• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm not suggesting another turret mode mech. I was thinking more of a G2 vanguard. I've always seen the vanguard as a very defense heavy, deadly close combat type of mech. So, to expand on that:

I was thinking of a B-class mech with a shield as its sole primary. With the shield as its primary it'll have an immediate 30% bonus to front defense while taking 10% more damage from behind (just throwing up percentages for now). When left clicking to use the shield it will increase defense to 60% and damage from behind to 20% and it lasts for like one second and it has 3-4 second cooldown (some long duration). So, essentially a bruiser's ability made into a primary weapon/shield with shorter cooldown.

The secondary will be a sword/blade with a gun alternate mode. It'll most likely be a metal sword and not an energy sword as I don't think the world of hawken has the technology to develop energy weaponry. It will do a single swing with super destructive damage (comparable if not more to raiders corsair/mirv) but a long cooldown time between swings. The alt mode... I'm not sure if it's better to make it like a sobot rifle (but much more accurate) while sharing the sword modes cooldown, or to make it more of a assault rifle that shares a different cooldown than sword's (although switching from sword to rifle after a swing will maintain the cooldown of sword's). Damage the guns deal will be quite lower than the blade's.

The ability to turn into turret mode is removed. Instead, the ability is an incredible increase to speed or a powerful boost toward the direction the player is aiming towards. If the ability is just an increase of speed, it would have to be much faster than the raider's speed increase but also a much shorter duration. If it's the powerful boost, then it would have to be nearly instantaneous but also to a decent distance to greatly close the gap between two players. The idea is that it charges forward very quickly to deal a lot of close quarter damage. The mech will probably have a very large fuel tank which completely depletes after use of the ability, with a slow regen time.

What I want to do with this mech is that it is very good at just delaying the enemy. So, basically a supportive role. The player sees another mech, they charge forwards, and with its sword it can deal a massive first strike. Afterwards it continues to dodge and block attacks so that it delays the enemy until either they overheat or they run out of fuel to boost and dodge to deal the killing blows. It's not really meant to hold the line of mulitiple attackers like the vanguard is supposed to.

I'm not entirely sure what the mechs stats should be. I want to tailor them to the mechs strengths but its shield and large fuel tank already seems like enough of a buff to hold its own. I was thinking the walk and regular boost speed should be very high and comparable to an A-mechs speed but with the shield and the ability, it's already going to be annoying to fight so maybe it would be best if it kept its C-mech speed stats. Im terms of armor, I was thinking of making it somewhat low, not to like a berzerkers hp but close. The shield makes it durable to damage as is so adding more hp to a tank sounds kind of op? So, it'll most likely be like 450 ish.

I guess other thoughts I have for the mech is that in sword mode it may be allowed to swing during a boost. So, like the raiders allowance of using weapons during the boost while the ability is popped. Also, it is not meant to keep 2 or more mechs at bay. So, it is easily swarmable. To combat this, the ability may have a semi short cooldown to help with maneuverability or running away. But that makes it a hit and run type mech which isn't really the direction I want this mech to go towards. I just want this mech to be radically different and bring something new to cqc.

So, there's a mech idea. I've got a few other ideas but for now, I'd like to see what people think of it and also get suggestions. So, feel free to leave a reply xD

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

tl;dr:

"Can we have Reinhardt in HOWKEN?"

• Miscellaneous, Rainbow_Sheep, Onstrava and 5 others like this

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

I don't want melee.

• coldform, Miscellaneous, Drrt4 and 3 others like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Dear OP. You have no idea how much of a meme melee mechs are at this point. It's not going to happen for so many reasons. 

• crockrocket likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

The first reason:

Not a very clever move to charge with sword on enemy, which have a shotgun.
it is working only in warhammer 40.000

• DeeRax and WillyW like this

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

tl;dr:

"Can we have Reinhardt in HOWKEN?"

I did a quick google search and looked up some gameplay videos of reinhardt and I can see similarities but not quite what I'm going for. It seems like he has a wide shield to protect allies with that he can keep up so long as the shield's health is maintained. I was going for more of a strictly 1v1 mech with his shield being only to swallow hellfires/tows/etc.when used. And even when the shield is activated it had a longish cooldown and only lasts for maybe a second?

