• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Hey-Ho, whoever wants to rage / discuss about the Scanner can do exactly that in this thread.

First of all, yes, I know the Scanner has already been mentioned in the one or the other corner of this forum, however, it hasn't got the attention it deserves (sooner or later somebody would have come up with this thread anyways, even though most of you should know about this topic). If there should already be a whole thread about Scanners, I'm sorry, I've overseen it then, just post the link to that thread in this case.

So, let's just start with the fact that the Scanner itself is broken, obviously that's the reason why it is banned from most of the tournaments.

Knowing where every single enemy in a certain range is can be considered to be like wallhacking. It can even catch cloaked Predators and Infiltrators and since they are good seeable when you know there actually is a cloaked Predator / Infiltrator, being catched by a Scanner is probably the worst thing that can happen to a Pred / Infil. Many of them use Scramblers to avoid this, but even then they can be caught because in periods of a few seconds the Scanner highlights all Mechs it catches, even the cloaked ones.

So the Scanner allows to control the situation, to control the battlefield in the range of the Scanner. It really should be fixed. I personally was using Scanners a lot, on nearly every Mech I was using three Scanners because they were and still are the best item besides the Orbs. I stopped using them a month ago and I appeal to you to not use them either until they have been nerfed.

There are different suggestions what to do with Scanners / how to nerf them, I actually just remember a few of them myself, so if you have some suggestionts you think are much better than the listed ones here, just add them below in a comment.

1) Delete them.

Meh, I have got mixed feelings when reading this one, even though I've met many players that had demanded exactly this. I think the concept of the Scanner is really good, imo the idea deserves a place in Hawken, it just has to be a non-broken item.

2) Decrease the range and lifetime.

Just decrease the range and lifetime of Scanners and on the other hand increase the range and the lifetime of Scramblers. It's a simple idea, which could help, but as I mentioned before, Scramblers really aren't the best items because for an experienced player it's pretty easy to distinguish the made-up targets on the radar from the logically separably moving, real enemies.

3) Add a sweep.

Instead of showing where every Mech in the range of the Scanner is the whole time, add a slowly rotating sweep, so only enemies being catched by the sweep are shown on the radar for a few seconds. I think it's a pretty good idea how to fix the Scanner, the best one I've heard so far.

Last, but not least, Scanners are quite good audible, so please, when you hear a Scanner, just take a few seconds to search and destroy it. When I see team members not even trying to destroy a Scanner right in front of them, I really could rage. So don't give Scanners a chance, they have to die! They have to die and burn in hell (as long as they haven't been nerfed)!

Edited by Erzunterweltler, 15 April 2015 - 06:09 AM.

• Dr_Freeze001, Guns_N_Rozer, JackVandal and 1 other like this

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I used to use scanners, but now I got rid of them, because OP.

Maybe this fix could do: 

Scanners only scan the VISIBLE area. That means if placed inside a wall, it won't be very effective. If palced on an open field, it may be very very effective but it is just as easy to spot and destroy as it is effective in this case. :]

• DerMax, Dr_Freeze001, Miscellaneous and 5 others like this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

I would keep it's range but greatly decrease the lifetime (~30s) so that it's main use is to be thrown prior an assault to check how many bad guys are hidden behind the wall.

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

opicr0n

opicr0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

3) Add a sweep.

Instead of showing where every Mech in the range of the Scanner is the whole time, add a slowly rotating sweep, so only enemies being catched by the sweep are shown on the radar for a few seconds. I think it's a pretty good idea how to fix the Scanner, the best one I've heard so far.

A sweep would be a good fix. And the speed of the sweep could be tweaked until the ultimate balance has been found.

• Elite_is_salty, Erzunterweltler, eth0 and 1 other like this

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Scanners should get a major nerf. Also, you can't see a cloaked infil using scanner.

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

A sweep would be a good fix. And the speed of the sweep could be tweaked until the ultimate balance has been found.

2?=5s

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Strange you request gentlemen. Remove scanners, Give completely invisible, let all air compressors ... And why no one will remember about the item of "Shield"? In my opinion this is what necessary to begin. A pile of armor - and in addition they can freely sketch three of them ... need to reduce the lifetime of the Shield a minimum twice as :yes:

http://www.hawken.ru- ???? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? (Website of the Russian community)

http://ru.hawken.wikia.com - ??????? ????????? ?? ???? (Russian Wikipedia HAWKEN)

http://vk.com/hawken - ???????? ??????????? ?????????? ??????? ? ?? (social network VK)

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Scanners should get a major nerf. Also, you can't see a cloaked infil using scanner.

You can't? Hmm, I was pretty sure you could, I'll test that out later. However, thanks for the advice, I'll correct it.

