• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Over the brief span of days that comprise the rebirth of these forums I have observed members of this community championing the hashtag #IncreaseTheLikes. The premise seems to be that the like limit is an artificial construct and unnaturally limits the sharing of respect, appreciation, agreement and positive vibes granted to a given user by other users. Champions of the hashtag would like the limit to be raised dramatically or done away with entirely. 

At this point, I will admit to some confusion. It stems from two points. The first being that likes are in themselves an artificial construct of the forums, a shortcut to some manner of expression so believing that a limit to them is unnatural seems counter-intuitive to me. The second is that likes are fundamentally frivolous legerdemain designed to bolster our naturally flagging psyche in the face of the uncaring and meaningless void that comprises our lives and, more locally, the Internet, so who cares if they are restricted? 

They are empty of meaning. Think about it. Do you actually appreciate the content of, that is to say "like," that post? Or did it merely momentarily distract you from the drudgery of your existence by giving you a transient glimpse of humour or intelligence or life and it is this is what you are showing appreciation for? Why are these basic capabilities of the human cognitive process worth recognition? When we call their names, we don't reward dogs for recognizing the noise of whatever drivel comes out of our mouths as a signifier for themselves, so why are you rewarding the (often faulty) construction of a reasoned chain of thoughts?

And make no mistake, it is a reward. The next time you notice the little number next to the bell at the top of your screens, analyse the feeling of realizing that you've been liked and you will find that little twinge of pleasure that goes all the way back to getting a candy for using the toilet all by yourself. And the continued dispensation of rewards in this manner results in classical conditioning to produce content of similar value - that is to say, none.

You can understand my confusion that people want to further perpetuate and water down this cycle of essentially worthless content by increasing the number of likes or in fact removing the limit altogether. Why, if you could like anything, there'd be likes on gifs regurgitated from Imgur associated with situations in Hawken. And not even wittily associated! Conditioning ourselves to appreciate mediocre content, a bare break from the dull bleakness of our everyday lives, is slavery to an artificial construct devoid of our input.

Rather than surrendering to the conditioning, you can take charge. Refuse to be heartened by the bare blips on the electroencephalogram that comprise basic human cognitive processes. Look at your fellow posters and realize that 99% of what comes out of their mouths is tripe and not worth appreciating. Is that the quality of thought that you want to hold others to? Do you want others to think so little of you that managing to associate a gif of 300 with holding the AA is worth a reward in their eyes? Think less of the mundane, and recognise only the truly exceptional. Fight the indolence you have been habituated into with alertness and critical thought. Demand a reward of real substance for your excellence, not the diluted, endless likes of the intellectually tepid. Hold yourself, your brothers and your sisters to a higher standard!

You Are Free to Fight.

#SaveYourLikes

• DaPheel, Merl61, _incitatus and 4 others like this

defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

#dislike

Freak.

• SS396, Estif, DaPheel and 2 others like this

defekt_inv.jpg

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Increase the likes, so I can horde them and become king of the "Likes" again! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously though. I rarely run out of Likes. Perhaps some people are just to liberal with their allocation.

• Lucier and DaPheel like this

defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

I wasn't aware that there was a limit.  Perhaps I'm just [miserable|discerning|bitter].  :teehee:

• DaPheel likes this

defekt_inv.jpg

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Need moar likes.

• DaPheel likes this

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
This is basically my favorite post on the forums other than the one where Setonious told someone that they most certainly did not want to have my children.
lol'd.
I have to say I've come to not mind the limit.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 26 March 2015 - 01:02 PM.

• DaPheel likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I didn't know we had one. 

• DaPheel and CraftyDus like this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Deep down inside you live for this sorta fuzzy bunny, admit it

iJwG1mG.png

• DaPheel likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I've never run out of likes. I can assure any of you who I liked your post, I found it not only worth my time, but was either:

A) agreed with

B) enjoyed reading

C) all of the above

Well that's my old 2 pennies worth. Your mileage may vary. :D

Edited by Nov8tr, 26 March 2015 - 03:04 PM.