The first reason:

Not a very clever move to charge with sword on enemy, which have a shotgun.
it is working only in warhammer 40.000

Well, the charge is supposed to be very quick, like, what would take a scout to boost towards and reach an enemy mech in let's say 4-5 seconds, its ability covers makes it so that the distance is covered in 1-1.5s. And with it's shield it'll easily tank any close ranged weaponry like shotguns. I've said as just an example that activating the shield will grant 60% defense to the front of the mech. That is the vanguard's turret mode defense. In turret mode, it can withstand and overpower an assault and zerker if they were all standing in front of each other constantly shooting. Keeping in mind, this mech is a B-class and can dodge better than your average vanguard since it has the defense bonus but its speed isn't limited like in turret mode.

Dear OP. You have no idea how much of a meme melee mechs are at this point. It's not going to happen for so many reasons. 

Hm, if melee mechs are approaching meme levels I'm getting the impression that there's also quite a lot of people who have thought of this and had some interest in the idea of a melee mech. So, as long as there is some interest, it's possible. But unlikely considering the current state Hawken is in.

Overall, I can see why a melee mech would be a bad idea. It would be the similarity of bringing a knife to a gun fight. Which, is the appeal to me. Imagining the gameplay, the weapon loadout forces the player to fight in a close proximity so it'd be a constant pressure to move from cover to cover to reach the opponent if the ability is under cooldown. I also think that even if the sword deals massive damage, it has a very long cooldown. Also, the secondary being a blade, it has extremely low range, so even if you get up close, it's not a certainty you can hit your enemy. The playstyle would be very similar to a raider's corsair. It is extremely rewarding when you land a hit, but equally as devastating if you miss. Giving yourself an instant disadvantage is a fun idea for me, kinda like I sometimes challenge myself to use only secondary weapons for a match in tdm. 

Just to be clear, I don't think this would be a very good mech. Just a really fun and interesting mech to play as it brings something extremely different to hawken. 

DeeRax

DeeRax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Real thoughts:

I could see melee being implemented in hawken through stuff like chainsaws, arc welders, forklift arms, drills, piledrivers, and other various weaponized industrial equipment, but I'm still not sure how you'd make it viable in a world of TOWS and 'nades and KLAs (ohmy). If it could be done like that, I'd like to at least see it, but it's hard to imagine it working in this game very well, both mechanics-wise & aesthetics-wise. Not impossible though?

I  don't wanna see HAWKEN mechs with swords and shields and stuff tho, for sure; HOWKN =/= GUNDAM.
(If you want to use a mech with a functioning shield, play Vanguard.)

Edited by DeeRax, 07 February 2017 - 02:33 PM.

• coldform likes this

starfox-sig.gifrYFaSGG.gif

2XhpJes.png

"DeeRax's got what you've always wanted."

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Drills and piledrivers could work as well. Although, the drill arm would probably have to play a lot like how you would in Bioshock 2 as a Big Daddy. It would work better than my sword/blade idea in terms of lore and intuitive gameplay. We could say it was originally part of a mining operation but was repurposed for use in combat, much like the other mechs. It'd also makes more sense if the drill acted kind of like a lance as well when combined with the boost forward ability. With the sword, I think it would make it less intuitive since boosting forwards with a sword jab isn't as cool as a drill pierce strike.

Although the shield would have to stay, unless there is a better alternative, because I still see this as a G2 vanguard and like to think having some of that shield/turret mode function carried over to this mech. Whatever the alternative is, it's gotta keep the emphasis on melee combat but also supplement the secondary. 

.... Hmm, or maybe the drill could have an added secondary of boosting forward to charge and strike. The ability is instead a function that temporarily transforms the drill into a psuedo turret mode. In that form it'll lose the use of the drill but it'll have a crazy high defense. I was also thinking perhaps now we could switch the drill into a primary and bring the grenade launcher from the vanguard onto this mech as its secondary. 

Maybe to make it a little stronger or op, the drill let's say bypasses some defense on the mech to deal more damage. Kind of like how the tech's redox gun puts a debuff on the enemy mech so that it is more vulnerable to damage.On that thought, putting redox onto this mech might not be a good idea. With such little room to work with, the splash of the redox's shots will apply to both you and the opponents mechs. So, probably not a good option. 

The drill is just such a cool idea xD

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Bullets OP, give all mechs dual-wield squeaky hammers

midnight-squeaky-hammer.jpg

• Drrt4, DeeRax and Pulcinella like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
First off drink for melee suggestion.

Secondly, a time based "turret mode" that doesn't sacrifice mobility is an interesting idea. I actually think this could work quite well on some c classes.

Three: no on melee
  • DeeRax likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
  • G2 raider has good ability.
  • Grenadier going to non-turret ability was a good move.
  • Same for Rocketeer pls reloaded... it doesn't need a movement penalty.