Dr_Freeze001

Dr_Freeze001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

During the ol' scrims with VP we agreed to not use scanners or scramblers. What I found out since then is that those games were a lot more fun. lots of flanking and sneaking potential. Never used them since.

I vote for 3, but [NOTE: went a bit off-topic]

Spoiler

Edited by Dr_Freeze001, 25 March 2015 - 01:42 AM.

• Houruck and Erzunterweltler like this

KkaQ7HY.png

hsabot4.png  jaDBqOD.png  JsRCQoO.png  4XXKL4C.png

KDR Clan Leader | UVW Host |  KOBALT Leader

contact.KOBALT@gmail.com

Chocksa

Chocksa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I say keep the range but add a sweep effect and add signal loss for each meter of wall the radar signal has to travel through. I am Ok with scanners scanning through walls but the signal strength should diminish the more walls it has to travel through.

Edited by Chocksa, 25 March 2015 - 01:42 AM.

GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

At first i loved that item, cause in many games around mmr 1500-2000 most players dont pay any attention to the radar, so i used it very often. Now in far better games with skilled pilots using brain&radar, this item is the worst you can use, because its like mentioned before, absolutly broken. It of course legal wallhack, you can pre aim tows/grenades or make a trap (Pred) or just wait behind a corner to alphastrike the enemy with item and fully loaded weapon.

But the worst part is in siege games. If the enemy have already the AA taken, a scanner (for example on origin placed under the bridge somewhere hard to find) or on a spot you can only reach by flying around the AA (i did the same at first), its annyoing, because you destroy any chance to suprise the enemy, as skilled player already now to use the radar just by hear what he can see around him (teammates) and what jump plattforms used (must be the enemy, if not teammate). So the  sound from the jumping plattforms are already on origin something like a warn signal...

Well, i don't like it to get destroyed from behind by a single blow, but thats the game, please ban the scanner completly and if not, let it just´make a "sound" of any enemy is nearby, but dont mark him on the radar, so you dont know where he is and have to search yourself.

Galaxy Radio

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

You can't? Hmm, I was pretty sure you could, I'll test that out later. However, thanks for the advice, I'll correct it.

I hope Elite means that they shouldn't see cloaked mechs. Right now they show up as occasional pings on the radar.

As for re-works, I like my idea of a scanner that does a sweep of some speed of the battlefield, returning pings only as the arm passes over targets and quickly fading. All targets can see the radar when the arm passes over them.

I also like Hyginos' idea of making turrets line-of-sight radar, basically letting them act like mini, stationary teammates to spot enemies.

• Erzunterweltler and JackVandal like this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
I use scanners with my pred. Good luck catching me off-guard.
They are ridiculous and should be removed though. Until that i will exploit this guilty-pleasure.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Bunnykillkill

Bunnykillkill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

They are ridiculous and should be removed though. Until that i will exploit this guilty-pleasure.

I mean, is not being able to see trough walls while being transparent, having a breacher and a set of mines w8ting enough? You really gotta top that off with a scanner?

"*insert freudian qoute here*"

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Bad one you ...

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Yes i know it's bad but i'm not gonna feel bad about it as long as it's just another perfectly legal way of playing the game. People with air compressors & orb setups are happily doing it too despite being frowned upon by the majority. Also i see a lot of techs with incins and they are just as bad.

• M4st0d0n likes this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I use it because I fuzzy bunnyNG CAN.

• Drrt4 likes this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I hope Elite means that they shouldn't see cloaked mechs. Right now they show up as occasional pings on the radar.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Elite just confused me :wacko:

I'll recorrect it

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Well, back then Pred was the only Mech I had not played Scanners on, because I rated that as totally useless and I still do :teehee:

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Well, back then Pred was the only Mech I had not played Scanners on, because I rated that as totally useless and I still do :teehee:

I do this mainly when there are other preds around because it allows you to see behind your back while you are tracking someone, super sneaky  :sweat:

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I do this mainly when there are other preds around because it allows you to see behind your back while you are tracking someone, super sneaky  :sweat:

You've got a point there, still, for Infil I would understand it more ^^

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
I like the sweep suggestion, but even that shouldn't pick up cloaked mechs.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Jelooboi

Jelooboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Lawful Evil: Scanners are part of the game. If you don't like it, don't play. 

#LOLOLMASTERTROLE2012

#GETREKT

#LRN2SCAN

Erzunterweltler

Erzunterweltler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

That doesn't change the fact that they have to be nerfed. I like the concept of the Scanner, but probably you didn't even read the original post.

1) Delete them.

Meh, I have got mixed feelings when reading this one, even though I've met many players that had demanded exactly this. I think the concept of the Scanner is really good, imo the idea deserves a place in Hawken, it just has to be a non-broken item.

