• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

OK, make the scanner a sweep. Good idea. This is pretty much agreed upon by what "appears" to be "most" people. And I can definitely get behind the idea of a scrambler cancels out a scanner. BAM!

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

I'd prefer to keep the radius and scanner effect as it is but with a lifespan of ~30s

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Paradox23

Paradox23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Here's a suggestion that you can take with a grain of salt if you wish, what if the scanner was set up in a way that its scan radius slowly decreases before the item dies out or something of the like?  Almost as if it's gradually losing power until the signal's out? 

Edited by Paradox23, 24 April 2015 - 05:15 PM.

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Make it ping player locations as the dish scans around 360�

/agree
  • Superkamikazee likes this

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Make the scanner a point defense item and reduce the range of it significantly while also requiring you to be within a certain distance to see what it spots. That way you really have to think strategically about it and you won't just have a item babysit your flanks for you while you vainly go about your other business.
  • CraftyDus likes this

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

an item to babysit your flanks for you.

I like how you put that.

• Flifang likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

FRX23

FRX23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Back in the days, we got passive countermeasures...

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

OK, make the scanner a sweep. Good idea. This is pretty much agreed upon by what "appears" to be "most" people. And I can definitely get behind the idea of a scrambler cancels out a scanner. BAM!

It does not cancel the scanner but scramblers confuse your radar intel pretty much with all those fake dots, isn't it?

I'd prefer to keep the radius and scanner effect as it is but with a lifespan of ~30s

Does its umbrella cover a big map right now? I'm asking due that I don't know if it does so or not.

And on the second chunk of your premise... Not a terrible idea on having scanners (and subsequently scramblers too) suffering of a certain degree of malfunction after a limited amount of time... Maybe  better functionality of these items for when you purchase higher MK versions might be interesting too as a plus in that direction.

Although what I'd like to see in these would be one limited general range of action, plus sub-range of distances considering or covering different set of possible actions in relation to what mech gets in its range (Infils, Preds...)

Anyway, E-Shields (etc) collapse after a limited period of time post-deployment... so limited power sources does not look so terrible to me when we talk about scanners and scramblers.

Other suggestion you guys posted sound good to me too, even when some may make the things a bit more complicate to the guy/s coding those if applies enough sometime... :yes:

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Changing lifespan is a cheap fix that changes the radar to a tool that gives you a glimpse of what happens (much like any "scanner" stuff in RTS).

I'm just saying that this solution is to be studied in the cost/gain trade-off

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Sweeps in a limited width area. Lower the range. It is way too far right now. And yes a scrambler should cancel it out completely. Let it slowly die let most all our other toys do. I mean hey guys, it should not be the be all for end all babysitting mofo. KK?

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

the problem would be that scramblers would have 2 functions and scanners only one.

Meaning that scramblers causing intel confusion plus canceling scanners would be too much --> OP.

Probably no one would use scanners anymore if that would be the case, I'm afraid.

On the other hand limited radar umbrellas and even that fair functionality expiration factor could be positively considered. (What a shite of power sources in the future I'd've to add so...lol). Seriously, you could even explore the possibility of having more powerful versions of scanners as new items then... not a terrible idea; IMHO.

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
Well, while on the topic of using items to counter items, there's always the hologram. The hologram in a scanner radius could confuse it and cause it to sight the hologram instead. I mean, I don't think this is a great idea but considering how little in "theory," the hologram achieves, (don't diss the holo you scum I've gotten every single one of you with it) it might give it some functionality aside from just working once or for 4 man dance parties. Another thing I thought of was make the mechs able to trace the radar ping allowing mechs sighted by it to see whoever is inside the radius as well. Don't know if that's feasable in a realistic sense if the scanner works by detecting heat, but it might if it's sonar based.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

the problem would be that scramblers would have 2 functions and scanners only one.

Meaning that scramblers causing intel confusion plus canceling scanners would be too much --> OP.

Probably no one would use scanners anymore if that would be the case, I'm afraid.

On the other hand limited radar umbrellas and even that fair functionality expiration factor could be positively considered. (What a shite of power sources in the future I'd've to add so...lol). Seriously, you could even explore the possibility of having more powerful versions of scanners as new items then... not a terrible idea; IMHO.

To be fair, in my initial post where I suggested this, they would cancel eachother out while keeping the scanner relatively strong with a decent sweep or ping speed.
  • Nov8tr likes this

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

To be fair, in my initial post where I suggested this, they would cancel eachother out while keeping the scanner relatively strong with a decent sweep or ping speed.

No problem,

one related "issue" is that the fake radar dots generated by scramblers use to be pretty easy to identify, so sophisticating a bit more the fake radar dots would be good idea too, IMHO.

I think there're pretty good ideas in here already, enough ones to make scannres better, more balanced and to improve the overall gameplay and balancing a bit more as well. :thumbsup:

Paradox23

Paradox23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I'm usually not one for reiterating posts I've already made, but I have to wonder how effective it would be to have scanners gradually start to lose their range as they start to reach their time limit.  Would that help balancing matters even in the slightest? 

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
OK I never played with scanner before but I can imagine how op it would be...

I like the sweep idea... Just to add on, I think the sweep should be pretty slow. Also may be a Lil notification if you get sweeper upon?
Maybe a HUD display of the sweep line? (God I wish I could post the images I have in my mind XD they look so cool yet I can't describe them...)

Maybe a holographic display of the line of the sweep that you see inside of your screen in your mech?

... God this is hard...

You know in iron man? Tony starks HUD can highlight stuff and like see energy or waves naked to the human eye like telephone signals and all that and illustrate it on his HUD so he could see the connection line... (Wow I suck at illustrating through words...)
Well maybe we could temporarily see the sweep through our HUD?

Get me?

In the end what we should see is a line of color scanning the environment (tge line just goes through all obstacles.... ) like in those movies?

The sweep representation could be like you know the wall of energy at the start of every match? But with the selected color for enemy...

Umm maybe we could like not see the line from far away but it could like "appear" when the sweep line comes to a sertain proximity of you?

As for the scanner can only see its line of sight... Its kinda useless... A turret could do the same job no?

These are just ideas I came up with XD feel free to brainstorm on it or disagree with it... But just say why too XD lol

I'm going to try to find a representation of what I suggested if I can if anyone doesn't understand it.... XD

Groll

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
Oh another suggestion I can up with to Nerf the scanner is:

Why not make people appear on ONLY the owner of the scanner 's radar and not the whole team?

1 this nerfs the radar significantly

2 this COULD encourage team communication and the use of the q button for people no?

3 even so that one person could give out info on enemy position instead of people receiving data directly on their radars, it won't be merely as effective.

All this could also when you think about it make people less dependent over items and more in themselves no? (At least how I see it....) And yeah

Groll

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scanner, Item, Nerf, Cat Video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users