HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New HUD in Ascension - Can we keep the old one, too_

Game Community

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 space_mouse

space_mouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationYER MOMS

Posted September 13 2013 - 01:14 PM

A customizable reticle would be ideal, but perhaps 2-5 "flavors" would work 1-2 of which would be optimized for OculusRift, 1 which would be "old school"-pre ascension...and a few options. At least the ability to choose the reticle color and contrast/darkness, as this would fix the whiteout i'm experiencing while trying to target on occasion. Lockon behavior options would be nice.  I to prefer the radar centered, a few cockpit layouts would be great as well.

SM>.<!

Edited by space_mouse, September 13 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#62 OneMoar

OneMoar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationBatavia Ny

Posted September 13 2013 - 04:59 PM

id rater see a drag and drop hud editor like Xonotic

#63 ProskRecruit

ProskRecruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 14 2013 - 12:23 AM

Personally, I have come to love the current Heads-Up Display in Hawken
i know that feel, bro =)

#64 Tavanaka

Tavanaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 16 2013 - 10:11 PM

I've spent some time with Ascension now, and unfortunately much of what I said before the update still holds true. While the general aesthetic of the cockpit does not bother me terribly, it is still rather jarring to have such a crisp, modern interior while the weapons on either side of your screen are (beautiful) haphazardly cobbled together rust launchers. I can deal with it, though. Clean isn't necessarily bad and I do really like how the item slots shunt down when in cooldown. Really nice touch.

That said...

My biggest gripe, regarding the health and fuel bars, has turned out to be even worse than I imagined. They stick out like a sore thumb, attached to nothing and hardly transparent enough to appear holographic. The health bar is bright to the point of being garish, aesthetically incongruous and, above all else, absolutely incomprehensible in combat. Displaying damage taken as a temporary yellow bar makes quick, mid-fight glances at your remaining HP nearly impossible. The new internals make my Raider hilariously overpowered and I have yet to play a game where my KDR goes below 4. That said, I cannot even count the amount of times I assumed I was doing well in a skirmish due to the giant yellow bar of "health" screaming in my face, only to suddenly remember that it is a "damage bar" when it is too late. I have no doubt I will adapt in time, but the fact that this was even implemented in a game with a close to mid-range TTK this low is baffling and is going to be a source of tremendous confusion and frustration with new players. Already several of my friends who fell in love with this game in Beta have abandoned it due to this. Additionally, no longer having the low fuel warning appear next to my crosshairs mean I frequently do not notice myself run low.

Ultimately what this HUD falls prey to is exactly what it was trying to avoid, and falls to it even worse than before. The same level of business and complexity remains, but it has been condensed into an even smaller area. The health bar should just decrease with damage- simple, legible on the fly, and easy to code. If you are going to embrace simplicity to the point of killing the aesthetic, you should go all the way.

Additionally, the loss of being able to change cockpit monitor colors is not game-breaking but it is confusing. Why remove such a subtle, enjoyable feature_ In fact, much of the changes to the UI and cockpit bring to mind an old saying- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I greatly enjoy the new gameplay changes, and will continue to play despite my frustrations, but I cannot stress enough how important it is that the UI be reworked or restored, or at least given some level of customization. This is no longer an immersion matter, but an issue of basic comprehensibility and enjoyment.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

#65 Torchcamp

Torchcamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted September 21 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think the old HUD looked much better. I think they should at least add an option so players could choose if they want the new or the old one.

#66 Shogun60

Shogun60

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted September 21 2013 - 05:53 PM

I like the new HUD if we could position the radar mini-map anywhere on the screen ourselves would be good or maybe have different layout options to chose from colors included would be easier for the dev team :) just a thought B) anyway i can still shoot you who cares hahahaha....

Edited by Shogun60, September 21 2013 - 05:54 PM.

Posted Image

Looking for an organised HAWKEN clan_ visit http://TAW.net

#67 Canstaht

Canstaht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 01:18 PM

I don't see why there couldn't be an option to change HUD based on preference, as some prefer the new HUD and I know I personally very much miss the Old HUD and want it back. Also, the new crosshair is horrible and needs to go. I'd rather have the Old crosshair than the current one hands down.

#68 Z3PP

Z3PP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think a cool compromise would be to take the new hud and make it appear more holographic, like it's being projected on the glass or something in the mech. I love the readability of it but it would be nice to make it a little more immersive.

#69 Cloudstorm

Cloudstorm

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationAlfheim

Posted October 07 2013 - 06:16 PM

I agree with all the comments about the old HUD, please can we have the old one back or at least as an option. It's vey frustrating every time you log in the picture on the left shows the old one and its so obviously a better depiction of what the games about realism in the cockpit.

#70 Anichkov3

Anichkov3

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationRussia, Lipetsk

Posted January 20 2014 - 12:31 AM

I agree with all the comments about the old HUD, please can we have the old one back or at least as an option
+1. Agree

#71 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 20 2014 - 01:18 PM

we can only pray about old-hud returning.
i pray...

#72 SkunkPunk

SkunkPunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 10:10 AM

this hud is bothering me, I can stand it but it's completely immersive breaking and having to keep an eye on the health bar is a huge drag. PLEASE CHANGE IT!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users