• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

There has been much discussion about the HUD in the past years, yet the game has remained unchanged from the player point of view because of reasons everyone knows. I still try to raise constructive discussion about possibilities and wishes. I don't want put forward any requests for stuff, speculate if and when devs could do stuff like this or whether it's a high priority. Just discussion between pilots. By HUD in this text I mean the combination of the cockpit, decorations and all the overlaid elements.

So, in the future when stuff actually happens, how would you like to have the HUD? (<- this is the topic, don't derail)

Would you like to have a fixed HUD for everyone, whether it's the old, new, or something totally new? Should you be able to change the HUD from settings, or have multiple types and styles of HUD that you can buy and assing to mechs? Should the HUD be designed for monitor, oculus (VR in general) or some kind of compromise? Should pilots have different HUD selection for monitor and VR use?

Would you like to have a customizable HUD? If so, I would like to have at least four different categories or levels of stuff.

1. The cockpit itself with all integrated(customizable) displays, etc. (You want a bigger fuel gauge? It costs just 500MC! You don't want to have integrated radar? Let's remove it!)
  2. The decorations as they are. (Pizza box on the floor? 1000HC!)
  3. Heads up display fixed to the cockpit. Cross-hairs, etc.
  4. Heads up display fixed to the helmet (in case of VR). (You want to see your health wherever you look? No problem!)

As replies, I would like to see suggestions on your future Hawken HUD/cockpit and of course comments on those as well as on my customizable idea. This discussion also has to notice the possible effects on balance. If players can have different cockpits, would some be objectively better? Could VR actually be an advantage?

• The_Silencer likes this

"The vectors... The vectors are all wrong!" -Bum

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

PS. I've never actually even touched an oculus. :sad:

Silent_

Silent_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Simple small dot as crosshair with any color rather than white or friendly color.

HUD options should be free.

• The_Silencer likes this

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Fuzzy dice and this: 

Spoiler

• claisolais, Amidatelion, Neraste and 3 others like this

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

The old cockpit-integrated armour and fuel levels was apparently destroying lower spec FPS, which was why it was ditched. The old HUD looks hideous and takes up too much space. Your memories are lying to you, nostalgia is a photoshop filter. Customizable huds are a terrible thing to charge for. It's ridiculous to try monetize what has historically been an integral part of FPSes.

Moving a portion of development of a late, dying game with a really messed up engine to an unproven, luxury system strikes me as a terrible goddamn idea. VR will never be an advantage unless the game is specifically designed for that, such as in Elite:Dangerous. Even there it's only an advantage for managing contextual menus and it shaves bare miliseconds off.

I personally think in-cockpit items are a terrible idea, but if other people want to buy them, they can go ahead. I second Lauren's point, the fact that we got a fuzzy bunnyng missile cockpit decoration before fuzzy dice is a travesty of the highest order.

Spoiler

• Drrt4 and DeeRax like this

claisolais

claisolais

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Bought a DK2 turns out only DK1 works.

Ic6j9zJ.png

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

On cockpit items: nothing written about tastes. Is your cockpit, so what? No one else knows what you put into it.. who cares? :D

On oculus rift: First of.. wow factor!

Plus the fact that piloting a mech in HAWKEN via controllers like mouse + keyboard -it's easy to handle the control keys on a kbd- do not represent any problem, imho. ( Can't talk about gamepads and others due that i don't use any of those options here at my end ). I've never played the game in VR either; I've to admit it. However, Oculus requires of a better UI -still pending AFAIK.

On integrated Cockpits/HUDs..: Imho, it's a must in every way to play HAWKEN -no matter if VR or not

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
I imagine loading the full 3d cockpit is sub-optimal, and if there isn't going to be occulus support may as well ditch the excess
  • bacon_avenger likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Pelanthoris

Pelanthoris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

The old cockpit-integrated armour and fuel levels was apparently destroying lower spec FPS, which was why it was ditched. The old HUD looks hideous and takes up too much space. Your memories are lying to you, nostalgia is a photoshop filter.

I don't think my post said anywhere "bring back old HUD!". Question was:

So, in the future when stuff actually happens, how would you like to have the HUD? (<- this is the topic, don't derail)

:rolleyes:

Customizable huds are a terrible thing to charge for. It's ridiculous to try monetize what has historically been an integral part of FPSes.

So are weapons. Also, making games is business so strictly speaking, so when a person buys the lates COD, lot's of integral parts of an fps game are being monetized. :tongue:

Moving a portion of development of a late, dying game with a really messed up engine to an unproven, luxury system strikes me as a terrible goddamn idea.

By now I'm guessing you didn't even read my post.

I don't want put forward any requests for stuff, speculate if and when devs could do stuff like this or whether it's a high priority. Just discussion between pilots.

Although I know I could have said that better.

VR will never be an advantage unless the game is specifically designed for that, such as in Elite:Dangerous. Even there it's only an advantage for managing contextual menus and it shaves bare miliseconds off.

You are probably right. Although if the resolution and other aspects of VR would get better during a few generations of equipment, I can't really see what would be the downside of using it. It would be just a kind of an display in the worst case, right?

Spoiler

I personally think in-cockpit items are a terrible idea, but if other people want to buy them, they can go ahead. I second Lauren's point, the fact that we got a fuzzy bunnyng missile cockpit decoration before fuzzy dice is a travesty of the highest order.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

How I feel about your attitude and argumentation on this forum in general

Spoiler

I was hoping for discussion on "what would be cool", "I'd love if...", etc. :unsure:

Anyway, peace out there, except on the battle field. :pirate:

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

OR must be breathtaking and.. alpha strikes.. I've to experience that in first hand! lol :D

Just thinking about the later scares the shite out of me! =)

Edited by The_Silencer, 18 March 2016 - 11:25 AM.

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

Fluttertroll

Fluttertroll

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I concur, I'd love to have more customization options for the HUD and cockpit, so we can choose to have the old HUD if our pcs can handle it.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

..snip... the game has remained unchanged from the player point of view because of reasons everyone knows.

Actually... we DON'T know the reasons.  Nobody from Reloaded has really said anything at all about why there have been no changes.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

as a reminder, below few of the MUST HAVE cosmetics that would results in HUGE $$$ for relodead

air horn emote while in turret mode

a captain josh "I'm open to it" holo emote

Baba-ji decorations

Edited by (KDR) MomOw, 11 May 2016 - 05:43 AM.

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

as a reminder, below few of the MUST HAVE cosmetics that would results in HUGE $$$ for relodead

air horn emote while in turret mode

a captain josh "I'm open to it" holo emote

Baba-ji decorations

I see what you did there. :)

But, c'mon, "HUGE $$$"?  They'd be lucky if there are enough players in this game (who are actually willing to spend money), for that to net them $300

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HUD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users