XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Self-explanatory?

Edit: Oops, wrong section. Mods?

Edited by XPloyt, 22 May 2016 - 08:53 PM.

• dorobo, DerMax, Guns_N_Rozer and 8 others like this

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

nice, i am avoiding playing with a controller cause i love it so much on console =D would get hooked and be debating forever about which scheme i do better with so ill stick to kb mouse but i do miss the ability to turn my head or walk proportionaly and be able to circle an enemy at max speed without mouse pad issues, pros n cons ill never fully descide if i tried. i think battlefield bad company 2 on console is a great example of analog sticks done right giving you precision and speed using propper dampening smoothing stuff many games (elder scrolls) suck very bad with

• XPloyt likes this

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Good video. How fast can you turn 360° with your thumbstick at the extreme position?

The Y axis speed is indeed set up to be lower than the X axis speed by default. Probably something the devs didn't consider or thought that vertical combat wouldn't matter as much.

What caught my attention however was how deadzone was presented, as deadzone means a threshold for input which gets ignored and it shouldn't affect output like that (perpendicular vectors as you showed at 0:26) unless you're operating at the very edge of the deadzone threshold, in which situation likely one or both inputs gets ignored.

Deadzones are set up because of actuator misalignment (it won't be perfectly at the center ever), jitter/noise, and for responsitivity when you decide to stop giving input, it stops giving output faster. Of course, the controller driver might very well have its own deadzone set up at a sensible value, in which case it makes sense to set the game deadzone for the thumbsticks to 0 or very close to it.

• XPloyt likes this

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

You are def tempting me to try controller play man,

I got a Saitek Ps2/ps3 style controller...

I might give this a go

• XPloyt likes this

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Good video. How fast can you turn 360° with your thumbstick at the extreme position?

Thanks! I did this test about a year ago. If I recall, it was at 1.7 seconds. Basically I was trying to find the fastest rotation at the lowest possible sensitivity, allowing for full range; That's at 340 (for anybody that cares to know).

The Y axis speed is indeed set up to be lower than the X axis speed by default. Probably something the devs didn't consider or thought that vertical combat wouldn't matter as much.

I'm glad you could point that out. I didn't want to make that bold claim because I was unsure...so, I'm not crazy then.

I don't see any good reason to gimp controllers when there is a sensitivity setting(because in the name of PC fps gaming "who uses a controller?"), unless there was some keyboard and mouse brands Adhesive was trying to push...I wasn't here before 2013, but if I were in the business, that would be a good way to sell some kb's&m. Then, when confronted, it could be seen as a mistake.

What caught my attention however was how deadzone was presented, as deadzone means a threshold for input which gets ignored and it shouldn't affect output like that (perpendicular vectors as you showed at 0:26) unless you're operating at the very edge of the deadzone threshold, in which situation likely one or both inputs gets ignored.

Deadzones are set up because of actuator misalignment (it won't be perfectly at the center ever), jitter/noise, and for responsitivity when you decide to stop giving input, it stops giving output faster. Of course, the controller driver might very well have its own deadzone set up at a sensible value, in which case it makes sense to set the game deadzone for the thumbsticks to 0 or very close to it.

Yes! Exactly! I wasn't hitting both axis at the same time! That has always been a problem.

Honestly, reducing the deadzone has done little, from what I can tell...well, on the left joystick, it's very prominent because there's isn't any range of movement to begin with; you're either moving in that direction or you're not - so I'm moving in that direction a microsecond faster. With the right joystick, it might just be a placebo. Maybe it's the deadzone on the Xbox One Elite, but, I have to bang on the side of it to get any movement, so, reducing the deadzone at this point(because I've been using it like that for only a few days), I've only seen a 20% accuracy increase in my fine-tuned movements. That's just my guess at the moment.

Edited by XPloyt, 22 May 2016 - 11:51 PM.

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

You are def tempting me to try controller play man,

I got a Saitek Ps2/ps3 style controller...

I might give this a go

Disclaimer: I use back paddles

I don't want to mislead anybody - and I think it's great if people can play, perhaps, with a controller they already own - but the back paddles make the most difference in my eyes. Not saying it's impossible, but just being able to keep my thumbs on the sticks while having everything else available to my other fingers means alot to me, for the sake of even keeping up with the really good players.

But by all means, go for it!

Edited by XPloyt, 23 May 2016 - 12:00 AM.

• DemitronPrime likes this

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

This has 4 back peddles, just like xbox or ps3 etc...

curious to your control lay out however...

both weapons, dodge and modify on back four?

items, team commands etc on the other bottons?

r4GY0PF.jpg

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2058 posts

????? 

