• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Trinnexx

Trinnexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Were all merc's right, surely there is contractual penalty for battle abandonment?

But more seriously, the stream of players joining for two minutes and leaving if the first cap/AA/TDM doesnt go thier way seems greater than players who stay on. I can't help but think its lazy players joining to see if they can get a quick daily reward and then fluffing off to another server if they can't.

Its a classic example of a free to play model hindering fun and fair game play. So im suggesting a penalty of 200HC~ for abandonment and 50HC~ for a disconnect (Internet, client crash etc). 200HC is what you'd earn roughly if you hung around anyway, so it can be earnt back by just sticking it out for around.

Further more an abandonment (but not d/c) should count as a double loss reguarding the pilot stats, just to be sure players arnt leaving in order to maintain some sort of win/loss ratio.

Edited by Trinnexx, 21 March 2015 - 10:42 PM.

Saltydawg

Saltydawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I absolutely agree there needs to be some kind of deterrence for abandoning a match. I was thinking more along the lines of a debuff like World of Warcraft has where you get a coward debuff and can't reque for a match for 15 mins. Maybe for this game a 5 min debuff...idk...but something needs to be done! The only problem I see with this is recently many of us have been crashing right at the end of matches. This needs to be fixed before we can give them a debuff. 

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Nahhhh just if u abandon a match u ll have to wait till the match is over (u ll wait in ur garage or something) and then the queue starts

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy bunny into
 (") (") your signature to help him gain world domination XD

And if you dont .... 

bloody_keyboard.gif    <-------------- ME and Bunny

(This is also me when u no cooperate in game XD)

Rei

Rei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Yeah leavers are usually the ones to ruin games.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Yeah leavers are usually the ones to ruin games.

Lol guys of course there are leavers but the other team could have leavers too u know ! XD ? we got late enterers too ! XD

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Houruck

Houruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
I supported the implementation of the HC bonus for completing a game and I am still against the penalty solution.
Why would you want to take away someone's credits because the game crashed or the connection dropped?
  • Aregon, Miscellaneous, MomOw and 1 other like this

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST

United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

predators gonna predate

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

I supported the implementation of the HC bonus for completing a game and I am still against the penalty solution.
Why would you want to take away someone's credits because the game crashed or the connection dropped?

OMG IKR LOL! XD man it ALLWAYS happens to me lol XD

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

^^ This

And also, what about those who do not wish to leave the match but had to, for IRL reasons?

Taking away their hard-earned HC for reasons out of their control is a little nasty, IMO.

KOBALT DEFENCE REGIMENT

...and let slip the dogs of war...

Twitter%201.jpg?psid=1Steam%202.jpg?psid=1Tube%203.jpg?psid=1Hawken%204.jpg?psid=1Twitch%205.jpg?psid=1

Spoiler

Trinnexx

Trinnexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I agree a bonus for staying could work.

Anyone surfing for a quick win isn't really supporting fair play and also contributes to a lack of player retention ('why would I try when everyone else is doing this..' etc). Should trading ever become involved this will be greatly magnified as plays 'farm' instead of just playing the game.
Even 200HC is a minor penalty, it can be almost earnt back in a single round wich is not a lot of time. Maybe to play requires a 50HC buy-in (if you have it) and its returned on completion, meaning D/C's only lose that 50. Psycologically the buy-in would indicate to players that they need to be dedicated and would encorage them to be more engaged. This may also create an afk problem, but the percentage of players bothering to walk into corners and wait it out would be much lower.
I know its not a popular idea but win farming abandoment right now is so rife its actually effecting players who want to enjoy the game.

The time penatly punishes people with crash issues as well at this point.
No solution is perfect, finding one that mitagates the effects of abandoners without modifing game play (damage, temp bots, longer opposition spawns) is another alternative but may unbalance the game. Its not like we have 24 man servers with play rewards just appearing the drop of a hat ;)

I feel like matches hang in the balance of players so much, there needs to be a risk/reward structure that clearly reflects how much one players difference can make.

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I agree with having a HC penalty and possible rebuff to wait before joining another match

DM30

DM30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

There already is an HC penalty: You don't get the HC you would have gotten by staying in the game. Taking HC away just hurts people who have to leave for IRL reasons, like Miscellaneous stated.

