HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New map idea: Port (environment concept)

Art

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 FakeName

FakeName

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of my Succubus

Posted January 07 2014 - 09:03 AM

Dear Moustache-Man (nepacaka) ... How can you draw so amazing_

I mean look at this detail, this style, this ... moustache ...

PS: Awesome map!

"Things change ... thank god, otherwise we would still hunt animals to survive and forge weapons of stone."

- FakeName

Posted Image

#22 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted January 07 2014 - 09:33 AM

Dear Moustache-Man (nepacaka) ... How can you draw so amazing_

I mean look at this detail, this style, this ... moustache ...
it's just "Moustache Power" Posted Image

#23 0XEP237239

0XEP237239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 08:49 AM

I really like the idea of having a dried out port.
Especially the dunes and freight containers making an overally flat terrain a labyrinth only to be controlled by snipers on ships/towers/buildings/container stacks located away from the maps center in direction of the edge. (Inspired by the uppermost level of origin).
Center of the map might be (the biggest) ship on the map beeing partially devoured by the virus already, which has developped to a high structure, dominating the central play-ground.

A very intriguing idea because it would allow to show the difference between human architecture (rotting battleships or abandoned construction sites/shipyards) and virus outgrowth.

Edited by 0XEP237239, January 09 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#24 LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted January 09 2014 - 09:01 AM

acid rain... dont jump in the ocean "hot lava" type dealio.

Posted Image

vR-Gaming

Raider Vids>>>Twitch Youtube<<<Raider Vids 2500mmr

Fuzzy Bunny Stats

#25 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 11:59 AM

I really like the idea of having a dried out port.
Especially the dunes and freight containers making an overally flat terrain a labyrinth only to be controlled by snipers on ships/towers/buildings/container stacks located away from the maps center in direction of the edge. (Inspired by the uppermost level of origin).
Center of the map might be (the biggest) ship on the map beeing partially devoured by the virus already, which has developped to a high structure, dominating the central play-ground.
i agree with you idea too, you vision like me.

A very intriguing idea because it would allow to show the difference between human architecture (rotting battleships or abandoned construction sites/shipyards) and virus outgrowth.

this is the reason, why I always say that we need to do city maps in Hawken (ideally - 60-70% maps need be a town structure with real scale, i mean road, building, and others elements on regulary ppl life). frontline map seems like "fake", they are designed specifically for mech, it looks like a "small robo-town", and not as a "ruined city" in which fighting mechs.

#26 0XEP237239

0XEP237239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 02:15 PM

I have read about this scale size thing several times since i am on the forum and  am thinking for about two months now how the scale feeling could be increased. A city without humans in it will always look dead, lifeless. Humans will not come IG very soon i think. ((You do not need to post informing me of this.))

There`s already a lot of objects trying to make the scale....lamps and trucks and those little houses in Prosk or Bazaar.
Yet somehow they (beside these little houses) fail to create a palpable atmosphere.
Thinking about Frontline i just had an idea:

Human brain works with relations between known things, aye_ How things are "localized" towards each other.
The problem of Frontline and Facility is that there are no plausible relations between decorative structures which help the brain to adapt to the scale.

Another point are the steep inclinations of natural surfaces and hills (i will not write about this here, now)

Postscriptum: Everything is about the feeling. If i want to create i must either understand or feel.
Understanding needs many little elements to suffice. Feeling is a sufficent element in it self.

Simple solution(s), Only 2 examples;]

Facility; (Knowledge)
There is a huge Parking lot on top of the hill (yes, white marks on them) with cars (employees parking zone) and trucks (cargo yard) on it.
The Parking lot is seperated from the street with a pike (having red and white or black and yellow) stripes on it.
Beside the pike is located a small concrete house where the guard could have its lemonade from the vending machine on the backside of the house.

Left of the vending machine is a door for mens restrooms and on the right womens.
The street leading towards the parking lot (yes with wite...or yellow marks if you want) are secured by beam rails in some places.
Half a mile down the road is a small gas station. The owner has a collection of cars behind the gas station which he is scrapping for spare parts.

Since he has had to modify his livingroom and bedroom for storing valuable replacement parts he is living in a small caravan. In front of the caravan is a torn parasol, a small table and two cheap plastic chairs.

You can stop reading at this point if you prefer objective perspectives.

Frontline; (Feeling)
Originally the building which has later been modified to carry the AA was designed as a recreation center located in a beautiful park.
The architect made the building appear light and fragile. When the war came to town a military support engineer added a lot of massive concrete.
The building is now a chimera of what once has been and what never will be again. The people who enjoyed their free time here have gone.
No more children can be heard laughing on the playground in the park. The playing structures once painted in bright colors are now coated by a layer of rust. Grass has grown in the sandbox. No more lovers wander the overgrown limestone paths, maybe sitting down on one of the three dozen benches, on a lazy summer day.

The majority of the trees has died long ago and the once well trimmed hedges have become dangerous scrubs bearing many a thorn.
You kick your heavy combat boot against the remains of a decaying ice vending hand truck which is laying on the path infront of you and wonder whether you will ever eat ice again.

On a peacefull summer day.

