HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

I WANT THE OLD HAWKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

Poll: OLD HAWKEN (307 member(s) have cast votes)

WANNA IT BACK_

1. YES (178 votes [57.98%])

Percentage of vote: 57.98%

2. NO -_- (look at the video before you click) (129 votes [42.02%])

Percentage of vote: 42.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on July 14 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

If you watch videos of the old Hawken you see the integration of the health and fuel bars into the cockpit.
I think a lot of players want that back. To my knowledge the Oculus rift support had lots to do with this.

The old cockpits weren't that optimized, while I do feel the new cockpit was designed with the Oculus rift in mind the old one did cause performance issues. That said the old one looked way better for hawken in terms of style, the new one looks disjointed from the visual style of the rest of the game.

The old version had it's problems, especially with A mechs vs C mechs but the new one has as many (or more) problems as the old one as the new TTK and new flight numbers requires a look in the current map designs.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#162 Onstrava

Onstrava

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationThe Abyss.

Posted July 15 2014 - 01:54 PM

What are you guys and gals talking about_ Just wait for the :D *SUPER UPDATE* :D thats coming out this August or so and then you'll have something new to talk about on the forums.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#163 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted July 16 2014 - 04:58 AM

What are you guys and gals talking about_ Just wait for the :D *SUPER UPDATE* :D thats coming out this August or so and then you'll have something new to talk about on the forums.
when you suffer all your life, it's hard to believe that you will die happy.

#164 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSkrillville, CA

Posted July 16 2014 - 09:45 AM

New hawken is here to stay so lets come up with some positive fixes. It sounds like the big problem is a slightly too short ttk and lack of player retention. What can we do to fix these things_
Posted Image

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 08 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

You're exactly right.

#165 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostOnstrava, on July 15 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

Posted Image
You know what this lack of info reminds me of. Ascension.

And even thought Ascension was a tech-based update, it still sucked in many players opinions.
I`ll fix it later.

#166 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostOnstrava, on July 15 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

View PostSkrill, on July 16 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

New hawken is here to stay so lets come up with some positive fixes. It sounds like the big problem is a slightly too short ttk and lack of player retention. What can we do to fix these things_

Last time there was a major "NEW UPDATE" we were given Ascension. This was also done in August...
Chaos ensued and from that; Hawken has never really recovered.

I don't want to see Hawken degrade further.

Things that NEED to be improved for that update:

VOIP!!
New Mechs
New Weapons

New Maps
{Fresh maps like Oceanside, night maps with toggle lights on mechs, Destructible maps as promised, etc}

New Modes
{CTF, Domination, Objective modes, Command and Control, etc}

Server latency improved
{I am west coast and get better ping in the east by 40+ points... This is unacceptable.}

What I'd like to see:

Improved access to rooftops and high ground on all maps. Blue/invisiwalls should be perimeter only. Rooftops should be explorable. Players want it. GIVE IT TO US!

I would also like to see a night map with Lasers on weapons with Toggle lights on mechs{Imagine doing Prosk or Uptown at night!} The idea with the Lasers could be color purchase as well.

Envision the following:

Trekking through a night time map in blackout conditions and all you see is silhouettes of buildings and moonlight shadows everwhere... Occasionally you see a red light track through the darkness then nothing... You're in the clear. A short time later 2 scanning beams scan the map. Then 3. Then 4... Soo close.
You round a corner... The coast is clear... You make the run and all of the sudden beams from everywhere. Tracers and explosions ensue You hit the afterburners and narrowly escape. You find a dark corner to repair. As you repair a rippling shadow moves close by a blue laser cuts the air and traces right to you. Just as you are about to spring back to life the silhouette takes form as a breacher shot cuts into your mech and an EOC shatters your mech into a burning hull under the night sky. The Predator takes a bow and cloaks walking back into the shadows.....

Give me this... Give me this now!

This is the kind of fresh innovation and content that Hawken needs.

Failure to provide these measures will result in certain death.
Please for the love of all that's Hawken. Get it right this time...

#167 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on July 16 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

Things that NEED to be improved for that update:

VOIP!!
New Mechs
New Weapons

New Maps
{Fresh maps like Oceanside, night maps with toggle lights on mechs, Destructible maps as promised, etc}

New Modes
{CTF, Domination, Objective modes, Command and Control, etc}

Server latency improved
{I am west coast and get better ping in the east by 40+ points... This is unacceptable.}

-They have said that these are being worked on. They know. Stop mentioning it
What I'd like to see:

Improved access to rooftops and high ground on all maps. Blue/invisiwalls should be perimeter only. Rooftops should be explorable. Players want it. GIVE IT TO US!

-No, you want that. Very few other people do as it leads to camping the way you used to on origin back in the day. It was a cowardly boring strategy then and it still is. This will not improve player retention. It will just serve to frustrate noobs.