Paradox23

Paradox23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I had just recently acquired a scanner for an assault mech; very useful tool it is, but I never did stop to consider whether it was too useful until noticing this thread.  I'd have to be mostly in favor of the sweep option, as it's not so broken that it warrants being removed entirely.  I mean if I remember right, if it animates by completing full rotations every second, one would think it already behaves that way instead of providing constant, live signal detection.  I don't know, maybe if it was more of a motion tracker as well? 

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Trash tier item.

Good players don't need it and won't use it.

I worry about you people using scanners. You obviously hate yourself.

You shouldn't. Just leave that to the rest of us. I promise we hate you plenty enough.

Jmw0SEH.gif

• dorobo likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

where is my cat video

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

Spoiler

Rchive

Rchive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I like the idea of Scanner requiring line of sight. And maybe a pulse instead of a radial sweep? Something like a radar dish spinning around just seems kinda corny to me. Lol

PepeKenobi

PepeKenobi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I think Scanners should not render non-moving mechs on radar....... Maybe only if these get close to you within some fair minimum range (moving or not). Just an idea.

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Yes i know it's bad but i'm not gonna feel bad about it as long as it's just another perfectly legal way of playing the game. People with air compressors & orb setups are happily doing it too despite being frowned upon by the majority. Also i see a lot of techs with incins and they are just as bad.

Who frowns on the AC? That sounds like someone who can't aim. I can't aim physically and it doesn't bother me at all. It occupies a grip of space anyway. I also don't understand what the issue with the scanner is apart from seeing claoked mechs. This is probably one of those items that should be limited to certain mechs. I can think of a few items that should be limited to certain mechs. It would go a long way to helping balance and the mechs wouldn't feel so same-y.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

HeraldRedfordIII

HeraldRedfordIII

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

What if it were pings that radiate from the center. Or what if radars got rid of false positives like a jammer for the jammer  or even mark holograms as false

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Some great ideas in this thread. I like FakeName's LoS idea.

Lioot

Lioot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

I disagree with everything in this thread

Scanner is love

Scanner is life

But in truth, I do use them and I do think they are over powered, hence why I use them. The sweep idea is excellent, reminds me of sonar in some WWII films with submarines, and it should also only relay the information to the player who used the scanner in the first place too

PsychedelicGrass

PsychedelicGrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

I have a scanner on all my main mechs because of how useful it is. I can see what's around a corner or find good flanking opportunities during a fight. Some people have been very vocal about their frustrations with it ingame, but whatever; it's an item in the game and I can use it if I want to, although I do agree that they're OP and should be nerfed. 

What's the big fuzzy bunnyng deal? Lots of amazing people have committed suicide, and they turned out alright.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

So that is why I keep loosing constantly! Fukers knew I was comin!!

batman+the+dark+knight+rises+gif+joker+g

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

It's all sorta interwoven, not really just the Scanners, per se.

Not to be a thread bust, but, condensed version of 2 years of personal gripes:

Fatten the armor. Extend TTK

Buff the quantitative (reconstruct/repair/replenish/refuel etc) Internals.

Permanently remove all non-weapon or non-incapacitative category Items. Especially Scanners and Orbs.

Remove either the Tech, or the capacity to self-repair. Or both.

Universally enable Friendly-Fire.

Enable Team Killing penalties, either via personnal scoring or TK-Suicide (as i posted elsewhere: kill a teammate, you die too)

New weapon Item: Genocide Bomb, 6 slots, one use. Hit an enemy with it, kill their team. Get killed while carrying it, kill YOUR entire team. No one knows if you have one, unless you tell them.

Restore total kill limit to 50, expiry to 20 minutes on high-population capacity servers. Maybe Siege, too.

Buff all of my mechs to ridiculousness.

Did I miss anything?

:D

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

trash tier item

gives players with very little to no game sense, the closest thing to game sense they'll ever experience

has no place in a contest of skill

no respected player uses them

delete item from game

1232550506_quick%20reaction.gif

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

#LOLOLMASTERTROLE2012

#GETREKT

#LRN2SCAN

perfect-loop-rap-battle.gif
  • EM1O likes this

Spoiler

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

^--<< this. lol!

most of my G2 Raiders, some infils and reaps have mk3 Scanner

heh.

• Rainbow_Sheep likes this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
I like how elitists come in here and call things “trash tier" or claim that no respectable player uses scanners. It actually just comes off as whiney. It doesn't add to the conversation. It's just needless, ego filled, complaining. It's trumped up opinion at best.

Now, there are two fixes that I can see working best either combined or by themselves.

First, add the sweep or ping effect. Allow to remain able to see through walls.

Second: buff the scrambler with an added effect. If a scarmbler is dropped within the radius of a scanner they cancel eachother out.

THe scanner would block blips and the scrambler would stop blips from sppearing on the enemy raider when the teo interact.
  • PsychedelicGrass likes this

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scanner, Item, Nerf, Cat Video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users