#27 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted January 09 2014 - 02:44 PM

I want to go swimming

#28 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 03:48 PM

OXEP237239
95% agreed =D

#29 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted January 14 2014 - 07:57 PM

Bump,

How did I not see this post until now_______

Great work Nepacaka, and a great idea. I love the maps and illustration.

#30 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted January 14 2014 - 11:15 PM

View PostSandSpider, on January 14 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

How did I not see this post until now_______
Um...this post was 1000 years old =Ъ

Will be sad, if something similar never be in game =(.
Yes, idea is obvious, but not bad at all.

#31 0XEP237239

0XEP237239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 04:52 AM

Dynamic environment! (Moving cranes and automated cargo lifters)
Cargo transport systems! (Ride containers or get crushed by them)

New Game mode: "Cargo Race"
Everyone wants more transport space on that big ship.
To get cargo containers loaded for your team you will need to secure handling stations. (There is only one cargo transportation track.)
Not every container has the same ammount of value inside. (It might be up to the players to load the containers EU!_!_)
One station after the other must be battled to allow your teams containers to proceed on the cargo track.
(The whole track consist of 10 up to 20 single stations which must be held for several seconds by a team to make the container move on.)

Will you help pushing through a large number of containers by keeping control over several handling stations at the same time OR will your team gather together to get a single valuable container through the docking procedures_

#32 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted January 20 2014 - 06:33 AM

Dynamic environment! (Moving cranes and automated cargo lifters)
yeah, it's will be cool!

New Game mode: "Cargo Race"
Incidentally basis of this mode is quite good in my opinion. In fact - this is the same MA mode, but as if Missile Silos moving, and you (and your team) had to constantly moving in battle too.
I would like this mode. It would be very dynamic game mode!
I suppose.

#33 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 04 2014 - 01:06 PM

Bump, this is amazing.  I must learn to harness this moustache power...

Edited by Infyrno, August 04 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#34 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 04:46 AM

you can
Posted Image

#35 Skitzo1d

Skitzo1d

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:05 AM

Even though this is old, I like the idea of this map, the graphical detail that would be there would be awesome.  The idea of being on the rooftops ( I love prosk).  Overall I really like it.

1 downfall I see is the placement of the missle silos would not work for missle assault because a team could effectivly hold point S1 and S3 and just say forget about S2 and just focus on holding those other two points.  they would have to be spread out more for it to work for missle assault.  Although it would work for siege maps with S1 and S3 being Eu points and S2 being the AA.

Fred is sad hes not like the other robots

Posted Image

[12:43] <@ThirdEyE> skitzo1d = worst reaper NA

#36 ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:10 AM

This thread gives me a boner.
Posted Image

#37 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:39 AM

guys, stop resurrecting my topics :lol:
it was a year ago, and it never appears in the game :D

#38 6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted August 05 2014 - 06:48 PM

View Posterathic, on November 18 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

a few shipyard concept and pics that might inspire art direction :

multi level futuristic set ( like an Origin Harbor)
Posted Image

This I can definitely see fitting in with the Hawken theme.

I'd imagine huge dual level gantries bracketing each side of a battleship that was abandoned during construction, I'd leave off the roof as then it can play MA, etc and not cause grief over a central high snipe position. I'd go so far as to allow TDM, MA and CTF (instead of siege).

Each team 'base' for objective type games can be on the opposite gantries with the battleship having a couple of levels and chambers inside and also the spaceport main building joining the ends of the gantries being another battle area.
MA points can be ship fore and aft turret and then the 3rd can be the spaceport turret on main building.

Storyline is that each team is trying to control the site to complete the construction of the battleship for themselves (leads into CTF gameplay) as they don't grow on trees and every siege match destroys several of them. The spaceport has two plants ie, the team bases, that manufacture half of the power cells required to power up the port defenses and ship, etc and take control of the port.

Manufacturing in same plant would be dangerous, etc. so each plant has a stack of positive halves or negative halves respectively. You need to install 3 (an odd number anyway depending on how easy it is) of them in your plant to take control and can only install by bringing the other teams half (the flag) to your base. Only one install bay can be open at a time (safety) and only one sub-cell (security) and if the other team takes your sub-cell out of the install bay before your team brings their half then you cannot install.

When you kill the other team carrier and touch the flag it essentially makes it destruct and signal your base to load a new one so you have both halves. Perhaps the destroyed sub-cell could make a large energy orb so several people can return to battle with more health. Perhaps the sub-cells could leak energy that can heal your carrier and defenders within a short radius (preventing the carrier and defenders from dieing in 2 sec to extend the skirmishes). I can imagine the shield being the must have item for protecting your flag-carrier... Blockades to mess with the other teams route.

In addition to the top of the gantries/building and inside the ship, underneath the battleship could be a playable zone, with supports, etc to create cover, etc and jump-pads to get back to the ship, gantries or main building (the good height/levels/bounciness from Origin) There needs to be a few ways around for good TDM and CTF play.

Could be better than origin and wreckage combined...

Edited by 6ixxer, August 05 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#39 Infyrno

Infyrno

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Locationsomewhere over the rainbow

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:13 PM

View Postnepacaka, on August 05 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

guys, stop resurrecting my topics :lol:
it was a year ago, and it never appears in the game :D
I don't care nep, your stuff is too good, i must bump all your ideas now