• This topic is locked This topic is locked
539 replies to this topic

?FTD? eXeon

?FTD? eXeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

I'm very curious how those of you who were bypassing this delay feel after having played the game as it is now for some time. I havent played much since the change but, I'm not as upset about the gameplay as I was when they first implemented it. I still kind of feel like I'm choosing between survivability and damage when I'm caught into a close quarter situation as an A mech, how have you guys adapted?

Anyone elses input is wanted as well

out of topic suggestion: Different raise delay for A/B/C mechs

late edit: Something JeffMagnum did a bit ago

I�m glad to see so much support for getting rid of the weapon raise delay.

MRUy7uS.png

It�s pretty clear that people want it either shortened or gotten rid of entirely. I�d ideally like to see it go, but reducing it would be fine too. The first two responses predictably have a higher average MMR than the third one, but it�s honestly not as large of a gap as I expected.

vkug4QO.png

This info comes from a rather small portion size, you can see more of the info in this thread: https://community.pl...pinions/?p=7115

Edited by Exeon, 29 March 2015 - 06:59 PM.

• PoopSlinger, Lucier and Xacius like this

Fix The Delay

TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Just make a small hop in the air when you're about to attack - with proper timing you'll keep the momentum and will have your weapons ready to fire right when you need them to.

Answering the topic: people adapted just fine and nobody seems to have an issue with it so i'd say leave it as is. There's no need in fixing something that's not broken. 

• Elite_is_salty, Merl61, CrimsonKaim and 4 others like this

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I have finally learned not to hop after every boost.

• phed, nepacaka and Mogote like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

You can try syncing your weapon reload times to your movement while taking the delay into accord, but you will have to be more crafty with your movement. Works wonders with weapons like Flak.

• Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous, Merl61 and 1 other like this

Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

i just started playing more rader after that change ;]

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Just make a small hop in the air when you're about to attack - with proper timing you'll keep the momentum and will have your weapons ready to fire right when you need them to.

Answering the topic: people adapted just fine and nobody seems to have an issue with it so i'd say leave it as is. There's no need in fixing something that's not broken. 

While I adapted fine, I preferred the game before the weapon raise delay.  Combat felt more fluid back then, primarily because I could transition between boosting and attacking without a noticeable "hitch" every time I stopped boosting.  If it were removed again, I'd probably play a hell of a lot more than I do now.

"Answering the topic: people adapted just fine and nobody seems to have an issue with it so i'd say leave it as is. There's no need in fixing something that's not broken. 

This stagnant mentality hinders progress that would otherwise benefit the game.  Your not having an issue with it does not equate to "nobody seems to have an issue with it." 

If given the ability to test a reduced weapon-raise delay, I'd wager that most players would prefer it over the current 500ms delay after every boost.  

Edited by Xacius, 24 March 2015 - 02:14 PM.

• OmegaNull, breadeffect, Lucier and 9 others like this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
I was never around before the delay, but I must say reducing or eliminating it sounds awesome

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Crminimal

Crminimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

It would be a godsend to be honest, the change really broke up the fluidity of the gameplay. Not so much for those that didn't get used to doing it, or don't rely so heavily on movement. It may seem trivial but I really can't get over it. 

• Xacius likes this

mittens800

mittens800

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I still think the delay is pointless.  Makes no sense to me.

• Crminimal, Ker4u, KOS_Baconman and 3 others like this

Duralumi

Duralumi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Forcing the weapon raise delay just made A-classes weaker than they already were and removed an element of gameplay that felt incredibly natural, smooth and increased the game's skill ceiling.

It also indirectly buffed sustained weaponry because people had less movement options in the open.

There's no need in fixing something that's not broken. 

It wasn't broken in the first place.

IIRC they only forced the delay because "it was not intended so it's wrong".

Edited by Duralumi, 24 March 2015 - 03:27 PM.

• Xacius likes this

everything is going to be daijobu

If you have images in your signature, you're part of the reason why I disable them.

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

I barely notice anymore. Though, as Xacius says, I prefered the game before the weapon delay. Allowed for some more... interesting shield play and whatnot. 

