* * * * * 1 votes Easy XP but low HC HC P2W MC XP

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

FURRYHUSKY1000

FURRYHUSKY1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm new to the game, I'll admit the gameplay isn't bad (It's Fun after all) but It get's annoying when the match ends finding out that you leveled up 2 levels and yet only earning around 95 HC which is damn small.

How come I earn more XP (More than 5k-8k at most) leveling up so quickly and yet barely even earning HC (around 90-200HC)?

And the new Mech prices just made me quit the game instantly.

I guess this game lost a player.

Edited by FURRYHUSKY1000, 05 June 2015 - 01:18 AM.

• crockrocket, Hijinks_The_Turtle and Drusus like this

~FURRYHUSKY1000

Morquedeas

Morquedeas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

The amount of HC you get in a match is dependant on a lot of things, like your score and match time.  Doing better will get you more HC.  Try focusing on your daily wins, you get 250 HC for each win of each gamemode per day, which quite a nice amount.  If you win a TDM, a DM, MA, and seige mode, thats 1k HC just from the daily reward.  Coop Bot match might also give HC (someone else needs to confirm this) and can be a great way to get loads of xp and practice stuff like aiming if you're a new player.  Honestly though, I usually make like 200-400 hc in a seige match (sans daily reward), running eu for your team can really bring your score up and seige games tend to last a while too.  But really if you don't like playing enough to play regardless of earnings, I wouldn't expect you to stick around anyways.

• EM1O, DieselCat, Saitech and 1 other like this

talons1337

talons1337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

git gud

In all seriousness though...

And what do you mean new mech prices? Do you mean the current mech prices? They range from 4k HC to 15k HC, which isn't that much.

What you want to get is the daily win bonuses. You can get plenty of HC from daily win bonuses. Each gamemode will have its own bonus, so if you win one of each gamemode you can get like 1k HC in a day, plus whatever other HC you gain by not winning.

Anyway -- don't play the game as a grind or to get HC... You should be playing the game to have fun, not to grind HC... If playing the game is a chore for you, something's wrong.

Anyway, as you go up the levels, the high EXP you're gaining becomes less and less effective, so you'll be leveling up more slowly.

By the way, you can get a boost on what you're gaining (I'm not sure if it's an EXP or HC boost) by using the promo code "NEWRECRUIT" and also by filling out all your profile details on the hawken website which grants you 1000 HC free

Edited by talons1337, 04 June 2015 - 01:52 AM.

• EM1O likes this

When in doubt, attack your own team. You will still get points for it!

5Fv3Gsb.jpg

NBv9U8X.gif

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Can't beat the price tho.

Free is for me. I got a whole fragload of mechs, bunches of stuffs. Sometimes it takes forever to sync the game because I have so much Stuffs. Didn't have to spend real money to get them.

I don't understand the beef.

Co-op Team Death Match will earn about 70 to 120 HC depending on match length (longer times = much higher payout), not getting killed, percentage of enemy mech eliminated value, kill bonus, assist bonus, etc etc. And yes, 250hc Daily Win Bonus.

Regular pvp (Siege!) can get some pretty ridiculously huge payouts depending on game length, game type/mode, and the above mentioned variables.

Enjoy

Edited by em1o, 04 June 2015 - 02:01 AM.

• PoopSlinger, Miscellaneous, talons1337 and 6 others like this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

BaronSaturday

BaronSaturday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

The amount of HC you get in a match is dependant on a lot of things, like your score and match time. Doing better will get you more HC. Try focusing on your daily wins, you get 250 HC for each win of each gamemode per day, which quite a nice amount. If you win a TDM, a DM, MA, and seige mode, thats 1k HC just from the daily reward. Coop Bot match might also give HC (someone else needs to confirm this) and can be a great way to get loads of xp and practice stuff like aiming if you're a new player. Honestly though, I usually make like 200-400 hc in a seige match (sans daily reward), running eu for your team can really bring your score up and seige games tend to last a while too. But really if you don't like playing enough to play regardless of earnings, I wouldn't expect you to stick around anyways.