I would be completely fine with a queue lockout for a small time period. If you have to leave for IRL reasons it won't affect you anyway.

Edited by DM30, 23 March 2015 - 10:56 AM.

• HHJFTRU likes this

Hawken gameplay

TPG Playlists -- Season 2 | Season 3

Odra

Odra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Deterrents such as the ones proposed would not hinder my decision to leave one bit, my stats are irrelevant to me and credits are not an issue with my garage.

A cooldown system might aggravate my enough to consider staying, but if the stomp is severe enough I'd simply wait out the cooldown playing other games in my library.

I will concede that it might just be me, since I see such deterrents as threats, and once threatened I tend to defy them.

Abandons are the result, the cause of the abandons should be addressed first.

cj19DGF.jpg

"Less Pew Pew; More EU!"

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I had a suggestion for a bonus, rather than a penalty. I proposed adding a percent chance for a "salvage" drop at the end of the match (provided you stay for the whole thing) and the percentage increases with consecutive matches in the same server. If you're interested you should check out my thread.

• Trinnexx likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

I had a suggestion for a bonus, rather than a penalty. I proposed adding a percent chance for a "salvage" drop at the end of the match (provided you stay for the whole thing) and the percentage increases with consecutive matches in the same server. If you're interested you should check out my thread.

That is a nice suggestion XD

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Trinnexx

Trinnexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Abandons are the result, the cause of the abandons should be addressed first.

Its not entirely true, while the poor balance system is partially the culprit, players attitudes are at the forefront.
You play to unlock and sadly some consider it easier to abandon and go to another match for the dailies.
If we were in a dystopian future of corperate fudalism you'd probably just get excecuted for such actions! xD

What if you were to loose the ability to earn the daily for that game type for an hour or so?

Panzermanathod

Panzermanathod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Generally I abandon matches when something happens IRL and I am away for too long. I don't want to get penalized for something beyond my control.

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

My opinion :

- maybe some penalty for people that quit, but a little sophisticated, what about something like  :

. you may leave once per hour without penalty (connection problem, children, wife, diner, etc)

. no penalty if you leave for an invite and if the server in not locked

. otherwise you get a 5min timer that prevent you from joining games except "bot TDM" and "DM".

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

HeraldRedfordIII

HeraldRedfordIII

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

When I've played 20 minutes of a game that I've been losing the entire 20 minutes the last thing i want to do is continue to play for another 10 minutes let alone 15 and to give up the 200 HC (I know they would only give me) pisses me off but I'd rather actually play the game then be preyed on. I play games for fun.   

That said I still want HC and to not only not be given HC for the effort I've already put in but to also have it taken away would make me quit this game. I should Not be punished because I'm having a shitty time with an imbalanced match. I want my garage to build and grow,but I don't want to have to suffer to do it. I get enough of that sh*t in the real world.

Edited by HeraldRedfordIII, 01 April 2015 - 11:56 AM.

LobsterBox

LobsterBox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You already don't get anything when you leave a match before it ends. you don't need more than that.

Grollourdo

Grollourdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts
What if the guy has to leave because of IRL reasons or internet issues??? Wouldn't we all hate that?

(\__/)

And if you dont .... 

Scow2

Scow2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Eh... as a largely TDM player, I don't see a problem with the current set-up - you already lose the HC you would have earned for the time you played and the time you'll re-que. And, the difference in HC earned between a victory and a loss isn't very significant.

Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Were all merc's right, surely there is contractual penalty for battle abandonment?

But more seriously, the stream of players joining for two minutes and leaving if the first cap/AA/TDM doesnt go thier way seems greater than players who stay on. I can't help but think its lazy players joining to see if they can get a quick daily reward and then fluffing off to another server if they can't.

Its a classic example of a free to play model hindering fun and fair game play. So im suggesting a penalty of 200HC~ for abandonment and 50HC~ for a disconnect (Internet, client crash etc). 200HC is what you'd earn roughly if you hung around anyway, so it can be earnt back by just sticking it out for around.

Further more an abandonment (but not d/c) should count as a double loss reguarding the pilot stats, just to be sure players arnt leaving in order to maintain some sort of win/loss ratio.