• petracles, bluebaron201 and Xacius like this

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

Ker4u

Ker4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Forcing the weapon raise delay just made A-classes weaker than they already were and removed an element of gameplay that felt incredibly natural, smooth and increased the game's skill ceiling.

It also indirectly buffed sustained weaponry because people had less movement options in the open.

and what bothers me the most it buffed defensive play, which was already by far the most effective way to play the game.

Hope devs will at least change  how radar works.

• crockrocket and PCP_MD like this

comic_sans

comic_sans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

I got used to it and don't really miss it, but if it gets removed again I won't miss how it is.

• petracles likes this

100% Hamburger | #becomeinpopcorn

AOTbYIL.png

bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

The reason behind it makes sense to me.

You boost, the weapon 'arms' go back.  It takes some time for them to 'snap' back into place after the boost is done.

IIRC, vana stated that it was a bug that the hop would negate that delay.  I honestly don't recall if it was there in CB or earlier.

• DieselCat and Superkamikazee like this

Test dummy for science, Follower of Wheatons Law, usually hanging around #hawkenscrim and #spawn, occasional poster of YouTube videos and streaming.  Can also be found on twitter

cs5t805.png?2

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

You boost, the weapon 'arms' go back.  It takes some time for them to 'snap' back into place after the boost is done.

IIRC, vana stated that it was a bug that the hop would negate that delay.  I honestly don't recall if it was there in CB or earlier.

YOUR POST IS IRRELEVANT BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT A TOP-TIER PLAYER.

#COOLCLIQUE

• bacon_avenger, IareDave, DerMax and 8 others like this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

I honestly forgot about it. Probably a result of playing the same patch for months.

As for removing/tweaking it: sure why not. Sounds fun.

• comic_sans, hawwk57 and Xacius like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

A bug, sure, but it added to gameplay and made transitioning from boosting to firing feel smooth.  Bug or not, if it enhances gameplay then it should be looked at as a potential feature.  

That animation can always be tweaked as well.  

Edited by Xacius, 24 March 2015 - 07:41 PM.

• Lucier, Nept, -Tj- and 1 other like this

TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

"Answering the topic: people adapted just fine and nobody seems to have an issue with it so i'd say leave it as is. There's no need in fixing something that's not broken. " 

This stagnant mentality hinders progress that would otherwise benefit the game.  

What kind of progress are you talking about? Do you want the game to be even faster? If so, i'd suggest leaving it alone and checking the new UT that's being developed right now, it should give you everything you want Hawken to be so desperately. 

decreased*  Abusing bugs doesn't count for something that requires skill IMO.

• Superkamikazee and Grizzled like this

hestoned

hestoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

if there was to be no delay after jumping then there needs to be no delay after any type of movement. otherwise its just a glitch. which it was. like i said before this HEAVILY favors AC/heat/scout more thany any other mech in the game. its like you guys want people to hate scout more than they already do. if you guys really want to you can just press the heal button after boosting to help slightly cancel the weapon raise animation. of course this requires you to not be at full health.

• LEmental, Lucier, _incitatus and 1 other like this

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

if the delay goes, cool. if it doesnt go away, it wouldnt effect me that much either at this moment

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

I think it unnecessarily slows an already (to me) slow game.  Would enjoy seeing the delay decreased.

• Lucier, -Tj-, M1lkshake and 2 others like this

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

if there was to be no delay after jumping then there needs to be no delay after any type of movement. otherwise its just a glitch. which it was. like i said before this HEAVILY favors AC/heat/scout more thany any other mech in the game. its like you guys want people to hate scout more than they already do. if you guys really want to you can just press the heal button after boosting to help slightly cancel the weapon raise animation. of course this requires you to not be at full health.

That was fixed a while ago.  You can't bypass the delay anymore through those means.  Even if you could, you'd still be stopping all momentum in the process.  

What kind of progress are you talking about? Do you want the game to be even faster? If so, i'd suggest leaving it alone and checking the new UT that's being developed right now, it should give you everything you want Hawken to be so desperately. 

decreased*  Abusing bugs doesn't count for something that requires skill IMO.

It's not a matter of speed, but one of fluidity.

"decreased*  Abusing bugs doesn't count for something that requires skill IMO."

Does a bug automatically reduce a mechanic to a skillless action?  

