.

Today our go-getter team played some matches vs omni. They obviously won all games: 900-0 // 650-0 // 400-0.

While I honestly had good fun, the effect of the orb meta stood out to me, Namely dave who as always plays at a very high level, was simply doing this: Deploying an orb, sitting on it, and tanking dmg from 2 or 3 players without any problem, and delivering very accurate shots. I'm not exactly sure if all other members of omni were using the meta, but they mostly are, and it was a major pain trying to kill them.

The pace is fast, so deaths occur a lot, and therefore there was always enough orbs around, and omni players know how to use this to their advantage.

All in all, the thing with the meta is that it amplifies the ability of those very skilled players, and it makes beating them much much harder for less skilled teams.

With this meta removed, you'll see even more teamwork from the part of those skilled players who can no longer rely on their mechs to tolerate so much damage and still survive like nothing happened.

I do understand that a big chunk of them will disagree, but I can see games becoming much more fun if the meta was banned from the league.

I had a short talk with nept about the matter, and he told me that he has started a discussion with the devs about it, and also stated a very valid point, which is that enforcing such a rule in the current build will require verification an all that annoying time consuming stuff, but I emphasized on how much I think the community is matured, especially the TPG players, who will most definitely not cheat on such a rule if it's added.

There is no doubt that skilled players will never lose their edge with the removal of this meta from the league, and that it will only make things more fair to some players, and more challenging to others, and that is definitely worth adding such a rule.

Make it happen, you won't regret it!

• OmegaNull, DerMax, Nept and 12 others like this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

While I honestly had good fun, the effect of the orb meta stood out to me, Namely dave who as always plays at a very high level, was simply doing this: Deploying an orb, sitting on it, and tanking dmg from 2 or 3 players without any problem, and delivering very accurate shots. 

This is something he does so often that it's actually named after him now. I'm not sure what else you'd expect against everyone's favorite #1 orblord NA.

• _incitatus and Badtings like this

d1eZeG3.png

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

This is something he does so often that it's actually named after him now. I'm not sure what else you'd expect against everyone's favorite #1 orblord NA.

I do know, I've been seeing it for a long time, but seeing the effect against a decently coordinated team offense definitely was a bit surprising.

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

All in all, the thing with the meta is that it amplifies the ability of those very skilled players, and it makes beating them much much harder for less skilled teams.

This is the part where I liked your post.

• Elite_is_salty, LaurenEmily, Nov8tr and 1 other like this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

I wouldn't mind in the least, anything to piss dave off.  :teehee:

• phed, Elite_is_salty, Drrt4 and 1 other like this

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

While I honestly had good fun, the effect of the orb meta stood out to me, Namely dave who as always plays at a very high level, was simply doing this: Deploying an orb, sitting on it, and tanking dmg from 2 or 3 players without any problem, and delivering very accurate shots. I'm not exactly sure if all other members of omni were using the meta, but they mostly are, and it was a major pain trying to kill them.

#FightTheGoodFight

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

I have no issues with its removal or nerfing (nor does Dave, if you can believe it), but there'll definitely be some logistical issues to overcome.

*Edit*

Also, I'm fairly certain that every Omni member wants the Orb Lord build nerfed significantly.  As far as we're concerned, it just dumbs down the game.

Edited by Nept, 19 April 2015 - 10:07 PM.

• Superkamikazee, CraftyDus and Badtings like this

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
You know. I'm seeing this even at my mmr range. 1968 at time of post. So it's impacting the game as a whole. I can pretty nearly insta heal someone with a green beam double orb tanking 4 guys on the AA. This might be something in my range, but I can see it's impact as transcendent. I haven't played comp, just noting it's use all around.
  • Elite_is_salty likes this

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Rei

Rei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I think the general consensus is that it is unbalanced. Mostly the amount/sec they get healed is high. I wouldn't want to see it nerfed to complete oblivion since that would also just forcefully direct play elsewhere. I don't think anyone would mind it getting nerfed.

• Elite_is_salty and Jelooboi like this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Because I think the game needs as little healing as possible, I would like to see the orb item completely removed. The internals related to it can be repurposed for energy units.

• dorobo, Guns_N_Rozer, Odinous and 4 others like this

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

I didn't mention dave because I think he'll hate having it nerfed/removed, but just because he's really adapted better than anyone at taking advantage of it. I'm not surprised that omni players for example have no problem with nerfing it or whatever, but I understand that if something beneficial is there, smart people will likely take advantage.

Because I think the game needs as little healing as possible, I would like to see the orb item completely removed. The internals related to it can be repurposed for energy units.

Removing the orb item will be very heavy, I think that making the healing speed faster and the healing amount equal or near to the detonator's damage for example will make things MUCH better.

As off for orbs down off of deaths, I think those should be replaced with something new, some sort of energy that will for example recharge your ability or something.