False. HC gas nothing to do with score. Simply the length of match, win/loss, and whether you volunteered for balance.

Technician | Fear the Beam | Support
Welcome to the End of Days
KHCwt3J.png
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]
Smoke this!

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Whinny kids.

• CrimsonKaim likes this

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

They killed the Team Balancer Bonus though. Now it only gives 50 HC, instead of 200 HC, which is ridiculous.

Edited by ??ß?Ø؃??, 04 June 2015 - 03:02 AM.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

They killed the Team Balancer Bonus though. Now it only gives 50 HC, instead of 200 HC, which is ridiculous.

And you killed my eyes ;_;

Didn't realise the team balancer changed back. It could have been deliberate or a mistake, but either way the devs are still fiddling with the economy and will be for the next 2 weeks or so.

Spoiler

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Rainbow Sheep, on 04 Jun 2015 - 9:18 PM, said:

And you killed my eyes ;_;

.gif

RQFjmVO.gif

Edited by ??ß?Ø؃??, 04 June 2015 - 04:21 AM.

• Badtings likes this

d9133aa6ec.jpg

xRequiem

xRequiem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Pretty sure it used to only be 20. So, still net gain at least.

Edited by xRequiem, 04 June 2015 - 04:50 AM.

System64

System64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

It was 20 at initial release and then Adhesive made it 200. It was 200 until the Half Price deals initially came out.

d9133aa6ec.jpg

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I'm new to the game, I'll admit the gameplay isn't bad (It's Fun after all) but It get's annoying when the match ends finding out that you leveled up 2 levels and yet only earning around 95 HC which is damn small.

How come I earn more XP (More than 5k-8k at most) leveling up so quickly and yet barely even earning HC (around 90-100HC)?

We agree, but generally speaking it's incredibly difficult to take anything you say seriously when you end with "I guess this game lost a player."

Sure, we need new players, but that's such a goddamn conceited way to sign off we're better off without you.

• EM1O, Zuurkern, DeeRax and 2 others like this

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

I understand your feelings quite well, but you can't just judge a book by its cover.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

git gud

There are situations where I see why this phrase is used on the forums. Inthis case? ARE YOU fuzzy bunnyNG KIDDING ME?! Yeah that's gonna make the new player (who is already disgruntled) even MORE interested in playing the game /s. 

Pay attention to these threads capn. In some ways these opinions are much more important than those of us that have been around the block.

Edited by (TDM)crockrocket, 04 June 2015 - 07:00 AM.

• Hijinks_The_Turtle likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

How come I earn more XP (More than 5k-8k at most) leveling up so quickly and yet barely even earning HC (around 90-100HC)?

I'd like to add a little something to all the things already said by our fellows Morquedeas and em1o, with whom I agree.

The idea is to gain practice with the starting mech (I think it's the Assault right now) and get used to the game piloting that particular mech until you get the hang of it. Only then you should move on to some more difficult challenges. It doesn't mean it has ALWAYS to be like that, but I think it's the way the game was designed.

Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.

MessyBopzz: like jesus?

Cybrex: Better than jesus

xaW8OWj.png

HWGNjmo.png  LUAERYM.png  KVKGZ2j.png  nCDGAWz.png  HWGNjmo.png

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

We agree, but generally speaking it's incredibly difficult to take anything you say seriously when you end with "I guess this game lost a player."

Sure, we need new players, but that's such a goddamn conceited way to sign off we're better off without you.

The guy could be bluffing, but if he's not its one of the most serious things he can say for a game like this, and you should take it seriously.

The grind is basically the only complaint I have with the game, but it's staggering how flawed it is. I've seen "the devs need money" as an excuse for it, I've seen the whole "practice" spiel, I've legit seen people use "Well I don't complain about it" as an argument for it.

1. No one will spend money if they're not playing the game.

2. See above.

3. See above.

There are actual counter arguments to each of those excuses (the one to number 3 being "You're a fuzzy bunnyng moron") but that's the only reason that matters.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

The guy could be bluffing, but if he's not its one of the most serious things he can say for a game like this, and you should take it seriously.