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
C mech turret modes have always been kind of odd to me. Like, brawler turret mode gives you a little defense and constant hp regen. It's okay but it doesn't seem all that relevant in terms of the brawler's focus as a mech. Rocketeer's turret mode made dumbfires even dumber... Vanguard's turret mode made some sense because of the largest defense bonus out of all C mech turret mode.

They're already slow as hell so a temp turret mode with no movement speed penalty ability would be nice for them instead. I can maybe see like brawler's temp turret mode to be like "oh a semi good def buff for 2 seconds but you also gain x amount of hp when used (low hp gain). " It'd have a longish cooldown but it won't be as useless as before while keeping that hp regen and def functionality.

Rocketeer could be temporarily turn the "wings" into a missile payload from which you fire either several hellfire missiles or 2 rockets with a high damage and extremely large explosion radius.

But then I feel like this temp turret mode idea would make bruiser's ability look kind of mediocre in comparison as the psuedo turret mode is essentially the bruiser ability plus some unique feature. Which is kind of why I'm hesitant to suggest this form of turret mode xP

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I think brawler turret could be better, but should remain a moving bunker.

Brawlers can be close to OP in the hands of experienced pilots.

I wouldn't mind slightly more damage reduction as the regen isn't enough when compared to the huge mitigation of Vanguard.

Experienced pilots still won't use it, but will be better for the lower end pilots.

ArchMech

ArchMech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

there is no room for development, this game has achieved everything possible in the gaming industry and is deciding to retire from it and move on to a career in the NBA....

don't mind me, i'm just on a crusade against humanity, by the end of my lifespan earth's population will be 8 billion+ trolls

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Oh yeah, no doubt brawlers can be op xD I've never seen any good brawler pilot go into turret mode. It just shows how useless it is x.x I don't think it helps the newer/inexperienced pilots honestly. I usually see a newbie just standing there in an assault while beiing pelted at, without an effort to move out of the line of fire. And turret mode just reinforces that behavior =/

Edited by Pulcinella, 08 February 2017 - 05:18 PM.

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

In a world of pew pew and shooty shooty, whacky stabby has no place.

Though lord knows it would be proper satisfying to bash bots to bits with an exceedingly large rebar...

Edited by Sp3ctrr, 12 February 2017 - 06:10 AM.

• DeeRax and DallasCreeper like this

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I've never seen any good brawler pilot go into turret mode. It just shows how useless it is x.x 

that's where ur wrong buddy

• crockrocket, ReversusRex, DeeRax and 1 other like this

d1eZeG3.png

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

They are VERY situational.

You need to be aware of who are running EMPs, etc 

If you don't know when they are worth using, then best to avoid. I've really only just started using them again.

I might* use Vanguard turret when advancing if my flanks are covered, I only really use Brawler turret between skirmishes.

Sometimes you can find a place out of the way to benefit from the regen, especially if you also have orbs (i'm not saying to orblord, but i may have been guilty of this). They may mean you can withstand a pursuer for an extra shot that can be enough to finish them instead of them finishing you.

Rocketard turrets are just laughable. They need to change it to be an ability instead.

Edited by 6ixxer, 12 February 2017 - 05:37 PM.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
Yeah I know, but I couldn't resist posting that clip. A fight from a 2700+ vs. 2900+ MMR tournament duel with an unplanned Brawler turret mode damage race is probably the best/worst thing I've ever seen in a serious 1v1.

I do use Brawler's ability very rarely in normal matches mostly for when I need to top off like <100 armor behind cover while advancing and think there's a chance of someone rounding the corner to attack me, but that's about it. Outside of very niche situations it's a liability though.
  • DeeRax likes this

d1eZeG3.png

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
We need more brawler crab fights 8U

Although that was interesting to see just as a spectator. I wonder if that's why I never see them go into turret mode? Because they only do it behind cover to repair minimal damage.

Perhaps maybe if that's the main playstyle of brawler's then it's turret mode is removed completely and the ability is a lobotomized armor fusor in combo with incinerators ability. Like, you build up heat, and depending on how much heat is generated, you ground pound and it repairs x amount of hp. But then again that sounds almost op? I mean, it won't do any damage to other players, it'll just repair. But as long as you got heat, you get hp... Sounds a bit much?

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

brawler turret can stay.

rocketard, however.....

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

brawler turret can stay.

rocketard, however.....

Rule number 1 of Rocketeer, don't use the ability ever.

• DeeRax likes this

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users