I think all of us agree that healing at this point is very easily attainable, and that should not continue :)

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

This happens too often. You damage a bunch of them to lower half of hp.. As you turn corner to follow them and finish you see this party going on. They all sit on top of orbs there's also technician with pants down and so on..  and you are not invited  :sweat:

Robot_e9fb44_448278.gif

• DerMax, Guns_N_Rozer, Odinous and 3 others like this

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

I didn't mention dave because I think he'll hate having it nerfed/removed, but just because he's really adapted better than anyone at taking advantage of it. I'm not surprised that omni players for example have no problem with nerfing it or whatever, but I understand that if something beneficial is there, smart people will likely take advantage.

Removing the orb item will be very heavy, I think that making the healing speed faster and the healing amount equal or near to the detonator's damage for example will make things MUCH better.

As off for orbs down off of deaths, I think those should be replaced with something new, some sort of energy that will for example recharge your ability or something.

I think all of us agree that healing at this point is very easily attainable, and that should not continue :)

Also, as someone has suggested in another thread, make it impossible to suck on multiple orbs simultaneously.

• Elite_is_salty and GalaxyRadio like this

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

But Xacius spends most of his time sucking on multiple balls.  I mean orbs.

• Elite_is_salty, eth0, 1uster and 5 others like this

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

But Xacius spends most of his time sucking on multiple balls.  I mean orbs.

u fkn wot m8

• Elite_is_salty, Miscellaneous and Drrt4 like this

BariumBlue

BariumBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

What do orbs add to Hawken? I've always imagined them to originally be vehicles to show off Hawkens fancy particle system.

I don't know, i've never found orbs to be fun or interesting, just kinda there.

• eth0, Jerv, Bergwein and 1 other like this

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

But Xacius spends most of his time sucking on multiple balls. I mean orbs.

I love everything about you. Why is it always Xacius though?

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

For accuracy.

• comic_sans, ticklemyiguana and Badtings like this

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

For accuracy.

That's... Hawt?

KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Make the orbs volatile so that they explode -- 50% grenade damage, say -- if they take any damage. 

Healing risky again?  Check.

Orblording not a thing anymore?  Check.

Do orbs still do what they're supposed to do?  Check.

Finished your meal?  Check please.

• HorseHeadProphet and Grizzled like this

defekt_inv.jpg

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

What do orbs add to Hawken? I've always imagined them to originally be vehicles to show off Hawkens fancy particle system.

I don't know, i've never found orbs to be fun or interesting, just kinda there.

Originally they were useful more for getting you back into combat, because repair times were so very slow.

But come open beta, it was obvious how powerful they were. I mean, I remember during Hawken's first tourny that my team outfitted all with orbs. We didn't have the internals back then to make them as powerful as they are now, but the fast healing and tanking potential of multiple orbs while in combat was still extremely useful.

Now that we have even lower amounts of armor and internals to buff orbs, they've really gotten out of hand.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Make the orbs volatile so that they explode -- 50% grenade damage, say -- if they take any damage. 

Healing risky again?  Check.

Orblording not a thing anymore?  Check.

Do orbs still do what they're supposed to do?  Check.

Finished your meal?  Check please.

While I like the idea, here's what I think.

Every item has a drawback. Det, HE, EMP, ESM, all of those can effect the player who deployed them in the first place, that's their drawback. And the obs also has it's drawback already, as it can be used by your enemy. So adding another drawback to it would not be as fair as simply making its healing power equal to the dmg cause by the offensive items like HE and DET.

Also, players could still orblord. They won't do it with the enemy shooting at em, but an A would still pretty much fully heal up in 3 secs in cover, and get back repaired in a span of 7 secs.

defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

While I like the idea, here's what I think.

Every item has a drawback. Det, HE, EMP, ESM, all of those can effect the player who deployed them in the first place, that's their drawback. And the obs also has it's drawback already, as it can be used by your enemy. So adding another drawback to it would not be as fair as simply making its healing power equal to the dmg cause by the offensive items like HE and DET.

Also, players could still orblord. They won't do it with the enemy shooting at em, but an A would still pretty much fully heal up in 3 secs in cover, and get back repaired in a span of 7 secs.

Hmm, no; volatile orbs would put an end to Orblording: one AoE and the orb goes off like a small bomb.  No more silly slash-dash duels around a couple of orbs.

The amount of healing it takes to bring an A-class back into the fight is a separate issue.

• DieselCat and kasei like this

defekt_inv.jpg

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

In all honesty, I have hate orb lording but because it has become such an issue it is something that I began doing. :( I really hate the meta. 

• Guns_N_Rozer, HorseHeadProphet, DieselCat and 2 others like this

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Broadly speaking I think the answer is pretty clear: the orbs need to be nerfed.

In this case I would be struggling to say that this is an issue "in competitive play" because this is an issue across the board in Hawken. Balancing it around competitive play is irrelevant because the problem is larger than skilled teams abusing orbs.