The grind is basically the only complaint I have with the game, but it's staggering how flawed it is. I've seen "the devs need money" as an excuse for it, I've seen the whole "practice" spiel, I've legit seen people use "Well I don't complain about it" as an argument for it.

1. No one will spend money if they're not playing the game.

2. See above.

3. See above.

There are actual counter arguments to each of those excuses (the one to number 3 being "You're a fuzzy bunnyng moron") but that's the only reason that matters.

We agree,

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

btw. i lurked here this a.m.. he never returned to the thread after posting, and logged off an hour later.

Hasty la Vigh-sta, moochaycho, as Daffy Duck would say.

Thread Closed.

• crockrocket and comic_sans like this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Currently, the items are at a good price point. They used to be exorbitantly expensive, but are now more reasonable. Often times, you had to grind your way to make half the value of a mech just to get an internal on it.

I still think there should be a marginal increase in HC throughput, and reward those who risk a lot during a game to win.

• comic_sans likes this

TpsOr7F.png

Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Free awesome game is FREE!

8CyRDl7.gifGYM1W9I.png

KarlSchlag

KarlSchlag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Send me a Space Shuttle for christmas and I'll complain that it its no bicycle.

Edited by (KDR) KarlSchlag, 04 June 2015 - 10:13 AM.

• LaurenEmily and Badtings like this

IRZUTYo.png

SaYxVQp.pngbWmghey.png

KDR Veteran Member / KDR Server Administrator

Spoiler

LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

I'm confused why someone would setup their forum account just to write 1 post saying that they are leaving.  Not everyone is going to agree to the pay model. 

I'm new to the game, I'll admit the gameplay isn't bad (It's Fun after all)

"Isn't bad" =/= good.  Sounds to be like this might not be the game for you.  If you liked the game, there would be no "grind"

...but It get's annoying when the match ends finding out that you leveled up 2 levels and yet only earning around 95 HC which is damn small.

This problem would be solved if you earned less experience.

Edited by LEmental, 04 June 2015 - 10:20 AM.

hkn_sign_lgbt_by_neraste-d8oyzga.png

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

"Isn't bad" =/= good.  Sounds to be like this might not be the game for you.  If you liked the game, there would be no "grind"

I like the game. There's a grind.

• breadeffect likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

The "grind" in Hawken is practically invisible if you're doing it remotely right.  I suppose, if you're only looking for instant gratification and mechs/weapons that take no more than 3 or 4 matches to master, then Hawken isn't for you at any level of grind.

If you're not putting at least 10 hours (being generous there) into learning your mech and it's equipment, you're doing it wrong!

I have found, on every single mech, that I'm finally feeling comfortable and proficient at it at the same time it hits its level cap.  Perfect.  What makes that better is that I found that I had exactly the right amount of HC at that time to go but a new one and give it a little equipment.  Perfect.

• Jakyll, EM1O and 6ixxer like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Badtings

Badtings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Send me a Space Shuttle for christmas and I'll complain that it its no bicycle.

LOL!

8CyRDl7.gifGYM1W9I.png

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

The "grind" in Hawken is practically invisible if you're doing it remotely right.  I suppose, if you're only looking for instant gratification and mechs/weapons that take no more than 3 or 4 matches to master, then Hawken isn't for you at any level of grind.

If you're not putting at least 10 hours (being generous there) into learning your mech and it's equipment, you're doing it wrong!

I have found, on every single mech, that I'm finally feeling comfortable and proficient at it at the same time it hits its level cap.  Perfect.  What makes that better is that I found that I had exactly the right amount of HC at that time to go but a new one and give it a little equipment.  Perfect.

http://hawken.heroku...r/testhawken001

15 hours.

And even if we accept this, forcing a player to play the same mech for so long is not a viable way to market a game. I share the same frustration as the OP, and I'm actually fuzzy bunnyng good at the game.

Edited by TestHAWKEN001, 04 June 2015 - 11:24 AM.