I would also like to see a night map with Lasers on weapons with Toggle lights on mechs{Imagine doing Prosk or Uptown at night!} The idea with the Lasers could be color purchase as well.

-Playing in near pitch black conditions has little to no mass appeal. Think before you say things like "Failure to provide these measures will result in certain death. Please for the love of all that's Hawken. Get it right this time...".

notes added

Edited by Skrill, July 16 2014 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image

You're exactly right.

#168 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostSkrill, on July 16 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

Many things:

-They have said that these are being worked on. They know. Stop mentioning it

Overdue and not fast enough. Haven't you seen the dwindling playerbase and overuse of smurf accounts just to get in to games_ The noobies don't have a chance against skilled smurfs.

-No, you want that. Very few other people do as it leads to camping the way you used to on origin back in the day. It was a cowardly boring strategy then and it still is. This will not improve player retention. It will just serve to frustrate noobs.

I pay attention to a larger picture. A good camper is a challenge. Challenges are impossible unless you put them to task. There are many NOOBS that prefer to stay out of a fight until they learn the dynamics of battle. Hardly cowardly. They also enjoyed "Sniping" in other games.
If we want to draw in players from other games we need to offer similarities to the games they played and then prove this is better.
It might be in the works but so far it has missed the mark.

-Playing in near pitch black conditions has little to no mass appeal.

Reading the forums, I have encountered many posts requesting "night" maps. It doesn't need to be pitch black {although that could be cool}, Moonlight would be an awesome twist.

Think before you say things like "Failure to provide these measures will result in certain death. Please for the love of all that's Hawken. Get it right this time..."

That was meant as an all encompassing overview statement of the Hawken as a whole.
No one wants a repeat of HAB or the Ascension update...

#169 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on July 16 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Many things:

Overdue and not fast enough. Haven't you seen the dwindling playerbase and overuse of smurf accounts just to get in to games_ The noobies don't have a chance against skilled smurfs.

- They have 16 people working for them according to Linkedin chill. Game development is hard work. If you don't believe me here is a tutorial on the Unity engine and here is a link to download Unity free. Talk to me in a month I guarantee you will be singing a different tune.

I pay attention to a larger picture. A good camper is a challenge. Challenges are impossible unless you put them to task. There are many NOOBS that prefer to stay out of a fight until they learn the dynamics of battle. Hardly cowardly. They also enjoyed "Sniping" in other games.
If we want to draw in players from other games we need to offer similarities to the games they played and then prove this is better.
It might be in the works but so far it has missed the mark.

- Ok, they can go play other games with real sniping. Just because it exists in COD and Battlefield does not mean it has to be in every shooter. That' how shooters lost a lot of their individuality in the first place. Also, just because killing campers it is a challenge does not make it entertaining. Unclogging a drain is a thoroughly boring challenge. Getting rid of a camper feels strangely similar.

Reading the forums, I have encountered many posts requesting "night" maps. It doesn't need to be pitch black {although that could be cool}, Moonlight would be an awesome twist.

- A night themed map is different from what you described. Which was pitch black sorry for the misunderstanding.

That was meant as an all encompassing overview statement of the Hawken as a whole.
No one wants a repeat of HAB or the Ascension update...

- Ascension didn't bother everyone and its gone now with many lessons learned. Have some faith that people smarter than you are working on it.

Edited by Skrill, July 16 2014 - 02:17 PM.

Posted Image

You're exactly right.

#170 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostSkrill, on July 16 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostSpliff_Craven, on July 16 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Many things:

- They have 16 people working for them according to Linkedin chill. Game development is hard work. If you don't believe me here is a tutorial on the Unity engine and here is a link to download Unity free. Talk to me in a month I guarantee you will be singing a different tune.

It's their choice for a living not mine. With that choice comes proficiency. So it would be faster for a career man than a dabbler. I'll leave it to the person with the education. However, as a consumer I will still demand results.

- Ok, they can go play other games with real sniping. Just because killing campers it is a challenge does not make it entertaining. Unclogging a drain is a thoroughly boring challenge. Getting rid of a camper feels strangely similar.

We need player is this game. Sniping or not. Unclogging a drain can also be frustrating but is well worth the effort. You get a distinct satisfaction from overcoming it. The same applies to campers.

- A night themed map is different from what you described. Which was pitch black sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's a discussion. Misunderstandings happen. I enjoy the exchange of knowledge and fresh ideas. It only improves humanity as a whole.

- Ascension didn't bother everyone and its gone now with many lessons learned. Have some faith that people smarter than you are working on it.

I only hope the lessons have been learned. I have faith in Hawken. As for smarter_ I prefer to think that they have different skills and areas of expertise. We all have something to contribute.

Generalization:

To be productive it is better to agree to disagree, thus allowing the discussion to progress.