Rn3o2jK.jpg
oh, wrong letters on keyboard...too fast typing xD

noice! gud speed!

also, in config you can use similar settings for mouse. it based on origanal unreal3 mouse setting. the same effect which give you speed... if be more correct, it not give you turn speed, but make mouse less "wacky", but start required from player extremely accuracy with aim xD

Edited by nepacaka, 23 May 2016 - 12:27 AM.

• XPloyt, Guns_N_Rozer and Miscellaneous like this

Kompotka 3000. 2D ha?ken game: https://community.pl...ve/?hl=kompotka

Interceptor, B-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...itdefence-mech/

Challenger, C-Class mech concept: https://community.pl...ccepted-thread/

G2-Brawler, C-class mech concept: https://community.pl...pacaka-is-here/

Kinetik, B-class mech concept: https://community.pl...ass-shotgunner/

Melter, A-class mech concept: https://community.pl...-class-support/

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Ok i gave it a quick test run...

this is my issue...

hawken config doesnt allow me to set the analog sticks for move and look...

when i push right stick up, the mech looks left....

it tried to make me use Dpad for movement and yet pushing forward the mech shudders but will not walk

Edited by DemitronPrime, 23 May 2016 - 12:29 AM.

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

This has 4 back peddles, just like xbox or ps3 etc...

curious to your control lay out however...

both weapons, dodge and modify on back four?

items, team commands etc on the other bottons?

Ah, you gotz da paddlez. I did a quick search on the controller you named and I didn't see it there. I'm not well-versed with back-paddle controllers, just the Scuf 360 and XB1 Elite.

I don't think my layout is necessarily the best, but it's based more on accessibility. I could have bigger hands and longer fingers. lol

I have commands on the top back paddles (it was the outer left and right paddles on the Scuf). Basically, the pair of paddles that take less priority to that comfortable center for your hand, which will allow for a quick tap and minimizes disjointing your movement. The other paddles have ability and weapon modifier, the ones that allows you to maintain better mech control after tapping them.

• Left shoulder, primary; right shoulder, secondary.
  • Left trigger is actually another weapon utility, solely for SS, allowing me maintain more precise control over the thumbsticks, as I'm not "reaching" for the paddle on the back.
  • Right trigger, use item. This allows you to go on your merry way while being able to "charge" your item. You can also slip your index finger over it in a jiffy while in battle, and if you're one of those people who can play with their middle and index fingers simultaneously without losing control of the thumbsticks, then you're taking it to another level.
  • D-up, repair. Most of the time, it's not critical to move you mech moments before or after repairing, but it is vital to repair, so have it closest to the joystick.
  • D-down, switch item. I don't want to switch items accidentally, so I keep it opposite of repair, keeping me from doing both at the same time.
  • Left joystick, jump; right joystick, dodge modifier. They're both important functions, why not keep them under your thumbs when you're moving?

That about wraps it up. There's room for improvement, I'm sure, but it seems to me that it's going to come down to playstyle.

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Ok i gave it a quick test run...

this is my issue...

hawken config doesnt allow me to set the analog sticks for move and look...

when i push right stick up, the mech looks left....

it tried to make me use Dpad for movement and yet pushing forward the mech shudders but will not walk

I had a similar issue back in the day. This is all I know: don't mess with your joysticks. Reset them if you did, as they should work by default. 

• DemitronPrime likes this

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

61MUjMF-25L._SX522_.jpg

Saitek p480

is the controller make

I will keep playing with it, I may need one of those programs to calibrate it better than the windows settings does

r4GY0PF.jpg

2XhpJes.png

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

I've been playing Hawken with a controller since it came out.  It plays fine.  I often like to screw with my teammates heads at the start of the match by standing in the player spawn area with my look stick pointed fully left or right, spinning in a fast, endless, smooth circle.  People are like, "What the hell is wrong with your mech, did you lag out... or are you cheating?"

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

Nept

Nept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

I'm glad you could point that out. I didn't want to make that bold claim because I was unsure...so, I'm not crazy then.

I don't see any good reason to gimp controllers when there is a sensitivity setting(because in the name of PC fps gaming "who uses a controller?"), unless there was some keyboard and mouse brands Adhesive was trying to push...I wasn't here before 2013, but if I were in the business, that would be a good way to sell some kb's&m. Then, when confronted, it could be seen as a mistake.

I might be misreading this section, but I doubt the X and Y sensitivity differences are meant to gimp controllers.  It's even possible (perhaps probable) that the original developers weren't aware.  It's a "feature" built into most Unreal 3 engine games, and it's easy to disable via ini modifications.

XPloyt

XPloyt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I might be misreading this section, but I doubt the X and Y sensitivity differences are meant to gimp controllers.  It's even possible (perhaps probable) that the original developers weren't aware.  It's a "feature" built into most Unreal 3 engine games, and it's easy to disable via ini modifications.

Hi Nept! 

• Amidatelion likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users