Photo

Recommendations for a defensive-style mech.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

youmirindude

youmirindude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello all, I've playing Hawken for about 2-3 months now and have really enjoyed the game and the tight knit community. I was looking for a new mech to purchase, and after reviewing various guides (Saturnine's, etc) I'm still at a stalemate. SoldierHobbes recommended in a video relating to "finding your playstyle" that for a defensive style (i.e. flanking), he recommends assassins. My first corner play mech was the Brawler, and although I dig the loadout and durability, its far too slow for my preference (although in seige its a can crusher). The Raider resonates with me most, and although it took awhile for me to get accustomed to, its grown to be my favorite mech thus far. So I've narrowed it down to either the Predator or the Infiltrator. If you guys would recommend something else however, that would be choice as well. Thanks.

youmirindude

youmirindude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Decided to get the Infiltrator. Big mistake. I can't seem to flank properly and always get caught out. Wasted HC -_-

reVelske

reVelske

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Give it time, Predator takes practice.

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Decided to get the Infiltrator. Big mistake. I can't seem to flank properly and always get caught out. Wasted HC -_-

Some tips:

When cloaked (to not appear on radar) and moving into the enemy flank, walk sideways and dodge, it's almost as fast as boosting and you save fuel.

If you think the enemy has a portable scanner, you can use cloak to avoid the continuous revealment of your location (but you give a ping to the enemy team when you enter scanner's radius and every few seconds after that). You do have a smaller margin of error while doing this, though. You can use a Radar Scrambler to partly mask your operations (depends on the map whether this is viable).

Avoid walking cloaked in places where the enemy either 1) has a sight on you at a long distance (although the lack of red brackets help you not being seen) or 2) there's a lot of empty space behind you (to the enemy), This is because the fog effect doesn't get rendered through the cloak, which means you're easily being seen.

If the enemy team has a decent Predator, it's much harder to flank, and being surprised by a Predator means you have very little chance of fighting back.

If you're caught on, you can either try another angle of attack or harass with corner play. If you can occupy two people with your moves, you've effectively "killed" two people from the enemy team and giving your team a numbers advantage.

• Guns_N_Rozer, MomOw, Rajitha and 1 other like this

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I find the Infiltrator to be very well suited for assassinations mid-battle. Or at least that's the way I probably use it the most. And I use it a lot.

Think of a TDM on Last Eco: The two teams hit each other at pride rock or another choke point and a lot of suppression fire is exchanged.

Of course I contribute my firepower in the beginning, but because of the Infils low healthpool I will likely have to repair soon.

At that point I will have figured out my primary target (be it a tech or a rocketeer or just the top player of their team, whatever is causing the most trouble). Once I'm done repairing I rejoin my team, keeping the tinyest bit of distance to them, pop the ability and while everyone is distracted I just head straight over there, past the frontline fighters and present my dear friend with a volley of charged Heat, Grenade and Detonator/EMP. :)

You do not always have to take an entirely different route to flank.

Just remember to hit and run. You are very squishy. So once you're done with the guy you wanted dead, head back to your mates for cover.

youmirindude

youmirindude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I suppose the AR is terrible for assassination. A sustained damage weapon doesn't really make much rational sense on a mech purely designed for burst and corner harassment. Thanks for the advice guys, just got rolled again but will try once more.

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

I suppose the AR is terrible for assassination. A sustained damage weapon doesn't really make much rational sense on a mech purely designed for burst and corner harassment. Thanks for the advice guys, just got rolled again but will try once more.

Seriously, Infil is a pretty neat mech for the EOC (<= especially this one) and Heat Cannon.  Tho, the AR is equally viable due to it being an easy weapon.  BUT, in my opinion, I believe it's there to ease people into the mech.  I still love breaking out my AR on it.

Bergwein

Bergwein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I believe it's there to ease people into the mech.

True that.

Although ArchMech once told me he mains the AR on Infil, because it helps you zoning enemies into trickshots with your GL.

And truth is, there ain't much zoning with the other 2 weapons.

Spoiler

youmirindude

youmirindude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

K fellas, started doing consistently better with the Infiltrator. I think I was relying on my cloak far too much. I tend to use it as an escape method rather than assassination, the latter seems a bit more situational. Considering the cloak drains fuel, if my attempt fails, its like running out of Charmin. I recently picked up the Heat Cannon, a bit tricky but its interesting to learn. I'm kinda stoked for the EOC, I think that weapon will fit my playstyle more than the other two. Again, thanks for the contribution guys.

• Bergwein likes this

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts
good defensive style mech is a rev-gl gren.
Also if u good with advanced dodges and covers, try a cupcake with mini-flak.

Both mech is very rare on battlefield with this weapon loadout, and probably required a time to "be good with this". But can be very enjoyable and interesting to play, if u know how use it. And defensive :D

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

DarkBuda

DarkBuda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'd recommend G2R, with shield you can stay defensive and use that to your advantage hiding and popping out when you have to unload. Your opponent will definitely think twice.  :smile:

4w3POM1.png

Sp3ctrr

Sp3ctrr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Stick some orbs, an extractor and a repair kit on a vanguard.