Skilled players are going to be able to use items an internals more effectively than unskilled players, so saying that high-tier players get more out of them is largely a given. Using orbs against high-tier players is often an issue because they are a) able to land more shots on you and b) more situationally aware and so know when to take your orb from you. I've seen lower tier players rocking the free assault and sucking on an orb, but they have no idea how to react when I just bullrush them and stand on the orb. It's a simplified example, but its that situational misunderstanding that I'm talking about.

The issue with Omni is that they are a unique construction within Hawken: a team of multi-game FPS players that have impecable FPS skills. Outside of Omni there's only one other player that I know of that meets that criteria and that's MSV (and oh look he's on TANG). Dave doesn't beat people with orblord or some ephemeral "skill." He beats them by knowing where to move and landing 8-9 out of every ten shots. Seriously. I sat down and counted in kill-cam the last time I ran against him. I defy you to get that kind of accuracy on the move, while leading TOWs.

If it's not orbs, it's going to be dets, shields, EMPs, you name it. Better players are going to use them more betterer. In this case, the orblord issue is universal and we don't need the comp scene to tell us that.

And for the record, I disagree with the off-topic position. Deathballing is going to stick around regardless.

FateLovely

FateLovely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I thought these cries ended ;.; 

Always failed to see why people complained to such an extent about this. 

I think it's completely fine. 

Like I read above Dave doesn't rekt face because of eggs, it's because of his general skill level. The last time I fought dave I actually dropped an egg and still went boom no slower than I would have without it. 

~Air Rivals-Hawken-Anime-Music~

~Ingame names- FullmetalBtch- KallenKozuki-Fate lovely~

~Youtube Channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/FateLovely ~

https://www.youtube....Pr1nZD4S-X8wlRt - Hawken vids!

~Air Rivals page- http://board.en.airr...6-✡-ѕappнιre-✡/ ~

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

I've said this over and over, but I really think that damage should stop orb healing for a second or so in the same way it does to a mech that is repairing. This would keep orb builds viable for rapid re-engagement but make it impossible to tank an ungodly amount of damage by standing on them. This would also be an indirect buff to burst over sustain, which I know a lot of folks on the forum have been crying for.

• Odinous, _incitatus, shosca and 3 others like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

But it feels so good to suck on multiple ORBS..  :ninja:

david-bowie.gif

Edited by dorobo, 20 April 2015 - 06:35 AM.

• Jerv and hotdoginspector like this

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts
There needs to be other ways to bring A classes into competitive relevance instead of relying on items to help them along, and that really goes for everyone and every class. I think I would've won an engagement a few times against Omni if orbs weren't so strong (and my FPS wasn't tanking like a boss).
  • _incitatus and comic_sans like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

I thought these cries ended ;.; 

Always failed to see why people complained to such an extent about this. 

I think it's completely fine. 

Like I read above Dave doesn't rekt face because of eggs, it's because of his general skill level. The last time I fought dave I actually dropped an egg and still went boom no slower than I would have without it. 

Well, you are viewing this from a different scope. We're talking about the impact of this in comp play.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

"they don't deserve for rekt"- Pasha

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

eth0

eth0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

You can keep your health kits and extractors. When I get a private server it's no-orbs no-techs all day errrrrrrday mwahahahahaa!

• M4st0d0n likes this

Pubstomping is a whole different strategic discussion, however, and usually just becomes an exploration of the ethics of dumpstering randos.

UYoy63i.png

Why mech game make when you no mech game have you don't want to make? 

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

The issue with Omni is that they are a unique construction within Hawken: a team of multi-game FPS players that have impecable FPS skills and devilishly handsome good looks.

I concur.

• Silverfire, devotion and LoC_TR like this

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Amidatelion, on 20 Apr 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:snapback.png

The issue with Omni is that they are a unique construction within Hawken: a team of multi-game FPS players that have self esteem issues.

FTFY

• Nept and Elite_is_salty like this

Fstroke

Fstroke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
It's like the one issue the community isn't polarized on haha

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Personally, I do not want to see the orbs removed.  I'd rather see the extractor and repair kits not stack like they do.  Make them incompatible.  

• LoC_TR and Badtings like this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Personally, I do not want to see the orbs removed.  I'd rather see the extractor and repair kits not stack like they do.  Make them incompatible.  

Or rather, make the repair kit work as described. It could give more health over a longer time rather than giving more health over the same time, thus it would not increase the gathering rate.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

FTFY

Rude.

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

How about you can only draw from one orb at one time. AND you can only draw from a orb so many times in a match. AND you can't just park your mech on a orb and just start blasting people. Hmmm........sounds good to me.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

WE ARE SILLY PEOPLE

WHO LIKE TO MESS WITH OTHER PEOPLES POSTS