Edited by Spliff_Craven, July 16 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#171 Skrill

Skrill

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 02:36 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on July 16 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

- Ok, they can go play other games with real sniping. Just because killing campers it is a challenge does not make it entertaining. Unclogging a drain is a thoroughly boring challenge. Getting rid of a camper feels strangely similar.

We need player is this game. Sniping or not. Unclogging a drain can also be frustrating but is well worth the effort. You get a distinct satisfaction from overcoming it. The same applies to campers.

The general consensus around camping in FPS games is that it is an annoying strategy that likely leads to people rage quitting. Which hurts player retention. Here is that lovely thing called proof we have been talking about. Within the first paragraph camping is frowned upon as cheating. Sorry, your wrong. Camping makes FPS games boring.

"But Skrill thats only one example". Oh ok BOOM.

Edited by Skrill, July 16 2014 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

You're exactly right.

#172 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted July 16 2014 - 02:42 PM

C`mon, we need more noobs on this case. I wanna make people sad.... :(
I`ll fix it later.

#173 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 03:14 PM

People are also ragequitting because of one sided teams. There are too many matches where one team has double the score of the other. KDR of over 2-1 or greater makes people quit as well.
Teams playing effectively versus randoms doing their own thing makes for a difference.

Aragon is right we need more noobs. But we need to provide them with tools of communication {VOIP/ComRose} In order to improve the playerbase.

I get tired of seeing a 2300 MMR in a 1350 MMR allowed server. That is hardly fair.
Ping Limits should also be brought in. How can one justify a 300+ ping_
Oh yes! I hear a common response "no players in my region..."

So we need promotions and codes like we used to get. Better latency in local servers so USE is not the only place to find games. I find Europeans in there all the time as well as Australians. USW is pretty much DM and TDM only now... Central is empty too.

These are critical issues that need to be addressed, not talked about.
Players want results and will take their money elsewhere if they don't get them.
Super Monday Night Combat is a great example of that.

I was part of it. The developers experimented against players wishes and as a result the players went elsewhere.
This link says exactly about SMNC as we are currently saying about Hawken:

*You should download this game...for the sole porpose of getting the tf2 hats from it, otherwise the game is terrible. this person probably got stomped hard

**but that's the reason why the game died quickly, broken matchmaking and bad balancing

***Otherwise it was an amazing game The matchmaking wasn't broken when it had enough players to work. The problem is matchmaking requires a huge (500+) playerbase to even kinda work.
http://steamcommunit...50245514183415/

Great content with bad nerfs and lousy matchmaking.

I was there when Noobies came into the game and obliterated seasoned vets.
The takeaway_ Be careful on what you choose to hold ground on. The end user will tell you what they need to improve their experience. Give it to them in a timely fashion.

#174 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted July 27 2014 - 02:07 PM

please let this thread die, it serves no purpose now...
Posted Image

#175 Slide2Die

Slide2Die

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationIN A DUEL HAHAHAHA

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:19 AM

Beefsweat... let the newbies read here....

Posted Image
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Duels_ I'm ready send me a pm and i play! TAD = The art of DUELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't try to beat me, just do it.

#176 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:19 AM

What definitely needs fixed, by any method:

746 In-Game

Edited by EM1O, August 13 2014 - 11:20 AM.

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#177 I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted August 18 2014 - 12:58 AM

I'm just sitting here and getng a nice warm feeling... What is it_ Nostalgia... This footage...
Gonna return to this topic every day i would feel sad and watch the video. For holy light of the Moon i was dissapointed when i first saw this "holographic" HUD. Yup. Called it. I miss good old numbers indicating my hp. It was the time when alarm sound of you having low hp had some sence. I'm gonna cry now... Quite iterally. No kidding involved.
You better shouldn't do !!Science!!, 'cos i will bring it to you myself.
References to the God of References.

#178 Mawnkey

Mawnkey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDirectly Behind You

Posted August 18 2014 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

NOBODY CARES ABOUT EVERY WHINEY OPINION IN THIS THREAD.
At least I sure as hell don't. Let it die already.

Edited by Mawnkey, August 18 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#179 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostI2DI, on August 18 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

I'm just sitting here and getng a nice warm feeling... What is it_ Nostalgia... This footage...
Gonna return to this topic every day i would feel sad and watch the video. For holy light of the Moon i was dissapointed when i first saw this "holographic" HUD. Yup. Called it. I miss good old numbers indicating my hp. It was the time when alarm sound of you having low hp had some sence. I'm gonna cry now... Quite iterally. No kidding involved.

I HUD was integrated into the cockpit as it should be.
Trust me, you aren't the only one that misses it.

It was one of the things that made Hawken special and unique.
DOn't get me wrong the ugly bars are unique as well... But not in the right way.

#180 Huanglong

Huanglong

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 02:52 PM

I think the game will flop now or then, if the developers don't start to listen to the players... but with thier arrogance I doubt they'll do... especially if you see what other devs also with a small team can do, they actually listen to thier players and make the changes that are demanded

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users