• DaPheel likes this

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Sometimes I wish this was like twitter and you only had 140 characters to say what you are gunna say.

I started reading this and overwhelmingly felt like it was written by a politician. Can you just get to the point already?

• DaPheel likes this

SigmaOmega

SigmaOmega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Its all good and fun until someone loses an eye. By eye, I mean people abusing the system. You know there out there.

• DaPheel and defekt like this

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I started reading this and overwhelmingly felt like it was written by a politician. Can you just get to the point already?

Nihilist Party 2016

Edited by JeffMagnum, 26 March 2015 - 11:47 PM.

• DaPheel likes this

d1eZeG3.png

DaPheel

DaPheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

NOOOOOO. MY PLAN DIDN'T WORK! THIS THREAD NEEDS MOAR POSTS, SO THAT I CAN LIKE THINGS UNTIL I'VE RUN OUT...

HOW CAN I COMPLAIN ABOUT RUNNING OUT WHEN I HAVEN'T!

EXPLOSIONS?

AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Like this post if you smell like turnips.

• Teljaxx the Unintentional likes this

Teljaxx the Unintentional

Teljaxx the Unintentional

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

If I caint get dem likes, then how will I be able to justify the digital social interactions that have completely taken over my social life because I have no real friends?!? PLEASE DON'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM MEEEEEE!!!!

Ahem...

The main use I see in the like system is being able to show that you agree with someone without having to clog up the forums with pointless posts like this:

Thing I agree with.

^What he said.

And, thanks to the laziness of many internet users, if they did not have the ability to leave such a simple reply as clicking a single button, then they might not bother to leave one at all. So an idea that they supported may not look like anyone agreed with it, because no one bothered to say so.

As for increasing the amount of likes per day: The main reason I ever run out is because of that insidious Hawken in a Nutshell Gif thread. But for any other threads, I usually have plenty. So if the amount were to be increased, I doubt it would need to be all that much, maybe 30 or so.

Either that, or we could make the system more complex. How about we have two different types of likes? You get "Serious Likes" which are for things like gameplay suggestions you agree with, or other serious discussions, and you get "Silly Likes" which are for things like the Thread of Pointlessness and the Hawken Gif thread. You only get 15 Serious Likes per day, like now, but you also get infinite Silly Likes. You can like any post with either type, but it shows what type you used, and people can see that if you used a Serious Like, you really mean it.

Me are always recall near what beauty I quench thy water at dost hast jest if clubly pink codpiece shall torment yon melancholy questioned bare peach to see whatsoever hitherto delicate purple sausage mans.

BlueOrb.gif

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

If I caint get dem likes, then how will I be able to justify the digital social interactions that have completely taken over my social life because I have no real friends?!? PLEASE DON'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM MEEEEEE!!!!

Ahem...

The main use I see in the like system is being able to show that you agree with someone without having to clog up the forums with pointless posts like this:

^What he said.

And, thanks to the laziness of many internet users, if they did not have the ability to leave such a simple reply as clicking a single button, then they might not bother to leave one at all. So an idea that they supported may not look like anyone agreed with it, because no one bothered to say so.

As for increasing the amount of likes per day: The main reason I ever run out is because of that insidious Hawken in a Nutshell Gif thread. But for any other threads, I usually have plenty. So if the amount were to be increased, I doubt it would need to be all that much, maybe 30 or so.

Either that, or we could make the system more complex. How about we have two different types of likes? You get "Serious Likes" which are for things like gameplay suggestions you agree with, or other serious discussions, and you get "Silly Likes" which are for things like the Thread of Pointlessness and the Hawken Gif thread. You only get 15 Serious Likes per day, like now, but you also get infinite Silly Likes. You can like any post with either type, but it shows what type you used, and people can see that if you used a Serious Like, you really mean it.

+1

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: likes, forum, community, SaveYourLikes, satire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users