If so, then the entire SSBM community would like to have a discussion with you.  

Edited by Xacius, 24 March 2015 - 11:47 PM.

• Lucier, spo0n, PCP_MD and 1 other like this

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I could adjust to left moving me right, and right moving me left with practice. Technically reversed controls aren't broken.
But that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

The issue to me, is that this mechanic makes Hawken feel clunky, and more importantly, unresponsive.

And before someone makes the argument that "of course they're clunky, they're mechs", I'm going to ask you to go play Zone of the Enders. Tell me if those mechs feel clunky. "Clunky" is not a requirement for a mech game. But I digress.

The issue of unresponsiveness is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Generally, not just as gamers, but as humans we absolutely hate losing control of our bodies. This is why when people get stunned in games, they get angry. This is why people don't like games with poor, unresponsive controls. This is why people bang monitors when the computer is unresponsive, as a desperate attempt to gain any sort of control. And the weapons raise delay is a loss of responsiveness. A loss of control.

Having control is such a base pleasure that losing it intuitively feels bad. So the question to ask is, "Why are we doing this, and Is it worth making people feel bad for this?"

And if only a certain weapon is gaining an unfair advantage without the delay, then perhaps that weapon needs to be adjusted.

• Lucier, Nept, MomOw and 5 others like this

TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

It's not a matter of speed, but one of fluidity.

Even then, up untill this point i never saw anyone complaining about how the game became less fluid or less responsive due to the fixed weapon raise delay, neither in the game nor on the forums. You guys are the first.

Does a bug automatically reduce a mechanic to a skillless action?  

Yes, if this bug gives you serious advantage over people who don't know or refuse to abuse it.

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Unfortunately hestoned has a point. New players would do nothing but despise the scout. Him and clusterbm would be damn near unstoppable. Especially with cluster's 16 ping on east
  • SOD_CyberTormentor likes this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

Lucier

Lucier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Even then, up untill this point i never saw anyone complaining about how the game became less fluid or less responsive due to the fixed weapon raise delay, neither in the game nor on the forums. You guys are the first.

Then you must not have visited the forums when the bug was fixed. Some people were rather annoyed by it. I know, because I was one of them.

I don't think anyone is asking for the bug to be reintroduced as it was. We just want the post-boost firing delay to be reduced, jump or no jump.

#reducethedelay

• -Tj- and Xacius like this

TheVulong

TheVulong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

#reducethedelay

Stop with that, would ya?

• Lucier likes this

Superkamikazee

Superkamikazee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
I'd like to try the game without the weapon up delay. And while you're at it, nerf radar. I forgot how annoying radar is in this game.

No crew

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

For my worthless two cents on the whole question:

I'm more inclined towards keeping the weapon firing delay after boosting than having weapons being instantly able to fire the moment a player lets go of the boost button.  To me, it feels like that's the way it "should" be... like how it would really work if these mechs were real.  IF the mechs were still able to fire WHILE boosting, I might feel differently... but they don't.  It just seems to me that having no delay after boosting or landing from a jump is just one more step towards the "twitch shooter" genre that I despise.

IF it came down to removing the weapon delay after boosting/landing, I'd sure hope that it comes with a slight decrease in mech speed and a slight increase in time-to-kill.  I do not want to increase the pace of Hawken any more than the last major update.

• DieselCat, thirtysix and (Unknown)1590d2c747fabd like this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Oh, also, "what's wrong with the radar?"  I just don't have any issues with it and am left wondering after reading this topic.

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

For my worthless two cents on the whole question:

I'm more inclined towards keeping the weapon firing delay after boosting than having weapons being instantly able to fire the moment a player lets go of the boost button.  To me, it feels like that's the way it "should" be... like how it would really work if these mechs were real.  IF the mechs were still able to fire WHILE boosting, I might feel differently... but they don't.  It just seems to me that having no delay after boosting or landing from a jump is just one more step towards the "twitch shooter" genre that I despise.

IF it came down to removing the weapon delay after boosting/landing, I'd sure hope that it comes with a slight decrease in mech speed and a slight increase in time-to-kill.  I do not want to increase the pace of Hawken any more than the last major update.