While something most definitely needs to be done, something at one point was done, the "Team Abandoned" stat. Which also forfit all XP/HC earned in the match as well. That still doesn't stop people from coming and going. While yes there are the ones like you pointed out, which are the daily chasers, but theres also the stereotypical "bad team" quitters. These people are far more prevalent then anyone else they far out number any other quitter in the game.

As for your suggested penalities, the -200 HC on leave would be alright. But the -50 HC on disconnect shouldn't happen, not everyone can control their connection to the server. Add on to the fact that theres the occasional backend garage glitch, which just leaves you at an empty UI-less garage, where your only alternative is to force close the client and relog in. Not to mention some servers have a bad habit of just randomly kicking people for no darn reason, the very last reason that should be taken into account for a game leave. Is the very random extreme ping variaition. I as well as many others have been in matches where, the previous round our ping was nice and low and solid, then the next round, all of a sudden our ping has double, tripled or even quadroupled. When your used to playing at 20~60 ping, and then all of a sudden, your ping is 120~300 sometimes 400 or 500 on the same server you just had 20~60. You loose your desire to stay there since obviously thats unplayable to you. Add on irl issues that can arrise both with internet and without.

tTIViUr.png

Pumapaw

Pumapaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I'm a leaver

I leave for a few reasons that are good to me

1. No team play I leave

2.Last min of game down by 10 or above I leave

3.I'm no help to my team get killed more then kill I leave

4. I'm a kitten and have no patience need to use the litter box I leave.

5. Enter game new 2 min left I leave.

6. Enter game score 32 to 6 i leave. No point in playing

I hope that will help you why I leave.

Basically if there is no chance of a win I leave. I don't play for a participation medal.

Besides I have 310 thousand HC It was all earned when you all left.

I play 1 mech if it doesnt work in the team I got I'm a liability.

Things that do need fixing for balance.

Never add a player into a game one at a time

Always in pairs so both teams have equal players. 

Unless filling a spot because I left.

The reason I say this is I have seen many games within 1 kill of each other then all off a sudden a new player pops in and they get an extra gun and win.

One other detail get a grip on life it's a game.

By the way some of you do know I have stayed on occasion and gotten a team win from a losing team. But I need to see a chance to win otherwise to me it's just a waste of time to play.

Edited by Pumapaw, 01 April 2015 - 06:35 PM.

Pumapaw

Pumapaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

If you don't want folks to leave.

First learn about team play. This isn't go out by your lonesome to kill. The games about go out in a pair or better to kill.

Unless your running a sniper quit doing stand to the rear long distant shooting. Most mechs do not have a LD weapon. Engage as a team.

Watch enemy health bars. Kill the weak first.. Its a score. Don't be afraid to kill any opposing member that is trying to kill a team mate. Its A TEAM game. There is no kill stealing. A kill by any means is a score for your team.

Your team mate is badly hurt and under fire. Jump in front of him to take the hits. He just might survive.

Also pay attention to your team health. Bad health means hes getting shot perhaps you might help. Perhaps you could pick up an easy kill.

Have a good day.

Trinnexx

Trinnexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Add on to the fact that theres the occasional backend garage glitch

Had that for the first time today! xD

Horrible, I've litterally never had an issue up until now. Never had the lag issue, I have pretty long lag anyway by default (220-300~), playing from Australia.
Aside from a few of those reasons, most of those are exactly what ruins a match Puma, sorry. Particularly the first 3. I'd rather have a close game that I lose than a game that turns to the stuff because 2-3 people decided in the first 5mins it wasnt 'worth it'.

I don't particularly care about my KDR or win ratio either. A close games a good game, even if its not close, knowing the team stuck it out makes it more bareable.
I guess it depends on if losing upsets a player or not, personally it doesn't upset me. But regardless players complain in game about abandonment.
If you read through, a demographic of players with no support for a penalty is starting to form.
As for 'Its a game', so is football, how would you feel if you were playing a team sport and half you team walked off to another field after the opposition scored a goal. Or you played a board game with someone and they flipped the table after losing a piece.

Would you play with them again?

Pumapaw

Pumapaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I'm not talking about starting in a game. I'm a mid game joiner most of the time. Sometimes being a liability to your team requires the coach to bench you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Abanonders, HC, Penalty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users