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

^Cool Testhawken001.

However, nobody is forced to play the same mech for so long.  That's why it's "Free to play" with a model that allows you to "pay not to grind".  That is very admirable compared to the majority of free-to-play games which require players to spend real money to be able to actually compete and win.  I am one of those people who will absolutely NOT play a pay-to-win game - the moment I realize a game is like that, I'm gone.

Since a free-to-play game is relying on in-game purchases to support it, I find Hawken's model to be absolutely exemplary.

• DieselCat and 6ixxer like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

plvgQVV.png

I'm actually fuzzy bunnyng good at the game.

may the e-peen measuring begin

I do think the grind is a bit harsh, but then I'm used to just buying everything with money lol..

/lazy

• kasei likes this

Liederkranz

Liederkranz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

btw. i lurked here this a.m.. he never returned to the thread after posting, and logged off an hour later.

Hasty la Vigh-sta, moochaycho, as Daffy Duck would say.

Thread Closed.

Perhaps he logs in once a day. We should give him a little more time before throwing his thread to the bin. BTW, it´s "Hasta la vista, muchacho" xD.

http://hawken.heroku...r/testhawken001

15 hours.

And even if we accept this, forcing a player to play the same mech for so long is not a viable way to market a game. I share the same frustration as the OP, and I'm actually fuzzy bunnyng good at the game.

That's why there are test drives, and that's why there are a couple of mechs worth around 3000 and 7000 HC (IIRC), cheaper than the average 12000 HC price.

And also, this:

However, nobody is forced to play the same mech for so long.  That's why it's "Free to play" with a model that allows you to "pay not to grind".  That is very admirable compared to the majority of free-to-play games which require players to spend real money to be able to actually compete and win.  I am one of those people who will absolutely NOT play a pay-to-win game - the moment I realize a game is like that, I'm gone.

Since a free-to-play game is relying on in-game purchases to support it, I find Hawken's model to be absolutely exemplary.

Edited by Liederkranz, 04 June 2015 - 11:51 AM.

Cybrex: Predators hunt from above.

MessyBopzz: like jesus?

Cybrex: Better than jesus

xaW8OWj.png

HWGNjmo.png  LUAERYM.png  KVKGZ2j.png  nCDGAWz.png  HWGNjmo.png

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

(Unknown)157a3decb342f5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

This is all well and good, but you all seem to be missing a real simple point.

People don't pay money for a game they don't play.

• ScarletThirteen and kasei like this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

While I am loathe to continue contributing to a thread that irritates me, I'm going to go ahead and compare Hawken's grind to the only other early access multiplayer game I play these days: Fractured Space.

In Hawken it took me about 4 months to unlock everything I wanted and about 6 to unlock everything worth unlocking. A year later I have unlocked everything and bought everything. I'm going to keep playing Hawken because I love it.

In Fractured Space it took me 32 hours to unlock everything and by hour 13 I'd already bought in at the highest level of support for all the available skins and I am probably going to continue to buy whatever packs come out. I'm going to keep playing Fractured Space because I love it.

But I'm not blind so I can say one of these things has a grind that drives new players away and is bad for player retention. Appreciation of a game is only a single factor.

• DM30 likes this

breadeffect

breadeffect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I like the game. There's a grind.

I play on my seconds all the time, yes there is indeed a heavy grind.  I've only been able to outfit 2 mechs out of 20 hours of play.  Pretty dumb imo.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

This is all well and good, but you all seem to be missing a real simple point.

People don't pay money for a game they don't play.

I've got to agree with this. I really doubt this thread is going to change anything on its own, but it'd be nice if some of you guys recognized that this is perhaps the only thing that matters regarding this discussion.

Games need money - and while I've seen it brought up that a steeper grind incentivizes paying into it, this just isn't true. The assault just isn't going to get many players hooked. The maps just aren't going to get many players hooked. The matchmaking certainly isn't going to get many players hooked, so what incentive do players have to buy into the game?