Nothing will stand in your way.

• MechFighter5e3bf9 likes this

Welcome_To_The_Enclave.png

Spoiler

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Flak brawler, in my opinion, is easily the best defensive mech for a new player. A lot of HP, a lot of fuel, a lot of cqc firepower (flak), and TOW (best secondary).

Once you level it up you can get the SA Hawkins which makes the brawler good on every map. Can use SA or Flak depending on map size/team comp. The zoning/supression ability of SA Hawkins is very very good. 

Health orb + EMP or if you want to be a 1337 brawler pilot use Health orb and Blockade. If any of you doubt the power of the blockade + brawler. Go ahead and watch me play brawler on origin in TPG (twitch is linked below).

Internals are really your preference. I personally prefer Adv. Armor Fusor, Deflectors, Basic failsafe/composite armor. Ofc I can't use orblord because of tpg. None the less orblord on brawler is pretty f'ing evil.

Don't rush into bad situations, it has 800 hp but that won't stop 3-4 people from melting you in 3 seconds or less. Help your teammates. Corners are your friend. 

Good luck, If you need any tips feel free to pm me!

Edited by CounterlogicMan, 17 August 2015 - 01:34 PM.

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Raider is best defensive mech.  Because the best defense is a good offense.  Jump in their faces and put on the hurt.  When that doesn't work you have the fastest mech in the game to run away like a little fuzzy bunny.

• MechFighter5e3bf9 and DallasCreeper like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

lo_spaghetto

lo_spaghetto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

EOC + Heat

-never approach head on

-when murdering, do your thing and get out asap. unless your team can somehow push through and break up the enemy formation

-sometimes a fast attack to unload a full charge is good enough to save a few teammates or make the enemy team retreat

-retreat when pursued

-keep cool. don't be overconfident. BUT do watch your fuel and positioning so you can go in and murder as much as possible.

AR

-YOU CAN MURDER but only weak enemies

-only difference is you can stay a bit longer after drawing the enemies' attention

-annoy the crap out of the enemy by flanking

-pop out, take a chunk of their HP, leave when they fight you, repeat

*don't forget to lob random nades 

CitkI9t.jpg

xbIxKeE.png?1

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Stick some orbs, an extractor and a repair kit on a vanguard.

Nothing will stand in your way.

and a smc, (turret mode ) you will survive long enough to use this weapon on everyone at once anyway and it has range and low heat for them long engagements and there will be many 

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Flak Brawler or Heat Gren will come in handy when u play as defensive mech .

Texhnolyzing

Texhnolyzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Hello all, I've playing Hawken for about 2-3 months now and have really enjoyed the game and the tight knit community. I was looking for a new mech to purchase, and after reviewing various guides (Saturnine's, etc) I'm still at a stalemate. SoldierHobbes recommended in a video relating to "finding your playstyle" that for a defensive style (i.e. flanking), he recommends assassins. My first corner play mech was the Brawler, and although I dig the loadout and durability, its far too slow for my preference (although in seige its a can crusher). The Raider resonates with me most, and although it took awhile for me to get accustomed to, its grown to be my favorite mech thus far. So I've narrowed it down to either the Predator or the Infiltrator. If you guys would recommend something else however, that would be choice as well. Thanks.

With a defensive* mech, it really depends on the internals you use and how you define defensive. If you use the Advanced Armor Fusor on a mech and then get tons of assists and lay down suppressive fire you can really become a nuisance and a tank! You need a mech that can do long range to really benefit from tagging enemies from across the map, but having one long range weapon is really all you need. From there just assist anyone on your team who needs it and stay centralized to your teams location. Good luck!

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Defensive mech = Half orblord g2 raider....

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

Defensive mech = Half orblord g2 raider....

eww

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

Ridding the world of evil, one Berzerker at a time.

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

eww

Right...

but funny it kinda works...

r4GY0PF.jpg

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

Right...

but funny it kinda works...

but... orblords are gross. 

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Better an orblord than a scanner scout :P

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

But on a serious note, Nothing says defense like an orblord Manguard with a vulcan, turrets and a sheilds

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

DallasCreeper

DallasCreeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1135 posts

Better an orblord than a scanner scout :P

I mean, its better than any mech with full orblord, comp armor, mk3 orbs, and mk1 scanner

• DemitronPrime and Shade__ like this

Spoiler

2XhpJes.png

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

beside the nice necrothread, I don't get what you mean by "defensive style".

Do you mean tanking, area denial, team support / ennemy spotting, ability to hold a silo in MA all by yourself ?

tank / hold silo : C-class, go for a SA-hawkins brawler, flak brawler in wreckage. Vanguard ain't bad, a better mobility can be useful in MA / Siege but turret mode ain't good enough

area denial : sharp-shooter in open maps, rocketeer in bunker, grenadier in uptown

team support : tech

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

lo_spaghetto

lo_spaghetto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Bruiser with advanced armour fusor

CitkI9t.jpg

xbIxKeE.png?1

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Bruiser with advanced armour fusor

donald-trump-youre-fired.jpg

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users