^^^THIS

That said, It sounds like we are having a clash between two styles of gaming (WARNING: I AM BEING VERY GENERAL):

"Simulators" that strive to be realistic

and

"Fantasy" where gamplay is more important

If this were a "Mech Simulator" similar to Panzer Elite or Iron Front: Liberation 1944 then I would argue that the delay of returning the arms after "flight"/boost makes sense. Letting the arms fall back would reduce the stress on the arms and make the mech semi more areodynamic to increase speed/reduce fuel.

If this is a "Mech Fantasy" simialr Gundam or Evangelon then who wants/needs a delay? I should be able to shoot while repairing! Forget about over heat! CARRY ALL THE WEAPONS! Etc

So it seems Hawken is trying to find its identity between the two schools of thought as an FPS with combatants that are more traditionally suited for spread out play.

Thus I don't think you can ever please all the people all the time and it ends up a "creative decision" on the part of the Devs and the question/answer will be debated for eternity...

</trippy-ranty-preachy-thing>

• hammockman22 likes this
A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

http://hawken.mirror...primary-weapon/

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

This dichotomy is actually mentioned here in this thread: https://community.pl...nd-suggestions/

4:39 AM - DerMax: That I understand.  But everyone has their vision of "The Ideal Hawken," and everyone will try their best to convince Josh to go that direction.  What we need to do is agree on things before presenting them to Josh.  It is very difficult, but it must be done.  There will be many holy wars along the way.  Some people want Hawken to be a gritty, post-apocalyptic, closer-to-MWO game.  Some want it closer to UT.

A little link from the "old days" because it seems I lost all my street cred with the forum reboot:

mittens800

mittens800

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

There will be no agreement.

Also tons of people complaining about this when the "bug" was "fixed".

IareDave

IareDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

I was around before the delay was implemented but at the time I was still a new and upcoming player and wasn't involved in the competitive scene. Now, having extensive experience in this game and other fast paced shooters, I would love to have this delay removed to further give the game a faster paced feel. Because lets be honest, the game isn't very fast (and that includes scout). 

• _incitatus, Leonhardt, ?FTD? eXeon and 2 others like this

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

(Unknown)1590d2c747fabd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

I guess the question becomes "Is the game intended to be fast paced"? (Really a question only the Devs and PMs and Creative Directors can answer.)

If "Yes" then all for removing the delay.

If "No" then all for leaving the delay.

If "Dunno" then all for not making any changes till a unified concept and direction is solidified.

• PCP_MD likes this

devotion

devotion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Abusing bugs doesn't count for something that requires skill IMO.

gather round, children, while i sing the tale of gunz online

• LEmental, Predobear, Xacius and 1 other like this

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Oh, also, "what's wrong with the radar?"  I just don't have any issues with it and am left wondering after reading this topic.

Radar in Hawken makes you damn near omnicient. It's extremely powerful when you compare it to the radar of many other shooters.

• Nept, Leonhardt, CounterlogicMan and 1 other like this

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Yes, if this bug gives you serious advantage over people who don't know or refuse to abuse it.

The same argument can be made for people that modify graphics settings, or turn up FOV in the config menu.  

By your logic, we should probably remove the remote-det on secondary weapons because people that have knowledge of it possess a distinct advantage over those that don't.  We'd also need to get rid of extra crosshair customization, internals, items, and any other feature that takes time to understand/comprehend.  

Bug or not, a feature is a feature.  Once fixed, its implementation should be considered in the event that it added something to the game.  Did you know that the entire "skiing" component of Tribes was originally a bug?  In later iterations of the franchise, the developers took that bug and built the games around it.  Tribes wouldn't be what it is today without that "bug."

I'm sick of this "bug==bad" mentality.  All it demonstrates is a lack of higher processing.  

Edited by Xacius, 25 March 2015 - 11:47 AM.

Xacius

Xacius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Radar in Hawken makes you damn near omnicient. It's extremely powerful when you compare it to the radar of many other shooters.

I ran out of likes for the day.  

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

I always like bugs, especially the ones that did add gameplay value. Honestly, the "bug" we are talking about was enjoyable. Really did ad a lot of insane movement potential and really wish it was back. 

#ReduceTheDelay has begun!

• Crminimal, Meraple and Nov8tr like this

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users