People like unlocking things, but if everything else plays against them, they're not going to play for hours and hours on end unlocking one mech, and they're certainly not going to pay what is now something like $10 for a single mech in a game they're not hooked on.

This may be reflective of larger issues, but the feeling of playing a new mech is a good thing, and giving new players good experiences is what's going to keep them playing, and it's what's going to get them paying as well.

The experience of new players right now is... It's largely crap, and here I'm reading all these posts about how you, dedicated community members dealt with it. It's disappointing. Congratulations. Maybe one day Reloaded will roll out an exclusive achievement for you, but that day will only ever come if people who are less than half as dedicated buy into the game, and that means incentivizing playing it.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 04 June 2015 - 01:40 PM.

• Dedhed likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Dedhed

Dedhed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Yeah, a hook is really needed to make people feel compelled to play play play. Missions sound like a great idea for that, but it's been said a content release like that is months away. Honestly and unfortunately, I don't know what they could do before that to set the hook.

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -- Chief Crazy Horse

"Love is the Law, Love under Will" -- Aleister Crowley

"This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Otherland

Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

It would be more interesting if we had some examples of what you guys think is an appropriate amount of grind, how much HC do you want per round (or how much should mech/internals/items/weapons cost).

I'm sure that content would actually come out even slower then ADH did as even they figured out that promising a mech a month was unrealistic.

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

It would be more interesting if we had some examples of what you guys think is an appropriate amount of grind, how much HC do you want per round (or how much should mech/internals/items/weapons cost).

I'm sure that content would actually come out even slower then ADH did as even they figured out that promising a mech a month was unrealistic.

I think being able to unlock a new mech somewhere around every two hours of play is reasonable. There are 13 mechs, plus the Assault and the CRT, meaning at the minimum, it would take a full day of playing to unlock all the mechs, if you completely avoided spending HC on anything else. Granted, if you're not aware, as I wasn't until I loaded up HWK to write this post, the prices of items and internals have been lowered significantly it seems.

This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Perhaps we should wait and see on this one, though it looks like it's time to make a new account to test this stuff out. I'm thinking... TestHAWKEN002.

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

Nightfirebolt

Nightfirebolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Levels are meaningless. In all honesty, I don't even know why we still have them. All they do is allow you to buy more stuff. The mech ranks are more important.

And yes, HC gain is slow, but there are ways to gain it faster if you really want to stick with the game. Follow these steps:

1) Play a lot of siege,

2) Play every game mode in a day to get your daily win bonuses for all of them (including bot matches),

3) Volunteer to switch teams whenever the team balancer pops up,

4) Check in on the weekends, because we've had a lot of double XP/HC events recently

If doing those things doesn't give you enough HC, keep in mind that Hawken really isn't about the progression. Ranking up your mechs only unlocks additional weapons, which aren't necessarily "better" than the previous ones. All progression is horizontal.

So if the gameplay alone isn't hooking you, this game probably isn't for you. Thanks for trying it out, though.

Edited by Nightfirebolt, 04 June 2015 - 02:53 PM.

Pumapaw

Pumapaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I got to much HC. Need the other stuff.

talon70

talon70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

The first impression a brand new pilot gets is huge for the future of the game. In this case a new player saw many mechs jump in price as the mechs were set to the same value. Bad timing.

The price of mechs and items  when converted to real money or time spent to get is too much for many during the first impression of the game. Even if they enjoy the play of the game, i think most feel the grind is too long from starting mech to get a few more. Maybe vouchers or codes for a few heavily discounted mechs to get started could help.

The initial impression of cost of items needs work. If we still have the "NEWRECRUIT" bonus, I doubt new players know. Throw new pilots whatever bones are needed to slope the progression and make it economically easier to begin.

Edited by talon70, 04 June 2015 - 04:52 PM.

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Pffttt!! You people forgot the most important thing of all!!  .......................................... Shoot Dave first!!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Nov8tr, 04 June 2015 - 07:25 PM.

• comic_sans likes this

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Easy XP but low HC, HC, P2W, MC, XP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users